PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Device Charges Cellphone from Zero to Full in 30 Seconds

N2NH
04-10-2014, 03:13 AM
StoreDot, an Isreali company has made a device that can charge a dead cellphone in half a minute...

But it doesn't stop there. According to ZD-Net:

In offices in a dusty street near the Diamond Exchange building in Ramat Gan, something interesting is afoot: a company called StoreDot is working on battery technology that many mobile users will have been longing for for some time.

The basis of StoreDot's work was discovered during a University of Tel Aviv research project into Alzheimer's disease. The researchers found that a certain peptide molecule that 'shortens' neurons in the brain causing Alzheimer's was also seeming to show high capacitance, thanks to an ability called 'charge trapping' — where electrons are effectively held in place.

According to Professor Gil Rosenman, who worked on the project and is now StoreDot's chief scientist, two of these molecules can be used to create a viable crystal only two nanometers long. These crystals form the NanoDots at the heart of Storedot's technology.

Artificially synthesised from the same building blocks — elements such as oxygen and hydrogen — as natural peptides, these NanoDots could prove disruptive to multi-billion-dollar industries such as batteries, displays, image sensors, and non-volatile memory.

Doron Myersdorf, former head of SanDisk's SSD division and now StoreDot's CEO, says that the company has decided to focus on NanoDots' uses in smartphone related technologies, including faster memory; more sensitive camera sensors ultrafast-charging batteries; and flexible, energy-efficient displays.

Looks like it will work with H/T's and QRP radios too. Will this be the end of the Lithium-Ion battery?

StoreDot: Inside the nanotech that can charge your phone in 30 seconds (http://www.zdnet.com/storedot-inside-the-nanotech-that-can-charge-your-phone-in-30-seconds-7000028240/)

W9JEF
04-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Could this technology also allow faster charging of EV batteries?

NQ6U
04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Will this be the end of the Lithium-Ion battery?

Read the article more carefully. It's a improvement on existing Li-Ion batteries, not a replacement. Interesting tech in any case, though.

W5BRM
04-10-2014, 12:29 PM
If it sounds too good to be true....

Just my $.02

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
If it sounds too good to be true....

Just my $.02

Buggy whip makers weren't too happy either.

W5BRM
04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
My concern is the "durability" of the charge. If i charge my phone/ht/whatever batt and unplug it as soon as it reads 100% then unplug it, my batts dont last as long if i had charged them overnight. If this tech charges in 30 sec, will that be a really "full" charge? Will the discharge rate equal or be percentage of the charge rate as on a lot of todays batts. Thats my concern. If theyve solved that issue then i might be satisfied with their claims

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 12:43 PM
My concern is the "durability" of the charge. If i charge my phone/ht/whatever batt and unplug it as soon as it reads 100% then unplug it, my batts dont last as long if i had charged them overnight. If this tech charges in 30 sec, will that be a really "full" charge? Will the discharge rate equal or be percentage of the charge rate as on a lot of todays batts. Thats my concern. If theyve solved that issue then i might be satisfied with their claims

I haven't had that issue with my phone. I wish I could say more on that.

N2NH
04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Read the article more carefully. It's a improvement on existing Li-Ion batteries, not a replacement. Interesting tech in any case, though.

In layman's terms, StoreDot has created a 'buffer' that stores electrical current coming from the wall socket over a period of around thirty seconds, then letting it flow slowly into the lithium. Myersdorf says that eventually, the company plans to get rid of the lithium in the battery altogether.↑↑↑↑Original Source.

http://i61.tinypic.com/21jav6o.jpg

Wearable technologies are expected to create an additional $70 million in battery revenue from more traditional lithium sources, according to a report last month by IHS Technology. But technology like Myersdorf's which not only charges faster than lithium batteries, but according to the site is a sustainable option to replace lithium, that revenue pie is very much up for grabs.

From this additional source HERE. (http://upstart.bizjournals.com/news/technology/2014/04/07/doron-myersdorf-of-storedot-batteries.html)

Seems to me that Li-Ion batteries will eventually be going the way of sealing wax.

NQ6U
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Seems to me that Li-Ion batteries will eventually be going the way of sealing wax.

Yeah, missed that, you're right.

Can't say I'm gonna miss them, either, thinking about the day I noticed the back had popped off my VX-2 and wouldn't go back on due to the fact that the Li-ion battery had swelled up alarmingly. I grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and tossed in out into the middle of a concrete pad in the back yard just in case it was about to burst into flame. Left it there for several weeks, until I was sure it was safe.

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Can't say I'm gonna miss them, either, thinking about the day I noticed the back had popped off my VX-2 and wouldn't go back on due to the fact that the Li-ion battery had swelled up alarmingly. I grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and tossed in out into the middle of a concrete pad in the back yard just in case it was about to burst into flame. Left it there for several weeks, until I was sure it was safe.

Must have been a dud.

WØTKX
04-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Peptides instead instead of Lithium or other rare earths for batteries?

Priceless, literally. Interesting how fast it is.

N2NH
04-11-2014, 03:43 AM
We are in the infancy of Wetware (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wetware). Organic computers, batteries, who knows what else?

N2NH
04-11-2014, 03:47 AM

Totally agreed. Not to mention the exploding Li-Ion batteries. A few months after 9/11 one went off near Times Square. I didn't stop to look at what happened to the woman who was on the ground. The news said her cellphone exploded. (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/06/19/seen-at-11-exploding-cell-phones-pose-a-serious-danger/)

W9JEF
04-11-2014, 12:44 PM

A few years back, my son screwed a bolt too far into the tripod fitting,
and it penetrated the battery. I quickly backed the bolt out, opened the camera,
and extricated the battery, and let cool down out on the back porch.

Had no idea that those little batteries could explode, or I would have immediately
opened the back door, and tossed the whole f-n camera as far away as I could. :sick:

n2ize
04-11-2014, 06:16 PM
A battery like this would be great for the radio control hobby. Part of the issue with electric RC is that nowdays we use large lithium polymer batteries. Some of the drawbacks are long recharge times and, the fact that the battery is very volatile. Too fast a charge, a damaged, shorted or punctured battery (such as after a crash) will rapidly overheat and literally explode in flames. Likewise they can 9and have) also cause house fires when being charged at home at too high a rate. They generally have to be stored in a fireproof container and preferable charged outdoors on a hard nonflammable surface.

If this technology works it will sure as heck cut down on the charging times and, it might be a much safer alternative to LiPO batteries. The only think I wm wondering is if it can supply the very high current density required for RC flight. The reason we use LiPO is that we get a tremendous amount of energy from a relatively small battery/