PDA

View Full Version : Jets Sign Vick

N2NH
03-24-2014, 02:41 AM
Or is that Ron Mexico at QB? New York newspapers got their licks in. PETA is going ballistic. Jets fans are defecting to the Giants in droves. Dogs are mating with cats. Well, it could happen...

So how did the New York Sports Pages welcome Mr. Mexico?

Welcome to Fun City. Let's see how long this lasts.

I know, I know, it's about the money. It's about buying a championship. Most fans will talk a mean game but do little or nothing...

All I know is I stopped rooting for the Jets in '94 and haven't looked back... that decision is looking better by the day.:yes:

N2NH
03-24-2014, 03:25 AM
...here are your Jets Ron Mexico Jerseys (presuming he is going to be #7):

http://i61.tinypic.com/2i7pu9z.jpghttp://i57.tinypic.com/f6i42.jpg

W3WN
03-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Well, you do know that one of the nicknames for the Jersey B team is...

The Dog-Ass Jets

(2 points to anyone who can cite the reference)

W3WN
03-24-2014, 01:18 PM
I just walked out of the lunch room with one of the guys in the Safety department.

Michael is also a NNJ native, but unlike the rest of us, he was a Jets fan.

Was.

He told me that after he got the news of the signing, he is throwing out his helmet. He is done with them. No more.

W9JEF
03-24-2014, 02:03 PM

If I were Michael, I would just hope and pray that there aren't

too many big defensive linemen who are also dog lovers.

N2NH
03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Vick on the Dogfighting...

The remorse may still be real, but judging from quotes that hit the Internet on Wednesday, Vick isn't quite as penitent about what he did. In a brilliant story written by Will Leitch of Yahoo! Movies for GQ.com, Vick talked more about the cultural aspect of the dogfighting trade, and how some folks just wouldn't understand where it comes from.

"[The media] are writing as if everyone feels that way and has the same opinions they do. But when I go out in public, it's all positive, so that's obviously not true […] You got the family dog and the white picket fence, and you just think that's all there is. Some of us had to grow up in poverty-stricken urban neighborhoods, and we just had to adapt to our environment. I know that it's wrong. But people act like it's some crazy thing they never heard of. They don't know."

As William Burroughs once said about another matter, this is a thin tissue of horse[bleep]. There are obviously thousands and millions of people who have to live in poverty-stricken urban neighborhoods, and a great many of them manage to wake up every day and avoid the temptation to fight, torture, electrocute, and kill dogs.

Incredibly enough, Vick then made himself out to be some kind of innocent victim in the whole sordid episode.

"I think that's accurate," he told Leitch, when asked if some people simply don't understand that aspect of black culture. "I mean, I was just one of the ones who got exposed, and because of the position I was in, where I was in my life, it went mainstream. A lot of people got out of it after my situation, not because I went to prison but because it was sad for them to see me go through something that was so pointless, that could have been avoided."

Vick then talked about his experience in prison, and the perceptions of him that he thinks are misplaced. "For a while, it was all 'Scold Mike Vick, scold Mike Vick, just talk bad about him, like he's not a person,'" he says. "It's almost as if everyone wanted to hate me. But what have I done to anybody? It was something that happened, and it was people trying to make some money."

Back to the money thing. In January of 2005, Vick signed a $100 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons that guaranteed him a then-record $37 million. The investigation that brought Bad Newz Kennels down and eventually sent Vick to prison didn't happen for more than two years from the day he signed that contract. Vick wasn't hurting financially, nor was anybody close to him.

And this may be the most amazing takeaway:

"I miss dogs, man. I always had a family pet, always had a dog growing up. It was almost equivalent to the prison sentence, having something taken away from me for three years. I want a dog just for the sake of my kids, but also me. I miss my companions."

Companions? I'm guessing the dogs didn't see it that way.

The article concludes that everyone feels Vick did his time and paid for his crime.

Magnanimous. But wrong.

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of…’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vick-on-dogfighting-in-GQ-8216-People-act-lik?urn=nfl-wp5294)

X-Rated
03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
The premise of entertainment that is dog fighting or cock fighting is propagated through cartoons to younger generations as in Pokemon as well. People come together to bring out their little fighter to take on someone elses little fighter and the two creatures fight to some end. Nuanced activities of special preparations are a part of the "sport" that is perpetuated to today's youth. Society needs to clean up its act as well and not show this activity as something that should be done.

When I worked with a Mexican national in Austin, he told me of their cock fighting activities. It was how their father put food on the table many times by having their cock winning fights. It was devastating when their bird would die because it meant they would go hungry. People live these lives. Maslow outlined the levels of needs. When you are born into poverty, you needs are far different from those born into wealth. Those truths you know to be real growing up do not go away simply because you later have millions of dollars. We relish the "good times" we had as children. Vick no doubt is in the wrong here and his attitude needs adjusting, but society also needs to change if not simply understand where others get their ideas to make improvements for future generations.

