PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy?

KC2UGV
04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
So, I've settled on buying a Yaesu FT-817nd. Originally, I was going to buy from Universal, but then checked HRO, and they're about 30 bucks cheaper.

Does HRO skimp on "extra" accessories, or is Universal just listing standard accessories as "extra freebies"?

W5BRM
04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Try gigaparts. Cheapest I've seen

K7SGJ
04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes, Gigaparts is generally less. I bought mine from HRO, and got the whole enchilada included. Although they were a little higher than Gigaparts, I try to support the local folks. Most don't, and that is why there aren't any other dealers left. In a large city like Phoenix, there used to be a bunch of them. When I do make a major purchase from HRO, I always ask them if they can knock off a few bux to be a bit more competitive, and they usually do. Although I've never had any issues with the stuff I have purchased from HRO, if I had, they would have taken care of it pronto, and for me, they are only an hour away, which is a lot better than boxing everything up and paying to ship it somewhere. That in itself would probably eat up any savings. BTW, you'll love that little radio, it's a hoot to operate. And, if you travel any, it's great for motel mobile.

W5BRM
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I've also seen a few video's on getting the bhi DSP module and how that is a major improvement on the recieve on the 817nd. W4RT sells them as either a user install or they can install it for you. It's a bit pricey but from what I've seen its worth the extra if you are going to use it a lot.

I've been seriously researching this rig and when I get the funds I am considering getting it... either it or the KX3 but the 817 with the dsp mod is still much cheaper then the kx3 so decisions decisions...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapLGif4qO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3L4i3Ebg8

W2NAP
04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
check out R+L out of Hamilton,Ohio.

K7SGJ
04-21-2014, 09:07 PM
The only mods I've done to mine was to add the W4RT SSB filter to it. I was contemplating the dual CW/SSB filter, but I didn't think I'd do enough CW to make it worthwhile. They really are an amazing little rig. I also have the ICOM IC-703+, and although it has the built in AT, I really prefer the 817, due to it's size and weight. I bought the Elecraft T1, 20 Watt autotuner for it, and love the size (about the size of a pack of cigs) and how well it works. I think it could load the 817 to a lawn chair or a Volkswagen.

KB3LAZ
04-22-2014, 05:53 AM
I prefer HRO and AES (in no particular order). Gigaparts is normally a few bucks cheaper but I have had issues with both them and Universal. The same problem, items being marked as in stock on the web but really being on back order. More of an annoyance than a problem.

Due to proximity I normally get things from AES in 24-48 hours.

As for acc's; if you mean those listed in the description at the top of the page then those are standard. If you mean the list at the bottom of the page then those are extra and do not come with the radio at either place.

I don't think it is a big deal, go with whichever company you want but call to make sure your radio is actually in stock and shipping.

KC2UGV
04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Ended up buying from AES, for no other reason than they had a store closest to me, and (For no real reason), HRO's site was irritating me. Again, nothing to do with anything technical on their site, it just did. It really was 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. My rig should ship today. It's my first brandy-new, minty radio :)

W5BRM
04-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Grats on buying it! Once u get to know the rig, post a review pros cons etc. like i said, I'm looking into one myself. Last new rig i bought was back in '03. Bought a 706mkiig which i still havve. It doesnt work at the moment though. Need to find a good tech to look into it at some point

KC2UGV
04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Grats on buying it! Once u get to know the rig, post a review pros cons etc. like i said, I'm looking into one myself. Last new rig i bought was back in '03. Bought a 706mkiig which i still havve. It doesnt work at the moment though. Need to find a good tech to look into it at some point

Def will. I figured I'd get this one, since my QTH is swamped by HF noise (Still working on that issue). I'd be able to take this one bicycle mobile out to a cleaner area, and get to play down and dirty with QRP operating. Debating on whether or not to sell off my FT840 or not a this point. Right now, it's a useless device sitting in my office.

K7SGJ
04-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Def will. I figured I'd get this one, since my QTH is swamped by HF noise (Still working on that issue). I'd be able to take this one bicycle mobile out to a cleaner area, and get to play down and dirty with QRP operating. Debating on whether or not to sell off my FT840 or not a this point. Right now, it's a useless device sitting in my office.

