PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again...

N2NH
03-04-2014, 10:08 AM
On March 8th, when the clocks spring forward an hour. Personally I like it as sunset gets pushed back an hour. I get another hour to get home from the stores without having to fight the glare of high beams that people around here drive with all the time. They've never heard of a dimmer it seems...

As seen on the Daily Nexus on March 3, the debate is on again this year with the people asking the question: “Is Daylight Saving Time wasting our time?” Then there are the folks wondering which is the correct title of this day designated for clock turning.

For decades folks have been told that Daylight Saving Time saves you money, but a new study by UCSB suggests it is a costly venture instead. Focusing on counties in Indiana, UCSB found that the DST actually significantly increased the energy bills.

The heat goes up in most homes when folks get up in the morning. With the time change, folks are getting up an hour earlier, which is the colder part of the morning, so this means a rise in heating bills, claims the study. More electricity is needed to light the dark mornings, where before the time change, you would be asleep during the majority of the dark hours and wake around dawn. Now dawn is later.

While it not only costs more money than it would if they just left time alone, it is suggested that changing the clock twice a year can play havoc with your health. Folks will need to wake up an hour earlier than usual when the clocks spring ahead on Sunday, which can be hazardous to your health in the long haul.

Besides, it's just more of that gub'mint control stuff.

Daylight Saving Time 2014: Time to turn the clocks ahead, or time to retire DST? (http://www.examiner.com/article/daylight-saving-time-2014-time-to-turn-the-clocks-ahead-or-time-to-retire-dst)

W2NAP
03-04-2014, 10:12 AM
We got DST forced on us here in Indiana. and most of us (on the EST side) cant stand the damn thing. We want our ol Indiana time back no screwing with clocks crap.

and yes it does increase the bills.

KC2UGV
03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Retire DST. We don't use oil lamps anymore.

K7SGJ
03-04-2014, 10:25 AM
What is this DST you speak of?

N2CHX
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
We got DST forced on us here in Indiana. and most of us (on the EST side) cant stand the damn thing. We want our ol Indiana time back no screwing with clocks crap.

and yes it does increase the bills.

Ha! When I did engineering for a couple of radio stations in Union City, every studio had two clocks; One for one side of the railroad tracks and one for the other. Depending on which side of town you were on (which state you were in), pretty much separated by the tracks, the time was different. Crazy stuff.

W2NAP
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Ha! When I did engineering for a couple of radio stations in Union City, every studio had two clocks; One for one side of the railroad tracks and one for the other. Depending on which side of town you were on (which state you were in), pretty much separated by the tracks, the time was different. Crazy stuff.

yeah takes getting used to. same time as NYC in winter -1hr in summer. we liked it that way though. no changing clock crap.

KG4CGC
03-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Just change over to metric time.

NQ6U
03-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Just change over to metric time.

"What time is it?"

"1.57m"

W9JEF
03-04-2014, 01:45 PM

What's that American Indian saying, about white man
cutting one end off blanket, sewing it on other end,
and having a bigger one?

PA5COR
03-04-2014, 02:20 PM
March 30th for us here ;)

X-Rated
03-04-2014, 04:33 PM
March 30th for us here ;)

I am hoping that DST will warm us up better. This subfreezing weather constantly is really old. We have had snow on the ground ALL WINTER. Snowed again last night. I saw a squirrel with his ears frozen off. They are walking around like they are drunk they are so sick. We need something going for us.

PA5COR
03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Last year we had a decent cold winter with 23 snowdays, temperatures day and night below 0 Celcius, for at least 30 days, and a very cold spring.
Now i counted 2 nights for a few hours just below ) Celcius, November/December/January?february too warm with record high average temps.
First 2 weeks in March looking the same way, 15 C this weekend, sunny nice spring weather.
Most of Europe was the same, the polar vortex that brought you deep freeze winter brought much too warm, wet and stormy weather here.
Normally in that period we see 2 decent storms of force 8 -9 now we had 22 of which 10 were 9 -11 or higher.
The First one oof that batch saw 105 mile per hour wind attacking my antenna's.... they held up.... just...
Will do some work on the antenna's ths summer, looking to get the beams for 2/70 out of the rotating mast, keep the 6 meter beam and replace the Diamond X 510 for a Diamond discone 50 MHz- 500 MHz one.
Lowering and lessening the impact of the wind.
The L has to do, it is 77 feet high, and did well.
Replacing the IMAX 2000 for a 160 -10 Sandpiper antenna the V9 type 8.
And replace the chimney brackets for even better ones.

