PDA

View Full Version : DX Cluster

W3WN
02-13-2014, 10:04 AM
OK, simple question for all the Linux Gurus out there...

What, if anything, are you using to monitor the DX Cluster network? Is it an app, or is it something online?

On the shack PC, I usually monitor the cluster via the VE7CC app, which is a very nice package. But it's a Windows only app at present.

What I'd like to do, as part of the upcoming shack remodel/rebuild, is set up an older monitor with the Raspberry Pi, and (when it's not being used for other things), use this as the cluster monitor. If nothing else, it will certainly consume a lot less power than the Compaq D300V!

I know that there are a few websites out there that provide cluster info, but a lot of them are cluttered with extraneous things... or don't give me any options on filtering spots. While I don't expect a clone of VE7CC, having some more control over what's displayed would be nice.

ad4mg
02-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Ron, I simply use the telnet command from the command prompt. I have, on occasion, connected to W3LPL via telnet in a terminal window thusly:

telnet w3lpl.net

I use the cluster node's filters. When in the shack, I log in to w4ml's node. A good listing of dx packet cluster nodes can be found here:

http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/cluster.html

All pretty basic, but works very well!

KJ3N
02-13-2014, 03:49 PM
I just use DX Watch, which is browser-based. Never have to worry about what OS I'm running.

W3WN
02-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Ron, I simply use the telnet command from the command prompt. I have, on occasion, connected to W3LPL via telnet in a terminal window thusly:

telnet w3lpl.net

I use the cluster node's filters. When in the shack, I log in to w4ml's node. A good listing of dx packet cluster nodes can be found here:

http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/cluster.html

All pretty basic, but works very well!Considering that I'm just beginning to learn Linux, well, I know how to get to a command prompt, but I've never used telnet on that box. I'll look into these, though.

With all due respect to W3LPL, I'd prefer not to use his system. Frankly, I have Frank's spots filtered out on the PC at present; he has a system set up to funnel RBN input from remote receivers around the world onto the cluster, and I got a little tired of too many "false positives" that I can never hear.

When I asked him (via email) about this a few years back... never got a response back. But I know of people who got less than pleasant replies, so let's just say that I'd prefer not to open that particular can.

W3WN
02-13-2014, 10:50 PM
I just use DX Watch, which is browser-based. Never have to worry about what OS I'm running.Hmmm. That may work. Looks interesting.

Thanks.

NY4Q
02-14-2014, 06:29 AM
I just use DX Watch, which is browser-based. Never have to worry about what OS I'm running.

Same here. And when I'm on digital, I use hamspots.net - good stuff.

W3WN
02-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Funny thing about DX Watch... I couldn't create an account from the Pi. For some odd reason, the machine wasn't letting me type an "@" in the email address. No real problem, though, I just created the account from another machine & then logged in.

Also, it doesn't automatically kick in the selected filters. Shows me what my last filter settings were, but won't implement them. That can be annoying.

Nor do I see a way to discard the W3LPL spots.

But this will do for now. No, it won't. The filters aren't working. Maybe they work fine on other flavors of Linux, but not on the Pi.

KC2UGV
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Funny thing about DX Watch... I couldn't create an account from the Pi. For some odd reason, the machine wasn't letting me type an "@" in the email address. No real problem, though, I just created the account from another machine & then logged in.

Also, it doesn't automatically kick in the selected filters. Shows me what my last filter settings were, but won't implement them. That can be annoying.

Nor do I see a way to discard the W3LPL spots.

But this will do for now. No, it won't. The filters aren't working. Maybe they work fine on other flavors of Linux, but not on the Pi.

You need to configure the keyboard for the Pi.

sudo raspi-config

Under "Localization", then "Keyboard Layout". It's set to UK by default, instead of US.

W3WN
02-14-2014, 09:42 AM
You need to configure the keyboard for the Pi.

sudo raspi-config

Under "Localization", then "Keyboard Layout". It's set to UK by default, instead of US.That explains the keyboard. Should have thought of that, it simply hadn't come up before.

Thanks, I will do that.

Any idea on why it's not taking my settings?

KC2UGV
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
That explains the keyboard. Should have thought of that, it simply hadn't come up before.

Thanks, I will do that.

Any idea on why it's not taking my settings?

Ya got me on that one. I don't use DX spotting much at all, and when I do, I just telnet in or via packet.

W3WN
02-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Ya got me on that one. I don't use DX spotting much at all, and when I do, I just telnet in or via packet.It might a browser issue. I've been using the Midori browser that came with the Pi. I should try something else before I give up entirely.

But just for schntiz & giggles, I just tried DX watch on my VM (Vista, IE 9). No problem logging in, setting the filter, and the filter works almost perfectly. (I still see the W3LPL spots, but I'll learn to live with them, I guess.). Maybe, now that the filter was created, the Pi's browser will pick it up... nope

NM5TF
02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
have you checked out HamCall DX spots yet ???

you set up filters for any mode/band combo you desire

go here:

http://hamcall.net/dxspots?includeCW=on&includePhone=on&spotterSpottedEither=Spotter&spotDistance=50&spotstosend=25&refreshrate=0&FREQCHECK=2&FREQCHECK=4&FREQCHECK=6&FREQCHECK=8&FREQCHECK=10

tommy

W3WN
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
have you checked out HamCall DX spots yet ???

you set up filters for any mode/band combo you desire

go here:

http://hamcall.net/dxspots?includeCW=on&includePhone=on&spotterSpottedEither=Spotter&spotDistance=50&spotstosend=25&refreshrate=0&FREQCHECK=2&FREQCHECK=4&FREQCHECK=6&FREQCHECK=8&FREQCHECK=10

tommyHmmm. I thought that sounded familiar... Buckmaster. I got suckered into buying their CD once, never again. Totally useless for what I wanted to do.

The filter I need is to limit spots to those from North America. That's the one option I don't see available there. There is a "Location Filter" that you can set for spotters within a certain distance from your QTH -- IF you are a Buckmaster Customer, otherwise, it doesn't work. To say nothing of all the screen clutter, but that's to be expected on a "free" service.

Thanks, but this one isn't going to work out either.