PDA

View Full Version : Snow on the antenna(s)

NY4Q
02-13-2014, 07:52 AM
In the foreground, the 160m horizontal loop, in the background and from top to bottom, the 40m vertical loop, and within it, the 17m vertical loop (fed for horizontal polarization via open wire).

http://168.8.96.100/~pheaton/snow-antenna.JPG

PA5COR
02-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Come over to our side of the pond, we only have temps above 0 C and storms of 108 M/PH..... and rain, lots of it..

K7SGJ
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
It was so warm here yesterday, my antennas suffered from spontaneous combustion.

KK4AMI
02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
My antennas are covered up with 12 inches of snow. Does the snow on the wire increase bandwidth?

KK4AMI
02-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Come over to our side of the pond, we only have temps above 0 C and storms of 108 M/PH..... and rain, lots of it..

Speaking of Dutch Speed Skaters, good grief COR! With all the medals you guys are winning, I'm betting everybody in the Netherlands is out there speed skating and cutting all your antenna radials to ribbons :)

PA5COR
02-13-2014, 09:10 AM
They better not, normally every winter we have a few weeks people can skate on the natural waters, lakes, canals, and streams here.
We have lots if skating rings here with artificial ice for speed skating etc, but nothing beats natural ice.
Sorry to say this year saw only temps above 0 with 2 yes, 2 nights the temps did drop a few hours below 0 C.....
Yesterday we had storm 20 or so since end November, Saturday will see no 21.
Getting boring weather here, a prolonged autumn... let spring come quick please...

NY4Q
02-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Well I'll tell ya, NAH!

W9JEF
02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
never mind :)

W3WN
02-13-2014, 01:46 PM
In the foreground, the 160m horizontal loop, in the background and from top to bottom, the 40m vertical loop, and within it, the 17m vertical loop (fed for horizontal polarization via open wire).

http://168.8.96.100/~pheaton/snow-antenna.JPGIt is a pretty picture, at least. You should use it on a QSL card.

At least get some good out of the situation.

John NQ4I was keeping people up to date on his situation. He was concerned with the ice storm taking down his antennas, and this the weekend before a major contest. Weather has definitely put a crimp into his multi-op team's efforts, that's for sure.

NY4Q
02-13-2014, 01:55 PM
It is a pretty picture, at least. You should use it on a QSL card.

At least get some good out of the situation.

A darn good idea. I need an updated card anyway.

I work for a school system, so we've been off and I've enjoyed it. Yesterday and today, I've built my Softrock Emsemble RX II kit, tested it out, and now I'm putting it in an enclosure and drankin a cole baar.

I expect we twelve-monthers will get to go in tomorrow (Friday).

W3WN
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Had a very minor moment of concern this morning.

KB3ERQ got a phone call from the Church were we hold our meetings. They decided to close the building for the rest of the day, out of an abundance of caution and to avoid any potential liability. Also because the snow plow was due any moment, but wouldn't be back until tomorrow.

So no meeting tonight. Great, just what we need, 10 days before our hamfest.

We got the meeting shifted to a nearby restaurant that has a meeting room. I'll just make a point of coming in early and having dinner, since they're not charging us for the use of the room; they make a very good steak salad.

Ben & I, along with the club prez, spent a little time sending out emails and making some phone calls, so everyone knows or should know by now.

Oh, the "terrible weather conditions" cited? Since 6 AM, our snowfall has been... ready for this... a whopping 3/4 of an inch. Methinks someone at the church has panicked. (It does have a 1/3 mile long driveway that goes up at a decent angle, so there is reason for concern... but... really?)

One small thing that we had to clear with the restaurant, though. The "activity" tonight was a discussion of various open source projects to work on as a group, Arduino for one, and a certain very small Linux-based computer that's been discussed on a different Island forum. So, the head of the Activities Committee had arranged with a local bakery for a very special dessert, so we had to get permission to bring it in. Wasn't a problem, since right now, this would be considered an out-of-season flavor.

What is it? You've probably guessed it by now, especially if you love puns:

Raspberry Pie.

NY4Q
02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Raspberry Pie.

