PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Baseball Season Begins Tomorrow

N2NH
02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Yep, Catchers and Pitchers report. First game in about a week and a half. Thinking of rooting for the Dodgers this year. Technically I'm out of the Yankees sphere of influence. I'm more than a little sick of how they only make token trades to appease the fan base rather than to actually fill in their needs. Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.

NQ6U
02-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.

No DH, i.e. it's real baseball.

I'm still a Padres fan, although I could not explain why. It's certainly not the the expensive new(ish) ballpark, which is why I can no longer afford to attend games. When they were still playing at Jack Murphy Stadium, the best seats in the house cost $35. Now, that much will barely get you a spot in the bleachers.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/02/petco_park.jpg

K7SGJ
02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
No DH, i.e. it's real baseball.

I'm still a Padres fan, although I could not explain why. It's certainly not the the expensive new(ish) ballpark, which is why I can no longer afford to attend games. When they were still playing at Jack Murphy Stadium, the best seats in the house cost $35. Now, that much will barely get you a spot in the bleachers.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/02/petco_park.jpg

That's the way it is here, too. Used to be, you could catch a game, have a dog and beer, maybe even some peanuts and not be out much. For the same price to do that today, you can just about do a two week cruise in the Caribbean.

W3WN
02-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Yep, Catchers and Pitchers report. First game in about a week and a half. Thinking of rooting for the Dodgers this year. Technically I'm out of the Yankees sphere of influence. I'm more than a little sick of how they only make token trades to appease the fan base rather than to actually fill in their needs. Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.Catchers & Pitchers for the Pirates reported on Wednesday and started practicing yesterday.

Without AJ Burnett. I don't wish the man ill, but I think he may regret signing with the Phillies. If he thought the fans in the Bronx were brutal... but, anyway, it's done and over with.

Anyway, when they showed Gerrit Cole throwing on the mound during the 11 PM news last night, you should have seen the smile on Little Miss Field Day's face.

N2NH
02-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Well the Yanks got themselves a "super" Japanese league pitcher. Texiera is back and Jeter's hanging up the spikes. I think some of that is to take the A-Rod situation out of the picture.

I'll take a wait and see attitude. I'm a hairs-breath from jumping to the Dodgers or Angels right now. I have just as much of a chance of catching a game at Chavez Ravine as I am at the Bronx Zoo.

NQ6U
03-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Only one more day until the Padres' first game loss of the season.

W3WN
03-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Only one more day until the Padres' first game loss of the season.That's what I like.

Optimism.

Or in this case... realism.

AA8KT
03-29-2014, 01:43 PM
The Cincinnati Pinkies (ok the Reds, but they play like they wear lace on their shorts) open on Mon. The good thing is that the owners no longer is a drunk Nazi by the name of Marge Schott.

N2NH
03-29-2014, 07:43 PM
The Dodgers are in First and have a one game lead. BTW, their home opener tomorrow is at San Diego.

NQ6U
03-29-2014, 07:48 PM
The Dodgers are in First and have a one game lead. BTW, their home opener tomorrow is at San Diego.

How can a Dodgers game be the home opener if it's in San Diego? Petco Park is 100+ miles from Chavez Ravine.

N2NH
03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
How can a Dodgers game be the home opener if it's in San Diego? Petco Park is 100+ miles from Chavez Ravine.

That is definitely wrong. They open the season at San Diego. The Padres ever going to bring back those brown uniforms?

NQ6U
03-29-2014, 10:15 PM
That is definitely wrong. They open the season at San Diego.

Yeah, I know, I live there and for some unfathomable reason am a Padres fan. My point was that it's the Padres home opener, not the Dodgers'.

The Padres ever going to bring back those brown uniforms?

They actually do wear them a few times every season. It's a so-bad-they're-good kind of thing.

N2NH
03-29-2014, 11:11 PM
They actually do wear them a few times every season. It's a so-bad-they're-good kind of thing.

I remember them playing in their road Browns back in their first year 1969. They were at Shea Stadium going against the Mets and you couldn't miss all that brown. Not a bad look. The Brown and Orange was the best IMHO.

