PDA

View Full Version : I can finally bitch about the ARRL!

KC2UGV
03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Yep, I joined. Only a 1 year membership for now. So far, not impressed. Their website is SLOOOOOOW.

But, I'll kick the tires. And bitch about them now or something.

NA4BH
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
If you renew next year, hold out until they send you the free book offers. I hear people do that. :whistle:

kd8twg
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Protip on their website: Use google with the "site:arrl.org" to find stuff on their website. Navigation is atrocious.

KC2UGV
03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Protip on their website: Use google with the "site:arrl.org" to find stuff on their website. Navigation is atrocious.

Yeah, I'm still trying to find the QST archive I'm supposed to have access to.

NQ6U
03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-periodicals-archive-search

You have to be logged in to get there. Best reason of all to go to the site, IMHO.

KJ3N
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't bother to bitch about the ARRL. Not because I'm not a member, but because I just don't give a shit about them.

Except for technical books they publish, they could fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, and I doubt I'd even notice.

KG4CGC
03-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Remember when QST had real articles?

NQ6U
03-27-2014, 09:59 PM

I was recently given bound volumes of QST 1970 through 1972. The project articles were probably better than the in the current issues of QST (although mostly obsolete by now, of course) but the equipment reviews really blew when compared to what's pubished in the magazine now. There was no real scientific analysis of receiver performance and even the basic circuit descriptions left a lot to be desired. I recently read the review of the Argonaut 505 and still don't know whether it's got a direct conversion receiver or not; you can bet that wouldn't happen today. I got the feeling that the ARRL just handed the thing off to some random staff member and said "Here, take this home for the weekend, then write up a review when you get in on Monday."

W3WN
03-27-2014, 10:15 PM
If you renew next year, hold out until they send you the free book offers. I hear people do that. :whistle:Unless you already know the code, and use it when you renew on line.

WØTKX
03-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Hey Cory, isn't this the same reason you registered Republican? :evil:

W9JEF
03-28-2014, 12:28 AM
If you renew next year, hold out until they send you the free book offers. I hear people do that. :whistle:

I resemble that. ;)

Also, for your birthday they send you a $10 coupon. :)

KG4CGC
03-28-2014, 01:29 AM
I was recently given bound volumes of QST 1970 through 1972. The project articles were probably better than the in the current issues of QST (although mostly obsolete by now, of course) but the equipment reviews really blew when compared to what's pubished in the magazine now. There was no real scientific analysis of receiver performance and even the basic circuit descriptions left a lot to be desired. I recently read the review of the Argonaut 505 and still don't know whether it's got a direct conversion receiver or not; you can bet that wouldn't happen today. I got the feeling that the ARRL just handed the thing off to some random staff member and said "Here, take this home for the weekend, then write up a review when you get in on Monday."

Never read anything that far back. My complaint stems from the time they became more about scores and advertisements.

kb2vxa
03-28-2014, 04:11 AM
No sense posting my bitch again, once is enough. Just one other thing starting at the beginning, at my last QTH before finding myself without antennas the W1AW CW practice transmissions were clearly heard down here on 147.555MHz, but locals were still able to communicate over them. Not surprising, 1500W into a gain antenna on a tower* makes itself heard. Here's a bit of irony, if not for their blindly clobbering QSOs in progress K1MAN would not have crudely and liddishly tried to duplicate them and start his anti-ARRL organization and web site that contaminated the internet worse than "over there". Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

* Just a little aside, up the road a piece in Manasquan lies the QTH of Al W2NCH who at least when the VXAmobile was alive and kicking had the most powerful 2M FM station in the galaxy. He had a Dave Made (his name is Dave) W2APE 1500W Class C amp feeding a 22el H stack on a 90ft tower. I was about 120mi away at the Pack Rats Warminster, PA hamfest at the drive-in no longer there directing a friend in when he came on frequency just as the friend was coming into the lot. We had a 5/9 QSO for a few minutes before I went back to prowling around, and guess what... there were no Hamabouts, no grossly obese waddlers, no stink pots, and no whackers.

