PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng radio (limited freq range)

n2ize
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Apparently the frequency coverage of the Baofeng vhf/uhf radio (UV-5R) 's firmware covers only the vhf/uhf (144-146) frequencies for Europe. So I am going to have to find a way to reprogram the firmware to enable USA (144-1488) coverage. As it now stands anything I try to program beyond 144-146 gives me an error. So, I am first going to have to see what I can do with chirp and perhaps some firmware hacks.

kb2vxa
01-27-2014, 09:04 PM
It's odd you got the European model, what went wrong? Did you check the specs before you bought it? I know it sounds like a silly question but I'm playing computer help desk here, did you plug it in? Did they ship you the wrong model? How about an exchange before you jump into the deep end of the pool?

KC2UGV
01-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Apparently the frequency coverage of the Baofeng vhf/uhf radio (UV-5R) 's firmware covers only the vhf/uhf (144-146) frequencies for Europe. So I am going to have to find a way to reprogram the firmware to enable USA (144-1488) coverage. As it now stands anything I try to program beyond 144-146 gives me an error. So, I am first going to have to see what I can do with chirp and perhaps some firmware hacks.

The UV-5R covers far beyond that. Try using CHIRP to open up the VFO to the full spread.

n2ize
01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
The UV-5R covers far beyond that. Try using CHIRP to open up the VFO to the full spread.

Yeah, that is what I am going to try before I condemn the radio. As it is a cheap Chinese radio I didn't expect it to be up to par with my Yaesu. And as most people have said, don't depend on the keypad to enter frequencies. So yeah, i'll see what can be accomplished with chirp. Obviously the vfo is locked up and if I can widen it I'll be set.

KC2UGV
01-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Yeah, that is what I am going to try before I condemn the radio. As it is a cheap Chinese radio I didn't expect it to be up to par with my Yaesu. And as most people have said, don't depend on the keypad to enter frequencies. So yeah, i'll see what can be accomplished with chirp. Obviously the vfo is locked up and if I can widen it I'll be set.

What I did was program the "outside band" channels in the memories (Along with some repeaters), but kept the VFO locked down to the US ham bands (To prevent me from accidentally going out of band). With the outside of band memories, I locked out transmit. ie, I can hear the local po-po's, but I can't key up their repeater.

n2ize
01-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Okay, seem to have got it. I had to connect to "chirp" and widen up the range so that it covers the full freq range. I had to do it vie chirp. In stock condition the radio has limited freq range.

W3WN
01-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Apparently the frequency coverage of the Baofeng vhf/uhf radio (UV-5R) 's firmware covers only the vhf/uhf (144-146) frequencies for Europe. So I am going to have to find a way to reprogram the firmware to enable USA (144-1488) coverage. As it now stands anything I try to program beyond 144-146 gives me an error. So, I am first going to have to see what I can do with chirp and perhaps some firmware hacks.That's very odd. Mine covers the entire R2 2 meter band.

Maybe you have a defective unit?

n2ize
01-28-2014, 08:25 AM
That's very odd. Mine covers the entire R2 2 meter band.

Maybe you have a defective unit?

I fixed it. I had to connect it to the computer via "chirp" and widen up the vfo's to include the full 2m and 70cm bands. Out of the box it came configured for operation only between 144-145. I now understand, having the interface cable and programming this radio via the computer is pretty much mandatory. Forget programming it via keypad and forget the "manual" that comes with it. Once I got this thing connected to my system I was able to get it working right.

K0RGR
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
It depends on where you get it. The one I ordered through Amazon came direct from China and it's opened up to the full range the radio covers. Since it's Part 90 certifcated, that is handy for some things. If you're a Red Cross volunteer, for example, some of their comms are on Part 90 UHF frequencies.

kb2vxa
01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Re UGV:
"What I did was program the "outside band" channels in the memories..."

Uh oh, New York is infamous for strict prohibition of any receiver capable of receiving public service frequencies in motor vehicles. Hams and their unlicensed XYLs driving with the OM not in the car who do not operate have been busted by the po po for just having them in the car. You made it worse so you're taking a chance on getting a wolf ticket, maybe having the radio confiscated as evidence with little chance of getting it back (as if you care). If you have an ordinary VHF and/or UHF ham rig in the car you take the same chance, every one is capable one way or another. You might have been taking a chance all along, if so consider yourself lucky. Oh, don't go to Rottenchester, their local ordinance puts you in double jeopardy.

