PDA

View Full Version : Explaining Holland versus the Netherlands.

PA5COR
04-20-2014, 06:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eE_IUPInEuc

Have fun ;)

KG4CGC
04-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Stealing.

PA5COR
04-20-2014, 06:52 AM
To make matters more complex i live in the Province Friesland which has it's own language besides Dutch, you know that Province with the nice flag with the hearts in it ;)
So actualy we are a dual languistic Country....

W2NAP
04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
welp now I am even more confused...

n2ize
04-20-2014, 12:47 PM

Have fun ;)

What is the actual origin of the name "Netherlands". Was the original interpretation "Northern Lands" ?

PA5COR
04-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Nope, the Netherlands or the low lying coutries.
With 3 large rivers ending here in the sea the country was build up by the mud and rock the rivers took with them, but the level of the country always sayd low lying compared to the sealevel.
Also floods depositd seaclay in large quantities here, hence my good R.F. ground ;)

n6hcm
04-21-2014, 04:58 AM
that guy is good at explaining lotsa stuff. look at his other youtube videos for descriptions of the city of london, how the holy see is different from the vatican, ...

K0RGR
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Very interesting - I'm fascinated by the relationships between English and the languages in that region. When I was in Flanders, it seems everything is written in Flemish and French. Between the Latin roots in the French and the Germanic roots in the Flemish, I had little trouble understanding. It took a while to figure out how to pronounce the Flemish like English and the French like Spansih, which are the Germanic and Latin languages I know. From what I was reading, it looks like the Fries language is even closer to English than the Flemish/Dutch. Of course, in the Netherlands, it seemed that everyone spoke better English than I do, so there was no language barrier.

PA5COR
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Frisian language is actually based onthe same language that gave us English and Germanic.
Frisian language was used in the past from the top of the Netherlands to Denmark including the north of Germany.
Some pockets in Germany still use a form of old frisian, but my province has the largest group of speakers of the reckognised second language in the Netherlands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisian_languages
My hometown Sneek, is in the middle of Fryslân or Friesland.

Frisian was already used whe we beat the Roman soldiers into pulp ;)

W7XF
04-21-2014, 06:12 PM
<snip>how the holy see is different from the vatican<snip>

Henry.....Da Pope might be offended by that!!!!

n6hcm
04-22-2014, 01:20 AM
Henry.....Da Pope might be offended by that!!!!

oh, no ... the explanation shows how the pope also gets to be king! everyone knows it's good to be king ...

W7XF
04-22-2014, 02:01 AM
oh, no ... the explanation shows how the pope also gets to be king! everyone knows it's good to be king ...

OMG Carlo is gonna let that swell his head!

KG4CGC
04-22-2014, 02:35 AM
OMG Carlo is gonna let that swell his head!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/44008597_nasser630_puffa_zpsb10a10a6.jpg

NQ6U
04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Woo-hoo, absolute monarch!

Wait, what do you mean the female population of the country is zero?? Goddamn it, there goes my first kingly edict, right down the toilet...

—Da Pope

KØWVM
04-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Have fun ;)

I was just there about 2 weeks ago. Went to see the Kinderdijk and the Keukenhof since my xyl is a big Tulip and Hyacinth fan.

PA5COR
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Good time of the year to see the flowers, we export enough of them ;)
Hope you liked the visit.

K0RGR
04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Here in WØ land, there are at least two cities with big tulip festivals. Pella and Orange City, Iowa are both very proud of their Dutch heritage. We used to go to the festival in Pella every year, and it was lots of fun. I've never been to the one in Orange City, but I understand it's also very impressive. Pella is home to Pella Windows and Vermeer Corp. - both major manufacturers. The Pella festival in a couple weeks.

N2NH
04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Most people in this country have a problem with New York City and New York State. Until just before my 102 fever, I figured out what the differences in The United Kingdom, Great Britain, Britain and England were. I had to wait until my temp went below 100 to tackle this one.

Interestingly, travel agents here call Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao the ABC Islands, whereas in the vid, Bonaire isn't even an island.

I think you've opened a can of worms Cor. :twisted:

PA5COR
04-28-2014, 02:45 AM
Yep,
Why keep things simple if you can confuse things up ? ;)

HUGH
04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Cor, thank goodness the Nederlanders speak good English. There's nothing like being lost in the Netherlands at 3 in the morning, in a hire car, pouring rain and then finding a filling station where a very nice man (very, very nice) was happy to sell me a 50 cent map with a credit card. Arrival at the hotel meant a yawning receptionist offering me a free tea or coffee before retiring to bed.

The only downside to the Netherlands could be the possibility of being run over by a cyclist until you get used to it.

n2ize
04-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I am a proponent of an Official United World Language. I think English is the most viable choice.

PA5COR
04-29-2014, 03:19 AM
Yep,mandatory is 2 foreign languages in school here, most pick English and German, or French next to English.
Bicycles...... 16.8 million peeps living here own over 20 million bycicles some have several, one for city use and one for longer drives with multiple gears like racebikes.

You get used to them in the end i suppose and get used to look around good before crossing the road as pedestrian ;)

Cor, thank goodness the Nederlanders speak good English. There's nothing like being lost in the Netherlands at 3 in the morning, in a hire car, pouring rain and then finding a filling station where a very nice man (very, very nice) was happy to sell me a 50 cent map with a credit card. Arrival at the hotel meant a yawning receptionist offering me a free tea or coffee before retiring to bed.

The only downside to the Netherlands could be the possibility of being run over by a cyclist until you get used to it.

n6hcm
04-29-2014, 04:07 AM
I am a proponent of an Official United World Language. I think English is the most viable choice.

more viable than mandarin?