PDA

View Full Version : Seven benefits of masticating Dark Chocolate

N2NH
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
The health benefits of dark chocolate seem to outweigh the bad effects. Here are seven good reasons to eat chocolate as long as it's dark chocolate...

...if you aren't eating it consistently, you could be missing out on some of the most amazing health benefits of dark chocolate you never knew about, writes Will Clower, PhD, author of the new book Eat Chocolate, Lose Weight. "Given the fact that healthy cultures eat chocolate all the time and research has yet to show anything but confirmatory evidence about the health effects of high-cocoa chocolate," he says, "it seems logical that you should eat chocolate every day, like a delicious vitamin."

Of course, you have to eat the right chocolate--the candy bars in the grocery store checkout lane aren't going to cut it. You'll reap the greatest health benefits of dark chocolate with products that have 70 percent, or higher, cocoa levels.

So what are those great benefits? Aside from chocolate's reputation as an aphrodisiac and a momentary mood-booster, here are seven legitimate reasons you should be eating it every day.

Lindt works for me.

7 (legitimate!) health benefits of dark chocolate (http://healthyliving.msn.com/nutrition/7-legitimate-health-benefits-of-dark-chocolate)

K7SGJ
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
And here I thought masticating was frowned upon. Who Gnu?

NQ6U
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
And here I thought masticating was frowned upon. Who Gnu?

Mormons do frown upon mastication.

n0iu
03-19-2014, 09:42 PM
#8 ) I tastes gud!

kb2vxa
03-20-2014, 10:00 PM

n2ize
03-21-2014, 03:39 AM
I think they mean relatively pure unsweetened dark cocoa. The extremely bitter stuff. Not the stuff that we are used to which is loaded with sugar or corn syrup and is a ticket to diabetes land.

kb2vxa
03-21-2014, 07:24 AM
If you read the article you wouldn't think, you would know. I have a few thoughts on certain Islanders' thinking, but I'll keep them to myself. (;->)

KB3LAZ
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Yuck, rancid roadkill tastes better than dark chocolate.

n2ize
03-21-2014, 11:12 AM
If you read the article you wouldn't think, you would know. I have a few thoughts on certain Islanders' thinking, but I'll keep them to myself. (;->)

Yes, I did read it. Dark chocolate that is at least 70% pure cocoa. But most chocolate comes in many forms and often the remaining 30% is sugar in order to make the chocolate palatable which can be a problem for diabetics or people with a tendency towards diabetes. Of course there is non-sugar sweetener but that stuff taste like crap and strong unsweetened cocoa also tastes like crap. I suppose one could get used to it. I got used to drinking strong unsweeetened coffee and nowadays I prefer coffee without sugar or sweeteners. But cocoa is just nasty bitter. Lastly I wouldn't take the health claims made in the article seriously unless I read some reputable peer reviewed medical research supporting the claims. All to often the Internetz gets it wrong. ;) Yeah, I know, it was taken from a book written by a guy with Ph.D at the end of his name but that doesn't make him correct either. Plenty of people with lots of letters after their name get it wrong too.

N2NH
03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Of course, you have to eat the right chocolate--the candy bars in the grocery store checkout lane aren't going to cut it. You'll reap the greatest health benefits of dark chocolate with products that have 70 percent, or higher, cocoa levels.

That depends of course. This works:

http://cdn.lindtusa.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/products/main/450x/70-Cocoa-EXCELLENCE-Bar_main_450x_392825.png

...and they also have 85% and 90% Dark Chocolate bars too. Works for me anyway.

X-Rated
03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Yuck, rancid roadkill tastes better than dark chocolate.

I had no idea. Rancid roadkill must be delicious.

W5BRM
03-21-2014, 02:13 PM
That depends of course. This works:

http://cdn.lindtusa.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/products/main/450x/70-Cocoa-EXCELLENCE-Bar_main_450x_392825.png

...and they also have 85% and 90% Dark Chocolate bars too. Works for me anyway.

Funny you should mention Lindt. I just happen to be at their New Hampshire warehouse and they were gracious enough to give me some samples!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjRd7KlIIAAPEu5.jpg

Their plant smells sooooo good inside!! :drool: :drool:

It REALLY sucks being diabetic!

N2NH
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Funny you should mention Lindt. I just happen to be at their New Hampshire warehouse and they were gracious enough to give me some samples!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjRd7KlIIAAPEu5.jpg

Their plant smells sooooo good inside!! :drool: :drool:

It REALLY sucks being diabetic!

Oh, I'm diabetic also, but one must even out the blood sugar. When it's low, soda is a quick fix. Long term, if I gotta eat something sweet, it might as well taste good too. Glucose gel tabs only make me puke, so real sugar it is.

HUGH
03-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Mmm! Love all darker chocolate!

One problem with roadkill is all those little stones that tend to get scraped up with it.

kb2vxa
03-22-2014, 04:19 AM
Actually it's an advantage at the Roadkill Cafe, they cook your meal and clean the pans at the same time.

W9JEF
03-24-2014, 02:13 PM

Hershey's Giant Special Dark "mildly sweet chocolate"
has NO high-fructose corn syrup, and just enough sugar. :)

n2ize
03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
I prefer the lighter chocolates anyway. In general I don't care much for confectioneries or candies. I prefer stuff that is hot and spicy. If I do want something sweet I generally reach for an apple, an orange, , banana, etc.

kb2vxa
03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Never mind Easter, chocolate bunnies are tasty anytime.

n0iu
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM

Did someone say chocolate bunnehs?

X-Rated
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM

That's hardly sugar free.

kb2vxa
03-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Sorry, I forgot, but it won't rot your teeth or give you diabetes.

I bet your mama was a tent show queen,
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen.
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like,
You should have heard me just around midnight.
Ah brown sugar, how come you taste so good
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should.
I said yeah, I said yeah, I said yeah, I said
Oh just like a, just like a Black girl should.

That reminds me of what a Black girl told me; the blacker the berry the sweeter the taste.

KA9MOT
03-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I haven't read the thread so I don't really know what it says but...... I tried masturbating with dark chocolate. It made a lousy lube and a mess. :lol:

kb2vxa
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
You should have read the thread, but now go back and do it right this time.