OK, all you New Yorkers go ahead and laugh. Everybody gets lucky once in a while and lucky you haven't been stopped by a cop with a bug up his backside... just tellin' ya.

n2ize
01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Re UGV:

Uh oh, New York is infamous for strict prohibition of any receiver capable of receiving public service frequencies in motor vehicles. Hams and their unlicensed XYLs driving with the OM not in the car who do not operate have been busted by the po po for just having them in the car. You made it worse so you're taking a chance on getting a wolf ticket, maybe having the radio confiscated as evidence with little chance of getting it back (as if you care). If you have an ordinary VHF and/or UHF ham rig in the car you take the same chance, every one is capable one way or another. You might have been taking a chance all along, if so consider yourself lucky. Oh, don't go to Rottenchester, their local ordinance puts you in double jeopardy.

OK, all you New Yorkers go ahead and laugh. Everybody gets lucky once in a while and lucky you haven't been stopped by a cop with a bug up his backside... just tellin' ya.

Oh yeah. The cops don't give a crop if you have a license or not. You do know that a simple shortwave receiver it considered a PIT..."Potential Instrument of terrorism". Carrying any type of a receiver or tranceiver can land your ass right into jail. Fair or not fair there are rules and the law does mean business.

K7SGJ
01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Re UGV:

With more and more municipalities going digital and/or trunked, it won't be long before that won't be an issue. I don't think most PDs really care, unless you're George Zimmerman or someone like that, and just need a good harassing.

KC2UGV
01-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Re UGV:

NYS is also famous for their proviso in the law that allows the possession of such a radio by an amateur operator, as long as police freqs are not being used while operating the vehicle :)

K7SGJ
01-28-2014, 09:12 PM
NYS is also famous for their proviso in the law that allows the possession of such a radio by an amateur operator, as long as police freqs are not being used while operating the vehicle :)

That's the kind of crap laws that are a waste. It would be impossible for a cop to prove the police frequencies were being scanned by any kind of radio while the vehicle was being operated. More attempted strong-arm bullshit intimidation by the "authorities". Bastids

KC2UGV
01-28-2014, 09:27 PM
That's the kind of crap laws that are a waste. It would be impossible for a cop to prove the police frequencies were being scanned by any kind of radio while the vehicle was being operated. More attempted strong-arm bullshit intimidation by the "authorities". Bastids

More or less, if you show them your license, they don't give you any guff. It's really to keep scanners out of cars, and being used for criminal uses.

K7SGJ
01-28-2014, 10:04 PM
More or less, if you show them your license, they don't give you any guff. It's really to keep scanners out of cars, and being used for criminal uses.

Yeah, I get the concept, it's just bullshit. When I get stopped by law enforcement while I'm driving, I shouldn't have to show them any kind of license except for a valid operator license of the proper class; and if I'm packing, a valid CCW.

If someone wants to have a scanner in their vehicle to listen to the aircraft band, PS band, fire or even police, I see no issue with it. If, however, someone uses a radio for illicit purposes during the commission of a crime, then it's up to law enforcement/prosecution to prove so.

This paranoid country needs to step away from this idea that just because someone possesses an "item", whatever it may be, is, or will be, used for illegal activity.

KC2UGV
01-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I get the concept, it's just bullshit. When I get stopped by law enforcement while I'm driving, I shouldn't have to show them any kind of license except for a valid operator license of the proper class; and if I'm packing, a valid CCW.

If someone wants to have a scanner in their vehicle to listen to the aircraft band, PS band, fire or even police, I see no issue with it. If, however, someone uses a radio for illicit purposes during the commission of a crime, then it's up to law enforcement/prosecution to prove so.

This paranoid country needs to step away from this idea that just because someone possesses an "item", whatever it may be, is, or will be, used for illegal activity.

They do that. If you are licensed (As with CCW), no problem. If you are not, then it's a burgling tool. Pretty simple, and just just your example used.

K7SGJ
01-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Sorry, I can't agree with that.

Just because someone has a scanner in their vehicle does not make it a "burgling tool", anymore than having a "slim jim" or a crowbar in a vehicle makes it a "burgling tool". Obviously, it can be, but by just possessing it (in a vehicle) doesn't make it so. Common sense would dictate it is for entertainment. While there may be a statute that prohibits having a scanner in a vehicle in some locales, it doesn't make it any less of a bullshit ordinance, whether an occupant has some kind of a "radio" license or not. It's just like trying to legislate the size of a cola, it has been done, but it is still bullshit.