N2NH
03-31-2014, 03:13 AM
Catchers & Pitchers for the Pirates reported on Wednesday and started practicing yesterday.

Without AJ Burnett. I don't wish the man ill, but I think he may regret signing with the Phillies. If he thought the fans in the Bronx were brutal... but, anyway, it's done and over with.

Anyway, when they showed Gerrit Cole throwing on the mound during the 11 PM news last night, you should have seen the smile on Little Miss Field Day's face.

The Yankees have had not one but 4 deadweight pitchers on their staff since 2007. Pavano was the worst, but AJ Burnett, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamerlain weren't slouches either. Joba averaged 5 wins per season for the time he was with the Yanks. I doubt if Pavano even did that well. This is part of my reason to root for the Dodgers this year.

Only one more day until the Padres' first game loss of the season.

Not so fast there popey dude. You must've had the right mojo as the Padres came back... Average wise they are 1.000 and the Dodgers are now .667.

W3WN
03-31-2014, 07:20 AM
How can a Dodgers game be the home opener if it's in San Diego? Petco Park is 100+ miles from Chavez Ravine.I think he meant season opener, domestic; not home.

Forgive him, he knows not what he says. After all, he roots for the Phillies.

W3WN
03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
The Yankees have had not one but 4 deadweight pitchers on their staff since 2007. Pavano was the worst, but AJ Burnett, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamerlain weren't slouches either. Joba averaged 5 wins per season for the time he was with the Yanks. I doubt if Pavano even did that well. This is part of my reason to root for the Dodgers this year.
< snip >AJ Burnett turned his career around after being traded to the Pirates.

As I recall, he was pretty happy to escape from the pressure of the Bronx in particular and the NYC fans in general.

Which is why I wonder how well he'll do in Philly. The fans there are more brutal and unforgiving than those of the Bronx. (Why else would Citizens Bank Park have something that Yankee Stadium has never had... a courtroom and a jail)

W3WN
03-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!

Bucs win 1 - 0 in 10 innings. Native son Neil Walker hits a walk-off HR to win the game.

And that wasn't even the best part.

First, it turned out that two of Little Miss Field Day's teachers from Middle School were sitting behind us, so when she finally got to her seat, they razzed her.

Second... well, LMFD tends to spend the beginning of the game back at the home bullpen, talking to the players. So, as usual, she's down there talking to her friends -- one of the coaches even tossed her a baseball, like she needs another one -- when Camera Guy 1 comes over. Next thing the boss & I know, during the inning break, there's LMFD & some other pretty teenage girls waving at the camera, smiling, and so forth -- no, I didn't get a picture, it happened too quickly.

But wait! There's more!

Inning break between 4th & 5th innings, they usually run the "Baseball Quiz" trivia game. Now, it's been rename "Science of Baseball Quiz." Guess who was... dare I say it?... on first, that is to say, the very first contestant for the new SOBQ?

Of COURSE she forgot to tell us, so I have a couple of pictures off the scoreboard, but I do have them (I'll download from the camera later tonight)

And -- SHE GUESSED RIGHT! Got a $200 official Pirates jacket.

So, as per the game, she's asked (paging Monty Hall!) if she wants to keep the jacket or trade it in... on the Box of Mystery?

Most people trade. (They usually guess wrong & get the consolation prize of a Pirates baseball cap). More often than not, it's a gag prize; but odds are that on Opening Day, it's something good. And LMFD knows this.

She keeps the jacket.

Some moron in the row behind us starts yelling "No! You stupid idiot! You ALWAYS pick the box!" and similar epithets. Before I could say anything... mainly because the boss is telling me to ignore him, not to walk over and punch him in the nose, and believe me, he was obnoxious, rude, and nasty... Jessie's former teacher (did I mention she was the Phys Ed teacher, and a former active duty Marine now in the reserves?) stands up, and yells "Hey! That girl's father is sitting RIGHT HERE (pointing at me), her mother is sitting RIGHT THERE (points at the boss) and she is MY STUDENT. SO SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!"

