PDA

View Full Version : Put Down that Pipe!

WX7P
03-29-2014, 08:34 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/faces-of-drug-arrests-mugshots-photos_n_5034621.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Oregon has had a billboard campaign for years using this technique and I think it's a good one.

The time and expense expended on a campaign such as this one is worth every penny if it keeps just one person off of this poison.

AC8KF WALT
03-29-2014, 06:26 PM
smack is now the drug of choice in baltimore. can't swing a dead cat over your head by the tail without hitting a junkie.

n2ize
03-29-2014, 06:42 PM
So , other than stereotypical pictures, what is the solution ? Do they also include pictures of the typical Wall Street heroin junkie or coke addict ? or boozer ? What these pictures mainly show is the downtrodden middle and poor class on meth which look strikingly like the same on alcohol, etc. These are pictures of the effects of desperation and the drug war and if they don;t tell us we need a radical change in our approach to drugs and an end to the drug war nothing else will,

kb2vxa
03-29-2014, 08:07 PM
You don't have to show me pictures, I saw the "before and after" of a young couple who got hooked on cocaine. It ruined their lives and it ruined THEM in only two years. Those are pictures of beauty queens compared to what I saw!

Chewing coca leaves goes back thousands of years, at first only chewed for religious ceremonies. Today it is common among those who live in the Andes, it doesn't hurt them, it helps them cope with the altitude. The amount of cocaine is rather small, they don't become addicted and don't go around robbing people to feed their "habit". The worst thing that happened was when cocaine was first isolated (extracted from coca leaves) in 1859 by German chemist Albert Niemann. The water soluble form cocaine hydrochloride is the dangerous stuff, worse when it is cracked to pure cocaine base commonly known as crack (obviously) and smoked, the most rapid and direct way into the body causing a "rush". No sense going on and on telling you what you already know except maybe saying what I found out when I tried it some years ago to find out what the big attraction is, it's so good it's bad. Curiosity satisfied, that's it, no more.

n2ize
03-29-2014, 08:19 PM
You don't have to show me pictures, I saw the "before and after" of a young couple who got hooked on cocaine. It ruined their lives and it ruined THEM in only two years. Those are pictures of beauty queens compared to what I saw!

Chewing coca leaves goes back thousands of years, at first only chewed for religious ceremonies. Today it is common among those who live in the Andes, it doesn't hurt them, it helps them cope with the altitude. The amount of cocaine is rather small, they don't become addicted and don't go around robbing people to feed their "habit". The worst thing that happened was when cocaine was first isolated (extracted from coca leaves) in 1859 by German chemist Albert Niemann. The water soluble form cocaine hydrochloride is the dangerous stuff, worse when it is cracked to pure cocaine base commonly known as crack (obviously) and smoked, the most rapid and direct way into the body causing a "rush". No sense going on and on telling you what you already know except maybe saying what I found out when I tried it some years ago to find out what the big attraction is, it's so good it's bad. Curiosity satisfied, that's it, no more.

Yeah, everyone's been there/done that tried it "just once' to "satisfy their curiosity" and then "never again". Yup. And yet it was relatively a non-issue until prohibition came on the scene. The anti drug scene has done more to promote drug use than the pushers. They aroused our curiosity in grammar school. Then they told us its against the law but we are free to soak our livers in booze or marinate our lungs in tobacco smoke.

N2NH
03-29-2014, 11:51 PM
That is horrible and it might deter people from starting drugs, but addicts only stop when they run out of money, end up in jail or die. Nothing will deter them from their fix. A great idea and it probably will stop new addicts, but is too late for most who are already hooked.

AA8KT
03-30-2014, 12:38 AM
What started the new rise in drug use is DOCTORS. Specifically military docs. The pain killers they use on wounded soldiers, sailors, and Marines is addictive. Then when the wounded get out of the hospital they don't help them with the withdrawal from addiction but just dump the poor bastards.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 12:43 AM
What started the new rise in drug use is DOCTORS. Specifically military docs. The pain killers they use on wounded soldiers, sailors, and Marines is addictive. Then when the wounded get out of the hospital they don't help them with the withdrawal from addiction but just dump the poor bastards.

No, they don't. Not in the US anyway.
Most developed countries have real pain management programs. When it's time to stop using the drugs, the doctors back them off the drugs, such as opiates, slowly over a period of 3 to 4 weeks. No withdrawal, no lingering cravings. That's part of the issue with strong cravings. The sudden and abrupt removal of pain medicine.

kb2vxa
03-30-2014, 09:55 AM
That's a recent development and not what the poster is talking about. That problem among many others linger with the VA even today, I lost count of how many veterans have complained to me and have to seek outside help. Bottom line: the government is notorious for using and abusing people, especially soldiers who serve their country and their country refuses to serve them.

koØm
03-30-2014, 01:13 PM

--Just my opinion--

The pictures posted by the OP were from "The Faces of Meth" which documented the steep decline in the health and appearance of Crystal Meth users. Methamphetamine has been around for a long time first as pills and powder (Crank). Then, some evil Einstein figured a way to make it smoke-able and it's usage then spiked. The television series "Breaking Bad" (never watched it) seemed to justify and condone the breaking of the law and social mores. With the help of the Internet, any Death-Defying / seeking mook can cook up something akin to Meth and smoke it (and their whole house if not careful).

