PDA

View Full Version : Youtube and ham radio

WA7PBE
04-16-2014, 08:14 PM
So me being the quite young and youthful man I am use social media probably a bit more than some ham users. What I have come to realize is that if you search ham radio on youtube you get a few videos on the first page, some are kind of dissing ham radio, some are nutjob preppers who are telling people to go out and get a cheap radio and pretty much use it without a licence (which is as we all know illegal), some outdated videos that look like they where made in the 80's or that someone with adhd would turn off in 5 seconds, and we have the good guys who have tutorials (like n7tfp, some great videos by him for new hams) and useful information.

I'm not putting the blame on anyone but it seems almost like bad rep and definitely not attractive to introduce young people into ham radio. If I had the time and money I would try to combat this problem with a series of videos myself, but uncle sam has different plans for me (yes I'm a servicemember). I can tell you that the radio shows out there on youtube would kill interest, no young person wants to listen to a bunch of old timers yammer about technical information and jargon that a new ham probably wouldn't be able to understand. And the instructional series out there....well most all of them are by "preppers" and have a lot of bad information and misleading guidance like buying cheap radios that will probably scare more people from the hobby then get them into it considering they hype uhf and vhf to be way more popular then it actually is. One good thing to come lately is the TX factor which is a british based show and instead of a bunch of old men talking about nothing they go out to all these interesting places that show the history and origin of ham radio and show all the cool things that go on in the hobby. But there throws a barrier, I can guarantee with a certain amount of confidence that almost no one outside of the ham commuinty has heard of it, and with today's social media the rate of which they post videos would catch no young persons attention, they will go right back to call of duty.

I just hope that soon somebody can catch the attention of a younger crowd with videos about the hobby that even an older generation can enjoy. Its a very odd hobby for a person as young as my self being that right now i'm a minority, and even with more people being licenced then ever before still it seems like social media is only catering to a certian group which in turn is somewhat descering if we want to attract the attention of younger people.

KJ3N
04-16-2014, 08:24 PM
I'll take paragraphs for $500, Alex. :doh:

How the hell am I supposed to read that? :roll:

WA7PBE
04-16-2014, 08:27 PM
sorry i have a little bit of a learning disability hopefully that helped :)

KJ3N
04-16-2014, 08:33 PM
sorry i have a little bit of a learning disability hopefully that helped :)

It's more palatable now.

As an aside, it's been 36 years (HS) since my last English course, so...... Get Off My Lawn! :neener: :lol:

WA7PBE
04-16-2014, 08:35 PM
It's more palatable now.

As an aside, it's been 36 years (HS) since my last English course, so...... Get Off My Lawn! :neener: :lol:
thanks for the correction, Im really being sincere because writing has always been a struggle for me.

KJ3N
04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
So me being the quite young and youthful man I am use social media probably a bit more than some ham users. What I have come to realize is that if you search ham radio on youtube you get a few videos on the first page, some are kind of dissing ham radio, some are nutjob preppers who are telling people to go out and get a cheap radio and pretty much use it without a licence (which is as we all know illegal), some outdated videos that look like they where made in the 80's or that someone with adhd would turn off in 5 seconds, and we have the good guys who have tutorials (like n7tfp, some great videos by him for new hams) and useful information.

Have you looked at K7AGE's YouTube channel? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzgG5iIOZpqFBBkAgg5iN1w

I can tell you that the radio shows out there on youtube would kill interest, no young person wants to listen to a bunch of old timers yammer about technical information and jargon that a new ham probably wouldn't be able to understand.

Despite what you might have been told, it is a technical hobby. I'm not saying you have to be an EE, but you should try to understand some of the basics. If you don't, you're going to find it difficult to have much success at the HF "game". VHF/UHF is very much plug and play, but HF is quite different.

And the instructional series out there....well most all of them are by "preppers" and have a lot of bad information and misleading guidance like buying cheap radios that will probably scare more people from the hobby then get them into it considering they hype uhf and vhf to be way more popular then it actually is.

UHF & VHF FM are popular with the prepper crowd and the EmComm crowd. Outside of those areas, HF tends to reign supreme.

One good thing to come lately is the TX factor which is a british based show and instead of a bunch of old men talking about nothing they go out to all these interesting places that show the history and origin of ham radio and show all the cool things that go on in the hobby. But there throws a barrier, I can guarantee with a certain amount of confidence that almost no one outside of the ham commuinty has heard of it, and with today's social media the rate of which they post videos would catch no young persons attention, they will go right back to call of duty.

Given that TX Factor has only posted 2 videos (the first one only a month ago), I'd say almost no one in the ham community knows about it. Until you mentioned them, I had no idea they existed. It will take some time for the word to filter out.

I just hope that soon somebody can catch the attention of a younger crowd with videos about the hobby that even an older generation can enjoy. Its a very odd hobby for a person as young as my self being that right now i'm a minority, and even with more people being licenced then ever before still it seems like social media is only catering to a certian group which in turn is somewhat descering if we want to attract the attention of younger people.