Oh, too bad our lovable Desert Rat lives so far away, he'd love those guys. There are pack rats in the desert too but they don't sell parts or clean out their burrows. Ren doesn't live too far, maybe he could find a special friend there. (;->)

KC2UGV
03-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Hey Cory, isn't this the same reason you registered Republican? :evil:

Well, to be fair, I once was seriously a republican (You can find some of my anti-union screeds here). Then I wised up :snicker:

KC2UGV
03-28-2014, 05:41 AM

No. Only been a ham since 2008...

:rimshot:

W9JEF
03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Well, to be fair, I once was seriously a republican (You can find some of my anti-union screeds here). Then I wised up :snicker:

I too am a reformed Republican--and an ex Birchite.
There really were "old ladies in tennis shoes" members.
Had a big Goldwater car-top during the 1964 campaign,
actually shook hands with George Wallace (also a candidate).

But then came 1967, and I expanded my consciousness. ;)

NQ6U
03-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Never read anything that far back. My complaint stems from the time they became more about scores and advertisements.

Just goes to show you that some things never change—QST was pretty much the same in that respect back in the early Seventies.

KC2UGV
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM
How long does it take to actually get access to things like digital copies of QST? I tried, and it's telling me my name/password is wrong when I click on the issues. Assuming something isn't sync'd at ARRL's side.

KG4CGC
03-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I enjoyed them in the mid 90s.

NQ6U
03-28-2014, 06:24 PM
How long does it take to actually get access to things like digital copies of QST? I tried, and it's telling me my name/password is wrong when I click on the issues. Assuming something isn't sync'd at ARRL's side.

I don't know. It worked immediately for me, but I was already a member when they started with the digital editions. It's a pretty cool feature, IMHO; I'm frequently done reading the latest issue a week or more before the dead tree version shows up in the snail mail.

n0iu
03-28-2014, 07:56 PM
How long does it take to actually get access to things like digital copies of QST?

Maybe they're making sure your check clears!

n2ize
03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't bother to bitch about the ARRL. Not because I'm not a member, but because I just don't give a shit about them.

Except for technical books they publish, they could fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, and I doubt I'd even notice.

But are they not an advocacy group for amateur radio. Do they not give up power against interests that would love to take away our frequencies ? Do they not offer advice on interference issues, etc. ? For the most part I don;t care, if ham radio were to disappear tomorrow I have plenty of other interests in life to take its place. But, still, is it not worth it to have an advocacy organization ?

kb2vxa
03-30-2014, 08:47 AM
"Maybe they're making sure your check clears!"
You mean they don't believe the check is in the mail?

"But are they not an advocacy group for amateur radio."
They are not, they're an advocacy group for their own interests. How many times does that get shoved in your face before you see it?

"Do they not give up power against interests that would love to take away our frequencies ?"
They don't give up power they don't have to begin with. When will you realize that money talks and BS walks? They're not a moneyed power broker that commercial interests are.

"Do they not offer advice on interference issues, etc. ?"
They do, perhaps the one good thing about them, but they're not the only source of information and advice.

I couldn't care less if they drop off the face of the Earth tomorrow, and I agree there are other things in life besides Amateur Radio. The trouble with me is I sorely miss my ability to communicate with radio and am stuck with the internet as my only link with the outside world. That's because I have had a keen interest in radio and electronics since childhood, that's more than enough time to develop an incurable addiction. I get my daily fix from my scanner but it isn't enough, IT JUST ISN'T ENOUGH!

mw0pob
03-31-2014, 06:55 AM
I resemble that. ;)

Also, for your birthday they send you a $10 coupon. :)

It's a shame the Harris.g.b dont do that in the uk

W3WN
03-31-2014, 09:51 AM
How long does it take to actually get access to things like digital copies of QST? I tried, and it's telling me my name/password is wrong when I click on the issues. Assuming something isn't sync'd at ARRL's side.Do you have a user login on the ARRL site?

It may depend on when you join, and how long it takes HQ to "activate" you as a member. I don't know how much of that is automated, and how much of that is a manual process.

Have you received your official 'welcome' letter from HQ yet?

In any case, send an email to membership services; I don't have it offhand, but there should be a link to it on the ARRL web site. That will get you the right answers from the right people in the fastest amount of time.

