PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I have to admit...

KC2UGV
04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Automatic matchers are pretty cool... Just ordered one (LDG Z718) to go with the FT817 I just bought. It's neat hearing the relays all go when getting it's match :)

Now, this thing said it can't be used with long wire antennas... Am I just stuck with doublets with this? Kinda liking the idea of just tossing one wire into a tree.

KG4CGC
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Maybe a LW with proper balun?

NQ6U
04-30-2014, 06:17 PM
A balun would work as long as you grounded the unused side of it to a real earth ground. A counterpoise might work too, but either one of those options could be more trouble than it's worth for portable QRP work.

KC2UGV
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Yeah, kinda what I thought. Oh well, two wires into trees!

KG4CGC
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
A balun would work as long as you grounded the unused side of it to a real earth ground. A counterpoise might work too, but either one of those options could be more trouble than it's worth for portable QRP work.

If you're going to throw a wire in a tree, you can coil a counterpoise around the trunk a few time and terminate it to a spike into a root or if the ground in your area is conductive, like it is here, you're set. A little more work but not too much.

I realize we're not talking LW tuners, in which case MFJ make a Mighty Fine Jump.

KJ3N
04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Now, this thing said it can't be used with long wire antennas... Am I just stuck with doublets with this? Kinda liking the idea of just tossing one wire into a tree.

You can probably use a 4:1 balun, assuming you attach a counterpoise to one end.

On another note, this is why I still prefer manual tuners. Many of them are much more flexible in what types of antennas you can use with them. A perfect example is the MFJ-901B (http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-901B). It will accept just about anything.

NQ6U
04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah, kinda what I thought. Oh well, two wires into trees!

You could use a sloper dipole. Or, if that doesn't do it, an isotropic radiator.

NA4BH
04-30-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/296081.jpg

suddenseer
04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
You can probably use a 4:1 balun, assuming you attach a counterpoise to one end.

On another note, this is why I still prefer manual tuners. Many of them are much more flexible in what types of antennas you can use with them. A perfect example is the MFJ-901B (http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-901B). It will accept just about anything.This. Happiness is directly proportional to the number of knobs, and switches at hand to twist, and flip.

K7SGJ
04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Automatic matchers are pretty cool... Just ordered one (LDG Z718) to go with the FT817 I just bought. It's neat hearing the relays all go when getting it's match :)

It looks like if you use a 1:1 current balun between the random wire and the tuner, it shouldn't be a problem. When I bought my 817, I looked at this ATU, but for this reason I went with the Elecraft T1 kit. It works great with just about anything hooked to it. FYI, Elecraft also has a balun kit that is a 4:1 or 1:1 switchable. It will work with your setup, no problem. I have a couple of them that I use for testing and whatnot, and they work very well. It is a compact little unit, and will fit in the bag just fine. Although I rarely need to use it, I still carry one with my 817 bag-o-shit. Occasionally a 4:1 or 1:1 balun comes in very handy.