In the 50s, 60s, and to some extent the 70s, ham radio was very much a hobby for young people. There were lots of HS kids who got the bug and went on to careers in electronics because of ham radio.

WA7PBE
04-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Have you looked at K7AGE's YouTube channel? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzgG5iIOZpqFBBkAgg5iN1w
I have and great information and great channel, but like the tx factor it wasn't until a few days ago i have even heard of his channel but im glad I have!

Despite what you might have been told, it is a technical hobby. I'm not saying you have to be an EE, but you should try to understand some of the basics. If you don't, you're going to find it difficult to have much success at the HF "game". VHF/UHF is very much plug and play, but HF is quite different.
I do but most of the videos im referencing are long strung out series intsead of short and easy tutorials that a beginner can easily understand that will then in turn translate into interest in the longer series.

K7SGJ
04-16-2014, 11:26 PM
And of course, there is Burt.

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

VE7DCW
04-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh No! ...........Eddie.... not Burt! :shock:

:rofl:

NA4BH
04-16-2014, 11:34 PM
My favorite ham video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYWt8dNB3s

VE7DCW
04-16-2014, 11:37 PM
My favorite ham video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYWt8dNB3s

The little oink is really a champion of the cause! :yes:

WØTKX
04-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Long ago, and far away... B4 YouTube... LOL OMG! :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/e6uhkS5Gwjc

K7SGJ
04-17-2014, 12:05 AM

Another great TZ episode. I often wonder where the hogs the three aliens rode ended up?
)

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 12:08 AM
tempted to start a series of my own

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 01:22 AM
as a matter of fact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RunmzeKh13g

N8YX
04-17-2014, 07:36 AM
IB4NEODB (In Before No Excuses On Da 'Bowl)... :snicker:

kb2vxa
04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
I suppose a corner reflector bow-tie and a corner reflector Yagi would work decently on 70cM and a trombone slide could be used to build a J-pole, but do you think you could talk to your home planet on that thing? They could tell the electricians to stop playing around with the stage light dimmers though.

Oh, Patraic, next time you make a video you might try not doing it in your sleep. (;->)

Ham radio is my dream (sh-boom)
If I could take you up to my antenna up above (sh-boom)
You don't have to tell me radio is the one that I love
Radio is my dream, sweetheart
Hello, hello again, sh-boom, and hopin' we'll Q so again

Bom ba,
Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alanga
Oh oh oh oh dip, a dibby dobby dip

QRK 1 QSD QSR PSE de WA7PBE

KA9MOT
04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
as a matter of fact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RunmzeKh13g

I will not critique your video. I can't seem to put one together and sound intelligent at the same time.... it's not possible I say! All those other guys are cheating somehow......

WX7P
04-17-2014, 03:08 PM

"Oh, Stu! Those men seem threatening somehow" :lol:

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 05:40 PM
"Oh, Stu! Those men seem threatening somehow" :lol:
going to be completely honest i have no clue what show that is....

WX7P
04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
going to be completely honest i have no clue what show that is....

Twilight Zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone

I think the episode was called Monsters on Maple Street or something like that. If I remember right, Claude Akins was the ham operator.

Those of us born in the 50's were glued to the show when it showed up in reruns in the late 60's.

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 06:54 PM
i know of that show. You will have to excuse me and my growing up in an age where television via satellite reigned supreme and pay per view was a thing lol. Crazy to think when my son is born next month he probably will never watch a VHS, yet even a DVD will be a stretch its all digital now.

NQ6U
04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
You will have to excuse me and my growing up in an age where television via satellite reigned supreme and pay per view was a thing lol.

Let me be the first to bestow upon you the classic Island greeting from us old pharts to younger folks like yourself:

"Get off my lawn, kid!"

NA4BH
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
you're just jealous because he doesn't need a Hover-round to push his lawn mower.

NQ6U
04-17-2014, 08:40 PM
you're just jealous because he doesn't need a Hover-round to push his lawn mower.

Well, yeah, of course—it's all about jealousy.

K7SGJ
04-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Twilight Zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone

I think the episode was called Monsters on Maple Street or something like that. If I remember right, Claude Akins was the ham operator.

Those of us born in the 50's were glued to the show when it showed up in reruns in the late 60's.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, Janet (STFU Bob & Carlo) but you have your episodes mixed up. The one you posted was the one where the MC guys moved next door to those people, and one of them fell in love with the daughter of the man and wife watching TV. Their set got AFU when the MC aliens contacted the big eye thingy on their planet.

The one with Claude Akins was where the guys in the spaceship were on a hill overlooking that neighborhood. They kept fucking with everyone to see how paranoid they would get. One of the neighbors finally shot the guy coming back from going to another neighb)orhood to see if all the power was out and the cars were dead.

Of course, I could be full of shit, too.

K7SGJ
04-17-2014, 11:36 PM

Da Pope don't need no stinking lawnmower. That's how his goat gets his nourishment. And, I doubt that I need to explain how the goat gets his exercise.

