PDA

View Full Version : Alinco DX-SR8T

N8GAV
02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Has anyone heard anything good-bad about this rig?

WØTKX
02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Simple, basic, works. A poor mans IC-718?
No CAT or audio I/O setup for digital modes.

NQ6U
02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Simple, basic, works. A poor mans IC-718?
No CAT or audio I/O setup for digital modes.

FWIW, you don't need CAT for digital (although it's very nice to have) and can use the mic and headphone connectors for audio input and output respectively.

Have to admit a certain tendency to root for the underdog when it comes to Alinco even though I don't own any gear that was built by them. Of course, the way I've acquired gear has been pretty haphazard, largely a matter of what was available for the right price at the right time or, as with my IC-746PRO, what just happened to fall into my lap.

WØTKX
02-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Yes. Many/most want CAT control for digital, especially for logging programs. MmmmKay?

That being said, it's a good radio for the money. I really like the big screen.

KC2UGV
02-27-2014, 05:29 PM
The only Alinco I had the pleasure of using was an Alinco D635. I loved using it.

KB3LAZ
02-27-2014, 05:38 PM
FWIW, you don't need CAT for digital and can use the mic and headphone connectors for audio input and output respectively.

Have to admit a certain tendency to root for the underdog when it comes to Alinco even though I don't own any gear that was built by them. Of course, the way I've acquired gear has been pretty haphazard, largely a matter of what was available for the right price at the right time or, as with my IC-746PRO, what just happened to fall into my lap.

Never had an issues with Alinco but I have tried other underdogs before with less than pleasing results. ADI for example, what crap.

The only Alinco I had the pleasure of using was an Alinco D635. I loved using it.

I had both a 605 and 610. Both were good radios and I never had any problems with them. A bit cumbersome to program compared to Icom or Yaesu but easy as pie compared to any of the new Chinese radios. I had an Early Wouxun and it was a REAL pain to program.

KK4AMI
02-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I was happy with my ALINCO DX-70T as a base station and my very first radio, but as a mobile unit I can't get the engine noise out of the receiver (yes, tried everything). I guess ALINCO is kind of looked down on, because after 2 years I learned all the ALINCO jokes.

I hate it, but an all time favorite

FACT ABOUT ALINCO: Rhymes with El-Stinko

NQ6U
02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Yes. Many/most want CAT control for digital, especially for logging programs. MmmmKay?

I agree that it makes things easier, I just didn't want someone who's not familiar with using the digital modes to make a choice on that alone. I probably should go back and italicize "need" on my first post to clear up any confusion.

K7SGJ
02-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I've had a few Alinco rigs over the years, and I have found them to be quite satisfactory. While short on a lot of fancy stuff, they get the job done, and are not a bad bang for the buck.

N8GAV
02-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm thinking of getting one, have a DT-160 hand held and it dose a good job. I don't need anything fancy just a basic rig that will do QRP, and you can go to 2-10-40-100 watts with this rig.