PDA

View Full Version : 4 Ways Your Smartphone Is Hurting Your Health

N2NH
04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I have a dumb-assed old cellphone. The smartphone was too smart for me...

Your Cellphone Is ... Destroying Your Ability to Focus

You don’t own your phone—it owns you. Researchers in Finland found that most people obsessively check their menu screen, news, e-mail, and apps, even though the likelihood of seeing new and interesting information keeps decreasing. “The more you do it, the less you gain,” says study author Antti Oulasvirta, Ph.D.

Your move: Oulasvirta recommends setting specific times to touch base with your touchscreen, such as on the hour—or half hour if the withdrawal is too much.

There's more at the link for the Smartphone user...

4 Ways Your Smartphone Is Hurting Your Health (http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/4-ways-your-smartphone-hurting-your-health)

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 05:46 PM
im surprised people actully still use yahoo... but its just some poor bozo trying to make a name for himself by trying to tell us crap that any reasonable person knows is completly false. that radation he speaks of is called a notification...when your phone recives data and it makes a sound or vibrates and oh my gosh you notice it and it wakes you up because you weren't smart enough to turn it off or silent. The only legitamate thing he has going on is germs on the screen but reality is i strongly doubt any person getting seriously ill has been linked to cellphone use. I use a smart phone and im on it less then probably a combined hour at most a day...

WØTKX
04-17-2014, 06:27 PM
http://youtu.be/PJEExawlGFw

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Before cellphones it was walkmans, and before that it was radios and newspapers...this proves nothing lol

KG4CGC
04-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Before cellphones it was walkmans, and before that it was radios and newspapers...this proves nothing lol

In the 50s, it was chewing gum. Not kidding.

n2ize
04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
im surprised people actully still use yahoo... but its just some poor bozo trying to make a name for himself by trying to tell us crap that any reasonable person knows is completly false. that radation he speaks of is called a notification...when your phone recives data and it makes a sound or vibrates and oh my gosh you notice it and it wakes you up because you weren't smart enough to turn it off or silent. The only legitamate thing he has going on is germs on the screen but reality is i strongly doubt any person getting seriously ill has been linked to cellphone use. I use a smart phone and im on it less then probably a combined hour at most a day...

I don't buy it either. While I do find it strange when i see people walking around talking to an invisible person, or everyone on the train except me has their eyes affixed to a screen I still think most of the claims in the article are dubious at best. In any event I kind of like it, the more they are affixed to an electronic device the less they notice me. As for me I am the weird one out. I still carry a pocket watch that has to be wound and actually ticks. I guess they would say I'm eccentric or extremely retrograde.

NA4BH
04-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Old School

http://mphs1988.com/images/pics/80s/boom-box-on-shoulder.jpg

KG4CGC
04-17-2014, 08:23 PM
The XYL and I prefer dining with wifi.

KB3LAZ
04-17-2014, 10:31 PM
I prefer to dine sequestered in darkness, surrounded by silence. Alas, my wife doesn't agree.

n2ize
04-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Old School

http://mphs1988.com/images/pics/80s/boom-box-on-shoulder.jpg

That's me... Old School all the way !!

WØTKX
04-18-2014, 08:43 AM
With the NPR classical station blasting so everyone can hear!

PA5COR
04-18-2014, 09:07 AM
99.5% of the time the samsung S5 clone is next to me on the couch and not in use, most of the time i leave home without it as well.
Just longer drives TomTom on it is used for showing the way to drive and for 20 euro's i have money left over per year in prepaid calling....nuff said.
Now, the laptop and the Ft 2000-D, that is a different story...

W3WN
04-18-2014, 09:09 AM
In the 50s, it was chewing gum. Not kidding.In the 70s, it was Gerald Ford. Still proves nothing.

n2ize
04-18-2014, 12:34 PM
With the NPR classical station blasting so everyone can hear!

Back in the early 70's I was walking home from high school and as I passed a shopping center I start hearing classical opera blasting through the air out loud coming from a nearby shopping center parking lot. I take a better look and there is this elderly guy, probably in his 70's . He has this huge boon box sitting on the roof of his car, he is standing next to the car and he's got the boom box cranked up to full volume and playing opera out loud. I presume he was waiting for someone and decided to enjoy his opera and bathe the entire crowded parking lot and busy avenue with sound. I got a good chuckle out of it because it was so different from the common stereotype. In those days you normally did not see elderly persons blasting those boxes in public at full volume and you generally never heard classical opera blasting out of them. It was great, a scene I'll never forget... :lol:. Too bad they didn't have smartphones with video recorders back then.