Hang on to it, better days are coming.

K0RGR
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Bicycle mobile might well be feasible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0vZBsGi-jA That's an FT857 he's got there, but there are videos of FT817 installations, too. I have been surprised several times at how well the FT817 works as a mobile rig. In fact, I took my IC7000 out of the pickup and I'm thinking about throwing the FT817ND in there in it's place. There a neat looking 50 watt amplifier that should work well with the 817 advertised in the current QST for $200-something dollars.

K7SGJ
04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Bicycle mobile might well be feasible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0vZBsGi-jA That's an FT857 he's got there, but there are videos of FT817 installations, too. I have been surprised several times at how well the FT817 works as a mobile rig. In fact, I took my IC7000 out of the pickup and I'm thinking about throwing the FT817ND in there in it's place. There a neat looking 50 watt amplifier that should work well with the 817 advertised in the current QST for $200-something dollars.

A while back, I picked up a Yaesu FL-110 SS amp for cheap. It is a very nice fit for the 817. Although it's a typical brick size amp, it does well if you want/need some extra power. I think it was meant to go with the old FT-7, but still, 10 in gets you 100 out. I don't use it very often, but for the price, it's fun to tinker with it.I figured if I ever put it in the truck, or on the Polaris, I would want the extra power. As it turns out, I pretty much just use it "as is" when we go camping or when the fish aren't biting.

KC2UGV
04-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Dayum, this is the worst... The rig arrived today, but at I'm work, and can't go an get it yet :(

lol #FirstWorldProblems

K7SGJ
04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Dayum, this is the worst... The rig arrived today, but at I'm work, and can't go an get it yet :(

lol #FirstWorldProblems

You look terrible. Like you have norovirus or something. Very contagious. You best get out of there and go home for the rest of the week before you make everyone sick.

KC2UGV
04-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Well, I unboxed it.

It's TINY. I mean, half the size of a 2M mobile rig.

The only thing that I really wish that Yaesu included was a 90 deg BNC adapter, or just make to antenna swivel like a Wifi antenna. It's fun so far. No contacts, but I'm still figuring out the menus. First time I had a chance to play with a rig with menus. I can see why some people don't like them: You have to learn it before using it.

KC2UGV
04-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Hang on to it, better days are coming.

... and sho 'nuff... I decided to hook the 817nd to my antenna outside, and it was working wonderfully. But then I noticed something, or rather, lack of: No "tick" on air...

Hook antenna back to my 840... Tune to digi freq, and ALL CLEAR!!!

W5BRM
04-23-2014, 06:49 PM
What do you mean by "tick"? Confused by that term.

KC2UGV
04-23-2014, 07:20 PM
What do you mean by "tick"? Confused by that term.

Since moving into this house, I've had an irritating "ticking" sound on HF, pretty much across the spectrum, which was caused by a piece of gear in a neighbor's home. There's a thread here: https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26270-HF-Noise

W5BRM
04-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Well im glad u got that cleared up! Did the neighbors move or something?

KC2UGV
04-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Well im glad u got that cleared up! Did the neighbors move or something?

I dunno... I hope they didn't die... Although, I did recently see a fire truck and ambulance outside of their house...:nono:

KG4CGC
04-23-2014, 09:19 PM
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?433778-Yaesu-FT-817ND-amp-LDG-Z-817H-Auto-tuner

Just throwing it out there.

K0RGR
04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
I've got my 817 down in the new radio shack/classroom now, and it's going to be the resident 2 meter rig for a while. I might listen for some satellites with it, too. I've wanted to build the interface someone documented to let you work the SSB satellites with the FT817 by automatically compensating for the Doppler shift and keeping the VHF and UHF VFO's tracking. I could also use my IC7000 on one band, but the single FT817 idea intrigues me.

W3WN
04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
What do you mean by "tick"? Confused by that term.This guy?

K7SGJ
04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
This guy?

Damn, I forgot all about that guy.