PDA

View Full Version : Monitor "Out of Range"

HUGH
02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I put a new Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard in a small PC case using a 14inch monitor. Installing XP Pro SP2 from the original CD it gets so far past the first reboot, then the video output must go to a strange default because the monitor goes black then puts up a little logo informing me it's "out of Range". There's no way to preset fixed video definition and I don't want a larger monitor because this is a very small backup machine tucked away in a discreet corner.

I never had this trouble before because the startup resolution without correct video drivers has always ended up with a very low, but workable, resolution.

W3WN
02-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Do you have another monitor, with more options in terms of resolution, that you can use to configure the machine? (And then, once the video is set, switch monitors)

Failing that... I presume the video is on the motherfboard. It might require a special driver. If you have another video card laying around, try using that one (you may have to disable the motherfboard via bios, again, temporarily) and see if it works.

KC2UGV
02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
For the install, I would drag a bigger (Well, newer really) monitor over to get it to the point where you can install video drivers. Win XP outputs at first boot at 800x600 @60Hz. Any relatively new monitor can handle that.

Alternatively, temp install a PCIe video card in the machine, and set it as the default output. Then use that to finish the config.

HUGH
02-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Do you have another monitor, with more options in terms of resolution, that you can use to configure the machine? (And then, once the video is set, switch monitors)

Failing that... I presume the video is on the motherfboard. It might require a special driver. If you have another video card laying around, try using that one (you may have to disable the motherfboard via bios, again, temporarily) and see if it works.

Yes, that's the plan, it just seemed unusual. Thanks, Hugh.

W3WN
02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Yes, that's the plan, it just seemed unusual. Thanks, Hugh.No problem.

Could be worse. Your video card could be displaying 4 color CGA. Trust me; that's worse!