PDA

View Full Version : Addonics NAS Server

HUGH
03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Looking for a way to hold temporary files on a small network without huge expense, I fitted an small Addonics NAS device and tried various USB drives.

A USB HDD held a copious quantity of data but it was rather unnecessary and took a few seconds to run up from standby. An adaptor with a flash card worked OK as well but the data transfer was slow. A USB pen seemed the answer with 16 GB and decent speeds. So far so good until the data started corrupting, the whole thing required rebooting at intervals, then the fast, whizzy Patriot USB pen drive failed entirely and I could do nothing with it.

Next I fitted a 16GB Kingston Datatraveler Elite 3. This was very fast but the system still started to "fall over" and corrupted data again so as a last resort I fitted a cheap Kingston Datatraveler G3, nothing special, and for 15 months now it's been fast enough and experienced no failures. I'm assuming the other pens were just too fast for the Addonics NAS gadget whereas the G3 writes at about 5MB/s and reads at 10MB/s. All good.

The Kingston Elite 3 is still working well as my "Email-on-a stick" system.

Finally my query: has anyone else adopted this kind of server?

KJ3N
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I find 3 different versions of this device. Which one did you use?

When I think NAS, the minimum I would consider is something like the WD MyBook Live: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280

Ideally, I'd have a NAS with RAID functionality.