PDA

View Full Version : Steam powered box factory

w2amr
04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

NQ6U
04-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Fly ball governors. What self-respecting machinery geek doesn't love a fly ball governor?

Funny thing, though—other than the power source, the rest of the place was pretty much identical to a small mill I worked in briefly about twenty-five years ago.

N2CHX
04-12-2014, 05:04 PM
That was really cool! Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit and a case of wine.

n2ize
04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Great find George. Now THAT is what you call real "Steampunk"... There are not many mills like that left in this country. That's a real piece of history and still running. The gear train in that engine reminds me of the gear train inside an old mechanical pocket watch but on a huge scale. I am sure I have products in the house made by them. I wonder if they made the crate that my Thordarson Modulation Transformer was packed in. :)

w2amr
04-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Great find George. Now THAT is what you call real "Steampunk"... There are not many mills like that left in this country. That's a real piece of history and still running. The gear train in that engine reminds me of the gear train inside an old mechanical pocket watch but on a huge scale. I am sure I have products in the house made by them. I wonder if they made the crate that my Thordarson Modulation Transformer was packed in. :)I don't think it's a very safe place to work. Did anyone notice the dog with half a tail?

NQ6U
04-13-2014, 03:12 AM
I don't think it's a very safe place to work. Did anyone notice the dog with half a tail?

I didn't notice the half-tail but I did wince when I saw the guy getting all wound up in the sheaves he was oiling and when the woman put her arm through the spokes of that big flywheel. I commented to the XYL "they better hope no OSHA inspector watches this video."

N2CHX
04-13-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's a very safe place to work. Did anyone notice the dog with half a tail?

Heh, I did see that and thought the same thing. There was another dog that appeared first, who had his whole tail as well.