He turned red, sat down, and shut up.

Oh, the contents of The Box of Mystery: An autographed baseball, an autographed bat, an autographed picture, and an autographed jersey (the picture was of the Manager, the rest various players). What you have to realize: LMFD already HAS autographed items from all of the players & the manager, and not one but two bats full of autographs. So there was NOTHING there she didn't already have. (The Boss, though, would have gladly taken the jersey).

So... Joe (the game show host) asks LMFD if she wants to change her mind, and she politely says "Thanks, but no. I have enough autographs!"

She wore that jacket home. I don't think she's taken it off yet...

koØm
03-31-2014, 06:14 PM
And the Cincinnati Reds lose to the St. Louis Cardinals.........AGAIN!

NQ6U
03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Not so fast there popey dude. You must've had the right mojo as the Padres came back... Average wise they are 1.000 and the Dodgers are now .667.

Yeah, surprised the crap outta me. The Padres played a nice game of Small Ball in the bottom of the eighth inning. Maybe this is indicative of something; maybe they'll end the season above .500 for a change...

Nah.

N2NH
03-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!

Bucs win 1 - 0 in 10 innings. Native son Neil Walker hits a walk-off HR to win the game.

And that wasn't even the best part.

First, it turned out that two of Little Miss Field Day's teachers from Middle School were sitting behind us, so when she finally got to her seat, they razzed her.

Second... well, LMFD tends to spend the beginning of the game back at the home bullpen, talking to the players. So, as usual, she's down there talking to her friends -- one of the coaches even tossed her a baseball, like she needs another one -- when Camera Guy 1 comes over. Next thing the boss & I know, during the inning break, there's LMFD & some other pretty teenage girls waving at the camera, smiling, and so forth -- no, I didn't get a picture, it happened too quickly.

But wait! There's more!

Inning break between 4th & 5th innings, they usually run the "Baseball Quiz" trivia game. Now, it's been rename "Science of Baseball Quiz." Guess who was... dare I say it?... on first, that is to say, the very first contestant for the new SOBQ?

Of COURSE she forgot to tell us, so I have a couple of pictures off the scoreboard, but I do have them (I'll download from the camera later tonight)

And -- SHE GUESSED RIGHT! Got a $200 official Pirates jacket.

So, as per the game, she's asked (paging Monty Hall!) if she wants to keep the jacket or trade it in... on the Box of Mystery?

Most people trade. (They usually guess wrong & get the consolation prize of a Pirates baseball cap). More often than not, it's a gag prize; but odds are that on Opening Day, it's something good. And LMFD knows this.

She keeps the jacket.

Some moron in the row behind us starts yelling "No! You stupid idiot! You ALWAYS pick the box!" and similar epithets. Before I could say anything... mainly because the boss is telling me to ignore him, not to walk over and punch him in the nose, and believe me, he was obnoxious, rude, and nasty... Jessie's former teacher (did I mention she was the Phys Ed teacher, and a former active duty Marine now in the reserves?) stands up, and yells "Hey! That girl's father is sitting RIGHT HERE (pointing at me), her mother is sitting RIGHT THERE (points at the boss) and she is MY STUDENT. SO SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!"

He turned red, sat down, and shut up.

Oh, the contents of The Box of Mystery: An autographed baseball, an autographed bat, an autographed picture, and an autographed jersey (the picture was of the Manager, the rest various players). What you have to realize: LMFD already HAS autographed items from all of the players & the manager, and not one but two bats full of autographs. So there was NOTHING there she didn't already have. (The Boss, though, would have gladly taken the jersey).

So... Joe (the game show host) asks LMFD if she wants to change her mind, and she politely says "Thanks, but no. I have enough autographs!"

She wore that jacket home. I don't think she's taken it off yet...

Sounds like the best Home Opener I ever heard. Wow any official Major League jacket is kewl. Congratulations on a win-win-win day.

Metsies found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. With 2 out in the top of the ninth, Mets ahead by a run, they still managed to lose to the Nationals. At home.

