PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years Ago Today, Alaska Got Hit with a 9.2 Quake

N2NH
03-27-2014, 09:42 PM
The Good Friday Alaskan earthquake of 1964 hit a 9.2, the largest North American and American quake and second largest ever recorded.

The 1964 Alaskan earthquake, also known as the Great Alaskan Earthquake and Good Friday Earthquake, was a megathrust earthquake that began at 5:36 P.M. AST on Good Friday, March 27, 1964.[2] Across south-central Alaska, ground fissures, collapsing structures, and tsunamis resulting from the earthquake caused about 139 deaths.[3]

Lasting nearly three minutes, it was the most powerful recorded earthquake in U.S. and North American history, and the second most powerful ever measured by seismograph.[4] It had a moment magnitude of 9.2, making it the second strongest earthquake in recorded history[2][5]—the strongest being the 1960 Valdivia earthquake in Chile.[4]

The powerful earthquake produced earthquake liquefaction in the region. Ground fissures and failures caused major structural damage in several communities, much damage to property and several landslides. Anchorage sustained great destruction or damage to many inadequately earthquake engineered houses, buildings, and infrastructure (paved streets, sidewalks, water and sewer mains, electrical systems, and other man-made equipment), particularly in the several landslide zones along Knik Arm. Two hundred miles southwest, some areas near Kodiak were permanently raised by 30 feet (9.1 m). Southeast of Anchorage, areas around the head of Turnagain Arm near Girdwood and Portage dropped as much as 8 feet (2.4 m), requiring reconstruction and fill to raise the Seward Highway above the new high tide mark.

In Prince William Sound, Port Valdez suffered a massive underwater landslide, resulting in the deaths of 30 people between the collapse of the Valdez city harbor and docks, and inside the ship that was docked there at the time. Nearby, a 27-foot (8.2 m) tsunami destroyed the village of Chenega, killing 23 of the 68 people who lived there; survivors out-ran the wave, climbing to high ground. Post-quake tsunamis severely affected Whittier, Seward, Kodiak, and other Alaskan communities, as well as people and property in British Columbia, Oregon, and California. Tsunamis also caused damage in Hawaii and Japan. Evidence of motion directly related to the earthquake was reported from all over the earth.

1964 Alaska earthquake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake)

KG4CGC
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
I was only 5 weeks old. Sorry.

NQ6U
03-27-2014, 09:48 PM
I remember Crescent City, CA back in the mid-Seventies; it still hadn't completely recovered from the tsunami caused by the '64 Alaska quake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pitAGlz5x0

WØTKX
03-27-2014, 11:28 PM
A lad of 8, staying up late snacking on Easter Candy, and watching the hand me down B&W set in my room.
Big time news, interrupted the Ed Sullivan Show. The scary crazy footage came a few days later.

I remember reacting to the huge "9.2" number.

VE7DCW
03-28-2014, 01:24 AM
The Alaska quake spawned a dandy tsunami that did extensive damage to the town of Port Alberni a little ways up Island from me......fun times they were..... :shock:

kb2vxa
03-28-2014, 04:41 AM
You sure have a weird notion of what FUN is! (;->) Well, considering the fact that it's Alaska, every day is a fun day one way or another. I was 14 at the time and saw the same on a B&W set in the living room, I had some unusual radio gear in my room but no TV yet. Unusual yes, you don't find ham gear in the scrap heap behind a radio and TV shop or in an automobile junk yard, but you do find AM/SW radio chassis and tube type AM car radios.

n0iu
03-28-2014, 06:19 AM
I was 6 years old when it happened and I swear, it wasn't my fault!!!

PA5COR
03-28-2014, 06:44 AM
I was 11 going 12 and i certainly had nothing to do with it, but watched th news on then our B&W telly...

N2NH
03-28-2014, 03:56 PM
I was 9. It was Good Friday and I was watching a TV show when a special report came on that we had lost contact with Alaska. Seemed like a non-story but this was during the Cold War and Alaska is close to Russia so that was big news. Then the word came about the Quake. I don't remember it being as high as a 9.2. The grainy black and white pictures showed a plane with people who left Alaska arriving in California (IIRC). They were being interviewed by reporters. Most looked like they were in shock and didn't say much. Things came in piecemeal and haphazardly.

I remember they said Lowell Thomas the newsreel announcer had died when his house was apparently swallowed up by the ground. I still like Alaska and it is beautiful, but that's worse than the Left Coast.