That should keep my stuff up even in the expected worse and more frequent storms i expect the next years.

kb2vxa
03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Daylight saving time, we have more time in summer so we save it up. Then in winter we spend all that extra time we saved up playing radio. It comes in handy on 160 and 80M when without static crashes we have in summer, all that time we saved up NOT playing radio is especially useful. Now why are you complaining, did you forget to save time last summer or did you waste it on the internet and had no time for radio? This summer you can do it on line, go to the General and save some time!

n2ize
03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
On March 8th, when the clocks spring forward an hour. Personally I like it as sunset gets pushed back an hour. I get another hour to get home from the stores without having to fight the glare of high beams that people around here drive with all the time. They've never heard of a dimmer it seems...

I say retire DST once and for all. As the wise old "Native American saying goes, "Only the white man believes he can make a blanket longer buy cutting a foot off of one end and sewing it on to the other end".

Perhaps DST did serve a function at one time or other (maybe saved on candles or lamp oil) but in modern times I think it serves no useful purpose and its time to pack it in.

n2ize
03-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Retire DST. We don't use oil lamps anymore.

Speak for yourself...LOL... Actually last year I used oil lamps for 5-6 days following the wreckage from the hurricane.

w3bny
03-05-2014, 12:08 PM
"What time is it?"

"1.57m"

UTC and be done with it.

kb2vxa
03-06-2014, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHfB63ln1Ig

W3WN
03-06-2014, 08:46 AM
The change to DST made more sense when it was at the end of March...

The various bonehead legislation that moved the DST dates further & further back should be repealed. Won't be, but they should be.

N2NH
03-06-2014, 09:11 AM
I think it was better in early April myself, but this year with all the snow, gloom, doom and cold, I'm not complaining.

kb2vxa
03-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Make that April 1st, appropriate for Congress Fools.

K7SGJ
03-06-2014, 10:02 PM
CQ W7XF DE K7SGJ

Hey Kev, what the hell is all this nonsense about DST. Is this a new disease, or a tool, or what?

XE1/N5AL
03-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Here, DST starts on April 6th - about a month later than in the U.S.

K7SGJ
03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Here, DST starts on April 6th - about a month later than in the U.S.

Huh, I was never aware that DST was observed in Mexico. Who Gnu?

W3WN
03-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Huh, I was never aware that DST was observed in Mexico. Who Gnu?Who's on First.

n2ize
03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
UTC and be done with it.

^^^ yes.

n2ize
03-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Why don't we change the clocks on a daily basis.For half the year move them forward a couple of seconds each day and the other half reverse them a few seconds every day.

XE1/N5AL
03-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Huh, I was never aware that DST was observed in Mexico. Who Gnu?
Mexico oficially adopted DST in 1996, but they still haven't adopted the extensions that Pres. Bush made several years back. DST starts on the first Sunday in April, and ends on the last Sunday in October. Until April 6th, when I call my parents in Atlanta, they will be two hours ahead of me rather than the normal one hour. The same thing happens in late Oct./early Nov., because we leave DST before the U.S. does.

The Mexican towns and states which border the U.S. tend to track the time changes of their U.S. neighbors. Baja California, the state south of California, follows the U.S. extended DST plan. Sonora, like its neighbor to the north: Arizona, doesn't follow DST.

W7XF
03-11-2014, 06:00 AM
CQ W7XF DE K7SGJ

Hey Kev, what the hell is all this nonsense about DST. Is this a new disease, or a tool, or what?

Eddie....it an anomaly that 48 states inflicts on its people to change the time of day twice a year. Arizona joins Hawaii in showing our collective middle fingers to the rest of the US. IIRC, Manitoba shows its middle Molson bottle to Canuckia for the same reason.

N8YX
03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
This time of year is nice because I can ride a motorcycle to work (in between winter storms, such as we're due to get tomorrow) and there's enough daylight to get a few things done around the house once I return for the evening.

Saturday we had temps in the low 40s, overcast and most of the snow has melted...roofs are clear. It dredged up a teenage-years memory, of the first spring I had my DX-160 receiver. Warm and dry enough to erect outside antennas! (Okay, so it was still yucky. Screw it - I need proper aerials...now!)

Some magnet wire, homemade insulators, an old Bud chassis box inside which a homebrew matching and switching network was constructed. Now, to hunt for DX.

That's when the 120 and 90M "tropical bands" still had a lot of users. Anyone remember those?

N8YX
03-11-2014, 07:40 AM
We still have some assorted 5ft snow piles in my employer's parking lot...but...screw it, I'm riding!

W9JEF
03-11-2014, 09:03 AM

CSC, for short--we simply move the month ahead, so instead of March, now it's April.

Think of all the extra warm weather we'll be looking forward to, come November. :)