PDA

View Full Version : Throw me in hot tar and call me an a-hole from Maine...

N2CHX
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah I haven't been around in a bit. Took another little unannounced vacation to get some things done and to avoid things that were building up to be more than just an irritation... The last week and a half I've been down for the count with a really bad sinus infection, bad reaction to antibiotics, and subsequently vertigo. Hoping to be back to work on Monday.

I haven't touched the radio in weeks until this morning. Last time I had a QSO was weeks ago, and it was a quick one with someone who was irritated because he was doing some contest. I had no clue he was working a contest because it wasn't readily apparent. Today... Another contest. A few weeks ago RTTY stations were all over the fucking place. In every part of the band, operating on top of PSK and other ops. Then it was an Olivia contest, I believe. Same friggin' deal. Today it's a "triathlon". Three mode contest, which means-- you guessed it: The entire fucking band is jammed with contesters who don't give a fuck about anything but winning contest points. They don't care if they QRM you, they don't care if they're operating RTTY in the PSK portion of the band (yeah I know there isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but come on!), they don't give a shit about anything but getting a callsign and signal report.

So yeah, call me a bitch, I don't care, but until contesters learn how to share the band with everyone else and not be such dicks, fuck contests.

N8YX
02-01-2014, 10:29 AM
The last week and a half I've been down for the count with a really bad sinus infection, bad reaction to antibiotics, and subsequently vertigo. Hoping to be back to work on Monday.
I'm fighting the very same thing at the moment. It sucks. I feel for you.

... until contesters learn how to share the band with everyone else and not be such dicks, fuck contests.

The WARC bands along with 60M are usually free from this sort of thing.

kb2vxa
02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Yeah, you're another contest hater who can't get it through your Faraday shielded skull that's what the WARC bands are for. (;->)
"Throw me in hot tar and call me an a-hole from Maine..."
No, but I can have you tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail if you like.
"So yeah, call me a bitch..."
I don't have to call you what you already know.

That little jab out of the way, speaking for everyone here who missed you and loves you, get well soon and I know you will. Consider yourself lucky vertigo (reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock) is all you have to contend with. I had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic that should have been administered IV, explosive diarrhea for a month and a half. You can imagine how painful and messy THAT was!

Taking a vacation from the Island to get things done is a practical solution to distractions such as we Misfits. As far as avoiding things building up to more than irritation goes, there's another solution to that problem. Since you were last here I added two quotes to the tags above my signature, take a look at the third one.

N2CHX
02-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm fighting the very same thing at the moment. It sucks. I feel for you.

Gah! Get better soon. This really sucks. I had no clue what was wrong with me until it got to where I had difficulty concentrating and I finally decided to go see my doctor. She feels my face and tells me it's swollen really badly and that's when I realized... Yeah, it WAS swollen really badly. Duh! That's how wrapped up in work I've been lately.

Yeah, you're another contest hater who can't get it through your Faraday shielded skull that's what the WARC bands are for. (;->)
"Throw me in hot tar and call me an a-hole from Maine..."
No, but I can have you tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail if you like.
"So yeah, call me a bitch..."
I don't have to call you what you already know.

That little jab out of the way, speaking for everyone here who missed you and loves you, get well soon and I know you will. Consider yourself lucky vertigo (reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock) is all you have to contend with. I had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic that should have been administered IV, explosive diarrhea for a month and a half. You can imagine how painful and messy THAT was!

Taking a vacation from the Island to get things done is a practical solution to distractions such as we Misfits. As far as avoiding things building up to more than irritation goes, there's another solution to that problem. Since you were last here I added two quotes to the tags above my signature, take a look at the third one.

Heh, nice :)

Good to know you guys love me, despite all my shortcomings :snicker:

That must have really sucked. I've never had the runs for that long, for sure.