WA7PBE
04-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Let me be the first to bestow upon you the classic Island greeting from us old pharts to younger folks like yourself:

"Get off my lawn, kid!"

Its been forever since someone has said that to me lol

W7XF
04-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Its been forever since someone has said that to me lol

Won't hear that from me......no lawn!!! Just natural desert-scape!!

GET OFF MY SAND, KIDDO!!!! :muhahaha:

KJ3N
04-18-2014, 05:54 AM

"Get off my lawn, kid!"

You were not the first. https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/27525-Youtube-and-ham-radio?p=586822&viewfull=1#post586822

:neener:

W3WN
04-18-2014, 07:16 AM

BwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaOh yes, a man of great sensitivity to others, very gracious of those who help him. :sarcasm:

...ok, sorry for the sarcasm so early in the morning. Suffice to say that I have once more been reminded that sometimes when you follow the teachings that suggest you turn the other cheek, the other cheek gets kicked harder, and leave it at that...

KJ3N
04-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Oh yes, a man of great sensitivity to others, very gracious of those who help him. :sarcasm:

...ok, sorry for the sarcasm so early in the morning. Suffice to say that I have once more been reminded that sometimes when you follow the teachings that suggest you turn the other cheek, the other cheek gets kicked harder, and leave it at that...

I believe the following line would apply to Burt:

General Taylor: "Lieutenant, you don't know whether you've been shot, fucked, powder-burned or snake-bit."

K7SGJ
04-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Won't hear that from me......no lawn!!! Just natural desert-scape!!

GET OFF MY SAND, KIDDO!!!! :muhahaha:

Me, too. We just built around all the flora.

GET OFF MY CACTUS.

W7XF
04-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Me, too. We just built around all the flora.

GET OFF MY CACTUS.

Prick. :stirpot:

K7SGJ
04-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Prick. :stirpot:

I never thought that YOU would barrel in here and needle me.

NQ6U
04-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Suguaro you going today? Or are you just gonna stay home and en-cholla yourself around the pad?

K7SGJ
04-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Suguaro you going today? Or are you just gonna stay home and en-cholla yourself around the pad?

My wife has a long list of stuff for me to do. Like Agave shit.

NA4BH
04-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Go read "Tequila Mockingbird".

K7SGJ
04-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Go read "Tequila Mockingbird".

Yucca!

WA7PBE
04-20-2014, 01:16 AM
BTW if yall would like to know how to make a logbook in under 5 min here you go: http://youtu.be/haKUKtRKn2s

W7XF
04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
BTW if yall would like to know how to make a logbook in under 5 min here you go: http://youtu.be/haKUKtRKn2s

I already know how to log xD

NQ6U
04-21-2014, 12:56 AM
What the fuck were you doing making local deliveries in my neck of the woods? I thought you were driving for Swift.

KA9MOT
04-21-2014, 04:57 AM
A couple of things that apply to SWIFT:

Y'all know, the name SWIFT does not describe the swiftness of their trucks or their service. Instead it is really an acronym. It stands for:

Sure
Wish
I had a
Fast Truck

AND

See
What
I
F#$ked up
Today :)

KC2UGV
04-21-2014, 08:10 AM

I'm not putting the blame on anyone but it seems almost like bad rep and definitely not attractive to introduce young people into ham radio. If I had the time and money I would try to combat this problem with a series of videos myself, but uncle sam has different plans for me (yes I'm a servicemember). I can tell you that the radio shows out there on youtube would kill interest, no young person wants to listen to a bunch of old timers yammer about technical information and jargon that a new ham probably wouldn't be able to understand. And the instructional series out there....well most all of them are by "preppers" and have a lot of bad information and misleading guidance like buying cheap radios that will probably scare more people from the hobby then get them into it considering they hype uhf and vhf to be way more popular then it actually is. One good thing to come lately is the TX factor which is a british based show and instead of a bunch of old men talking about nothing they go out to all these interesting places that show the history and origin of ham radio and show all the cool things that go on in the hobby. But there throws a barrier, I can guarantee with a certain amount of confidence that almost no one outside of the ham commuinty has heard of it, and with today's social media the rate of which they post videos would catch no young persons attention, they will go right back to call of duty.

The cool kids use vimeo these days for interesting content. YouTube is making a comeback, after they lifted the 10 minute cap. And, of course, the maker community is picking up the slack:

http://makezine.com/?s=ham+radio

VE7DCW
04-21-2014, 11:27 AM
A couple of things that apply to SWIFT:

Y'all know, the name SWIFT does not describe the swiftness of their trucks or their service. Instead it is really an acronym. It stands for:

Sure
Wish
I had a
Fast Truck

AND

See
What
I
F#$ked up
Today :)

Interesting...... I've actually seen containers with the "SWIFT" name occasionally carried around on some CP Rail stack trains .......just leave the driving to the railways.....the future in truck transport :mrgreen: