PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox or Wine?

KJ3N
02-27-2014, 10:10 PM
I might want to experiment with running some Windoze stuff under Linux.

Any opinions on which of the two? Pros and Cons of one over the other?

Should I be looking at something else?

NQ6U
02-27-2014, 11:37 PM
No experience with VirtualBox. Wine, from my experience, is hit-or-miss. Some stuff works great, others poorly or not at all. YMMV.

n6hcm
02-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Virtualbox. If you mess up your WINE installation you only have one to work with. OTOH, you can build a Windows VM under Virtualbox, make a copy of it, and then do stuff which may trash the running virtual machine ... and if it does get trashed, make a new copy and start again.

KC2UGV
02-28-2014, 06:57 AM
WINE if it works. But, Virtualbox as a standby for those pesky things that don't.

N8OBM
02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Wine is an implementation of the windows API. When you run programs with it the program execute using X86 code on the CPU and Wine draws any windows that the program calls for in the same manner that windows would. I don't know off the top of my head if WINE can make any of the windows runtime libraries available. If your program wants dotnet, Visual basic or Visual C runtime libraries you might but out of luck. If your program works in WINE. It will run pretty much as fast as it would under windows.

If you run windows as a VM you are running windows. You will need a full windows license. You are just running windows in it's own little protected sandbox. You will see a loss of performance compared to running it as a dual boot machine or running windows natively. Not a huge difference but, it will be slower. That said what ever program you want to run should work as it IS windows.

Archie

NM5TF
02-28-2014, 10:19 PM
WINE, Virtual Box, VMWare....use them all...each works...just a little differently from each other

depends what you want to do with them.....

YMMV

n2ize
03-01-2014, 12:46 PM
There is also "mono" which allows one to develop and/or run .NET apps under Linux & other platforms.

N1LAF
03-04-2014, 06:38 PM
VMware Player download:
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

Download versions 3 to 6.