Just another reason why I'm glad I don't live in a state with such arcane laws. Although, on the other hand, we do have Sheriff Joe. I suppose we all have our crosses to bear.

n2ize
01-29-2014, 04:46 AM

Unfortunately those kinds of knee jerk laws are rampant throughout this and other countries. Lawmakers like them because it looks good on their records. Instead of investigating an actual crime you simply assume that mere possession of the item is enough to indicate that the person possessing it suspicious or planing to commit a crime and so they ban or impose heavy restrictions on the item. Later on when they are running for some higher office that can say, I passed a law to stop _______________________________ (fill in the blank with the name of the "evil" thing)... Even worst is when they pass these bans to protect ourselves from ourselves or, for heaven's sake, think of the children... A friend of mine who is a licensed ham and an avid SWL was detained and questioned at the Canadian border by US officials as he was coming back into NYS from Canada. What were they concerned about ? He had a small tabletop portable shortwave HF receiver laying in the back of the car and they wanted to know what was the meaning of having this "wickedly evil" device.

In some localities even posessing a portable laser can get you arrested, or, the item confiscated. They assume that you have it for the commission of some illegal purpose, i.e. shining at an aircraft, passing motorists, etc. I never carry mine with me. Friend of mine who uses them for presentations in large lecture halls removes the batteries when he carried one with him.

There are a lot of banmen all over this country writing new laws to impose more and more "knee jerk" bans. I am not saying thay are all as bad as former Mayor Banman of NYC but they are banmen and banwomen nonetheless.

KC2UGV
01-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Sorry, I can't agree with that.

Just because someone has a scanner in their vehicle does not make it a "burgling tool", anymore than having a "slim jim" or a crowbar in a vehicle makes it a "burgling tool". Obviously, it can be, but by just possessing it (in a vehicle) doesn't make it so. Common sense would dictate it is for entertainment. While there may be a statute that prohibits having a scanner in a vehicle in some locales, it doesn't make it any less of a bullshit ordinance, whether an occupant has some kind of a "radio" license or not. It's just like trying to legislate the size of a cola, it has been done, but it is still bullshit.

Just another reason why I'm glad I don't live in a state with such arcane laws. Although, on the other hand, we do have Sheriff Joe. I suppose we all have our crosses to bear.

And, it's never been employed in the manner you are suggesting. The only time that law is used is when you have already committed a crime, and thus, are subject to a traffic stop. Which is why it's not a primary offense, either, just like having a crow bar isn't illegal, but having one while in the commission of a crime is. It's exactly the same.

But, driving being the privilege it is, is subject to regulations. You are free from those regulations, should you choose to not operate a motor vehicle. And, you are free to use that scanner/ham radio (Another regulated thing, by the FCC), as long as you abide by the regulations put forth.

kb2vxa
01-29-2014, 09:16 AM
OK, if NYS has a proviso that exempts licensed Amateurs it's either something new I haven't heard of or the poster of that comment is misinformed. What I wrote is correct down to the letter to the best of my knowledge. There are web sites that show every state law regarding such as is under discussion if you want to look them up. That's where I got my information from but I had no reason to remember or bookmark them at the time.

For what it's worth, the NJ statute regarding use of any kind of radio to commit or facilitate commission of a crime mirrors the FCC statute almost to the letter. Apparently our legislature found it easier to copy and paste rather than bring it up in session, on those rare occasions when they are in session.

Yeah, those statutes that use the word "shortwave" certainly are archaic or the authors are woefully ignorant, I'll let you decide. IMO it's the latter, I never heard of any emergency services outside the Australian outback using shortwave, just MW beginning in the '30s those one way "calling all cars" broadcasts between 1600 and 1800KHz. The last such station to go dark was the New Hampshire State Police on 1710KHz in the late '60s I used to listen to at night.

Going a step farther, now many states have laws intending to prohibit use of cell phones and texting while the vehicle is in motion. Unfortunately most are poorly written such as New Jersey's that prohibits use of ANY electronic communications device. This got the Amateur community up in arms so we petitioned the legislature to amend the statute and so they did. Now there is an exempt clause for us and ONLY us so now nothing would make me laugh harder than cops handing out wolf tickets to commercial radio operators, taxis, ambulances, firemen and each other. Aw shaddap, cops know the intent of the statute and every so often I hear on the scanner cops issuing for illegal use of a cell phone while driving. Funny how they use them and MDTs often and I never hear one pulling over another cop for ANYTHING, cops will be cops you know. (;->)

KC2UGV
01-29-2014, 09:51 AM
OK, if NYS has a proviso that exempts licensed Amateurs it's either something new I haven't heard of or the poster of that comment is misinformed. What I wrote is correct down to the letter to the best of my knowledge. There are web sites that show every state law regarding such as is under discussion if you want to look them up. That's where I got my information from but I had no reason to remember or bookmark them at the time.

