PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2024—in San Diego?

NQ6U
03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
A group is putting together a bid. I can't imagine this city getting itself together well enough to pull it off but, if they did, this would at least be an ideal location climate-wise.

KG4CGC
03-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Would the people who trained in higher elevations accel, excel do well in San Diego?

NQ6U
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Would the people who trained in higher elevations accel, excel do well in San Diego?

Probably so. It would be like running in pure oxygen for them.

WX7P
03-03-2014, 06:39 PM
This might be how they justify spending money on a new football stadium, although it is far in the future.

Make the Russians stay in El Cajon. Pat can run phone patches for them.

K7SGJ
03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Judging by the information in some of the other threads, won't SD be under water by then?

I guess they can still do water polo and Australian Dick Wrestling.

NQ6U
03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
This might be how they justify spending money on a new football stadium, although it is far in the future.

I don't think it's being done specifically for that reason but it certainly could be one of the results. The exploratory committee says that there will be very little public money invested in this. I personally find that hard to believe but if it's true, then I'm okay with it even though it will make getting around town an even bigger PITA than it already is for two weeks.

Make the Russians stay in El Cajon. Pat can run phone patches for them.

Dah, tovarisch. Russians feel at home on steppes of East County. Can fight mock battles with Chaldeans and Somalians.

N2NH
03-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't think it's being done specifically for that reason but it certainly could be one of the results. The exploratory committee says that there will be very little public money invested in this. I personally find that hard to believe but if it's true, then I'm okay with it even though it will make getting around town an even bigger PITA than it already is for two weeks.

Dah, tovarisch. Russians feel at home on steppes of East County. Can fight mock battles with Chaldeans and Somalians.

The best thing that happened to NYC was not getting the 2012 Olympics. Every time the Olympics are held somewhere, there is a great loss of money building the venues.

The good part is that Volleyball would be coming back home where it more or less started. But I can't even remember the last time I watched the Olympics, so no biggee either way.

N2CHX
03-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Dan and I discussed this after reading a blog post with photos of old Olympic venues in various cities that are long unused and fallen into disrepair. If we're going to keep having Olympic games, the world needs to pick two places (Winter and Summer), make them neutral ground and use them for athlete training and for the games every four years. This craziness of spending billions on stadiums and such that often get used for three freakin' weeks and never used again is such a ridiculous waste.