Now get off my lawn!

KC2UGV
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Do you have a user login on the ARRL site?

Yes.

It may depend on when you join, and how long it takes HQ to "activate" you as a member. I don't know how much of that is automated, and how much of that is a manual process.

Not yet.

In any case, send an email to membership services; I don't have it offhand, but there should be a link to it on the ARRL web site. That will get you the right answers from the right people in the fastest amount of time.

I think I will. The QST app on iOS works with my login, just not the website. Maybe I'll hold until I get my official welcome letter.

Now get off my lawn!

I will, but thanks :)

n6hcm
03-31-2014, 04:13 PM
ARRL website is fubar at the moment. I'm trying to renew. Any good renewal codes out there at the moment?

KC2UGV
03-31-2014, 04:59 PM
i used j2

n6hcm
03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
and j2 gets you ... ?

KC2UGV
03-31-2014, 06:45 PM
and j2 gets you ... ?
the small antennas for small spaces book.

N2ADV
04-01-2014, 11:37 AM
the small antennas for small spaces book.
Is that one any good?

KC2UGV
04-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Is that one any good?

I don't know, I haven't gotten it as of yet.

KB3LAZ
04-02-2014, 06:38 AM
ARRL website is fubar at the moment. I'm trying to renew. Any good renewal codes out there at the moment?

Has been for a long time. It is so slow.

W7XF
04-02-2014, 07:00 AM
They don't call it the Ancient Radio Repair League for nothing!

kb2vxa
04-02-2014, 09:42 AM
"Slow" is PC for retarded, it fits the Always Retarded Rump Lickers. (;->)

KC2UGV
04-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Do you have a user login on the ARRL site?

Now get off my lawn!

So, I got my welcome letter yesterday, and emailed ARRL web content services. Apparently, I had two records (One from a previous registration), which caused a problem. All fixed :)

XE1/N5AL
04-04-2014, 12:28 AM
You have an excellent point there. A two transistor Altoid box CW transmitter is about as complicated of a project that one finds in a modern QST, but today's equipment reviews are much more technical than back in the days of yore.

kb2vxa
04-04-2014, 01:51 AM
But can any besides the OTs understand technical data when they have to buy dipoles in a bag?

KC2UGV
04-04-2014, 05:52 AM
But can any besides the OTs understand technical data when they have to buy dipoles in a bag?

That's a myth, tbh. Many, many non-OT's know how to build dipoles, phased arrays, and a wide array of antennas. I'm far from an "OT" and have built MANY antennas, and honestly haven't bought an antenna since I bought the 5/8w whip for 2M mobile. And, that's only because I couldn't find the proper stock for the whip (Along with the ferrules, and other goodies).

W3WN
04-04-2014, 07:16 AM
But can any besides the OTs understand technical data when they have to buy dipoles in a bag?The ones who "have" to buy dipoles in a bag will never understand the technical data, be they OT's, YF's, or OF's.

Now, there are those who are simply... uneducated... who until they learn better, will buy a dipole in a bag. Once they learn better, they won't. (There IS a difference between those who can't, and those who can but don't know it yet)

Why, just the other day, I was explaining to KB3ERQ the reasons why a 1/2 wave dipole or a 1/4 wave vertical works with a characteristically low impedance, but a full wave dipole or 1/2 wave vertical characteristically high impedance that approaches infinity. (Has to do with f(x) as x->0, that good old calculus we never thought we'd use outside of high school math class)

W9JEF
04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
But do they support more tax in order to pay for FCC enforcement?

In comments (http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521096114) filed in response to the FCC's February 14 Report on Process Reform (GN Docket 14-25 (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-14-199A2.pdf)), the ARRL has called for a more visible, responsive Amateur Radio enforcement program. The League also said it was concerned that FCC policies for adjudicating certain complaints of interference to radio amateurs, especially those involving electric utilities, provide no incentive for the utilities to resolve them. The ARRL was further critical of the fact that FCC petitions for rule making and spectrum allocation proceedings often take years to resolve. But the League confined the bulk of its comments to perceived shortcomings in the Amateur Radio enforcement program.

https://bay179.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=y8eRe2s82ue7OUf%2b5J%2f6kdgmKjR0Uzq1t5m%2ff n8cPSQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww3.arrl.org%2fnl%2fal%2fimage%2 fARRL%2520logo%2520type_17.jpg

"[T]he visibility of the Commission's enforcement program for the Amateur Service is wholly inadequate, resulting in a widespread, albeit inaccurate, public perception that there is no active enforcement in our service," the League's comments asserted. The ARRL said "deterrence based on visibility is a critical component of a successful compliance campaign."