For what it's worth, the NJ statute regarding use of any kind of radio to commit or facilitate commission of a crime mirrors the FCC statute almost to the letter. Apparently our legislature found it easier to copy and paste rather than bring it up in session, on those rare occasions when they are in session.

Yeah, those statutes that use the word "shortwave" certainly are archaic or the authors are woefully ignorant, I'll let you decide. IMO it's the latter, I never heard of any emergency services outside the Australian outback using shortwave, just MW beginning in the '30s those one way "calling all cars" broadcasts between 1600 and 1800KHz. The last such station to go dark was the New Hampshire State Police on 1710KHz in the late '60s I used to listen to at night.

Going a step farther, now many states have laws intending to prohibit use of cell phones and texting while the vehicle is in motion. Unfortunately most are poorly written such as New Jersey's that prohibits use of ANY electronic communications device. This got the Amateur community up in arms so we petitioned the legislature to amend the statute and so they did. Now there is an exempt clause for us and ONLY us so now nothing would make me laugh harder than cops handing out wolf tickets to commercial radio operators, taxis, ambulances, firemen and each other. Aw shaddap, cops know the intent of the statute and every so often I hear on the scanner cops issuing for illegal use of a cell phone while driving. Funny how they use them and MDTs often and I never hear one pulling over another cop for ANYTHING, cops will be cops you know. (;->)

NYS Vehicular and Traffic Law, Section 397:

S 397. Equipping motor vehicles with radio receiving sets capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use. A
person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his
special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set
capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use
or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way
knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the
police without having first secured a permit so to do from the person
authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board
of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such
person resides outside of a city or village in a county having a county
police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty
of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand
dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in
this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who
holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal
communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable
mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving
set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

kb2vxa
01-29-2014, 07:47 PM
"...or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit so to do..." WTF???

KC2UGV
01-29-2014, 08:46 PM
"...or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit so to do..." WTF???

Yeah, with that part, they are sorta stepping into the FCC's realm...

n2ize
01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
NYS Vehicular and Traffic Law, Section 397:

The problem is that is what is written in the lawbooks versus what happens in the field are often two different animals. In the field you might be told to take your license and shove it and end up with the radio confiscated and your ass being hauled in anyway. Oh, once you call your lawyer and the facts are brought out in court they will probably drop all charges. I wouldn't count on getting your radio back however... those things have a tendency to vanish into thin air soon after confiscation. If you are going to carry a radio mobile (or even portable) I would reccomend carrying a cheap radio and removing all public service frequencies and just keep the ham bands, and lock down the radio so that it is limited to only the ham bands.. When you are at home you can go ahead and pump the public service stuff back in and widen up the vfo. In fact with todays computer interfaced radios it's easy. Have one image for mobile us, another for portable use and one for home use. When you're at home pour it on and put everything in. When you are portable lock it down a bit more and when you are mobile lock it way down to the ham bands only.

kb2vxa
01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa
KC2UGV:
Yeah, with that part, they are sorta stepping into the FCC's realm...

Secured a permit to knowingly interfere with police transmissions... from the FCC? That's a WTF all by itself.

KC2UGV
01-30-2014, 07:23 AM
The problem is that is what is written in the lawbooks versus what happens in the field are often two different animals. In the field you might be told to take your license and shove it and end up with the radio confiscated and your ass being hauled in anyway. Oh, once you call your lawyer and the facts are brought out in court they will probably drop all charges. I wouldn't count on getting your radio back however... those things have a tendency to vanish into thin air soon after confiscation. If you are going to carry a radio mobile (or even portable) I would reccomend carrying a cheap radio and removing all public service frequencies and just keep the ham bands, and lock down the radio so that it is limited to only the ham bands.. When you are at home you can go ahead and pump the public service stuff back in and widen up the vfo. In fact with todays computer interfaced radios it's easy. Have one image for mobile us, another for portable use and one for home use. When you're at home pour it on and put everything in. When you are portable lock it down a bit more and when you are mobile lock it way down to the ham bands only.

You have to get it back. A court case in NYS already ruled that the radio itself wasn't contraband, and must be returned, no matter what, or you must be paid replacement (Not market) value. Also, since it's not a primary offense, you are already in hot water for something else, in order for this statute to even matter for you.

