PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting

W3WN
03-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Gentleman, and Ladies (and you too Underdog)...

Never, ever, EVER begrudge a plumber the money they make.

Do you have any idea how disgusting a P-trap is?

Little Miss Field Day took an early shower, after coming home from school & practice for her play. We suddenly hear a screech... she'd dropped a charm off her bracelet down the sink.

So I had to take the P-trap apart.

The good news is, we found the charm. The bad news? That stench was so foul that not even the dog wanted near it, and LucyFurr normally LOVES disgusting smells, the nastier, the better. The trap was about 50% clogged... now I know why the doctors get on our cases about cholesterol & arteries.

What clogged it? Long hair. Not mine.

Well, the sink is back together... LMFD has been warned never, EVER, to bring her bracelets etc. into the bathroom with her... and I've washed my hands four times, and I think I've finally gotten the smell taken care of.

Maybe now, I'll get my appetite for dinner back.

NQ6U
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Speaking as a former plumber now in recovery, Ron, I know how foul a P-trap can get. Believe it or not, that nasty chit is mostly bio-degraded hair.

N2CHX
03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Gross. Before we finally broke down and realized the main sewer line to the old Victorian needed to be replaced, I was sending an industrial strength snake down there about once a month. Each time got harder and harder to break through and one day the snake kinked up inside the T under the basement floor. I was knee deep in shit and trying desperately to unkink the damn thing, with leather gloves on in six inches of slime and poop. The snake broke and I could not recover the last 50 feet of it. The guys who dug out the old clay pipe and replaced it all recovered it. That was so disgusting and I hope to never have to endure that ever again.

Bubba
03-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Gross. Before we finally broke down and realized the main sewer line to the old Victorian needed to be replaced, I was sending an industrial strength snake down there about once a month. Each time got harder and harder to break through and one day the snake kinked up inside the T under the basement floor. I was knee deep in shit and trying desperately to unkink the damn thing, with leather gloves on in six inches of slime and poop. The snake broke and I could not recover the last 50 feet of it. The guys who dug out the old clay pipe and replaced it all recovered it. That was so disgusting and I hope to never have to endure that ever again.

I am sorry to hear about your industrial snake going soft.

VE7DCW
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Speaking as a former plumber now in recovery, Ron, I know how foul a P-trap can get. Believe it or not, that nasty chit is mostly bio-degraded hair.

Speaking as a maintenance person who has done many,many,many plumbing repairs in motels,apartment complexes and offices......I can relate with Carl and with you Ron......I have done work like unplugging and trouble shooting septic fields and sewers and septic and minor waste water treatment plants....talk about gross! ..... but funny,when you've done enough of them like I have it doesn't bother me at all...never really did....
......but i'll take electrical stuff anyday of the week though..... it's a lot cleaner :yes:

N2CHX
03-17-2014, 09:03 PM
I am sorry to hear about your industrial snake going soft.

Ummm... OK. Thanks?

kb2vxa
03-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Considering all the shit (sic) that goes down the pipe I'm not the least bit surprised. If you think THAT'S bad, the last place you want to work is at the OTHER end of the pipe! We'll leave that one for Mike Rowe.

K7SGJ
03-18-2014, 06:42 PM
While sink p traps are indeed nasty, yanking a fur ball the size of a cat out of the shower (or tub) drain on the end of a coat hanger hook is a real treat. By the time that bad boy plugs up, the decomposing organic material, along with all the soaps, shampoos, softeners, oils, dirt, grease, STP, and whatever other additives end up in there are indescribable; in smell as well as looks. It's a bio-hazard nightmare.

W3WN
03-19-2014, 07:44 AM
While sink p traps are indeed nasty, yanking a fur ball the size of a cat out of the shower (or tub) drain on the end of a coat hanger hook is a real treat. By the time that bad boy plugs up, the decomposing organic material, along with all the soaps, shampoos, softeners, oils, dirt, grease, STP, and whatever other additives end up in there are indescribable; in smell as well as looks. It's a bio-hazard nightmare.Yeah, well, about that... did I tell you what happened with my father-in-law last year?

I had to replace the upstairs toilet; he came over to help. So, we get the old commode out, he's inspected the hole in the floor... damned if I know why... and as he bends over, his cell phone (which is in his front shirt pocket) does a nose dive right down the waste hole.

Yes, we recovered the phone. By going down to the basement, opening up the access panel to the feed, and pouring a bucket of water down the waste hole until the phone got flushed out. (I poured; he recovered. ) The phone itself didn't work too well afterwards, but the SIMM card was salvaged and transferred to another phone.

That's another "Mike Rowe"-type experience that I could do without repeating.

W9JEF
03-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, well, about that... did I tell you what happened with my father-in-law last year?

I had to replace the upstairs toilet; he came over to help. So, we get the old commode out, he's inspected the hole in the floor... damned if I know why... and as he bends over, his cell phone (which is in his front shirt pocket) does a nose dive right down the waste hole.

Yes, we recovered the phone. By going down to the basement, opening up the access panel to the feed, and pouring a bucket of water down the waste hole until the phone got flushed out. (I poured; he recovered. ) The phone itself didn't work too well afterwards, but the SIMM card was salvaged and transferred to another phone.

That's another "Mike Rowe"-type experience that I could do without repeating.

I once took that proverbial "long walk off a short pier."
(It was a boat rental building--very dark in there.)
My pager (among other things) got soaked.
Took it apart and left it in the sun for a while,
once dry again, it worked fine.

WØTKX
03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
http://www.ixdaily.com/images/grind-blog/857-2008318Boatoilet.jpg

kb2vxa
03-29-2014, 09:35 PM
That's redundant. You don't need chemicals when you have a resident toilet snake.

n2ize
03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
That's why when I need to clear clogged drains I send a real live snake down there. Always gets the drains clear and when he comes back up he gets a nice meal of crickets and mice.

kb2vxa
03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Just remove the snake when you're done so a problem doesn't come back to bite you on the ass.

W9JEF
03-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Why not save yourself all the unpleasantness, and
just discard the funky old p-trap, and buy a new one?

W3WN
03-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Why not save yourself all the unpleasantness, and
just discard the funky old p-trap, and buy a new one?Because I still had to take the trap off & clean it out to get the lost charm out of it.

Since there was nothing wrong with the trap itself, once it was cleansed & the lost item found, there was no reason NOT to put it back on.

W9JEF
03-30-2014, 12:38 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . .D'oh! :homer:

wa6mhz
03-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Maybe thats where my wifes wedding ring is. otherwise its in the septic tank!!! Not looking in there!

kb2vxa
03-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes Homer, cleaning and replacing a perfectly good trap is cheaper than buying a new one. (;->)

Sure as shit (sic) I don't blame you, even Mike Rowe who became a millionaire doing Dirty Jobs would have second thoughts about searching a septic tank for a wedding ring. You're better off buying her a new one and having it blessed by Pope Carlo and having him officiate at your renewing your wedding vows. Just when he gets to the "I do" part it's OK to say "we already did". Then he says "I now pronounce you ham and eggs, you may eat the eggs but don't do it here."

w3bny
03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Grease traps...thats where the real horrors are at!

NQ6U
03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Grease traps...thats where the real horrors are at!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