PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what SOCAL looked liked a few years back?

K7SGJ
03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Wonder no more. If you like looking at interesting old pictures, here ya go.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/g_cliser/sets/72157625895927403/

X-Rated
03-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Wonder no more. If you like looking at interesting old pictures, here ya go.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/g_cliser/sets/72157625895927403/

In the 1958 White Front photo, someone had parked a brand new 1959 Chevy Bel Air in the lot.

NQ6U
03-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Nice find, Eddie. The MIL lived in Lakewood before she moved down to San Diego so we could take care of her. That very first picture looks like it was shot right on her street. Of course, it's a false color image. We all know the world was still monochromatic in those days.

K7SGJ
03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Nice find, Eddie. The MIL lived in Lakewood before she moved down to San Diego so we could take care of her. That very first picture looks like it was shot right on her street. Of course, it's a false color image. We all know the world was still monochromatic in those days.

Depended on the drugs you happened to on at the moment. Like LDS, the popular Mormon psychotropic.

N2NH
03-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Love the pics. Too bad it still isn't like this.

W3WN
03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Something's missing.

Where's Sgt. Friday?

KC2UGV
03-21-2014, 12:17 PM
That's a pretty cool photostream! Thanks for linking it here for us :)

N2NH
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
There was a movie from that era shot in LA that I've always liked. I Saw What You Did (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Saw_What_You_Did), where two bored teenagers who are babysitting start making crank calls. That house over LA sort of reminded me of that.

VE7DCW
03-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I love looking at old photographs wherever they're from....... I remember going through Garden Grove on my way to Disneyland in 1994.....strange,did'nt look anything like that in the photograph... ;)

...... and all those LA shots with the city hall in most of them....I guess it such an imposing building on the skyline you just had to include it the shot!

......and where is all the traffic on the streets and highways?....... I remember a hell of a lot more vehicles when I was visiting there! :-D

NM5TF
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM
thanx for the trip down memory lane Desert Rat....

was born & raised in Long Beach, 20 miles South of LA....lots of those pix
showed some of my hangouts in the 50's-60's.....the thing that struck me
the most was how smog free the skies were back then...by the time I left
SoCal in 1976, you could barely see the mountains that surround LA...

kb2vxa
03-22-2014, 06:52 AM
"and all those LA shots with the city hall in most of them....I guess it such an imposing building on the skyline you just had to include it the shot!"

When I lived up north I didn't have to go far to see it, and the NY film companies didn't have to go all the way across the continent to film it. As a matter of fact I saw one doing just that. From the front you can't tell the Union County Courthouse and jail complex at 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth from its counterpart in La La Land as long as they don't get the Fireman's Memorial to the right of the main entrance in the shot. You might expect the courthouse in the county seat like the city of LA is the seat of LA County (which is why it's called La La Land) to be 1 Broad Street but that's the main library across Rahway Avenue to the left.

A little story behind the jail complex, the architect didn't connect the word jail with escape and designed the windows perfectly suited for it. It was classic, they'd tie bed sheets together and climb down. I spent many an interesting night by the scanner listening to the cops running around town rounding them up and oddly enough in a city where you have to shoot one just to get their attention no prisoners made good their escapes. It took a few years before some Homer Simpson type finally figured out if they make the side windows just a little bit smaller prisoners can't climb out. Remember I said Homer Simpson, it took him quite a few more years to make the REAR windows smaller so they couldn't hop down to a roof, climb down to the elevated railroad tracks (Amtrak/NJT North East Corridor), walk one block to the station, hop a train and beat it out of town.

It smells interesting there too in Lizardbreath, the city that makes its own cheese.

WX7P
03-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Great set of pics Rata.

One bummer is LA never had much appreciation for archetectrual history so most of those cool retro retail food places are probably gone.

W9JEF
03-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Something's missing.

Where's Sgt. Friday?

And Lawrence Welk?

And Annette?

KG4CGC
03-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Something's missing.

Where's Sgt. Friday?

Exactly the first thought I had.

N2NH