Yanks play at Astros in their opener tomorrow. See how the Padres and Dodgers do too.

N8GAV
03-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Great ball game! Watched it on TV Ron.

W3WN
03-31-2014, 07:55 PM
Sounds like the best Home Opener I ever heard. Wow any official Major League jacket is kewl. Congratulations on a win-win-win day.

Metsies found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. With 2 out in the top of the ninth, Mets ahead by a run, they still managed to lose to the Nationals. At home.

Yanks play at Astros in their opener tomorrow. See how the Padres and Dodgers do too.Yes, we heard. Buddy was very happy about that outcome.
(What else would you expect? After all, he works for the Nats)

W3WN
03-31-2014, 07:59 PM
OK, switched browsers here... IE 11 is starting to give me fits on selected sites, so let's see how this does with Chrome...

As promised:

LMFD as seen on the scoreboard during Baseball Quiz:
Sorry the quality isn't better, but I'm using a digital zoom to take a picture of a scoreboard, it's always a bit hinky.

And here she is with the two Middle School teachers. The lady hugging her is the Marine I was talking about:

W3WN
03-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Oh geez, I almost forgot...

It is now time for the 2014 Telling of the Jack Bogut Memorial Joke:

Why will the Pirates be able to sell beer at PNC Park this season?

Because... THEY DIDN'T LOSE THE OPENER.

NA4BH
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
So what was the answer? A, B, C, or D?

wa6mhz
04-01-2014, 02:27 PM
PADRES ARE IN FIRST PLACE!!!! Cuz they beat the DODGERS!!!! Will see how long that lasts!!!

NQ6U
04-01-2014, 02:31 PM
PADRES ARE IN FIRST PLACE!!!! Cuz they beat the DODGERS!!!! Will see how long that lasts!!!

Probably until the end of today's game, Pat.

W3WN
04-01-2014, 10:09 PM
So what was the answer? A, B, C, or D?
C

Usually is, incidentally.

N2NH
04-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Sabathia looks like he's done. A supposed ace losing badly to the worst team in baseball? For his efforts his ERA is now 9.00. Methinks the Yanks aren't going to be in the playoffs this year either.

NQ6U
04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Probably until the end of today's game, Pat.

I was right. The Padres lost to the Dodgers 3-2 last night and are now in second place in the NL West.

N2NH
04-03-2014, 05:28 AM
I was right. The Padres lost to the Dodgers 3-2 last night and are now in second place in the NL West.

The Yankees are in last. 0-2 vs. the Houston Astros, the worst team in MLB (2013). New York Baseball teams are 0-4. At least the Mets have an excuse in playing the Nationals. Only the LA Angels are worse than the Yankees right now.

W3WN
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Had a short rain delay last night, about an hour. A very short but intense burst of rain in the midst of it, followed by... well, see for yourselves...

Little Miss Field Day was (as usual) standing out behind the bullpen, she told us there was a second rainbow a little further up river that we couldn't see.

N2NH
04-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Last year, the Houston Astros were the worst team in Baseball (which is why the AL got them from the NL). As of right now, the following teams have worse records than the Houston Astros.

Astros 3-3

AL
Blue Jays 3-4
Red Sox 2-4
Orioles 2-4
Royals 2-3
Angels 2-4

NL
Mets 2-4
Reds 2-4
Cubs 2-4
Rockies 3-4
Padres 2-4
Diamondbacks 2-4

Yeah, it's early and past performance isn't necessarily indicative of future results, but still, if they were ball players they'd be under the Mendoza Line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line).

NQ6U
04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Rockies 3-4
Padres 2-4
Diamondbacks 2-4

As usual, the Padres are in a heated battle for last place in the NL West.

N2NH
04-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Did the Phillies postpone todays game because of rain? On Sunday?!? (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/24516801/phillies-home-opener-mon-against-brewers-postponed) Or is it more likely because the Nats are on a hot streak?

Seems pre-emptive to postpone the Home Opener over 24 hours before it is schedules because of a weather forecast.