Now, with all that being said, with the couple of traffic stops I've been involved in, with my rig in clear view (And, mic in it's holder), I've never even been asked about it.

n2ize
01-30-2014, 08:32 AM
What I did was program the "outside band" channels in the memories (Along with some repeaters), but kept the VFO locked down to the US ham bands (To prevent me from accidentally going out of band). With the outside of band memories, I locked out transmit. ie, I can hear the local po-po's, but I can't key up their repeater.

Question ?? Now that I have the radio functioning satisfactory via chirp, I widened up the vfo to include the entire vhf/uhf ham bands plus extended it to vocder out of band freqs so I can monitor a few of my local public services. Question is, how do I lock any of the "out of bounds" stuff so that I cannot transmit there. I am hesitant to add any out of band freqs into memory until i can assure that the radio will not transmit on there. This is of course that I don;t want to accidentally transmit out of band and, if the radio is lost I don;t want a radio someone could find and mess around with. In other words how do I lock out transmit on non-ham freqs ? I can;t see any provision for this on chirp and until I do I ham hesitant to add anything beyond the freqs that I am authorized to use.

KC2UGV
01-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Question ?? Now that I have the radio functioning satisfactory via chirp, I widened up the vfo to include the entire vhf/uhf ham bands plus extended it to vocder out of band freqs so I can monitor a few of my local public services. Question is, how do I lock any of the "out of bounds" stuff so that I cannot transmit there. I am hesitant to add any out of band freqs into memory until i can assure that the radio will not transmit on there. This is of course that I don;t want to accidentally transmit out of band and, if the radio is lost I don;t want a radio someone could find and mess around with. In other words how do I lock out transmit on non-ham freqs ? I can;t see any provision for this on chirp and until I do I ham hesitant to add anything beyond the freqs that I am authorized to use.

You can't in the VFO (Which is why I locked my VFO to the ham bands). In the channel memories, you set the txoffset (I believe is the field) to 0.000 for the memory. That will lock out transmission on that memory channel.

n2ize
01-30-2014, 08:39 AM
You can't in the VFO (Which is why I locked my VFO to the ham bands). In the channel memories, you set the txoffset (I believe is the field) to 0.000 for the memory. That will lock out transmission on that memory channel.

OK. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

KC2UGV
01-30-2014, 08:41 AM
OK. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Oh, and this is with CHIRP. I think you can use the factory software too, but not sure.

n2ize
01-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Oh, and this is with CHIRP. I think you can use the factory software too, but not sure.

From what I have heard chirp is a lot better than the factory software. One other question... Did you ever manage to get that flashlight LED on the top of the thing to turn on ? I can't figure out how you switch it on or off. Some people said to depress the orange call button on the side of the radio but what that does is engage the FM broadcast receiver. Not that it is that important but I was wondering how you get it to work.

KC2UGV
01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
From what I have heard chirp is a lot better than the factory software. One other question... Did you ever manage to get that flashlight LED on the top of the thing to turn on ? I can't figure out how you switch it on or off. Some people said to depress the orange call button on the side of the radio but what that does is engage the FM broadcast receiver. Not that it is that important but I was wondering how you get it to work.

Yes, I don't recall off hand, but I think you press the "Alarm" button however (Quick press. Long press activates the alarm). BTW, turn the alarm to "Site" mode, which will make the alarm not broadcast the alert signal, and instead will just do the audible alarm call.

kb2vxa
01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
You guys really post fast and I got lost in the sauce! Just a quick addendum FYI and then you can get back to "how to program a radio".

Re KC2UGV:
"You have to get it back. A court case in NYS already ruled that the radio itself wasn't contraband, and must be returned, no matter what, or you must be paid replacement (Not market) value."

That's a good and fair law considering what happened to a friend back in the daze. He had a tube type crystal controlled frequency synthesized CB in the car, the local po po confiscated it claiming it interfered with their radios. Their radio shop "examined" it trying to gather court evidence but when the case came to court it was dismissed for lack of evidence, of course. His lawyer succeeded in getting it returned BUT it was dead as the proverbial doornail. He opened it and lo and behold, diodes and resistors crushed, tubes missing, wires cut, the whole nine yards. There it ended, the court satisfied he got his property returned regardless of its condition.

We got even for that little gem plus some police harassment, but it's a long story and I'm sure you want to get back to where you left off.

n2ize
01-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Yes, I don't recall off hand, but I think you press the "Alarm" button however (Quick press. Long press activates the alarm). BTW, turn the alarm to "Site" mode, which will make the alarm not broadcast the alert signal, and instead will just do the audible alarm call.