The most successful -- and visible -- period of Amateur Radio enforcement in recent years was between 1997 and 2008, the ARRL said. According to the League, compliance during that period was a result of "the visibility in the Amateur Radio community of a single member of the Commission's Enforcement Bureau staff at Amateur Radio events" and of keeping the Amateur Radio media fully informed on what was being done to resolve a particular enforcement issue.

FCC-imposed constraints in the past few years have had "a devastating effect on the entire philosophy of the program and its success," the League told the Commission. Among other factors, the ARRL pointed to the "extensive approvals" required before the release of enforcement correspondence. Enforcement actions that are taken, the League continued, are not released to the Amateur Radio media. "This deprives radio amateurs of the knowledge that the Commission is indeed investigating and responding to a given enforcement problem," the ARRL said. "The result is the perception that nothing is being done in a given case, and frustration builds rapidly among the radio amateurs who have to endure the rule violator on an ongoing basis."

"[L]imitations imposed on the visibility of enforcement actions in recent years have significantly reduced the effectiveness of the program," the ARRL stressed, and "directly resulted in notable and unacceptable increases in rule violations, most especially malicious interference." Further, the ARRL said, Enforcement Bureau personnel responsible for Amateur Radio enforcement should be empowered with greater autonomy to address problems as they arise.

The League faulted the FCC's websites -- old and new -- for being "woefully out of date" and not well maintained or presented. "The fact that there are two separate listings of Amateur Radio enforcement actions on two separate FCC websites is, frankly, ridiculous in any case," the ARRL concluded.
The ARRL also urged the FCC to make better use of the Amateur Auxiliary -- the ARRL Official Observer Program -- in resolving enforcement complaints. "It is unclear why none of the evidence gathered by OOs is usable other than as a predictor for Commission District Office staff to use in investigating the matter themselves -- if and when their time permits," the League said. "The program is authorized by legislation. It would increase the Commission's efficiency if the work of these volunteers were put to a better use."

The ARRL pointed to cases where chronic rule violators who were the subject of hundreds of hours of OO surveillance and off-the-air recordings have "been allowed to continue those activities for periods of years without more than a warning letter."

The League said the Report "makes good recommendations" in addressing years-long delays in resolving rule making petitions and open-docket proceedings. As an example it cited the League's 2012 Petition for Rulemaking (http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022073018) seeking a new Amateur Radio allocation at 472-479 kHz. "To date, a year and a half after it was filed, this Petition for Rule Making has not been afforded a file number, nor has public comment been solicited on it," the ARRL said.
In a Public Notice (http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-seeks-public-comment-report-process-reform) the FCC said its Report "seeks to further the goal of having the agency operate in the most effective, efficient and transparent way possible." The League said it was not being critical of any individual FCC staffers or managers. "Rather, the remarks are directed at the Commission's policies and processes" and address issues that "result, in large part, from the unenviable necessity of allocating scarce (and in some cases inadequate) human resources available to the Commission."

KC2UGV
04-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Is that one any good?

Well, as I got it now, I'd say it's cool as a free gift. I wouldn't recommend paying sticker price ($25) for it. It's a slim volume, and most of the stuff is freely available on the internet without much effort to locate.

n0iu
04-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Last year I got the coffee cup. It was $10 so I only had to pay for the shipping!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/cup_zps3c9a6212.jpg

I have never poured any liquid in the cup so it is 100% pristine. Maybe I will put it on eBay and see how much I can get for it!

n6hcm
04-05-2014, 11:43 PM
i would have preferred the coffee cup option to any of the books (which i can borrow from the library or buy from amazon for less).