Yes, the WARC bands... My rig had transmit on 30, 17 and 12 locked out from the factory but someone enabled it before I got it, so I do have the capability. It doesn't have 60 meters at all though.

n0iu
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
So yeah, call me a bitch, I don't care, but until contesters learn how to share the band with everyone else and not be such dicks, fuck contests.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2aj5bpw.jpg

KJ3N
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM

The WARC bands and 60m are always free from contests. Anyone who tells you differently, has an anti-contest axe to grind.

CQ DEQP de KS3D...

K7SGJ
02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
You're welcome to use MY frequency if you like. I just know contesters avoid it in case I should want to get on the air.

N2CHX
02-01-2014, 04:26 PM
You're welcome to use MY frequency if you like. I just know contesters avoid it in case I should want to get on the air.

So just what is your frequency?

KJ3N
02-01-2014, 04:49 PM
So just what is your frequency?

At this point in my relationship? About once a month.

N2CHX
02-01-2014, 04:57 PM
At this point in my relationship? About once a month.

Well there's your problem :snicker:

n2ize
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah I haven't been around in a bit. Took another little unannounced vacation to get some things done and to avoid things that were building up to be more than just an irritation... The last week and a half I've been down for the count with a really bad sinus infection, bad reaction to antibiotics, and subsequently vertigo. Hoping to be back to work on Monday.

I haven't touched the radio in weeks until this morning. Last time I had a QSO was weeks ago, and it was a quick one with someone who was irritated because he was doing some contest. I had no clue he was working a contest because it wasn't readily apparent. Today... Another contest. A few weeks ago RTTY stations were all over the fucking place. In every part of the band, operating on top of PSK and other ops. Then it was an Olivia contest, I believe. Same friggin' deal. Today it's a "triathlon". Three mode contest, which means-- you guessed it: The entire fucking band is jammed with contesters who don't give a fuck about anything but winning contest points. They don't care if they QRM you, they don't care if they're operating RTTY in the PSK portion of the band (yeah I know there isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but come on!), they don't give a shit about anything but getting a callsign and signal report.

I remember in the early 90's being on 3885kc AM in QSO with another station. Some kind of contest came on and this guy on SSB breaks in and tells us that we should get off the air because there is a contest. He also told me to check out my radio for problems because there is a carrier on my signal and that is illegal. . Uh yeah,...right... no shit Sherlock, I was operating in A3E mode which includes carrier and is perfectly legal. He was pissing and moaning that he was trying to contest a few kc's down and we were causing interference. I calmly explained that instead of ranting and raving like a maniac all he need do is ask politely and we would gladly move a few kc's up band to give him some room... which we did. I think he was flabbergasted, it never dawned on him that being polite and asking people nicely gets better results than coming on frequency all hot and bothered and being arrogant. All ended well that day. We continued our QSO for a while longer and then we gradually signed out to go about our non-radio related tasks.

Personally contesting doesn't interest me but, to each his/her own. However, I think hams in general should show more politeness. One needs to understand that his particular mode or style of operation doesn't dominate any other mode or style of operation and if people were more polite and patient to one another there would be room for everyone. There are bad contesters out there and also bad ragchewers.

W2NAP
02-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I remember in the early 90's being on 3885kc AM in QSO with another station. Some kind of contest came on and this guy on SSB breaks in and tells us that we should get off the air because there is a contest. He also told me to check out my radio for problems because there is a carrier on my signal and that is illegal. . Uh yeah,...right... no shit Sherlock, I was operating in A3E mode which includes carrier and is perfectly legal. He was pissing and moaning that he was trying to contest a few kc's down and we were causing interference. I calmly explained that instead of ranting and raving like a maniac all he need do is ask politely and we would gladly move a few kc's up band to give him some room... which we did. I think he was flabbergasted, it never dawned on him that being polite and asking people nicely gets better results than coming on frequency all hot and bothered and being arrogant. All ended well that day. We continued our QSO for a while longer and then we gradually signed out to go about our non-radio related tasks.

contests seem to bring the worst out in both the contesters and non-contesters it seems.

NY4Q
02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
contests seem to bring the worst out in both the contesters and non-contesters it seems.