W3WN
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Last year, the Houston Astros were the worst team in Baseball (which is why the AL got them from the NL). < snip >Oh?

I thought it was because Bud Selig wanted balanced divisions, even though this meant permanent inter-league play for the entire season. And the Astros were picked because (a) they wanted the 'natural' rivalry with the Texas ("don't call us Senators!") Rangers to develop, and (b) since the team was for sale, he could make the change in league's a condition of the sale without the new ownership being able to put up much of a fuss.

...and I have to admit, I'm enough of a traditionalist that I've never cared for non-exhibition & non-World Series inter-league play. It was one of the unique aspects of MLB. Unlike the other three top-level professional sports leagues, MLB was the only one that had two Leagues, not two Divisions or Conferences, and teams in neither League met until the final championship. But what do I know, anyway?

NQ6U
04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
...and I have to admit, I'm enough of a traditionalist that I've never cared for non-exhibition & non-World Series inter-league play. It was one of the unique aspects of MLB. Unlike the other three top-level professional sports leagues, MLB was the only one that had two Leagues, not two Divisions or Conferences, and teams in neither League met until the final championship. But what do I know, anyway?

It's not at the same level of abomination as the DH but, yeah, I agree—no inter-league play.

K0RGR
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
We're planning to go see the Twinkies when our son comes to town. At the torrid pace they're on now, they should be about 30 games out of first place by then, so the ballpark will be about empty. Looks like they will be playing either the Brew Crew or the 'Stros.

N2NH
04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
...And the Astros were picked because (a) they wanted the 'natural' rivalry with the Texas ("don't call us Senators!") Rangers to develop, and

I'd think that inter-league play shoots down that 'reason'. I like inter-league play. Mets vs. Yanks, Dodgers vs. Angels, White Sox vs. Cubs, A's vs Giants, Astros vs. Rangers... oh, right.

(b) since the team was for sale, he could make the change in league's a condition of the sale without the new ownership being able to put up much of a fuss.

The Diamondbacks sort of put a crimp in that 'reason'. They were supposed to be an American League team. You know, one mountain team for the NL (Rockies), one for the AL (DBacks), but the new owner wanted his team in the NL and that's what precipitated all this jumping around. If you want to talk tradition, the Brewers should still be in the AL and the Astros should still be in the NL. Seeing not one but two Texas teams in one league is a bit much. Sort of like having two George W. Bush's in one White House. One was too much.

Same here.

W3WN
04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
< snip >
The Diamondbacks sort of put a crimp in that 'reason'. They were supposed to be an American League team. You know, one mountain team for the NL (Rockies), one for the AL (DBacks), but the new owner wanted his team in the NL and that's what precipitated all this jumping around. If you want to talk tradition, the Brewers should still be in the AL and the Astros should still be in the NL. Seeing not one but two Texas teams in one league is a bit much. Sort of like having two George W. Bush's in one White House. One was too much.

Same here.I know about the Diamondbacks... and yes, they should have been in the AL in the first place.

Nor should the Brewers have moved to the NL. (Heck, they should never have left Seattle in the first place, but that's another story)

But that's part of the core issue. The "identity", if you will, of each of the two Leagues has been diluted. There's no longer a President of each League... those offices are gone, as all of the power was consolidated at MLB HQ. Really, about the only difference between the AL & NL today is that one plays traditional baseball, one has that DH abomination. And the day is not far off when even that one small difference gets eliminated.

The last time the two Leagues had realignment, outside of the Brewers going to the NL, was simply shuffling around the teams in each League to go from two divisions to three. The previous one was dividing each League into two divisions, following expansion. But the next one? You're going to see more teams shuffled around from each League; the NL & AL will only be names (akin to the NFL Conferences... who remembers when the NFC was the bulk of the original NFL, and the AFC was the remains of the original AFL plus a couple of original NFL teams to balance the two?), convenient labels for purposes of the post season placements.

Is that a bad thing? Well, maybe not, I'll grant you that. But it's another element in the pasteurizing of the sport. As I said before, I'm enough of a traditionalist as to not like it.