PDA

View Full Version : Daisy 4x15 scope sighting

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 11:20 AM
I've been trying to sight this scope, and now, I'm shooting low still at 10 yds. However, the issue now is the elevation knob is maxed out already.

So, is this a problem of:
* Shite scope
* Rings backwards
* ???

Any idears are appreciated. Even if it's "Replace the scope".

K7SGJ
03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
If you run the elevation adjustment all the other way, does the projectile hit even lower? I'm wondering if it is changing. If it is, is the rear mounting ring a different size than the front?

I could say you have projectile dysfunction, but I won't.

PA5COR
03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Using a laser boresight i adjusted the 3x9 50 mm scope on the M1 USA Carbine in .30 that laser comes with several shrouds so it fits into the chamber of the weapon in use and puts a red dot out the way the barrel is pointing at, then it is easy peasy to adjust the scope to it.

I had the same problem, my scope and mount weren't lining up correctly, the scope could not be set correctly and reached the end of it's settings what is not a good idea.
So, i altered the mount it was put up on.
Change rings and see what it does, or else you need another mount with rings.
Maybe the scope is out of whack, but start with the mount first, mostly the fault is there in the mount or how the scope is mounted .

Piccie?

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if I need to put some adjustment slugs under the front of the mount, and work back up. It's a dovetail mount (Just an air rifle, nothing fancy pants).

K7SGJ
03-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if I need to put some adjustment slugs under the front of the mount, and work back up. It's a dovetail mount (Just an air rifle, nothing fancy pants).

That would be my choice if everything else looks good. Just put the adjustments back to mid-range, shim the front till you're close at the range you want, then tweak it with the adjustments. Keep in mind one very important thing.................you'll put yer eye out.

w6tmi
03-18-2014, 01:36 PM
If you run the elevation adjustment all the other way, does the projectile hit even lower? I'm wondering if it is changing. If it is, is the rear mounting ring a different size than the front?

I could say you have projectile dysfunction, but I won't.

Well he did mention maxing out his knob... :p

Perhaps not so much shiite scope as defective? Along with perhaps other aspects of the mount being off.
Assuming the gun isn't shooting way low, unlikely @ 10 yards.

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Well he did mention maxing out his knob... :p

Perhaps not so much shiite scope as defective? Along with perhaps other aspects of the mount being off.
Assuming the gun isn't shooting way low, unlikely @ 10 yards.

Oh, it is shooting way low, even at just 10 yards. The elevation screw is completely undone, and wont raise anymore.

I even tried a "trick" and rotated the scope, so windage became elevation, and vice-versa; so I could bring is sideways. Still no dice. I shimmed the hell out of it, but didn't want to damage the scope.

I think the rings are just bad, along with the scope. It's a cheapo $10 scope that comes with the 880. I think I'll just dump $30 in a mount/scope for it. Not going to sink too much money into it, as the iron sights work fine, and I can pop a 20oz bottle cap at 10 yards.

PA5COR
03-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Stupid Q:
You do lower the scope and nnot put it to a higher setting ?
Shooting low, you adjust the scope to the impact hole = lower setting....

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Stupid Q:
You do lower the scope and nnot put it to a higher setting ?
Shooting low, you adjust the scope to the impact hole = lower setting....

I guess I'm missing what you're trying to say?

KK4AMI
03-18-2014, 06:27 PM

I would think that if you want to raise the point of impact, you will need to shim the rear part of the mount. If you push the back part of the rifle down from the scope, that raises the muzzle. Since it is dovetailed right to the receiver, that might be difficult. Might be best to reverse the rings in case one is higher (highest one in the rear) You have other factors to. Are you using BBs or Pellets, that will change the point of impact. How many pumps are you using. Lots of pumps means a faster projectile and flatter shooting. Less pumps means a slow projectile and more of an arc! Remember the Scope is about 2 inches higher then the muzzle. I saw in a Walmart ad, this thing shoots at 800 ft a second and out to 300 yards. I'm guessing 10 yds is not that far out, so you will need to shim the rear of the scope up to zero it!

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
I would think that if you want to raise the point of impact, you will need to shim the rear part of the mount. If you push the back part of the rifle down from the scope, that raises the muzzle. Since it is dovetailed right to the receiver, that might be difficult. Might be best to reverse the rings in case one is higher (highest one in the rear) You have other factors to. Are you using BBs or Pellets, that will change the point of impact. How many pumps are you using. Lots of pumps means a faster projectile and flatter shooting. Less pumps means a slow projectile and more of an arc! Remember the Scope is about 2 inches higher then the muzzle. I saw in a Walmart ad, this thing shoots at 800 ft a second and out to 300 yards. I'm guessing 10 yds is not that far out, so you will need to shim the rear of the scope up to zero it!

You know... You might be on the money here. Perhaps I actually need to zero it at more reasonable distances? I'm only giving it two pumps (indoor shooting), and maybe a scope just isn't cut out for that. So, I guess I just haul out the targets over the weekend and work it out there.

KK4AMI
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
10 to 20 yds is ideal for an air rifle. Check out the "How to" on Youtube videos. You are in for some work. I didn't realize you have a barrel inside a barrel shroud. The guy on the video removes the shroud and bends the barrel over his knee to change the impact point. Whew! Good Luck with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQzbgb-s_P4

K7SGJ
03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
10-20 yards? Grab the rifle by the front of the barrel, with the butt facing forward, towards the bottle cap. Raise smartly over left shoulder, rapidly move arm in a downward motion and release the barrel on the downward stroke. Rifle should tumble with enough velocity to take out a bottle cap at well over 20 yds., and most anything else that happens to get in the way.

KC2UGV
03-18-2014, 08:43 PM
10 to 20 yds is ideal for an air rifle. Check out the "How to" on Youtube videos. You are in for some work. I didn't realize you have a barrel inside a barrel shroud. The guy on the video removes the shroud and bends the barrel over his knee to change the impact point. Whew! Good Luck with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQzbgb-s_P4

That's a good video... I'm reticent to do the "adjustment", because my iron sights are dead on :(

PA5COR
03-19-2014, 03:33 AM
Sighting in an scope is nnot difficult, aim with scope on target and see where the bulle impacts.
Then adjust the scope in one direction only - up/down/ left /right till you gt that plane good then do the other one.
You adjust the scope towards the impact point of the bullet, so if the bullet is too low you set the scope lower matching the impact point ( might need a few tries).

Reading you wanted to raise the forward section of the scope you would go the wrong way to adjust for a low impact....
If you need major adjustaations for the scope on 10 meters distance 20 will be off quite, so sight in scope on normal shooting distance.
Mine is zero's in at 100 meter for the US M1 Carbine .30, if i shoot at 25 or 50 meters i just can correct knowing the bullet will bee a few inches higher and aim accordingly using the sightings bars in the scope.

N8YX
03-19-2014, 07:19 AM
It's probably the rings.

Try this: Measure each and if the bottom of the front one is higher than the rear one, swap them and try re-sighting the optic.

Sounds nuts...but...many purpose-built ring sets (especially those used for precision shooting) have an elevation adjustment of 10 or 20 MOA built into them; this to allow for correct dial-in at long distances. It could very well be that your rings were built with a similar principle in mind.