Yep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12eVCBbGsw

WØTKX
02-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Is hot tar on the S&M agenda? Just wondering. :evil:

kb2vxa
02-02-2014, 01:22 AM
I guess so, if you want to get it on while tarring a roof or paving a road. Watch out for the roller, you want kinky and it has a tendency to flatten them out.

W7XF
02-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Hey gurl...... you should go look at the Swamp I'm stirring up..... :D

N2CHX
02-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Is hot tar on the S&M agenda? Just wondering. :evil:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...

N2CHX
02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Hey gurl...... you should go look at the Swamp I'm stirring up..... :D

Oh jeez lol. I'm afraid.

kb2vxa
02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
If you can stir a whole swamp with all that shit in there you must have one of these: http://www.shitcreekpaddleshop.com/

N2RJ
02-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Last time I had a QSO was weeks ago, and it was a quick one with someone who was irritated because he was doing some contest. I had no clue he was working a contest because it wasn't readily apparent.

First rule of radio: Listen, listen and listen again.

I don't like bag chew nets either but you don't see me barging into a net, simply asking for 5-9 then leaving.

N2CHX
02-05-2014, 09:16 PM

I don't like bag chew nets either but you don't see me barging into a net, simply asking for 5-9 then leaving.

Yeah, GFY. I do listen. Much more than I transmit. Much more. The guy was calling CQ but didn't say anything that was indicative of being in a contest.

WØTKX
02-05-2014, 09:43 PM
WTF does barging into a net have to do with a contest CQ?

Wave it around like you just don't care (again) proves...?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1473697!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/roadrage3n-1-web.jpg

n2ize
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Oh jeez lol. I'm afraid.

Will you throw hot tar on me ? :lol:

WØTKX
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
You'd like it.

W3WN
02-05-2014, 11:32 PM

I don't like bag chew nets either but you don't see me barging into a net, simply asking for 5-9 then leaving.Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Sometimes, OM, when you make one of your rare hit & run appearances like this, you really make me wonder if for you, English is a second language.

n2ize
02-06-2014, 05:39 AM
You'd like it.

Hmmm... I don't think so. Tar is hard to remove.

KC2UGV
02-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Yeah, GFY. I do listen. Much more than I transmit. Much more. The guy was calling CQ but didn't say anything that was indicative of being in a contest.

I think Ryan was suggesting you listen, so that you could whip out a piece and de-escalate the contest :snicker:

KJ3N
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
I think Ryan was suggesting you listen, so that you could whip out a piece and de-escalate the contest :snicker:

:rofl:

(Still running on the generator...)

K7SGJ
02-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Hmmm... I don't think so. Tar is hard to remove.

Not if you freeze it first. The feathers could take it a little longer to freeze, of course.

kb2vxa
02-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Maybe a little late for nets but, does anybody remember the 20M DX Net controlled by a guy in Florida who shouted so loud I could hear him in New Jersey without a radio? As conditions changed net control was handed off to one in Ohio a bit more relaxed and a bit more sane. Shooting fish in a barrel was funny listening with DX hounds chasing DX chickens (check-ins) and funnier still with the shouter ranting and raving over the slightest mistake. Instead of a fox, picture hounds chasing a chicken without realizing that catching them in a net is WAY TOO easy.

Oh, after freezing and peeling there's always some tar left, that's where the jug of Varsol comes in.

K7SGJ
02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Maybe a little late for nets but, does anybody remember the 20M DX Net controlled by a guy in Florida who shouted so loud I could hear him in New Jersey without a radio? As conditions changed net control was handed off to one in Ohio a bit more relaxed and a bit more sane. Shooting fish in a barrel was funny listening with DX hounds chasing DX chickens (check-ins) and funnier still with the shouter ranting and raving over the slightest mistake. Instead of a fox, picture hounds chasing a chicken without realizing that catching them in a net is WAY TOO easy.

Oh, after freezing and peeling there's always some tar left, that's where the jug of Varsol comes in.