N2CHX
04-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Back in the early 70's I was walking home from high school and as I passed a shopping center I start hearing classical opera blasting through the air out loud coming from a nearby shopping center parking lot. I take a better look and there is this elderly guy, probably in his 70's . He has this huge boon box sitting on the roof of his car, he is standing next to the car and he's got the boom box cranked up to full volume and playing opera out loud. I presume he was waiting for someone and decided to enjoy his opera and bathe the entire crowded parking lot and busy avenue with sound. I got a good chuckle out of it because it was so different from the common stereotype. In those days you normally did not see elderly persons blasting those boxes in public at full volume and you generally never heard classical opera blasting out of them. It was great, a scene I'll never forget... :lol:. Too bad they didn't have smartphones with video recorders back then.

When I was in school, we had a teacher, Mr. Lazenby, who was in charge of detention. He had a record player and lots of opera on vinyl. That was his detention punishment, which probably explains why to this day I love classical music but hate opera.

As an aside, I see Mr. Lazenby has moved on from teaching and from my hometown (http://www.ocala.com/article/20070815/REPORTER/208160308) and is enjoying his retirement. Go Mr. Lazenby... You were pretty weird and pretty harsh sometimes, but pretty cool too.

N2NH
04-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I definitely believe that most people are obsessed with their smartphones. Facebook too. I think a touch screen is a great place for germs, but that's what Forumula 409 is for. This story didn't originate on Yahoo, it originated at Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/auto-heaven) magazine. Yahoo picked it up for their page.

N7YA
04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Doorknobs, steering wheels, shoes, counters...everything is a place for germs. The phone is probably not as high on the list as claimed if you are the only one using it because you are the one who is putting the germs on it to begin with...meaning; they were on you before they got on the phone.

The constant feed of radiation is much more concerning. My buddy used to put his phone by his balls when he drove. I told him he should probably put it somewhere else, he just shrugged it off, saying "i do it all the time". Then i put it plainly, "your phone is a very high frequency radio transmitter, constantly sending signals back and forth, right next to your nuts. Testicular cancer, im guessing, is not all that fun"...he started putting the phone in the drink holder (as do i). Same with women, including Devie, who wear it in a shirt pocket or worse, inside their bra, right next to their skin. I see this all night long.

I have always been paranoid about it, but i need a phone. I have the smart phone, but i keep it in my back pocket when im walking around. I dont like it near my chest or Eagle Snacks. I need to start turning it around the other way now, touch screen toward me. I have the hands free, onboard Bluetooth in the car, so i talk through the speakers. I dont text and drive because im not a dumb shit. I use a small headset when i do talk on it for any amount of time away from the car...but i really dont like talking on the phone much anyway. I do texts and emails, take pictures and get internet info mostly.

Oh, and im one of those outdated assholes who still enjoys Angry Birds...i'm so behind the times.

n2ize
04-19-2014, 07:04 PM
When I was in school, we had a teacher, Mr. Lazenby, who was in charge of detention. He had a record player and lots of opera on vinyl. That was his detention punishment, which probably explains why to this day I love classical music but hate opera.

As an aside, I see Mr. Lazenby has moved on from teaching and from my hometown (http://www.ocala.com/article/20070815/REPORTER/208160308) and is enjoying his retirement. Go Mr. Lazenby... You were pretty weird and pretty harsh sometimes, but pretty cool too.

I am not a big fan of opera either. But I will admit, as a violinist in an orchestra its fun to play opera. A few concerts ago my orchestra accompanied a singer in couple of operatic selections. It was interesting because most of the time our works are all instrumental and we follow the conductor. For example if we are playing and we come across a note marked as a fermata we hold the note as long as the conductor indicates. But when accompanying a vocalist the vocalist becomes the conductor,. So when he/she is holding his/her prize note and I am reaching the end of the bow I start cursing under my breath "drop the God damned note already !!"... LOL

NQ6U
04-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Oh, and im one of those outdated assholes who still enjoys Angry Birds...i'm so behind the times.

That's so...2012.

n0iu
04-19-2014, 07:34 PM
He has this huge boon box sitting on the roof of his car...

I used a boone box to take my lunch to school!

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6700755/il_570xN.324155420.jpg

K7SGJ
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM
I had to walk so far uphill, barefoot, in the snow, that by the time I got to school, it was over. And the walk uphill home took so long, that when I got there, it was time to leave for school.

Pisser

kb2vxa
04-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Germs on cell phone + radiation = giant mutated germs. So THAT'S where this came from!

Note from Starfleet Maintenance: All crew members assigned to communicator maintenance include thorough disinfection procedures in PM/RM schedule.

W9JEF
04-20-2014, 09:37 AM

[...]

:)

My sentiments, exactly. IMHO, it's appeal is nothing more than pure snobbery.

In opera, when somebody gets stabbed, instead of bleeding, they sing. :sick:

kb2vxa
04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
When they they sing Soprano they get stabbed.

N2NH
04-21-2014, 04:34 AM
When they they sing Soprano they get stabbed.

Wouldn't that depend on where they get stabbeed?