PDA

View Full Version : The Ides of March - 3/15

N2NH
03-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Today is the Ides of March which Shakespeare warned of. Hindsight being 20/20 it did little to benefit Ceaser...

http://youtu.be/sxJFjO4Skgo

W9JEF
03-15-2014, 12:25 PM

While Caesar had a salad and a surgical procedure named after him,
he missed out on having our years numbered in reference to his birthday.

March 15 used to be the day you had to file your federal income tax by, in order to avoid a penalty.

NQ6U
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Dupe

NQ6U
03-15-2014, 12:59 PM
While Caesar had a salad and a surgical procedure named after him

There seems to be some doubt about that. From the Wikipedia:

Pliny the Elder theorized that Julius Caesar's name came from an ancestor who was born by Caesarean section, but the truth of this is debated (see the article on the Etymology of the name of Julius Caesar). The Ancient Roman Caesarean section was first performed to remove a baby from the womb of a mother who died during childbirth. Caesar's mother, Aurelia, lived through childbirth and successfully gave birth to her son, ruling out the possibility the Roman ruler and general was born by Caesarean section. His first wife however died in childbirth, giving birth to a stilborn son who might have lived had a caesarean taken place.

So, it's possible that he was named after the procedure rather than the other way around. Full article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section).

And as to the salad:

The salad's creation is generally attributed to restaurateur Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in Mexico and the United States. Cardini was living in San Diego but also working in Tijuana where he avoided the restrictions of Prohibition. His daughter Rosa (1928–2003) recounted that her father invented the dish when a Fourth of July 1924 rush depleted the kitchen's supplies. Cardini made do with what he had, adding the dramatic flair of the table-side tossing "by the chef." A number of Cardini's staff have said that they invented the dish.

Julia Child said that she had eaten a Caesar salad at Cardini's restaurant when she was a child in the 1920s. The earliest contemporary documentation of Caesar Salad is from a 1946 Los Angeles restaurant menu, twenty-two years after the 1924 origin stated by the Cardinis.

So, it looks like the Caesar Salad may have been invented here in San Diego, something I didn't know until now. Full article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_salad).

In any case, keep a close eye on your best friend today...

K7SGJ
03-15-2014, 01:57 PM
The last time we went out for dinner, they brought me three salads, but I only.....et tu.

N2NH
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
In any case, keep a close eye on your best friend today...

If I do, the wife's union will give me a cease and desist order.

kb2vxa
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Julio, down by the school yard, came up with a simple, neatly organized calendar with days numbered 1 to 365 with 366 for leap year. Timekeeping is quick and easy, for one thing it's used at airports for determining parking fees. Just subtract the in time (days-hours-minutes) from out time, then multiply by the applicable rate. To make it easier, 10 minutes into the next hour, add one hour. (If they're in the lot less than 10 minutes it's free but don't tell anybody.) Now if we used the Julian calendar for everything everybody's life would be easier but NOOOooo, the Catholic Church being the world's most powerful government had a Pope (sorry Carlo) named Gregory stoned on incense and entranced by his hypnotic Gregorian chants rammed HIS calendar down our throats so he could sit back and watch the confusion because the cheap ass Vatican wouldn't buy him a TV. Being a walking contradiction and a vindictive rat bastard pissed of at the collection plate counters, he named days and months after "false" gods worshiped by ancient Rome, and appeased the Norse by naming some after their gods fearing a Viking invasion. Actually I like Viking Invader 2000 and his little brother Viking Invader 200.........

KC9ECI
03-15-2014, 09:43 PM
The Ides has always been good to me. Not so much my mother.

NA4BH
03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
The last time we went out for dinner, they brought me three salads, but I only.....et tu.

You should seek some serious help. ( But I LOLed anyway)

K7SGJ
03-15-2014, 10:05 PM
You should seek some serious help. ( But I LOLed anyway)

How's our girl?

NA4BH
03-15-2014, 10:07 PM
There was a copper that came out to check on her tonight.

K7SGJ
03-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Wire you two getting roudy?

NA4BH
03-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Ohm, I have little resistance.

K7SGJ
03-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Perhaps she should conductor self a little differently.

NA4BH
03-15-2014, 10:27 PM
She has put me in an oxygen free state.

K7SGJ
03-15-2014, 10:29 PM
You should have seen what she did when I tried to stripper.

NA4BH
03-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Now you're just trying to plastic coat everything. I think you're shooting for the Eddy effect.