Or it can be done systemically with three tablespoons of carbolic acid.

kb2vxa
02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Varsol will take your skin off just the same, I had the misfortune not to notice oil in the water from a spill offshore ironically here at "the beach" as we call this place to distinguish it from "the borough" when it was all Point Pleasant. Dad plopped me in the tub and got the jug of that flesh eating petroleum solvent and gave me an extremely painful bath in it. Then came soap and water followed by another bath, this one in some stuff mom used to fix my ashy skin that unfortunately didn't have Novocaine in it. And you think sunburn is bad? Maybe I would have preferred carbolic acid.

Next time we tar and feather Kelli remember to give her a jug of Varsol...........MUAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaa.

n2ize
02-11-2014, 03:53 AM
Varsol will take your skin off just the same, I had the misfortune not to notice oil in the water from a spill offshore ironically here at "the beach" as we call this place to distinguish it from "the borough" when it was all Point Pleasant. Dad plopped me in the tub and got the jug of that flesh eating petroleum solvent and gave me an extremely painful bath in it. Then came soap and water followed by another bath, this one in some stuff mom used to fix my ashy skin that unfortunately didn't have Novocaine in it. And you think sunburn is bad? Maybe I would have preferred carbolic acid.

Next time we tar and feather Kelli remember to give her a jug of Varsol...........MUAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaa.

Just be glad he didn't smoke while giving you the Varsol(R) bath. Had he done so it would have been a heck of a lot more painful.

BTW... Varsol is a great solvent. We used it by the drum back in my industrial days. Namely for dissolving waxes to produce coatings.

kb2vxa
02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Still way off topic but what the heck with Kelli probably gone off to feed the pigeons again out of range of my sharp stick. I don't remember where the man in the torture chamber with a bathtub got the stuff, it was in a 1gal glass jug with a very worn label on it, but it was made by Esso. Now with it being Exxon/Mobile it's the registered trademark of a whole family of similar solvents.

"With the recent stricter regulations, Varsol fluids have been increasingly replaced by the dearomatized Exxsol™ D product family, which includes products of equivalent properties while also offering improved health, safety, environment and COMFORT characteristics." Emphasis mine.

Well, had he waited a few years I might have actually liked it. It's a whole lot better than a bath in kerosene which it was designed to replace except for one thing. Kerosene being of a heavier molecular weight has a much lower evaporation rate and much higher flash point, you can put out a match in it. I used it to light the fire in a wood stove without kindling, pour it on the split logs, wait a minute for it to soak in and light it. It catches fire slower than charcoal lighter fluid, petroleum naphtha or a naphtha/benzine mixture and like it requires some sort of a wick, you can put a match out in the liquid. What I'm getting at here is like that benzine I was talking about, he could have dropped his cigarette in the tub with Varsol flowing down the drain and it would have gone out.

Gasoline on the other hand I don't even want to think about. Well, since I thought about it I may as well tell you that a Cuban friend who owned a gas station and a son were killed in a fire started by gasoline fumes. The son was cleaning parts in a tub of gas in the corner of one of the bays with all the doors open, fumes crept across the floor and when they reached a space heater in the office where the father was ignited. The other son was spared because he was outside at a pump island servicing a customer, the station was destroyed in the few minutes before the fire department got there. Lesson to be learned: NEVER, EVER use gasoline as a solvent even in a well ventilated area!

It was a terrible loss and to the community as well, Cubans being highly inventive mechanics using whatever is on hand having learned their skills in Cuba where replacement parts are unavailable. That's how those classic 50s cars still run and keep "that showroom new appearance". They're not everyday street cars, those are European and a few left over from Soviet occupation, the oldies are owned by classic car club members. Parts are hard enough to come by in the States, impossible in Cuba so they have to make their own by modifying something or machining it from a blank. Machinists do it all the time but try to do it without a blueprint, they do. I replaced the carb on one of my old cars but the one I got from the junk yard was a but taller so the engine wouldn't idle down all the way. I took it to their garage and one of the sons made a whole new linkage out of brazing rods. Now why didn't >I< think of that? Because I'm not Cuban.