On my particular radio the orange "call" button (above the PTT button) turns the FM broadcast radio on/off. If you hold the button down that silly alarm (for which I seen no purpose) will come on. Yes, I made sure I set it to "site mode" so that if I do accidentally trigger that alarm it won't go out over the air. The black "mon" button (below the PTT button) will open up the squelch of you hold it pressed for a couple of seconds. It is also supposed to turn on/off the flashlight LED if you press it quickly. But that doesn't happen on this particular radio. Either the flashlight doesn't work or they changed it to some obscure button press or sequence which they don;t make any mention of. Either way the flashlight it no important to me. It could come in handy but these days I amost always have an LED flashlight available so it's no problem.

W3WN
01-31-2014, 09:39 AM
Re UGV:

OK, all you New Yorkers go ahead and laugh. Everybody gets lucky once in a while and lucky you haven't been stopped by a cop with a bug up his backside... just tellin' ya.Wasn't there a case, about 10 years ago or so? I seem to recall reading about it on eHam.

Short story was that an out of state ham was busted by a cop over his 2 meter rig, over just that prohibition. Turned out that, IIRC, the law had a provision explicitly exempting licensed Amateur Radio operators... which the cop ignored, even though the ham presented his license. And in the first round of court hearings, the judge ignored that as well.

IIRC, it eventually got high enough in the appeals process that someone who actually had read the law reversed the conviction. Of course, this had cost the ham a good bit in terms of time and shekels.

n2ize
01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Wasn't there a case, about 10 years ago or so? I seem to recall reading about it on eHam.

Short story was that an out of state ham was busted by a cop over his 2 meter rig, over just that prohibition. Turned out that, IIRC, the law had a provision explicitly exempting licensed Amateur Radio operators... which the cop ignored, even though the ham presented his license. And in the first round of court hearings, the judge ignored that as well.

IIRC, it eventually got high enough in the appeals process that someone who actually had read the law reversed the conviction. Of course, this had cost the ham a good bit in terms of time and shekels.

Exactly what I mean. Even though the law exempts ham radio operators it still doesn't mean you are not going to get your radio confiscated, get a fine and/or get arrested or all three of the above. many cops are not familiar with ham radio and they see these portable and mobile radios as "illegal" devices that are likely being used to eavesdrop or cause interference with their bands. Al it takes is a traffic stop and next thing a cop is telling you to step ot of the car and asking you about the radio. Telling them you are a ham and showing them a license is not necessarily going to prevent the inconvenience and loss of having the radio confiscated (which you may never get back or be compensated for) plus the headache of being arrested. Yeah, ultimately you might win in court but still, you had to suffer the hassles of confiscation of your properly, arrest, monetary losses, time spent in jail, etc. And even if you prevail at the end you are going to think twice before you take your radio out of the house again. That is the problem with these knee jerk bans. Many cops are not aware of exemptions and they are not going to take your word for it out in the field.

I guess I take my chances when I travel as a mobile or even when I take a radio portable. At the very least I lock out or remove the cop and public service freqs before going mobile. They are easy enough to put back in or unlock. Not that it wlll solve anything but at least if I am stopped the cop won't hear his own radio blaring out of my radio. If I carry a HT portable I generally keep it out of plain sight and keep it turned off or the volume turned way down. Unfortunately lawmakers don't consider or care about the unintended consequences of the laws they so freely make and distribute.

KC2UGV
01-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Exactly what I mean. Even though the law exempts ham radio operators it still doesn't mean you are not going to get your radio confiscated, get a fine and/or get arrested or all three of the above. many cops are not familiar with ham radio and they see these portable and mobile radios as "illegal" devices that are likely being used to eavesdrop or cause interference with their bands. Al it takes is a traffic stop and next thing a cop is telling you to step ot of the car and asking you about the radio. Telling them you are a ham and showing them a license is not necessarily going to prevent the inconvenience and loss of having the radio confiscated (which you may never get back or be compensated for) plus the headache of being arrested. Yeah, ultimately you might win in court but still, you had to suffer the hassles of confiscation of your properly, arrest, monetary losses, time spent in jail, etc. And even if you prevail at the end you are going to think twice before you take your radio out of the house again. That is the problem with these knee jerk bans. Many cops are not aware of exemptions and they are not going to take your word for it out in the field.

