PDA

View Full Version : WTC security at its finest

W5BRM
03-20-2014, 07:41 AM
This makes me have soooo much confidence in our security!! http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sneaks-past-sleeping-wtc-guard-reaches-104th-floor/.

PA5COR
03-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah, i see, sleeping guards and all....

W3WN
03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Eh.

Human error, compounded by complacency.

The sleeping security guard? Fired. The elevator operator who took him up to the 88th floor, no questions asked? Reassigned (can't be fired due to the union. No comment).

A lot of red faces, I'm sure, at the Port Authority, the construction company, the security contractors (external & internal to the site & building).

And it will be a good thing... if they learn the lesson. Next time, it might not be a scrawny 16 year old who just gave in to an urge to see the place.

As far as the kid goes... he should get two things: A kick in the a$$ for trespassing, and a pat on the back for showing them a security issue that had damn well better be addressed. He's getting the kick in the a$$... he's looking at a misdemeanor charge. The pat on the back? I'm sure he'll get that once he gets on the talk-show circuit.

N2NH
03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I used to do 'security' in that area in the overnight hours. It's boring for hours on end with a few frantic moments. Some shifts seemed like the end of the world. Most were ho-hum. No excuse for this. Then again, as in most industries, they like to get rid of the best and the brightest.

This is what you get when you do.

NQ6U
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Most security companies pay barely more than minimum wage, which is not exactly the best way to attract the "best and the brightest." As far as the guy falling asleep goes, it may not be excusable but it is at least understandable. Considering how low the pay for security guards is, many of them are forced to work two jobs just to get by.

kb2vxa
03-20-2014, 07:03 PM
You forgot the best part.
Casquejo told cops he then climbed up to the roof and made it up to the antenna.
He'll be fathering some interesting kids.

K7SGJ
03-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Casquejo told cops he then climbed up to the roof and made it up to the antenna.
He'll be fathering some interesting kids.

I think I had one of those.

NA4BH
03-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Looks like uncooked round bacon.

K7SGJ
03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Looks like uncooked round bacon.

Oh oh, Take it away, Canada...................................

W3WN
03-20-2014, 08:12 PM
He'll be fathering some interesting kids.Nah. I don't think they have any transmitters up there yet.

Besides, it's a myth. Just look at N2RJ's kids... uh oh... no, let's stop right there.

W5BRM
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
I used to do 'security' in that area in the overnight hours. It's boring for hours on end with a few frantic moments. Some shifts seemed like the end of the world. Most were ho-hum. No excuse for this. Then again, as in most industries, they like to get rid of the best and the brightest.

This is what you get when you do.

I worked for Wackenhut Security back around '98 for about 3 months. I had to guard an under construction gas station in the middle of nowhere from 6p to 6a. talk about boooring! At the time, I had just gotten my very first laptop. Compaq 1276. Thank god for that thing or I woulda gone nuts. The guard shack I manned had a dual phone line and I'd use the 2nd line to acess dialup MSN internet service and chat all night...lol Thats the only thing that kept me from falling asleep.

KC2UGV
03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Most security companies pay barely more than minimum wage, which is not exactly the best way to attract the "best and the brightest." As far as the guy falling asleep goes, it may not be excusable but it is at least understandable. Considering how low the pay for security guards is, many of them are forced to work two jobs just to get by.

Exactly.

However, the elevator guy is kinda inexcusable. Being union, I'm sure s/he didn't get paid crap wages.

kb2vxa
03-21-2014, 08:55 AM
"Just look at N2RJ's kids... uh oh... no, let's stop right there."
It's a good thing I finished my coffee when I read that!

So, you sat in a Whackerhut all night, how I pity you. I know just what you mean, for 7 years I flew a parking lot exit tollbooth at Newark International Airport on the first shift, 11-7. Why people call it third shift I have no idea, it begins the day so the PA calls it first shift, but I digress. Having a one hand washes the other relationship with the supervisors, as one of the fastest manual operators (North Terminal was manual at the time) they put me in short term when we were needed there to expedite traffic flow. In return, when I wasn't need there I got the lazy lanes out in Never Never Land where the only car that came through was the PA lot supervisor at 2:00am and 5:00am. I kept a 12" B&W portable TV and boom box (with SW on it) in the trunk of my car to keep my sanity. BTW, I always had my scanner with me everywhere to keep on top of things. Some of the stuff that went down would blow your mind, stuff that never gets in the news, but that's another story.

W3WN
03-21-2014, 11:51 AM
I worked for Wackenhut Security back around '98 for about 3 months. I had to guard an under construction gas station in the middle of nowhere from 6p to 6a. talk about boooring! At the time, I had just gotten my very first laptop. Compaq 1276. Thank god for that thing or I woulda gone nuts. The guard shack I manned had a dual phone line and I'd use the 2nd line to acess dialup MSN internet service and chat all night...lol Thats the only thing that kept me from falling asleep.I have to ask, I just have to...

Does this make you... an ex-Wacker?

N2NH
03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
I worked for Wackenhut Security back around '98 for about 3 months. I had to guard an under construction gas station in the middle of nowhere from 6p to 6a. talk about boooring! At the time, I had just gotten my very first laptop. Compaq 1276. Thank god for that thing or I woulda gone nuts. The guard shack I manned had a dual phone line and I'd use the 2nd line to acess dialup MSN internet service and chat all night...lol Thats the only thing that kept me from falling asleep.

It's slightly more interesting down there. What with the ghosts of 9/11, the drunks coming home from parties or 'gentlemens' clubs and loonies from out of town packing heat in their pickups looking to shoot someone. Hours of boredom with a few moments of frantic insanity.

W5BRM
03-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I have to ask, I just have to...

Does this make you... an ex-Wacker?. *rimshot*

Lol i guess it does!

N2NH
03-21-2014, 04:55 PM
That's the kids friends opinion. Patrick Flores in a local news interview said that we should be thankful that this kid exposed the security flaws. Really? Then if someone robs a jewelry store, they shouldn't press charges, they should pay the guy for exposing security flaws? How about a bank robbery?

Yah, you should be thankful.

kb2vxa
03-22-2014, 04:59 AM
"...loonies from out of town packing heat in their pickups looking to shoot someone."
The locals are called Rednecks, they're everywhere so whatever you do NEVER call them loonies! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952h-AJ3Bcg Beware of off duty cops with pickups parked at strip clubs, they have SWAT gear in them.

"...they should pay the guy for exposing security flaws?"
They pay the world's most famous hacker, Kevin Mitnick. http://mitnicksecurity.com/ Justin will have a good thing going when he gets a little older if he plays his cards right. Considering his methods were quite similar to Kevin's he'll go far. He sneaked in a back door and used social engineering to get up, sneaked past a guard and made it to the top.