PDA

View Full Version : Our next chapter in Contest Butt-Hurt begins in just an hour.

KJ3N
03-28-2014, 06:00 PM
It's time once again for CQ WW WPX SSB.

http://www.cqwpx.com/rules.htm

Who's playing this weekend? KS3D will be in S&P mode, as usual.

KG4CGC
03-28-2014, 06:19 PM
This will be a good time to test those antennas. Make actual contacts from a variety of different locations.

NQ6U
03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Perhaps a good chance to make some DX contacts with the 505...?

n0iu
03-28-2014, 07:58 PM
This will be a good time to test those antennas.

I know all of my antennas work great because EVERYBODY gives me a 59!

KG4CGC
03-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I know all of my antennas work great because EVERYBODY gives me a 59!

You are indeed a lucky operator.

N8YX
03-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Perhaps a good chance to make some DX contacts with the 505...?

I was thinking about using either the FT-726R and its HF module on 10 and 15 or connecting up my TS-660 and doing same.

kb2vxa
03-29-2014, 12:12 PM
"I know all of my antennas work great because EVERYBODY gives me a 59!"

Your signal is 5 and 9, 5 and 9, please repeat your callsign...........

n0iu
05-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Good news: Propagation is better than it has been in a long time.

Bad news: Other than a few state QSO parties, the only real contest is the Italian ARI International DX contest and the 10-10 Spring CW Contest.

The problem?

Not enough contests!

KC9SQR
05-03-2014, 09:23 PM
<snip>

Your signal is 5 and 9, 5 and 9, please repeat your callsign...........

I tried to joke about that over in the dump over yonder and holy cow did that get turned into a big deal... Wound up with a few points, a public reprimand for reacting to being badgered to the point of finally going off on the person who clearly didn't "get it" (I still have a copy of the original post that got deleted), and a vacation for a few days...

KG4CGC
05-04-2014, 01:24 AM
I tried to joke about that over in the dump over yonder and holy cow did that get turned into a big deal... Wound up with a few points, a public reprimand for reacting to being badgered to the point of finally going off on the person who clearly didn't "get it" (I still have a copy of the original post that got deleted), and a vacation for a few days...

How do you know you have points? Does it show up under your callsign like when the used the 3 color square method of public shaming?

KC9SQR
05-04-2014, 06:28 AM
How do you know you have points? Does it show up under your callsign like when the used the 3 color square method of public shaming?

It used to actually show it in one of the "settings" menu's of adjusting user settings, I almost want to say in the inbox messages somewhere it may not show up now because the infraction points expired..

But the other way I know a moderator (edited to remove call) told me "This infraction is worth 15 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

That was when I learned that things aren't done there the way they are other forums. I learned how they allow the "privileged few" to get away with just about anything (usually subscribers, I'm not the first one to notice or accuse them of that either), while punishing others a lot of times for the same things they'd let those privileged subscribers get away with.. Like badgering someone for days to the point of finally going off on them, even after explaining and even copying and pasting definitions of individual words to help this person grasp the concept of "perfectly" and "readable" then trying to explain what putting both of those words together accomplishes (5 by 9)... Still didn't get it it was like trying to explain rocket science to a caveman he clearly just didn't get it. I would've gotten further trying to explain it to a rock... But >I< was not just the only one who got the public reprimanding for it, I was the only one punished at all... That's when it became obvious that once you give them money, they'll let you do just about whatever you want and then have the mods go after the other person...

On that topic, do moderators of some other forums have quota's? "You better lock down at least a dozen threads and ban a minimum of 3 members today... Or else.." :wtf:

Sorry to hijack btw.... Back to contest butthurt lol

KG4CGC
05-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Not exactly behavior in line with being the internet beacon of amateur radio.

KC9SQR
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Not exactly behavior in line with being the internet beacon of amateur radio.No not at all, and there were errors made on both sides of the table, I'm not claiming to be totally innocent... I just reacted to being badgered... One of my errors was not knowing what that dump is, and that it's against the rules to have a sense of humor, and for allowing myself to be pushed to that point of finally going off on someone.. I do however still not get how there are supposedly instances that "a call can be 5 by 9 (perfectly readable) but still need it repeated"... If it's perfectly readable, why in the hell ask for the callsign again, and again, and again?

kb2vxa
05-06-2014, 03:00 AM
If you don't understand by now that with DX and contests everybody gets a 5/9 no matter how unreadable, you might be one of those cavemen who can't understand rocket science... or maybe you missed your place in Jeff Foxworthy's "you just might be a redneck" jokes. (;->)

KC9SQR
05-06-2014, 04:43 AM
If you don't understand by now that with DX and contests everybody gets a 5/9 no matter how unreadable, you might be one of those cavemen who can't understand rocket science... or maybe you missed your place in Jeff Foxworthy's "you just might be a redneck" jokes. (;->)

That's the whole thing, that's what I was joking about and some caveman went off on some tangent saying there are instances that even though a call is 5 by 9 that it would need to be repeated... It was just REALLY stupid how a simple joke such as what was posted here turned into what it did over yonder at the toxic waste dump site... ;)

kb2vxa
05-06-2014, 08:28 AM
"...there are instances that even though a call is 5 by 9 that it would need to be repeated..."
The only one I can think of is if the station doesn't follow standard contest protocol, or if no contest, upon answering a call repeat it three times phonetically. Uh, I'm really not going there to find out what you're talking about, I can see QRslime from here.

K7SGJ
05-06-2014, 10:25 AM
"...there are instances that even though a call is 5 by 9 that it would need to be repeated..."
The only one I can think of is if the station doesn't follow standard contest protocol, or if no contest, upon answering a call repeat it three times phonetically. Uh, I'm really not going there to find out what you're talking about, I can see QRslime from here.

I have had a few instances where the other op was a good 5x9, but I could not understand the call because of the speed the call was given and the accent. It is rare, but it does happen. However, when someone has a metric shit-ton of contacts all over the universe, and everyone is 5x9, that just isn't possible. Although some ops get irritated when I give them a 3x6 or anything other that a 5x9, I gotta call them like I sees them.

I always appreciate an honest signal report, because it tells me a lot about band conditions, and if I'm using different antennas or equipment, it helps me to improve their efficiency. But then, I'm just an angry old white ham operator. Now get off my fucking lawn.

KJ3N
05-06-2014, 10:39 AM
But then, I'm just an angry old white ham operator. Now get off my fucking lawn.

http://www.mcglinch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/get-off-my-lawn.jpg

kb2vxa
05-07-2014, 01:04 AM
"I have had a few instances where the other op was a good 5x9, but I could not understand the call because of the speed the call was given and the accent."
Me too, but with fog where a brain had been I'd forgotten, It's been a few years since I had antennas, a few more since I operated an Extra's DC to light QRP to QRO station.

"Although some ops get irritated when I give them a 3x6 or anything other that a 5x9, I gotta call them like I sees them."
Same with me, they didn't like me very much either but you know what? DILLIGAF?

Hey you kids come here and play on my lawn. Please?

n2ize
05-10-2014, 02:25 PM
There was a contest ? I never noticed.

kb2vxa
05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Turn you radio on, turn your radio on
Turn your radio on and listen to the contests in the air
Turn your radio on and QSL info share
Tune your antenna and fire up your radio
Get in touch with other hams, just turn your radio on

n0iu
05-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Well is this bushtit or what?

The CW portion of the CQ WW WPX Contest is this weekend. Now those damn rag chewin' brass pounders are going to fill the Internets with their anti-contest rants any minute now!

At least those SSB ops are so much more sane and civilized and never complain about anything!