N2CHX
02-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Still here! :muhahaha:

n2ize
02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Still way off topic but what the heck with Kelli probably gone off to feed the pigeons again out of range of my sharp stick. I don't remember where the man in the torture chamber with a bathtub got the stuff, it was in a 1gal glass jug with a very worn label on it, but it was made by Esso. Now with it being Exxon/Mobile it's the registered trademark of a whole family of similar solvents.

"With the recent stricter regulations, Varsol fluids have been increasingly replaced by the dearomatized Exxsol™ D product family, which includes products of equivalent properties while also offering improved health, safety, environment and COMFORT characteristics." Emphasis mine.

Well, had he waited a few years I might have actually liked it. It's a whole lot better than a bath in kerosene which it was designed to replace except for one thing. Kerosene being of a heavier molecular weight has a much lower evaporation rate and much higher flash point, you can put out a match in it. I used it to light the fire in a wood stove without kindling, pour it on the split logs, wait a minute for it to soak in and light it. It catches fire slower than charcoal lighter fluid, petroleum naphtha or a naphtha/benzine mixture and like it requires some sort of a wick, you can put a match out in the liquid. What I'm getting at here is like that benzine I was talking about, he could have dropped his cigarette in the tub with Varsol flowing down the drain and it would have gone out.

Gasoline on the other hand I don't even want to think about. Well, since I thought about it I may as well tell you that a Cuban friend who owned a gas station and a son were killed in a fire started by gasoline fumes. The son was cleaning parts in a tub of gas in the corner of one of the bays with all the doors open, fumes crept across the floor and when they reached a space heater in the office where the father was ignited. The other son was spared because he was outside at a pump island servicing a customer, the station was destroyed in the few minutes before the fire department got there. Lesson to be learned: NEVER, EVER use gasoline as a solvent even in a well ventilated area!

It was a terrible loss and to the community as well, Cubans being highly inventive mechanics using whatever is on hand having learned their skills in Cuba where replacement parts are unavailable. That's how those classic 50s cars still run and keep "that showroom new appearance". They're not everyday street cars, those are European and a few left over from Soviet occupation, the oldies are owned by classic car club members. Parts are hard enough to come by in the States, impossible in Cuba so they have to make their own by modifying something or machining it from a blank. Machinists do it all the time but try to do it without a blueprint, they do. I replaced the carb on one of my old cars but the one I got from the junk yard was a but taller so the engine wouldn't idle down all the way. I took it to their garage and one of the sons made a whole new linkage out of brazing rods. Now why didn't >I< think of that? Because I'm not Cuban.

Then there is good ol' fashioned Carbon Tetrachloride. It will remove tar and you can even put out fires with it. :)

NQ6U
02-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Then there is good ol' fashioned Carbon Tetrachloride. It will remove tar and you can even put out fires with it. :)

And you can turn your liver and lungs into cheese while doing it, too. When you spray carbon tet on a fire, the high temperatures cause it to react to produce phosgene. Just by itself it can cause acute liver failure.

K7SGJ
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
And you can turn your liver and lungs into cheese while doing it, too. When you spray carbon tet on a fire, the high temperatures cause it to react to produce phosgene. Just by itself it can cause acute liver failure.

What happens if you don't have a cute liver?

NQ6U
02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
What happens if you don't have a cute liver?

Then it causes homely liver failure. You of all people should know that.

K7SGJ
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Sorry, my bad. I must be an un- hep-o-tightass.

W7XF
02-12-2014, 03:04 AM

But you already have a hole-y liver.

n2ize
02-12-2014, 10:08 AM

I know. I have worked with carbon tet in the industrial laboratory setting and we required that it be used in a fume hood and it not be allowed to contact the skin. When I was a kid it was sold in hardware stores. I remember using it at home to degrease bicycle parts. My dad worked in a machine shop in Manhattan and there was a guy who worked 8 hours a day in a room down in the basement where metal was degreased in a tub of carbon tet. The guy used to stick his hands and arms into the carbon tet to insert and retrieve them metal. My dad told me the guy died a few years later of liver failure. Of course it didn't help that the guy was very heavy drinker as well.

