PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 09:51 AM
It seems very peculiar to me, that there are so many ham radio items showing up from "SK Estates". I see it more and more on the for sale sites, in the radio rags, and even CL and places like that. Is this a sympathy ploy? If so, it doesn't work for this hard hearted bastid. And what the fuck did the spouses of all theses dead hams do with all the fucking microphones? Bury them with the ops?

"XX radio for sale from SK estate. Mic not included." or

"All the tubes light up, and noise comes from the speaker. Could not test unit because I have no mic" or

"I am a Extra and my Elmer died. His XYL wants to sell all his stuff. Everything is 'ASIS' since I don't know how to turn anything on and test it. I can't find the mic, anyway".

And then, two listings down:

"Mic for XX radio from a friends SK Estate for sale. Mic only, does not include radio"; and then a few listings later, the operating manuals show up. WTF? or this

"Just back from factory repair, and the dial lamps were replaced. Everything minty. except The band switch has to be held half way between bands during transmit".

And of course everything is a 9++ in their opinion, but always needs a little TLC, no matter how long it's been in a flooded basement. But IT COMES FROM A NON SMOKER. The price? Full new retail plus 30%, plus shipping, plus 25% to cover PayPal fees. (And their next vacation)

Are we dying off at such an accelerated rate, and only the maroons are surviving? Maybe we should change hobbies and get into something with better longevity numbers.

W5BRM
05-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Greed wrapped in dishonesty and tied off with a ribbon of deceit. Thats all it is. That's also part of the reason I dont buy used stuff.

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Greed wrapped in dishonesty and tied off with a ribbon of deceit. Thats all it is. That's also part of the reason I dont buy used stuff.

Roger that, although I will still buy used stuff. I'm just careful about it.

KG4CGC
05-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Maybe Martin found a new angle.

PA5COR
05-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Bought my "new" Ft 2000-D from the dealer that showed it to me and demonstrated it, and gave 2 yyear full warranty all for 1875 euro's ( new 3200 euro's)
Have it for 2 years now, no problems and the good feeling i didn't buy a lemon.

N7YA
05-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Maybe its ads placed by makers of new gear.

Considering hams are old, frugal and suspicious about everything, and will take a stand on shit that leaves the rest of society wondering what the big deal is...its likely a psychological ploy to get the OF's to say "Im not buying that junk! Its a ripoff, i tells ya, A RIPOFF!!! Im only buying new! Baaaaah!"

And another Yaesu or Icom is shipped to the door. Another wife shakes her head. :D

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Maybe its ads placed by makers of new gear.

Considering hams are old, frugal and suspicious about everything, and will take a stand on shit that leaves the rest of society wondering what the big deal is...its likely a psychological ploy to get the OF's to say "Im not buying that junk! Its a ripoff, i tells ya, A RIPOFF!!! Im only buying new! Baaaaah!"

And another Yaesu or Icom is shipped to the door. Another wife shakes her head. :D

See, that's the reason you need to have a bunch of radios and a really cluttered shack. It makes it harder for the XYL to spot the new stuff.

WØTKX
05-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Model train estate collections tend to be more lucrative. :dunno:

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Model train estate collections tend to be more lucrative. :dunno:

If they're good quality to begin with, model trains tend to increase in value over time. Ham radio gear, not so much.

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 08:10 PM
So, hams are on the wrong track?

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
So, hams are on the wrong track?

Yeah. They should switch before they run right off the rails. Who knows how things will turnout if they don't.

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Yeah. They should switch before they run right off the rails. Who knows how things will turnout if they don't.

Shirley I don't know how things will turnout, but diesel be something else for me to think about.

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Shirley I don't know how things will turnout, but diesel be something else for me to think about.

Well, you know Shirley holds you in high esteam, but don't blow your whistle too loudly. You could send her the wrong signal and she'll flatten you with a roundhouse right.

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, you know Shirley holds you in high esteam, but don't blow your whistle too loudly. You could send her the wrong signal and she'll flatten you with a roundhouse right.

Just watch out for her caboose. She almost hurt me a coupler times.

NQ6U
05-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Just watch out for her caboose. She almost hurt me a coupler times.

She's got some loco motives, for sure.

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Just don't even think about taking her steamer to Cleveland.

She doesn't conductor self very well.

W3WN
05-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Just watch out for her caboose. She almost hurt me a coupler times.Watch it. She's getting pretty steamed.

BTW, do you know who her favorite composer is? Coal Porter.

K7SGJ
05-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Watch it. She's getting pretty steamed.

BTW, do you know who her favorite composer is? Coal Porter.

Ha! You gonna be here all week?

N7YA
05-04-2014, 10:54 PM
I see we are going full steam with puns.

NA4BH
05-04-2014, 11:16 PM
I see we are going full steam with puns.

Everybody's acting like they're from the Northern Pacific, it makes my head go clickity clack sometimes.

KG4CGC
05-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Everybody's acting like they're from the Northern Pacific, it makes my head go clickity clack sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odXnKhKBxQ

N7YA
05-05-2014, 12:10 AM

I know this thread is engineered to be conducted into a long line of puns, but i dont see how this ties in.

W7XF
05-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Here, I'll derail it.

W3WN
05-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Ha! You gonna be here all week?Try the veal. And don't forget to tip your waitress.

W9JEF
05-05-2014, 08:53 AM

http://www.fanzorate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/arkansas.jpg

WØTKX
05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
http://www.squidworks.com/Anthology/cheesecake/cover.jpg

kb2vxa
05-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Very cheesy!

NM5TF
05-05-2014, 10:50 PM
there is NOT enuff eye bleach in the entire universe to cleanse that from my fried eyes...fuck me jeebus

K7SGJ
05-05-2014, 11:25 PM
there is NOT enuff eye bleach in the entire universe to cleanse that from my fried eyes...fuck me jeebus

Have it your way. That's jeebus sitting on the couch.

kb2vxa
05-06-2014, 02:18 AM
OMG! WHAT HAVE I DONE? Oh well, there's always CW and you know which KNOB does what....... Returning to the Island may take time, we'll install a text reader and Braille keyboard. Sorry 'bout that chief.