W9JEF
03-28-2014, 04:52 PM

I was 24 at the time, and don't remember it at all.

Hey, --it happened in the sixties. ;)

K0RGR
03-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I was in the Boy Scouts, we were living in Sacramento at the time. My scout troop had a big week long camping trip for Easter Break. We were camped in Big Sur State Park, south of Monterey. The Big Sur River runs in from the ocean and through the park. When the tsunami did so much damage to Crescent City, far to our north, orders were passed to evacuate the campgrounds. We packed up at a fairly leisurely pace, and were homebound by the time the tsunami - all 6 inches of it - arrived.

My dad was very busy on the air, handling emergency traffic from Alaska and Crescent City. He had a plaque on his wall for the rest of his life, honoring his contributions.

When we visited Alaska last year, we went to the museum at the U. of Alaska in Fairbanks. They have an exhibit of tectonic activity. The audio for that portion of the musuem is mostly recordings of the KL7 hams spreading the word and passing traffic about the quake and tsunami. One of the recordings, in particular, is of a ham alerting one of the coastal cities that the tsunami was coming! In College Fjord, you can still see the high water mark from the tsunami - half way up the sides of the fjord, all the trees are dead due to the salt water.

suddenseer
03-28-2014, 07:01 PM
I was 9. It was Good Friday and I was watching a TV show when a special report came on that we had lost contact with Alaska. Seemed like a non-story but this was during the Cold War and Alaska is close to Russia so that was big news. Then the word came about the Quake. I don't remember it being as high as a 9.2. The grainy black and white pictures showed a plane with people who left Alaska arriving in California (IIRC). They were being interviewed by reporters. Most looked like they were in shock and didn't say much. Things came in piecemeal and haphazardly.

I remember they said Lowell Thomas the newsreel announcer had died when his house was apparently swallowed up by the ground. I still like Alaska and it is beautiful, but that's worse than the Left Coast.Since I went to a lecture given by LT in 1981 around March, the story of his death was greatly exaggerated.

NQ6U
03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Since I went to a lecture given by LT in 1981 around March, the story of his death was greatly exaggerated.

Just checked—Thomas died in August 1981. Looks as if you may have been one of the last people to hear him speak.

suddenseer
03-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Just checked—Thomas died in August 1981. Looks as if you may have been one of the last people to hear him speak.I remember his opening joke about getting old was everything he sees reminds him of something else.

W9JEF
03-29-2014, 11:16 AM
< . . .>

I remember they said Lowell Thomas the newsreel announcer had died when his house was apparently swallowed up by the ground. I still like Alaska and it is beautiful, but that's worse than the Left Coast.

Maybe a different Lowell Thomas?

According to Google:

Born (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=690&q=lowell+thomas+born&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgyoHnxCnfq6-gXGZUVKKllh2spV-QWp-QU4qkCoqzs-zSsovyjtiEG-v_V7o0onc1Rqze-b53mXILAEAU0C270IAAAA&sa=X&ei=5-82U5T-CefjsAT3yoGIAQ&ved=0CKYBEOgTKAEwFA): April 6, 1892, Woodington, OH (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=690&q=woodington+ohio&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgyEHnxCnfq6-gXGZUVKKEheIaZKUblhUpSWWnWylX5CaX5CTCqSKivPzrJLyi_ Ic1ywNaP8Yo8Rz6MzE735p3mm6q-MBhxE81U4AAAA&sa=X&ei=5-82U5T-CefjsAT3yoGIAQ&ved=0CKcBEJsTKAIwFA)

Died (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=690&q=lowell+thomas+died&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAAFLALT_AHvTx-gAAAAuCA4SCS9tLzAzdjJiZCofa2M6L3Blb3BsZS9kZWNlYXNl ZF9wZXJzb246ZGllZLsx9rddsV3zBEqdJzbWkXyRquzDT-VAq0sAAAA&sa=X&ei=5-82U5T-CefjsAT3yoGIAQ&ved=0CKsBEOgTKAEwFQ): August 29, 1981, Pawling, NY (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=690&q=pawling+ny&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgyUHnxCnfq6-gXGZUVKKEphpmJtUFa8ln51spV-Qml-Qk6qfkpqcmlicmhJfkFpUnJ9nlZKZmsIa9brz6rSg44ZTXm91O vyu3yNssT8AESQG3VYAAAA&sa=X&ei=5-82U5T-CefjsAT3yoGIAQ&ved=0CKwBEJsTKAIwFQ)