I am familiar with the old carbon tet extinguishers. In fact I have a couple laying around somewhere. I am pretty sure they are empty, although one of them may still be half full. They look like large brass syringes and they have a badge on the side that is stamped "Pyrene". I got them back in the 1970's when I was working for a small company that refilled extinguishers (or as we called them "oils"). They were long out of service and the owner said to take a few if I want them for nostalgic antiques. They date back to somewhere nbetween the turn of the century to the 1920's.

W9JEF
02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
(...)Consider yourself lucky vertigo (reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock) is all you have to contend with. I had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic that should have been administered IV, explosive diarrhea for a month and a half. You can imagine how painful and messy THAT was!

Your digestive system depends on friendly bacteria,
which the antibiotic kills along with the bad germs.
Next time, try taking a probiotic supplement
a couple hours after downing the antibiotic. :)

W9JEF
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

A ham radio friend of long ago once claimed he could snuff out his cigarette
by dipping it into the gasoline tank of his Harley. I never questioned this,
and certainly didn't intend to be around for a demo. ;)

To remove some paint I had got on my trousers, wifey #1 soaked them in gasoline,
and put them into our $600 (big money in those days) combination washer/dryer.
Did I mention the dryer used natural gas? Blew the door clean off that sucker. :(

W9JEF
02-12-2014, 12:07 PM

The antibiotics are "equal opportunity," which means they also kill the friendly bacteria
that our digestive systems depend on. About 2 hours after dropping the antibiotics,
try eating yogurt (the kind with live bacteria) or a probiotic supplement containing strains
of acidophilus, and other "good guys," and prepare for "a shootout at the OK coral."

I've found that eating a bulb or two of garlic every day helps keep infections in check.
And saltwater squirted up your nose is a more pleasant way to fight sinus germs. :)

kb2vxa
02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi Kel, good you're still here!

When I was a kid I saw those carbon tet fire extinguishers on the walls of shops downtown. Schwartz also had an X-ray machine in his shoe store, unplugged as sort of a conversation piece. They were outlawed many years ago because besides feet being exposed they spewed X-rays all over everybody standing nearby. Carbon tet was sold by the gallon at hardware stores, I used it often and grandma used Carbona spot remover. It was used as a flux remover on PC boards until replaced by safe trichlorethylene or Perchlor as it was called in the dry cleaning industry which thanks to the greenies who worshiped the Holy Ozone Hole had it along with Freon (TF and TE used in vapor degreasers) had them banned. Now it's alcohol that doesn't work worth shit. How ironic, while banned in the US DuPont manufactures Freon in Baltimore and exports millions of tons of it annually. DuPont makes tons of money, people overseas still use some of the best solvents and refrigerant on the planet, the ozone hole disappeared all on its own and having screwed us once again the greenies have wreaked even more havoc and are whining about more stupid shit than ever.

The guy with the Harley was shitting you. The temperature of a lit cigarette without drawing is 752 degrees while the ignition temperature of gasoline is 539 degrees. I wouldn't question it either for two reasons, bikers are crazy and I'm not. For those reasons I wouldn't stick around for a demonstration either.

Speaking of demonstrations, your wife demonstrated how to remove the door from a washer/dryer without using a screwdriver. It looks like this guy wasn't lonely THAT day!

KC2UGV
02-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Your digestive system depends on friendly bacteria,
which the antibiotic kills along with the bad germs.
Next time, try taking a probiotic supplement
a couple hours after downing the antibiotic. :)

What's a pro-biotic?

NA4BH
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
What's a pro-biotic?

It's one that gets paid.

K7SGJ
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
It's one that gets paid.

Big bucks

NQ6U
02-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Auntie Biotic is my mother's sister.

K7SGJ
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Auntie Biotic is my mother's sister.

