PDA

View Full Version : People are just realizing that without Lucille Ball, there would be no Star Trek...

N2NH
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
In light of that, here is a tribute to Ms. Ball...

http://youtu.be/D-yy2URAYqU

N2CHX
03-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Yup. Star Trek was produced by Desilu. Damn commies.

W3WN
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM
No offense, but real Trekkers knew this. I'm not sure how many Trekkies did.

N2NH
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
George Takei (Lt. Sulu) didn't, so he checked. Apparently a guy named Solow who worked for DesiLu was the real genius behind getting Star Trek on to the small screen according to Takei.

W3WN
03-28-2014, 08:30 AM
George Takei (Lt. Sulu) didn't, so he checked. Apparently a guy named Solow who worked for DesiLu was the real genius behind getting Star Trek on to the small screen according to Takei.I've seen that name before. Isn't his full name Herb Solow? I'd have to go back and look at the ST:TOS episodes, but I think his name pop's up in the end credits as one of the DesiLu/Paramount high muckety-mucks. (Not that I'm making fun of the guy, but you never know who actually does real work, and whose name is there because of other reasons, like ego-stroking)

That said, at the time ST:TOS went on the air, the studio was still DesiLu, and that means that Lucy had to sign off on it. Even if it just meant going with the staff recommendation & placing her signature on the right pieces of paper, ultimately, it was her studio, her risks, her desk that the buck ultimately would stop at. So she deserves credit. As does the staff working for her who approved all of it as well.

N2NH
03-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I've seen that name before. Isn't his full name Herb Solow? I'd have to go back and look at the ST:TOS episodes, but I think his name pop's up in the end credits as one of the DesiLu/Paramount high muckety-mucks. (Not that I'm making fun of the guy, but you never know who actually does real work, and whose name is there because of other reasons, like ego-stroking)

That said, at the time ST:TOS went on the air, the studio was still DesiLu, and that means that Lucy had to sign off on it. Even if it just meant going with the staff recommendation & placing her signature on the right pieces of paper, ultimately, it was her studio, her risks, her desk that the buck ultimately would stop at. So she deserves credit. As does the staff working for her who approved all of it as well.

Yep. That's him, Herb Solow. I agree that Lucille Ball had to okay it too. I was always appreciative that DesiLu picked it up. Considering the special I saw regarding this book that Solow wrote a few years ago, Star Trek was a unique show in many ways.

W9JEF
03-28-2014, 10:55 PM

Wife #3 was a treckie ...er, trecker (she considered "treckie" be a slur).

I used to watch Star Trek with an eye toward the absurd.
As if the sound of the clicking relays in the first Enterprise computer wasn't naïve enough,
there's the traveling back in time, which is paradoxical--not going to happen.

It seems every episode had the same basic plot:
An alien presence on the Enterprise threatens to drive the crew mad.
What intended humor there was, seemed to be based on old jokes:

Scotty, explaining why he got into a brawl:
"Well captain, when they insulted the crew, I held back.
When they insulted the captain, I was even more furious,
but again, I restrained meself.
But when they insulted the Enterprise..."

Then there's the scene where the crew lands on this exotic planet
and each man ends up in the arms of a beautiful woman--except Spock,
who's standing there, shaking his head, saying "Most illogical. Most illogical."

Mr. stuffed shirt barks, "Scotty, a minute ago,
I told you we need warp nine! What's the holdup?"
"Aye capt'n, I'm shovelin' coal as fast as I can!"
What do you mean coal, Scotty?
The ship runs on matter/anti-matter!"
"Aye... well ya better git somebody down here;
it's a pretty big fire we got a goin'!"