PDA

View Full Version : Ever worked in a restaurant?

W9JEF
04-29-2014, 01:07 PM

According to National Geographic, "Half of all American adults
have worked in a restaurant at some point in their lives."

Q. What do you call a radio broadcast engineer who was displaced by deregulation?

A. "Pizza Man."

Did it from 1990 through 1996.

W7XF
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
:sleep::sleep:

wa6mhz
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
I worked in one when I was about 16. SURE ATE GOOD!!!

N2NH
04-29-2014, 07:42 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/15q21oi.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/MetalHead467/Dancing%20Milk/SpiltMilk.gif

http://i59.tinypic.com/28rh5vl.jpg

W9JEF
04-30-2014, 08:19 AM
I worked in one when I was about 16. SURE ATE GOOD!!!

Sugar, starches, sodium, cholesterol--all the better stuff
when you get to make your own pizza. While making deliveries,
I ate a mixture of salted sunflower seeds and green olives
from the salad bar, washed down with Pepsi.

When not on the road, I'd take orders over the phone,
assemble pizza boxes, wash dishes, and clean toilets.

Had an '82 Mazda pickup, with about 200K on the odometer.
Good thing it was easy to work on, as with all the start/stop driving,
had to replace many a brake pad, as well as starters, and eventually,
the 5-speed transmission. One night the fuel pump gave out. A fellow employee
got a new one for me at AutoZone, and I was back in business.

Tips were mostly good. One delivery I'll always remember was at a Motel.
Two guys, and a naked, fairly good-looking gal passed out on the bed
(which, apparently turned out to be my tip).

In about 6 years, had over 10K accident-free hours logged.
Various awards along the way included a monogrammed Pizza Hut jacket,
a Sony boom box, and my choice of a cruise or $1200. I took the cash.

W2NAP
04-30-2014, 08:42 AM
nope never did any food related stuff.

wa6mhz
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
My last restaurant job was the VILLAGE INN In Naperville, IL. I was probably 17 or 18 by then
Had some great times there. I was one of the older cooks. The place was basically like an IHOP.
so one day I noticed they had all these left over tubs of juice from Blueberries and strawberries. I stashed those in the cooler and came up with some powdered Yeast. I put it in the tubs and the next day we had some great WINE the next evening! But by the 3rd day it had turned to VINEGAR! So much for that idea.

Then one day the boss told me to clean behind the grill we cooked pancakes on. there were 2 grills. as I moved one, no one had told me the condiment tray holding all the sauces and berries was only held up by the 2 stoves!, so that went all over the floor. The boss came roaring in and cut his hand trying to pickup the tray.
SO I was summarily fired on the spot. SOMEONE had to pay this mess and It was me!
I just loved that place and did a great job of cooking for them.. I still do great pancakes to this day (for our Kiwanis Club!)

N7YA
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I was a long time restaurant worker...back of house, front of house. I was a server trainer, fountain trainer, crew lead and shift supervisor...i will NEVER do that crap again!

W2NAP
05-02-2014, 03:52 PM
I was a long time restaurant worker...back of house, front of house. I was a server trainer, fountain trainer, crew lead and shift supervisor...i will NEVER do that crap again!

idk why but I read the end as shit supervisor....

N7YA
05-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Then you read correctly.

KG4CGC
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM

W9JEF
05-04-2014, 09:49 PM
My last restaurant job was the VILLAGE INN In Naperville, IL. I was probably 17 or 18 by then
Had some great times there. I was one of the older cooks. The place was basically like an IHOP.
so one day I noticed they had all these left over tubs of juice from Blueberries and strawberries. I stashed those in the cooler and came up with some powdered Yeast. I put it in the tubs and the next day we had some great WINE the next evening! But by the 3rd day it had turned to VINEGAR! So much for that idea.

Then one day the boss told me to clean behind the grill we cooked pancakes on. there were 2 grills. as I moved one, no one had told me the condiment tray holding all the sauces and berries was only held up by the 2 stoves!, so that went all over the floor. The boss came roaring in and cut his hand trying to pickup the tray.
SO I was summarily fired on the spot. SOMEONE had to pay this mess and It was me!
I just loved that place and did a great job of cooking for them.. I still do great pancakes to this day (for our Kiwanis Club!)

About a couple blocks south of the Springdale Pizza Hut where I worked,
was this huge mega church. The compound was quite spread out,
and you could depend on directions where to deliver it to be sketchy;
much time was wasted just finding the customer. And the tip???
---except for the chance to be "saved," FORGET IT.

Wednesday nights were HELL if your delivery destination was to the southwest.
When their prayer meeting let out, everyone couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Normally you could cut through an adjacent parking lot, and make a left,
but impossible with all those cars backed up at the traffic light.
Do you think any of those "Christians" would let you cut through?

KG4CGC
05-04-2014, 10:13 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/Digital_Underground_Humpty_1_201215293823_std_zps2 a0178e0.jpg

n6hcm
05-05-2014, 04:22 AM
nope. closest i came was working in a convenience store (village pantry ... do they still exist?). i used to make the donuts ...

N7YA
05-05-2014, 09:35 AM

N2NH
05-06-2014, 06:45 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/23hu9nn.jpg