02-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Which linux DE is your fav?

KC2UGV
02-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Rat Poison, or Fluxbox.

NY4Q
02-16-2014, 06:31 PM
What? CDE isn't on the list?!?

Although I did enjoy using CDE in school (HyperVis on a SGI).

I have not tried many desktops on Lunux. I usually only install the server without the desktop, BUT, I do have a machine running at work with KDE, which I like just fine.

KC2UGV
02-16-2014, 06:34 PM

It's hard to get CDE anymore... It's not bundled with most UNIXs now, even Sun Oracle UNIX.

NY4Q
02-16-2014, 06:43 PM
It's hard to get CDE anymore... It's not bundled with most UNIXs now, even Sun Oracle UNIX.

It's out there if you want it -> http://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/

I may try to put it on this week just to see how this works. BETA though. ha

W2NAP
02-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I have not tried many desktops on Lunux. I usually only install the server without the desktop, BUT, I do have a machine running at work with KDE, which I like just fine.

only allows 10 options. chose the most "common"

NY4Q
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
only allows 10 options. chose the most "common"

Ahh, I was making a half-joke. CDE is pretty aged.

W2NAP
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Ahh, I was making a half-joke. CDE is pretty aged.

I know but there was more I wanted to put on. but couldnt.

NY4Q
02-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I know but there was more I wanted to put on. but couldnt.

Something I've always enjoyed is looking at screenshots of the different desktop managers.

N2CHX
02-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Something I've always enjoyed is looking at screenshots of the different desktop managers.

NQ6U
02-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Real Men use the command line.

n2ize
02-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Real Men use the command line.

Thats, right !!

n6hcm
02-17-2014, 06:58 AM
twm.

(you can tell my primary interface to linux boxes is thru the command line ... )

KC2UGV
02-17-2014, 07:19 AM
twm.

(you can tell my primary interface to linux boxes is thru the command line ... )

You should give rat poison a try. It uses the same keybindings as screen, and is just as customizable. It's a keyboard focused window manager.

NY4Q
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Well while we're at it, manly men and womanly women use vi.

NM5TF
02-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon...with 2 conky's...1 for sysmon & 1 for WX...

W2NAP
02-17-2014, 06:05 PM
never messed around with the conky till today.

NM5TF
02-17-2014, 07:00 PM
never messed around with the conky till today.

the more you learn, the more fun it can become...almost addictive even...

n2ize
02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Well while we're at it, manly men and womanly women use vi.

I am mainly an emacs person but I also use vi for quick jobs. I have even been known to use "ed" which is quite powerful.

W2NAP
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
the more you learn, the more fun it can become...almost addictive even...

only hanger for me is sensors. it works but not like I remember.

f71889ed-isa-0a00
Adapter: ISA adapter
+3.3V: +3.30 V
in1: +1.02 V (max = +2.04 V)
in2: +1.02 V
in3: +0.97 V
in4: +0.96 V
in5: +1.09 V
in6: +0.00 V
3VSB: +3.31 V
Vbat: +3.07 V
fan1: 2546 RPM
fan2: 0 RPM ALARM
fan3: 0 RPM ALARM
temp1: +44.0°C (high = +255.0°C, hyst = +251.0°C) ALARM (CRIT)
(crit = +255.0°C, hyst = +251.0°C) sensor = transistor
temp2: +36.0°C (high = +255.0°C, hyst = +251.0°C) ALARM (CRIT)
(crit = +255.0°C, hyst = +251.0°C) sensor = transistor
temp3: FAULT (high = +255.0°C, hyst = +253.0°C)
(crit = +255.0°C, hyst = +253.0°C) sensor = transistor

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +44.0°C (high = +70.0°C)

I seem to recall it being a little more.... simple.. course I have not used the sensors stuff in a long time

N2CHX
02-18-2014, 07:33 AM
I use the CLI quite a bit. Several times a day. I have three computers that don't even have a GUI. But come on. I hear Linux people all the time boasting about how they never use a GUI, that anything other than this editor that's been around since 1965 means you're a n00b, blah blah... All I have to say is, OK... How's riding a horse to work every day working out for you?

n2ize
02-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I use the CLI quite a bit. Several times a day. I have three computers that don't even have a GUI. But come on. I hear Linux people all the time boasting about how they never use a GUI, that anything other than this editor that's been around since 1965 means you're a n00b, blah blah... All I have to say is, OK... How's riding a horse to work every day working out for you?

You will often here that argument from people in my age group who started writing programs back in the day using punched cards. And later on when were were playing round with the PDP-11, DEC20, Vax-11, etc. we started becoming vey proficient with the cli as it was basically all we had. We would use it via the olf DEC teleprinter terminals and later on the monochrome CRT terminals. Today there are some things I can do faster and easier using the cli or direct editing of config files. But now since the GUI config tools have improved greatly and have even been simplified and made easier for newbies and veterans alike I find myself using the GUI more and the CLI less. I highly doubt I'll ever give up on the CLI and direct editing of config files but the GUI tools can and do make life easier at times. As far as edicting goes I am still, and will probably always be very addicted to emacs, vi, ed/red, etc.

NM5TF
02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
ahhh yes...punched cards...takes me back to my daze of learning Fortran IV in College....

later on at Rockwell Int'l using the PDP-11/75 & then moving "up" to VAX systems......