Does she still live next to Rose Bud, and Olie Anders?

kb2vxa
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
My Auntie Biotic and Auntie Maim are twin sisters, the first did a number on my insides and the second did a number on the exit. You guys picked up on something that slipped my mind (I have a slippery mind), I took a fistful of probiotics (I hate yogurt) every day and they didn't work. I didn't have enough money to meet their demands so they went on strike. That's the worst part, they hit me where it hurts, one guess where.

One more thing, grandma dragged me to the movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051383/ it sucks. If that wasn't bad enough, when my cousin was born she dragged me to this one, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054232/ it sucks harder. Now guess his name.

NQ6U
02-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Does she still live next to Rose Bud, and Olie Anders?

No, she moved in with her other sister, Auntie Matter.

n2ize
02-12-2014, 10:21 PM
What's a pro-biotic?

Basically any LIVE bacteria that is considered to have a health benefit

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CFQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cast-science.org%2Fdownload.cfm%3FPublicationID%3D2930% 26File%3D1e30b3eff78c82b8a5f466715212375d3c53TR&ei=aDn8UpHNDqWL0QHVnYGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNFbhPMGDIbC8DNtAZYnKwkVQo_alQ&sig2=9pcwHo_urLOgOAtDd0UGHA&bvm=bv.61190604,d.dmQ

K7SGJ
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
No, she moved in with her other sister, Auntie Matter.

I thought she got busted for making and selling Auntie gin.

n2ize
02-13-2014, 12:24 AM

When I was a kid I saw those carbon tet fire extinguishers on the walls of shops downtown. Schwartz also had an X-ray machine in his shoe store, unplugged as sort of a conversation piece. They were outlawed many years ago because besides feet being exposed they spewed X-rays all over everybody standing nearby.

They called them fluoroscopes. I think they were relatively safe.

[quoote]
Carbon tet was sold by the gallon at hardware stores, I used it often and grandma used Carbona spot remover. It was used as a flux remover on PC boards until replaced by safe trichlorethylene or Perchlor as it was called in the dry cleaning industry which thanks to the greenies who worshiped the Holy Ozone Hole had it along with Freon (TF and TE used in vapor degreasers) had them banned. Now it's alcohol that doesn't work worth shit. How ironic, while banned in the US DuPont manufactures Freon in Baltimore and exports millions of tons of it annually. DuPont makes tons of money, people overseas still use some of the best solvents and refrigerant on the planet, the ozone hole disappeared all on its own and having screwed us once again the greenies have wreaked even more havoc and are whining about more stupid shit than ever.[/quote]

I hate the greenies. They are a bunch of assholes. Even carbon tet is not that dangerous if you take proper precautions when using it. Chloroform is a reasonably good degreaser and I think it's still legal. Alcohol sucks for removing certain greases or resins because it's a polar solvent. It's almost as worthless as using water.

NA4BH
02-13-2014, 12:33 AM
They called them fluoroscopes. I think they were relatively safe.

No they weren't. They were unfiltered x-rays that shot straight into your eyes when you looked at the shoe fit. The first sign of radiation exposure is cataracts.

n2ize
02-13-2014, 12:45 AM

When I was a kid I saw those carbon tet fire extinguishers on the walls of shops downtown.

You sure they were carbon tets or were they soda acids ? The carbon tets were small brass cylinders with a plunger like device on one end. The soda acids were larger 2.5 gallon tanks with a hose extended from one side and they were filled with a sodium bicarbonate solution. At the top of the unit, inside the tank was a small loosely capped lead bottle containing sulphuric acid. To operate the oil (extinguisher) you would have to turn in upside down causing the sulphuric acid to mix with the bicarbonate. This created high pressure CO2 which would force the solution out of the hose which would be aimed at the base of the fire. The oil would continue spraying until the contents were exhausted. These was no valve handle on them. They were very easy to refil Just rinse the tank, fill it with water, add the bicarbonate, refil the lead bottle with sulphuric acid and screw the assembly back onto the tank. The tanks were usually made from copped or brass. later on they were made of shiny polished steel. They were sold under names like Kidde, Fyr Fyter, and Buffalo. Someimes a liqourice based foaming agent was added to the solution and they were referred to as foam extinguishers.

