PDA

View Full Version : Massive Failure, MLB Edition

W3WN
03-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Announced on the news tonight...

Two former Pirates will be on the field on Monday to present award to two current Pirates.

Former manager Jim Leyland will present the NL Manager of the Year award to current manager Clint Hurdle. No problem there.

But then, there's the presenter of the NL MVP award to Andrew McCutchen.

I can NOT believe that someone thinks this is a good idea.

Barry Bonds.

Barry foul-mouthed foul-tempered wife-beating steroid-cream-using Bonds.

That man is hated in Pittsburgh. Not because he left, but because of the way he did it, and the way he (just barely) played in the 1992 playoffs... and then blamed everyone else for his poor performance.

Which genius thought this one up?

I guarantee you, Bonds will get introduced, and he will get booed, and then some, by a sold-out full house. That man is genuinely hated in this town. And when it happens, and it will happen, it will be a top story on ESPN and other sports shows. Nice way to start the season.

KK4AMI
03-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Great, I'm looking forward to hear how that goes. THE KILLER BOOS!

N2NH
03-31-2014, 03:15 AM
Olbermann shares your sentiments on B B. I wonder who he's rooting for these days? He gave up on the Yanks awhile ago.

W3WN
03-31-2014, 07:18 AM
I've since learned a little more about the presentation.

Along with BB, former MVP Dick Groat will also join in presenting Cutch with the NL MVP trophy. Former MVP Dave Parker was supposed to be in on this too, but couldn't make it due to a "scheduling conflict" (whatever that really means). So the idea was to have the living former MVP's present the trophy.

Same thing with Leyland (one time NL Manager of the Year with the Pirates) presenting the award to Clint Hurdle.

Also, the Silver Slugger is being presented to Cutch and Pedro Alvarez by former winner Jack Wilson (which made the boss & LMFD happy, they always liked him).

So it makes a little more sense. A little.

Still... the boo birds will be out in force. And don't be surprised if you read in the papers or online about how mean or poor sports the Pirates fans, or Pittsburgh fans, are. They are actually not... unless a (former) player crosses the line and does one of a handful of Unforgivable Sins. One of which is, telling the media how lousy Pittsburgh is after you've left. That's why Bonds is so disliked, as is Jaromir Jagr (ex Pens) and a few others.

Contrast that with, say, Jason Kendall or Brian Giles. They made it clear that they were unhappy with the TEAM and the management of it, but not with the fans or the city/area.