I guess I take my chances when I travel as a mobile or even when I take a radio portable. At the very least I lock out or remove the cop and public service freqs before going mobile. They are easy enough to put back in or unlock. Not that it wlll solve anything but at least if I am stopped the cop won't hear his own radio blaring out of my radio. If I carry a HT portable I generally keep it out of plain sight and keep it turned off or the volume turned way down. Unfortunately lawmakers don't consider or care about the unintended consequences of the laws they so freely make and distribute.

And, just because the law states you need reasonable evidence to arrest someone for murder, we still arrest innocent people all the time. So, is your solution to get rid of laws against murder?

n2ize
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
And, just because the law states you need reasonable evidence to arrest someone for murder, we still arrest innocent people all the time. So, is your solution to get rid of laws against murder?

No, That is taking it to the extreme. Murder is a serious thing, a radio is not. There is a big difference between being a murder suspect versus being arrested for carrying a radio that you legally own and are licensed to operate. My point being, I understand that lawmakers enact these types of laws to protect the public but sometimes the unintended consequences can be far more severe and far reaching than what they were intended to protect people from, particularly when some of the persons enforcing the law are not fully aware of all its provisions and exemptions. . Yeah, I understand, in most cases this is not going to happen and, its just too bad for the individual, if I get arrested for carrying a legal radio that I am licensed to use and it causes me time, money, and severe anxiety that is my hard luck, society doesn't owe me anything. At the same time one cannot help but wonder if such are are necessary over something as petty as a radio. Murder however is a whole nother ballgame. Or, said a bit differently, not every law enacted is necessarily a good law. For example, marijuana is illegal and the laws against it were enacted to protect the public. Yet, is it necessary to arrest someone and give them a criminal record over something so petty ? The unintended consequences of such a law generally causes more harm than good. In the case of radio I feel that a person should be allowed to possess and carry a radio on their person and in their car, even if it is capable of receiving the police frequencies and I think the present laws are not good laws and should be repealed... much as the anti-marijuana laws should be repealed.

NQ6U
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Murder is a serious thing, a radio is not.

Say WHAT?? And you call yourself a ham...

K7SGJ
01-31-2014, 03:45 PM

Wow, I guess he isn't a contester.

kb2vxa
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
They'll have to pry my radio out of my cold..............

n2ize
01-31-2014, 06:17 PM

:lol: I can't believe I said that... I must be a very deranged ham to think that there is anything more important than radio... Any good ham radio psychiatrists out there... :lol:

K7SGJ
01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
:lol: I can't believe I said that... I must be a very deranged ham to think that there is anything more important than radio... Any good ham radio psychiatrists out there... :lol:

Sigmund Marconi ? Or, how about Edwin Howard Armstrong Freud?

KK4AMI
01-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Interesting. I couldn't sell my old Yaesu FRG-9600 for Sh@#, so I mounted it in my car under my ALINCO HF/6 meter transceiver just for grins. Checking the laws I lucked out, but not in all states.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2012/08/police-scanner-apps-may-be-criminal.html

kb2vxa
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Unless you're sexually obsessed with your mother you'd better find a better clinic than Sigmund, Freud And Associates.

n2ize
02-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Gave the Baofeng a bit of a workout portable wise last night. Seems to hold the repeater nicely and got good audio reports. So far, considering the low price, its not a bad little radio. Although my Yeasu is a better made handheld with more rugged construction there are some features on the Baofeng that I prefer to the Yaesu. For one the display on the Baofeng is nicer and the key pad is easier to see. On the Yaesu I do prefer some of the control features, such as the traditional adjustable squelch dial and the frequency dial that lets you dial through channels or frequencies. The Yaesu is also much easier to program via the keypad and it's easier to jump between alpha and freq displays. I also like the 3 power levels on the yaesu, low = 0.5 wat, medium = 1 watt and high = 5 watt and opposed to the Baofeng with 2 seectable power levels. The Baofeng is a dual bander, vhf/uhf where as the Yaesu is a monobander. My old Yaesu FT-470 was a true dual band receiver in that it could receive both vhf and uhf simultaneously and had an adjustable mixer control and, it could also function as a low power crossband repeater. The Boaofeng can monitor two frequencies at once but it will only receive one at a time. On the other hand my old Yaesu FT-470 Dual bander was state of the art for its time yet quite problematic. When it worked it was a great radio but there were some recurrent problems and twice it had to be shipped back to Yaesu for repairs. For under $40.00 I am very impressed with the Baeofeng. Far more impressed than I expected to be. If you are looking for a cheap, dual band , knock around radio that you can use to worh the VHF/UHF bands and, function as a public service scanner/monitor it's well worth picking one up.

kb2vxa
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I overlooked something so here I go like a poorly designed VFO drifting off frequency again. I just checked that "Are police scanner apps legal?" blog (like what dribbles out my nose when I have a cold) and after a few lines laughed myself silly and brought my silly with me.