The fun ones were the CO2 type. Usually a red cylinder with a valve handle and a large black horn. They were charged with compressed CO2 akthough the agent was sometimes called "LUX". They would tend to freeze the object they were sprayed at and when discharged they were LOUD ! They were sold under common brand names like Fyr Fyter, Kidde, and Randolph. They have largely been replaced by the chalks (dry chemical).

One of the rarer types is the class D kind They are usually yellow and are used to fight metal fires, i.e. burning magnesium, sodium, zink, aluminum, etc. They generally contain sand or ash.

KC2UGV
02-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Basically any LIVE bacteria that is considered to have a health benefit

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CFQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cast-science.org%2Fdownload.cfm%3FPublicationID%3D2930% 26File%3D1e30b3eff78c82b8a5f466715212375d3c53TR&ei=aDn8UpHNDqWL0QHVnYGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNFbhPMGDIbC8DNtAZYnKwkVQo_alQ&sig2=9pcwHo_urLOgOAtDd0UGHA&bvm=bv.61190604,d.dmQ

So, they get injected into the intestines?

KK4AMI
02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
So, they get injected into the intestines?

Only if Jamie Lee Curtis gets mean and decides to shove them down your throat :)

Otherwise, she will just feed them to you in a form of yogurt, powder or pill.

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 01:10 AM
"They called them fluoroscopes."
They were called pedoscopes because while it's a kind of flouroscope people looked at their feet with them. Don't believe me look it up
"I think they were relatively safe."
You think wrong, besides "relative" being a relative term they were banned for being a SERIOUS HEALTH HAZARD. There's plenty available information, do your homework and you'll avoid continual disputes and be thought of as a troll.

"They were unfiltered x-rays that shot straight into your eyes when you looked at the shoe fit. The first sign of radiation exposure is cataracts."
You see? Somebody did his homework and there's lots more about inadequate shielding that exposed others to hazardous radiation levels.

"You sure they were carbon tets or were they soda acids ?"
I know my fire extinguishers and how they operate. I saw plenty of TV presentations and various bits on the internet about their history and modern ones. I also worked making ABC dry chemical extinguishers and later as a QC inspector. The fun was after the hydrostatic pressure test came the burst test, after recording the test pressure I'd pump them up until they exploded, then record the pressure just before the bottle burst, then reset the gauge. The pump was a three cylinder, each in stage one commonly used for high pressure water washing. BTW, one rather interesting antique is a fire grenade, a hand sized glass sphere filled with carbon tet that was thrown at the fire like a hand grenade. They're too pretty to waste on a fire, now empty they make great display ornaments and conversation pieces.

Re probiotics:
"So, they get injected into the intestines?"
I like the comment about Jamie Lee Curtis. That's worse than trying to swallow a big, dry as dust pill I still do since I have so darn many left over from that nasty exploding butt adventure. Now it's just the opposite with the pain pills that make me strain to poop rocks and stool softener pills don't work. They need water but that's eliminated by water pills I take to prevent congestive heart failure. From one extreme to the other, but at least I don't spray all over the place! I feel like one of those old farts on 75M these days, but without antennas I take out my frustration here, your friendly neighborhood grumpy old bastid. (;->)

KC2UGV
02-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Only if Jamie Lee Curtis gets mean and decides to shove them down your throat :)

Otherwise, she will just feed them to you in a form of yogurt, powder or pill.

Ah, science woo. Got it :)

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 10:56 AM
You'll REALLY get it if Jamie Lee Curtis gets her hands on you! Remember Eating Raoul? Another thing to remember, she's pushing yogurt these days so if she doesn't eat you she'll push yogurt down your throat.

K7SGJ
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
You'll REALLY get it if Jamie Lee Curtis gets her hands on you! Remember Eating Raoul? Another thing to remember, she's pushing yogurt these days so if she doesn't eat you she'll push yogurt down your throat.

Or UP the other popular orifice.

kb2vxa
02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Then you'll end up like Cartman. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153499/cartman-wins-the-bet