PDA

View Full Version : .....It Ate My Windows......

koØm
02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I updated my MacBook Pro to "Mavericks", OS X Version 9. Before, I was running Snow Leopard (V 6.eight) and I had VM Ware installed with 64 bit version of Vista running. I also had MS Office Suite for Mac installed.

Now, my VM Ware is not compatible with this version of OS X so my Virtual Windows install is not accessible. I only needed the Windows install for Microsoft Publisher which is not included in the office suite for the Apple OS.

I have a backup of the Snow Leopard OS on TimeMachine.

I'm thinking maybe, buy a larger HD.

1. Clone the Mavaricks install then use Bootcamp to partition the drive.

2. Use TimeMachine to install Snow Leopard on second partition thus having dual boot.

3. Install Windows 7 (and Publisher) on the second partition.

4. Carry two Laptops, I Windows and one Mac.

BTW: An "8" and "parenthesis" gives you this 8)

WØTKX
02-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Yea, it's a dilemma my Mac friends have to deal with.

"8)"

Workaround, add a space...

"8 )"

NQ6U
02-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Workaround, add a space...

"8 )"

Huh, how...primitive. Real men use the [noparse] tag instead: 8)

N1LAF
02-19-2014, 06:39 AM
How about 1a. Dual boot with Linux, and run VMware from Linux using your existing Vista VM? Three OS's, one laptop. More options.

koØm
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
How about 1a. Dual boot with Linux, and run VMware from Linux using your existing Vista VM? Three OS's, one laptop. More options.

Things came up and, I put that one (Late 2009 model) on hold for a moment; I left it running Maverikes / no VM or Dual boot.

My close associate had to lighten his load and shrink his footprint and he did so by gifting (dumping) numerous PCs, Laptops, and Macs (all in need of assembly or scraping), unfinished RF decks and B+ Supplies and assorted Rf and computer parts.

With nothing better to do, I cobbled a working 2006 model (Glossy) MacBook Pro together out the the three chassis and multiple displays and logic boards from the pile. I am pretty sure that I could piece together another working Mac Book out of what's left. It's running 10.6.8 , it has duo 2.0 Gig Processors and a full 2 Gig of RAM. It was a hot machine in 2006 selling for $1900 + bucks.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I had purchased a 500 Gig, 7200 RPM spindle drive with a 16 megabyte cache for the primary Mac Book Pro but, I was waiting to see if I could talk my other buddy out of a 2.5 inch drive that i swapped out of a laptop for him; no deal.

I installed the 500 Gig drive and it is running as it should, I might invest in another 4 Gigs of RAM to dress it fully out; still deciding if I really need to run Windows on a different partition.

I haven't looked at LINUX since the days of DOS 6.2 (2001), the GUI interfaces of that day and the lack of integration with anything popular forced me to stay with Windows.

Now, if I could just get the heart to finish those RF Appliances.

NQ6U
03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
With nothing better to do, I cobbled a working 2006 model (Glossy) MacBook Pro together out the the three chassis and multiple displays and logic boards from the pile. I am pretty sure that I could piece together another working Mac Book out of what's left. It's running 10.6.8 , it has duo 2.0 Gig Processors and a full 2 Gig of RAM. It was a hot machine in 2006 selling for $1900 + bucks.

And exactly what I'm using to type these very words.

koØm
03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
And exactly what I'm using to type these very words.

I have gotten my Windows back, follow me:

After I got the second machine (2006 Glossy - 32 bit architecture) running, I took a Time Machine image and the Migration tool and moved the account from the first machine (Mid 2009 Duo 2 Core - 64 bit architecture with VM Ware) to the 2006 MBP. I had to remove the 64 bit Virtual machine from the 2006 MBP but, that freed up the virtual machine software for a new install.

On the First machine, I am going to upgrade the VM Fusion and install a couple of VM's, one Linux and a 64 Bit version of Windows 7.

I was thinking about thinking about Bootcamping a partition and dedicating a whole partition to Windows 7 but, I already have a Windows Laptop so I'll just leave it straight Mac Journaled.