I must be getting old...or something....

N2CHX
02-18-2014, 11:34 AM
ahhh yes...punched cards...takes me back to my daze of learning Fortran IV in College....

later on at Rockwell Int'l using the PDP-11/75 & then moving "up" to VAX systems......

VAX. Now that's a name I haven't heard since my sister was a chemist at Kodak.

NY4Q
02-18-2014, 01:49 PM

YES! I used to support the Dec PDP-11 series. I've rebuild many a RK05 that had head's clamp down on the platters in the old Genrad 1796s. Ahhh, the days. Man, at one time I could enter a diagnostic program via the front panel toggle switches as fast as a cat can lick it's ass. What programs did you support?

I began on HELLFIRE, then moved on to GBU-15, AGM-130, and then left the company while on ERINT (PAC3).

NY4Q
02-18-2014, 01:58 PM
But come on. I hear Linux people all the time boasting about how they never use a GUI, that anything other than this editor that's been around since 1965 means you're a n00b, blah blah... All I have to say is, OK... How's riding a horse to work every day working out for you?

No Linux system I support has a GUI. They are ALL Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS and I ssh into them and do everything I need to, so that horse is kicking just fine.

My desk computer an iMakk running 10.8 - a plum prudie interface. I rarely have to use a text editor on it, but when I do (this sounds like a Dos Equis commercial), it's BBEdit.

To my right is an Ubuntu (Desktop 12.04LTS) that will soon run some WebSDR software and to my left is a Dull laptop (W7) I use to program switches (DB9 connector).

NM5TF
02-18-2014, 02:23 PM
YES! I used to support the Dec PDP-11 series. I've rebuild many a RK05 that had head's clamp down on the platters in the old Genrad 1796s. Ahhh, the days. Man, at one time I could enter a diagnostic program via the front panel toggle switches as fast as a cat can lick it's ass. What programs did you support?

I began on HELLFIRE, then moved on to GBU-15, AGM-130, and then left the company while on ERINT (PAC3).

in early 1970's was supporting some of the Apollo Spacecraft missions...later transferred to Autonetics Division testing
guidance & control systems for Minuteman III ICBM.....then transferred to Microelectronics Division working on 1st IC
production line...used for testing a line of custom ROM's for DoD.....

when I went to work at NRAO/VLA in 1990 they were still using a VAX 7000 to "drive" the array...now it's all done via
PC's over the 'net.....progress of a sorts I guess...

of course the data was being analyzed with a Cray XMP as it took lots of computing power

NQ6U
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Real men* program computers with a patch board.

http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/pictures/univacbord2.jpg

*And women, of course.

NY4Q
02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
in early 1970's was supporting some of the Apollo Spacecraft missions...later transferred to Autonetics Division testing
guidance & control systems for Minuteman III ICBM.....then transferred to Microelectronics Division working on 1st IC
production line...used for testing a line of custom ROM's for DoD.....

when I went to work at NRAO/VLA in 1990 they were still using a VAX 7000 to "drive" the array...now it's all done via
PC's over the 'net.....progress of a sorts I guess...

of course the data was being analyzed with a Cray XMP as it took lots of computing power

Interesting! I applied at NRAO probably about 1998. I got a phone interview or two, but they really wanted someone with a full-up Physics degree and I had not finished college by that time. At least that's what they claimed.

Speaking of CRAY, their stock went up 39% on Tuesday. Donno what they reported, but it's calming back down some today.

NM5TF
02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Interesting! I applied at NRAO probably about 1998. I got a phone interview or two, but they really wanted someone with a full-up Physics degree and I had not finished college by that time. At least that's what they claimed.

assume that was at Green Bank ???

oh yeah.....they want degrees for most ANY job there other than basic labor...

maybe because the operating "company" is Associated Universities,Inc.....of course they
never wanted to pay comparable wages either....

last I heard is the VLA is coming to the end of it's life as most scientists are interested in
higher & higher frequencies...the VLA is limited to around 48 GHz by the physical size of
the 25 meter dishes....

most of NRAO's money is going to the ALMA project in the Atacama desert of Northern
Chile now....little 12 meter dishes operating at over 16000 feet elevation....

NY4Q
02-18-2014, 03:06 PM
assume that was at Green Bank ???

Nope, Socorro.

last I heard is the VLA is coming to the end of it's life as most scientists are interested in
higher & higher frequencies...the VLA is limited to around 48 GHz by the physical size of
the 25 meter dishes....

I didn't know that, but it does make sense. Technology moves on, as it should.

NM5TF
02-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Nope, Socorro.

I didn't know that, but it does make sense. Technology moves on, as it should.
[/COLOR]

what job were you applying for ??

n6hcm
02-19-2014, 03:00 AM
I am mainly an emacs person but I also use vi for quick jobs. I have even been known to use "ed" which is quite powerful.

exactly! the right tool for the right job. i don't spend lots of time editing files so vi is the right thing most of the time ... but if i'm doing something more complex (something that would benefit from a programmatic approach) then emacs is where i go. haven't had to do this in a while, so my elisp is a bit rusty.

NY4Q
02-19-2014, 08:25 AM
what job were you applying for ??

I don't remember, but it was probably something to do with engineering support. At that time, I was working in the Metrology Lab at Rockwell Int.