N2NH
03-26-2014, 09:45 AM
The premise of entertainment that is dog fighting or cock fighting is propagated through cartoons to younger generations as in Pokemon as well. People come together to bring out their little fighter to take on someone elses little fighter and the two creatures fight to some end. Nuanced activities of special preparations are a part of the "sport" that is perpetuated to today's youth. Society needs to clean up its act as well and not show this activity as something that should be done.

When I worked with a Mexican national in Austin, he told me of their cock fighting activities. It was how their father put food on the table many times by having their cock winning fights. It was devastating when their bird would die because it meant they would go hungry. People live these lives. Maslow outlined the levels of needs. When you are born into poverty, you needs are far different from those born into wealth. Those truths you know to be real growing up do not go away simply because you later have millions of dollars. We relish the "good times" we had as children. Vick no doubt is in the wrong here and his attitude needs adjusting, but society also needs to change if not simply understand where others get their ideas to make improvements for future generations.

I grew up in Harlem. I spent a lot of time in The Bronx and Brooklyn. I never knew anyone who engaged in Dog-fighting. In all the neighborhoods I went to and lived in, NEVER ONCE did I see or know anyone who did this, and I knew a lot of people. NHE grew up in some tough neighborhoods and spent years in the South. Never once has she known or heard of anyone who was fighting dogs. I once heard of a cock-fight but it was broken up about a week after it started. I never knew where until I saw it on the news. It was a mile from where I lived.

That Vick can make the "Cultural" claim is Bvlls#!t. As far as Pokemon, it was a short-lived phenomena with kids in Brooklyn. Ran about 2 months. It was a hoot watching some kid shouting at the top of his lungs to a doll that wasn't going to do a fookin thing. That it took 2 months for kids to figure that out was even funnier. Still, no Pokemon were hurt in that and even if the stuffing did get knocked out of a few, unlike dogs, they weren't living beings.

That Vick hasn't learned means those 7 and 8 year olds who figured out Pokemon weren't the answer have an edge on a 33 year old "man."

N2NH
03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
He truly loved his companions. And he was not one to hide his feelings either:

”In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in ‘testing’ sessions … by various methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog’s body to the ground.” (Federal indictment PDF)

A report by a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) investigator provided more details on the April 2007 killings, saying that the men hung approximately three dogs "by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs’ heads in a five gallon bucket of water." They killed one dog by “slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog’s back or neck.”

According to a witness, the men fought their trained pit bulls with pet dogs, and they “thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs.”

They hosted fights at the Virginia property and transported dogs to other states to participate in fights. The fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours. Before fights, dogs would be bathed to remove any poison or narcotic that might have been placed on them to hinder their opponents’ performance. Losing dogs sometimes died in the pit. Gambling purses were frequently in the thousands of dollars.

Dogs who lost fights were sometimes executed:

“In or about March of 2003, PEACE, after consulting with VICK about the losing female pit bull’s condition, executed the losing dog by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal.” (Federal indictment PDF)

High Hoody Culture? According to Vick and nobody else. LINK (http://aldf.org/resources/laws-cases/animal-fighting-case-study-michael-vick/)

Sounds like another OJ in the making.

N2NH
03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Vick (highest paid player in the NFL) and entourage steals watch from a security screener (making $45K) and more!

Early controversies and crimes

Between his selection by the Atlanta Falcons in the 2001 NFL Draft and early 2007, Vick was allegedly involved in several incidents:

In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Vick. Falcons coach Dan Reeves said he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, and on staying out of trouble for the good of his team.[70]

On October 10, 2004, Vick and other members of his entourage, including employee Quanis Phillips, were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran flight. While they were passing through a security checkpoint, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[71] After watching the theft on a videotape, Spencer filed a police report. He claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons' "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[70] Although Vick's representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, Spencer got the watch back six days later.[71]

In March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002 and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[72] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[73] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back. The NFL later banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.[74]

After a loss to the New Orleans Saints on November 26, 2006 in the Georgia Dome, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans in an apparent reaction to booing, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity.[75]

Vick surrendered a water bottle that had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport on January 17, 2007. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[76] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry.[77]

On April 24, 2007, Vick was scheduled to lobby on Capitol Hill, hoping to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. Vick missed a connecting flight in Atlanta on Monday to Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Virginia. He failed to show up for another seat booked for him later that evening. On Tuesday morning, he did not attend his scheduled appearance at a congressional breakfast where he was to be honored for his foundation's work with after-school projects in Georgia and Virginia.[78] Vick's mother Brenda accepted the award from the Afterschool Alliance.

In 2007, Vicks father, Michael Boddie, made statements about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Boddie told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones that the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. "This is Mike's thing," he said. "And he knows it."[79] Within days, Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, told the Newport News Daily Press that "There was no dogfighting. There were no cages."[80]

On January 23, 2010, steroid trafficker David Jacobs told The Dallas Morning News that he supplied steroids to Vick while Vick played for the Falcons. When questioned by federal agents and prosecutors, Vick denied the allegations.[81]

I guess this is all cultural too.

