PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu FT-101E

koØm
05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
My Yaesu FT-101E has been just sitting on the desk being used as a Propagation Detector; if I hear voices coming from it, then I know that 10 meters is open as well. Such a waste of a good radio.

I have been using my Solid State radio for the lower bands but I am going to Tune the Hollow State radio up on 40 meters tonight and see if they notice on the receiving end.

On Edit:

It needs work.

N8YX
05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I had an FL-101/FR-101D combo at one time as well and an FT-201/FR-101S pair. Sold them.

I now have a bunch of FT-301s. If I can find another FT-301S (low-power analog version) which can be used as a project rig I'm going to turn two of those radios into ham-band receive-only setups and pair them with their respective transceivers. The 301S will be turned into an SWBCB rig.

W3WN
05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Drakes.
Cubics.
Ten-Tecs.
Yaesus.

Fred? How many radios do you have? You're not trying to be the East Coast extension of the world famous Crest Radio Museum, are you? Or do I have to start buying you Ramen as well?

KC2UGV
05-06-2014, 07:39 AM
The wife would kill me if I added another radio... But, what she don't know...

And don't tell her Kelli! :P

N8YX
05-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Drakes.
Cubics.
Ten-Tecs.
Yaesus.

Fred? How many radios do you have? You're not trying to be the East Coast extension of the world famous Crest Radio Museum, are you? Or do I have to start buying you Ramen as well?
Nope...I just restore some of them and send them on their way. Others become modification candidates. I love to hot-rod things. :yes:

K7SGJ
05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Nope...I just restore some of them and send them on their way. Others become modification candidates. I love to hot-rod things. :yes:

And that's what it's all about. Or was that the hokey pokey?

N8YX
05-16-2014, 07:31 PM
There currently is a completely chromed out FT-101EE setup in the flea market - rig, VFO, YO-100 scope, FL-2100B, SP-101B and a YC-650 counter - for $1k.

I'm betting it comes complete with 11M crystals. And the brown wire is snipped.

KJ3N
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
No Excuses.

kb2vxa
05-18-2014, 10:33 AM
No problem, I knew a CBer who used an FT-101EE/FL-2100B combo and because he knew the proper way to use them he sounded perfect on AM and SSB, only a little spatter on adjacent channels too.

I can't say I wasn't "pushing power" either, still I had no complaints about bothering anybody, except maybe one. Once upon a midnight dreary while I pondered weak and weary, who should come on the channel complaining I stepped on his mobile only a mile away but one of those shore people. I was up north at the time on top of a 350ft AMSL hill, and could barely hear a guy I was talking with across town through all the "skip". I just told him at the time he wasn't even a bump in the 20dB/S9 noise level so how was I to know? Oh, that's a Courier 1-M atop the Hallicrafters general coverage receiver I used for QRP and a receiver for when the chips were down, the only rig at the time with a triple conversion receiver and ultimate selectivity.

koØm
05-19-2014, 07:20 AM
There currently is a completely chromed out FT-101EE setup in the flea market - rig, VFO, YO-100 scope, FL-2100B, SP-101B and a YC-650 counter - for $1k.

I'm betting it comes complete with 11M crystals. And the brown wire is snipped.

I saw that setup and I'm thinking that unless a collector like Pat came along, that station was going to go back home in the box still complete and looking pretty.

kb2vxa
05-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Completely chromed = completely ruined, just like the time a friend and I spotted a restored Viking Valiant, nicely repainted and re-lettered looking like it just came from the factory except for one thing, sprayed with shiny clear lacquer. There was a crowd looking at it when we sidled over and I exclaimed to my friend in a loud voice "I never saw a Valiant looking like that, lacquer is the best way I've seen yet to ruin an otherwise perfect restoration. I wouldn't give him 2c for that piece of shit!" There suddenly appeared a look of blood in the seller's eyes, we beat a hasty retreat with the sound of laughter behind us as the crowd dispersed.

n2ize
07-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Oh yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Completely chromed = completely ruined, just like the time a friend and I spotted a restored Viking Valiant, nicely repainted and re-lettered looking like it just came from the factory except for one thing, sprayed with shiny clear lacquer. There was a crowd looking at it when we sidled over and I exclaimed to my friend in a loud voice "I never saw a Valiant looking like that, lacquer is the best way I've seen yet to ruin an otherwise perfect restoration. I wouldn't give him 2c for that piece of shit!" There suddenly appeared a look of blood in the seller's eyes, we beat a hasty retreat with the sound of laughter behind us as the crowd dispersed.

If he could desecrate a Valiant like that on the outside imagine what he may have done to the inside. I once got (for free) a Viking 2 that was severely desecrated by some CB'ers. I keep it as a backup parts rig for my current and working Viking 2.