Before I left the numskulls on Radioreference dot cum the biggest numskulls argued incessantly over it and several demanded RR discontinue contributors' scanner streams. Naturally the administrators told them to perform an impossible sexual act on themselves. They based their demands on various news articles that mentioned RR, the largest handler of scanner streams with the largest, most comprehensive and up to date database in the world protesting the practice saying it gives criminals a heads up so they can avoid the cops. All this is absolutely ludicrous, not only RR but most police streams (not others like railroad) are delayed up to half an hour. The cops now use encryption on some or all channels or unmonitorable data modes, but since there have been two way police radios they've used very effective methods to keep the crooks from hearing sensitive communications.

Oh, the difference between QRZoo and Radio Rat Face is the latter has a database I find useful from time to time, the former is entirely useless.

On edit; I followed a link on the page to another site and another article, check THIS out:
"While listening for activity you hear police are on their way to haul you to jail, so you speed off before they arrive and leave your buddy at the scene of the crime. Only to be pulled over and arrested for attempted arm robbery and on top of that, a misdemanor for using a Police Scanner illegally."
Never mind all that stupidity and the spelling error, THIS stupidity gives me the lulz. I'm still wondering if they tried to steal the pharmacist's gun or his arm!

n2ize
02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I overlooked something so here I go like a poorly designed VFO drifting off frequency again. I just checked that "Are police scanner apps legal?" blog (like what dribbles out my nose when I have a cold) and after a few lines laughed myself silly and brought my silly with me.

Before I left the numskulls on Radioreference dot cum the biggest numskulls argued incessantly over it and several demanded RR discontinue contributors' scanner streams. Naturally the administrators told them to perform an impossible sexual act on themselves. They based their demands on various news articles that mentioned RR, the largest handler of scanner streams with the largest, most comprehensive and up to date database in the world protesting the practice saying it gives criminals a heads up so they can avoid the cops. All this is absolutely ludicrous, not only RR but most police streams (not others like railroad) are delayed up to half an hour. The cops now use encryption on some or all channels or unmonitorable data modes, but since there have been two way police radios they've used very effective methods to keep the crooks from hearing sensitive communications.

Oh, the difference between QRZoo and Radio Rat Face is the latter has a database I find useful from time to time, the former is entirely useless.

On edit; I followed a link on the page to another site and another article, check THIS out:
"While listening for activity you hear police are on their way to haul you to jail, so you speed off before they arrive and leave your buddy at the scene of the crime. Only to be pulled over and arrested for attempted arm robbery and on top of that, a misdemanor for using a Police Scanner illegally."
Never mind all that stupidity and the spelling error, THIS stupidity gives me the lulz. I'm still wondering if they tried to steal the pharmacist's gun or his arm!

Agreed. RR is a good reference but they hay their share of idiots. And if RR didn't publish varios scanner feeds it is eary enough for crooks to figure out what freqs the local cops operate on. Besides, from what I gether most crooks rely on timing and speed... get in get out. They don;t depend on scanners. And, as you point out, there are many ways for the cops to thwart crooks with scanners should the cops suspect they are using them. Here in Yonkers thee cops have turned to one of those heavily encrypted systems which you cannot monitor. Even if a crook were to somehow steal a cop raduio they can simply brick the thing and it would be useless.

kb2vxa
02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
As the frequency continues to drift, another one of those undying monster threads is about encryption. My 2c worth is it's fine with me when a department only encrypts channels used for sensitive communications like surveillance or only at times those communications are carried on as the FCC intended and as many do. What annoys many such as myself is when they encrypt the entire system like they did in this one horse town where the last horse died when the automobile was invented and the crime of the century was some kids shooting BBs at store windows downtown.

"Even if a crook were to somehow steal a cop raduio they can simply brick the thing and it would be useless."
It's been done many times. Once in a while there's a news article about stolen police portables and it's a logical assumption the cops bricked them especially when they were used to interfere with or misdirect the police. Then right here there was a discussion about a kid messing with ambulances using his father's radio that was quickly recovered and returned to the father. Oh, shouldn't that be "a cop radidio" since some confuse all raduios with CBs? (;->)