Good one.

n2ize
02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Friend of mine from way up north is coming down this way. She is looking forward to enjoying the warm weather we are having here in the Northeast USA.

K7SGJ
02-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Had a very minor moment of concern this morning.

KB3ERQ got a phone call from the Church were we hold our meetings. They decided to close the building for the rest of the day, out of an abundance of caution and to avoid any potential liability. Also because the snow plow was due any moment, but wouldn't be back until tomorrow.

So no meeting tonight. Great, just what we need, 10 days before our hamfest.

We got the meeting shifted to a nearby restaurant that has a meeting room. I'll just make a point of coming in early and having dinner, since they're not charging us for the use of the room; they make a very good steak salad.

Ben & I, along with the club prez, spent a little time sending out emails and making some phone calls, so everyone knows or should know by now.

Oh, the "terrible weather conditions" cited? Since 6 AM, our snowfall has been... ready for this... a whopping 3/4 of an inch. Methinks someone at the church has panicked. (It does have a 1/3 mile long driveway that goes up at a decent angle, so there is reason for concern... but... really?)

One small thing that we had to clear with the restaurant, though. The "activity" tonight was a discussion of various open source projects to work on as a group, Arduino for one, and a certain very small Linux-based computer that's been discussed on a different Island forum. So, the head of the Activities Committee had arranged with a local bakery for a very special dessert, so we had to get permission to bring it in. Wasn't a problem, since right now, this would be considered an out-of-season flavor.

Raspberry Pie.

BAh, you'll NEVER see us doing puns around here. We aren't that half baked.

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 02:09 AM
You should come to New Jersey on Pi Day, March 14, Albert Einstein's birthday. It's celebrated with pi pie and now we have one more, Raspberry Pi pie. Careful of the custard, there may be a wiseguy around.

W3WN
02-14-2014, 08:18 AM
You should come to New Jersey on Pi Day, March 14, Albert Einstein's birthday. It's celebrated with pi pie and now we have one more, Raspberry Pi pie. Careful of the custard, there may be a wiseguy around.Oh? I thought it was Soupy Sale's birthday...

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 11:18 AM
You missed it, January 8. Soupy was just WAY COOL. I watched him and later Uncle Floyd, local Jersey talent every chance I got.

K7SGJ
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
We had Wallace and Ladmo here.

I wonder if there are even any kid shows with creative talent around anymore? Probably not, just computers, X-boxes, and the like.

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Haven't seen any, what's left is totally brainless primers for raising totally brainless kids sent to a totally brainless education system. Cartoons go from nonsense to extreme violence with nothing in between. These days kids are best home schooled in a home without television or video games but there's only one problem, they'd get their fill of TV and video games at their friends houses.

What I liked best about Soupy and Floyd was they were both unscripted with only a program outline to go by. Much was spontaneous, quick witted and ad-libbed, one thing led to another and often spun hilariously out of control. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgXbSUMzR4

K7SGJ
02-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Haven't seen any, what's left is totally brainless primers for raising totally brainless kids sent to a totally brainless education system. Cartoons go from nonsense to extreme violence with nothing in between. These days kids are best home schooled in a home without television or video games but there's only one problem, they'd get their fill of TV and video games at their friends houses.

What I liked best about Soupy and Floyd was they were both unscripted with only a program outline to go by. Much was spontaneous, quick witted and ad-libbed, one thing led to another and often spun hilariously out of control. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgXbSUMzR4

That was true of Wallace and Ladmo, too. Although it was a kids show that had cartoons, daily winners of kid stuff, and things like that, there was a lot that was geared to the adults as well. They were funny as hell, and very creative, much like Soupy and others of that era. An era lost to time and big business advertising.

WØTKX
02-14-2014, 08:07 PM
And then, there were shows in Minnesota. :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/ISEIQLOSkos

http://youtu.be/ISEIQLOSkos

K7SGJ
02-14-2014, 08:21 PM
They had TV in Minnesota in the 50s? Who Gnu?

NA4BH
02-14-2014, 09:23 PM
They had TV in Minnesota in the 50s? Who Gnu?

The horse you rode in on, did.

kb2vxa
02-15-2014, 01:52 AM
The horse gnu, and Logie Baird too!