Michael Dwayne Vick (born June 26, 1980) is an American football quarterback for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He has previously played for the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_vick)

X-Rated
03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
I grew up in Harlem. I spent a lot of time in The Bronx and Brooklyn. I never knew anyone who engaged in Dog-fighting. In all the neighborhoods I went to and lived in, NEVER ONCE did I see or know anyone who did this, and I knew a lot of people. NHE grew up in some tough neighborhoods and spent years in the South. Never once has she known or heard of anyone who was fighting dogs. I once heard of a cock-fight but it was broken up about a week after it started. I never knew where until I saw it on the news. It was a mile from where I lived.

That Vick can make the "Cultural" claim is Bvlls#!t. As far as Pokemon, it was a short-lived phenomena with kids in Brooklyn. Ran about 2 months. It was a hoot watching some kid shouting at the top of his lungs to a doll that wasn't going to do a fookin thing. That it took 2 months for kids to figure that out was even funnier. Still, no Pokemon were hurt in that and even if the stuffing did get knocked out of a few, unlike dogs, they weren't living beings.

That Vick hasn't learned means those 7 and 8 year olds who figured out Pokemon weren't the answer have an edge on a 33 year old "man."

In no way am I defending Vick. I think the practice of dog fighting is abhorrent. However by googling "Brooklyn dog fight" you can see that there is a lot about the town you existed in that you didn't know about. People don't raise dogs to fight their own dogs. People don't raise dogs to fight other dogs where there are just 2 people involved such as me raising a dog to fight the dog you raised and no one else knows about it. There has to be many people involved or it really isn't worth the effort. What I am trying to say is that if one dog fighter is uncovered, there are many people involved so there is an paying audience to make it "worthwhile". This is a societal issue. Passing off things like Pokemon as a passing fad is erroneous. There is a cult following to this day. You can still watch the shows, buy merchandise and rent movies. My grandkids are inundated with the Pokemon faze.

N2NH
03-27-2014, 03:44 PM
In no way am I defending Vick. I think the practice of dog fighting is abhorrent. However by googling "Brooklyn dog fight" you can see that there is a lot about the town you existed in that you didn't know about. People don't raise dogs to fight their own dogs. People don't raise dogs to fight other dogs where there are just 2 people involved such as me raising a dog to fight the dog you raised and no one else knows about it. There has to be many people involved or it really isn't worth the effort. What I am trying to say is that if one dog fighter is uncovered, there are many people involved so there is an paying audience to make it "worthwhile". This is a societal issue. Passing off things like Pokemon as a passing fad is erroneous. There is a cult following to this day. You can still watch the shows, buy merchandise and rent movies. My grandkids are inundated with the Pokemon faze.

Almost all the stories I see are from the last year or so. Definitely after my Brooklyn days. Glad to be from there, but not there. NYC is not the place I used to know and one day, that is going to come to a head. NHE was there, but this also is taking place after she left.

N2NH
05-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Come take your pick, #1 is Dog-killa Vick.

Or is that Ron Mexico I see?

n2ize
05-25-2014, 03:36 AM
I grew up in Harlem. I spent a lot of time in The Bronx and Brooklyn.

I grew up in the South Bronx in the 1960's and 70's when the South Bronx was the roughest neighborhood in the country.. I was stabbed, shot at, and attacked with a broken bottle and cut up. Drug dealers had a price on my head because I investigated and turned in a shooting gallery that was next door to my grandfathers house I did indeed hear rumors of cock fights and there were people in the area who raised them. Never actually withness any of it though.

I never knew anyone who engaged in Dog-fighting. In all the neighborhoods I went to and lived in, NEVER ONCE did I see or know anyone who did this, and I knew a lot of people. NHE grew up in some tough neighborhoods and spent years in the South. Never once has she known or heard of anyone who was fighting dogs. I once heard of a cock-fight but it was broken up about a week after it started. I never knew where until I saw it on the news. It was a mile from where I lived.

It goes on. maybe you didn;t see it or know anyone that engaged in it but it goes on. And there are some pretty big bets that go down.

That Vick can make the "Cultural" claim is Bvlls#!t.

well, some cultures engage in bullfighting which is also quite inhumane and cruel. So yeah there is a cultural aspect to this sort of thing. But the point is that Vick was living in this country where bullfights, dog fights, cock fights are illegal. So regardless of the "cultural aspects" he broke the law.

As far as Pokemon, it was a short-lived phenomena with kids in Brooklyn. Ran about 2 months. It was a hoot watching some kid shouting at the top of his lungs to a doll that wasn't going to do a fookin thing. That it took 2 months for kids to figure that out was even funnier. Still, no Pokemon were hurt in that and even if the stuffing did get knocked out of a few, unlike dogs, they weren't living beings.

Pokeman was short lived in Brooklyn ? I beg to differ here but Pokeman was shown world wide and was extremely popular for many many years all over the country and all over the world. It was certainly not limited to 2 weeks in Brooklyn.

He was breaking the law to make extra money on the side. The bottom line is that he broke the law. Also since many people are fond of dogs in this country as they are a popular pet it also damaged his credibility and reputation. raising dogs to use for brutal sport doesn't set will in this country and rightfully so. His actions were illegal and unacceptable. His arguments to justify it have no bearing. He broke the law and engaged in an activity that most people find reprehensible.