During the 1950's, '60's and late early '70's while there was European-American involvement in South East Asia, the western society was introduced to refined White Powder Heroin (The Chinese had smoked opium for centuries). Those who hit bottom and could not get up were referred to as "Junkies" although there were countless thousands who were functional addicts holding down job and feeding families, they just needed their fix on a regular schedule.

After we left Asia, the white Heroin dried up (on the local streets) and the addicts turned to a combination of "Tee's and Bee's"; the "Tee's" being Talwin while, the "Bee's" were some other kind of pill that when mixed with the Talwin gave the used a Heroin like experience. To curb the abuse of Talwin, the drug companies started to incorporate Naloxone into the Talwin medication.

Sometime in the late(?) '80's, "Black-Tar Heroin" started being produced by the South American drug cartels and smuggled into the United States to a hungry group of consumers who were too poor/unable to access Dilaudid, Percosets or, Vicodin in spite of the fact that there were /are many medical doctors who did and do write pain med prescriptions like they were invitations to a Tea and Cake Party.

The "Pain Clinics" started popping up mostly in the rural counties which led to the moniker of "Hillbilly Heroin" being assigned to the "Oxy-codeine" derived class of drugs - following close behind the Pain Clinic are the Methadone Maintenance Clinics which allow the addicts to be counted and controlled - until, they go "Off the reservation" and you find them somewhere with a spike hanging out of their arm.

I forgot to include in the timeline the incident of the US becoming involved in conflicts in Asia and the amazing re-appearance of "China White" Heroin on the streets of the United States; because of that and the increase / decriminalization of home grown marijuana, the SA cartels has really taken a punch in the mouth. They are trying to make it up by importing Laboratory produced Methamphetamine.

My community said a polite, "No Thank You" to the Crystal Meth invitation and, the "Old heads" who bought the Heroin habit back with them from Viet-Nam are just about all dead or, in nursing homes so there is minimum Heroin usage in my community. However, all one has to do is be alert (as are the Cincinnati Police) and notice all of the Clermont, Kenton and, Cambell county cars who are cruising our neighborhood looking to score; the police usually pull over 5 or more cars a day containing people from the suburbs trying to purchase some Dogfood.

I've had a couple of friends from, "The Other Side Of The Tracks" who have overdosed on Heroin or Oxycontin-Oxycodeine.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
That's a recent development and not what the poster is talking about. That problem among many others linger with the VA even today, I lost count of how many veterans have complained to me and have to seek outside help. Bottom line: the government is notorious for using and abusing people, especially soldiers who serve their country and their country refuses to serve them.

What's a recent development?

N8YX
03-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I think I'll stick with the rush of adrenaline.

Heck, even decent beer gives me a headache these days. Had two whole (count 'em) bottles last evening after supper and it took until after noon for the aftereffects to subside.

kb2vxa
03-30-2014, 04:25 PM
"What's a recent development?"
Start reading at the post by AA8KT (#7) where he's talking about morphine and you'll understand the subject.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 10:44 PM
"What's a recent development?"
Start reading at the post by AA8KT (#7) where he's talking about morphine and you'll understand the subject.

Doctors were blamed for military drug addiction as far back as Korea to the best of my knowledge. If it happened during WWII, I never got to hear about but, those guys were a lot older by the time I got to hear about anything.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/faces-of-drug-arrests-mugshots-photos_n_5034621.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Oregon has had a billboard campaign for years using this technique and I think it's a good one.

The time and expense expended on a campaign such as this one is worth every penny if it keeps just one person off of this poison.

Does this article state how many marihuanas they were injecting a day?

NQ6U
03-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Does this article state how many marihuanas they were injecting a day?

Boy, are you ever dumb. Everybody knows you don't inject marihuanas, you chop them up real fine, mix them with petroleum jelly and rub them into your belly.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Boy, are you ever dumb. Everybody knows you don't inject marihuanas, you chop them up real fine, mix them with petroleum jelly and rub them into your belly.

And that makes babies come out of the woman's butt?

NQ6U
03-30-2014, 10:57 PM
And that makes babies come out of the woman's butt?

Is that how it happens? I thought it had something to do with storks and cabbage leaves.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Because we all know that men give women drugs so that they'll make babies.

KG4CGC
03-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Is that how it happens? I thought it had something to do with storks and cabbage leaves.

Well, a stork does put a cabbage leaf up the woman's butt to stop the bleeding.

NQ6U
03-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Well, a stork does put a cabbage leaf up the woman's butt to stop the bleeding.

Huh, storks must be pretty smart birds, then. To quote the Desert Rat, "Who gnu?"