PDA

View Full Version : First renewal..

KB3LAZ
01-26-2014, 03:15 PM
And what a pain it is turning out to be. I didn't have to sign up for an FRN when I got into the hobby one was sent to me automatically. Which means I never set up an account with the FCC but rather they sent me a letter with my FRN and generic password. Well, that was 10 years ago and it seems that I have the paper with my FRN but not my password. At least my parents couldn't find it with my paperwork. So, I sent in a request for a password reset. From my understanding, they will call my cell in 1-3 days to confirm who I am and then send me a new password in the mail.

Should have just sent in a damn 605...

kb2vxa
01-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Meh, reminds me of a riddle; what's the difference between a duck? One leg's each the same.

n0iu
01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
W5YI charges $8.00 to handle the renewal process for you. Send me $7.50 and I will do it for you. And yes, I take PayPal.

KB3LAZ
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
W5YI charges $8.00 to handle the renewal process for you. Send me $7.50 and I will do it for you. And yes, I take PayPal.

Think I'll just wait for a password to come in the mail. :P Then my parents can give me the pass and I can log in and renew.

KB3LAZ
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Holy shit, that was easy. My password request was taken care of in less than 24 hours. I have renewed, what an easy process as well. Now to wait and see when it updates.

People pay to do that? Honestly?

I was all worried for nothing.

kb2vxa
01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Computers work fast, with apologies to Bobby McFerrin.

Here I give you my password
When you crunch the numbers call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, I'm happy

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/dontworrybehappylyrics.html

KB3LAZ
01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Shows that I am good for another 10 years. Woot, that was quick.

W2NAP
01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
believe it or not, I have never renewed. I would have had to in 2010 but got a vanity in 2009 thus got "renewed" to 2019 then.

been a ham now for 14 years on 3/1/14. can't believe its been that long now.

K7SGJ
01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Shows that I am good for another 10 years. Woot, that was quick.

At least the license is good for another 10 years.

KB3LAZ
01-28-2014, 05:10 PM
At least the license is good for another 10 years.

Yeah, something like that. In another 10 years I will be stale and old. Yep, something like 36. Guess I will be growing mold by then.

kb2vxa
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
...where the hits just keep on coming. Now a moldy oldie from...

KG4NEL
01-29-2014, 01:06 PM
I paid W5YI (via QRZ) to do it.

Thankfully, that was a part of the website that does what it advertises... ;)

kb2vxa
01-29-2014, 05:15 PM
That's wrong on SO many levels. (:-#)

KB3LAZ
01-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Thankfully, that was a part of the website that does what it advertises... ;)

Oh god, why? Even after having to get a password reset for a 10 year old account that was setup without me and assigned a password that I never knew the process was so easy and so quick. Without having to do that it would have taken 30 seconds.

It was such a pleasant experience that W5YI should pay people to let him do it for them!

WØTKX
01-29-2014, 06:34 PM
People pay to do that? Honestly?

Technophobes in a technical hobby. Imagine that!

KB3LAZ
01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Technophobes in a technical hobby. Imagine that!

My grandpa told me to renew on the net as he had done. My grandpa can't check his email...Seriously, I thought it was gonna be a pain when I realized I didn't have a password. No trouble at all.

I'm not really much of the tech type myself. When ya'll rattle off about the inner workings of an OS my brains leak out through my ears even if just a little. I can install an OS and other programs. I know maybe enough to get into the windows folders I should leave alone and can mess up my PC. :P I can program an Icom and that is a pain for some. :D As for the mechanical side, I can solder on a PL-259 and managed to put the tubes in my amp without death occurring. All of that is pure mediocrity, at best, and I had no problem. I don't think the problem is technophobia.

kb2vxa
01-29-2014, 07:38 PM
"...and managed to put the tubes in my amp without death occurring."

Ah, but putting them in with the B+ on is an exciting challenge.

KB3LAZ
01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
"...and managed to put the tubes in my amp without death occurring."

Ah, but putting them in with the B+ on is an exciting challenge.

I'll take your word for it.

N2RJ
02-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I've been a ham for almost 17 years now and I've only renewed my license in 9Y.

N2NH
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
believe it or not, I have never renewed. I would have had to in 2010 but got a vanity in 2009 thus got "renewed" to 2019 then.

been a ham now for 14 years on 3/1/14. can't believe its been that long now.

This is 24 for me. By this time next year, I'll qualify for QCWA. Geratol here I come. ;)

W7XF
02-18-2014, 04:20 AM
This is 24 for me. By this time next year, I'll qualify for QCWA. Geratol 75 metre lumbago net here I come. ;)

Fixed!!

n0iu
02-18-2014, 11:10 PM

And just like the offer I made KB3LAZ, W5YI charges $8.00 to handle the renewal process for you. You could have sent me $7.50 and I would have done it for you. And yes, I take PayPal.

N2NH
02-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Fixed!!

:lol: Yah. They do a lot of medical stuff on that band... I think the worst is the rants over prostate exams. I think I'll brush up on my code and try 80...

Do I even want to know that they're talking about there?

W2NAP
02-19-2014, 01:05 AM
This is 24 for me. By this time next year, I'll qualify for QCWA. Geratol here I come. ;)

I got to wait till 2025, god will that be here fast.

koØm
02-20-2014, 09:36 AM
:lol: Yah. They do a lot of medical stuff on that band... I think the worst is the rants over prostate exams. I think I'll brush up on my code and try 80...

Do I even want to know that they're talking about there?

Speaking of yearly exams, I've had the same PCP for the last 20 years and he tells the same joke every year before he does his Digital Examination of my prostate; I'm bent over the table and, he says, "Melvin, I'm going to place one hand on your buttocks and then you will feel something cold on my finger as I insert it to check the size of your Prostate gland." He then pauses and says, "Now , if you feel both of my hands on your backside then, there might be something else going on....."

I was in the office on another occasion and, my PCP was out playing Golf (Wednesday!) so, I was seen by his associate; we were discussing my health records and he noticed that it was almost time for my yearly well-care examination. He offered to schedule and perform my yearly physical himself. I graciously declined his offer and told him, "Naw, I don't think so because I only "dance" with the same partner and, I'm accustomed to the joke that he tells".

XE1/N5AL
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Since we're talking medicine:

Several years ago, I did a month long tour of Europe with a group of tourists from Mexico and South America. One of the tourists was a doctor from Venezuela. He was a big guy ...not fat, just BIG! I'm sure his huge hands could easily palm a basketball.

So, one day, I overheard a conversation between two Mexican women on our tour:

Woman #1: What kind of doctor is he?

Woman #2: I don't know, but I sure hope he's not a gynecologist!

n0iu
02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Since we're talking medicine:

When our daughter graduated college, her mother and I decided the best thing we could do for her was to send her on a year long trip around the world. Before she left, we told her that if she should happen to fall in love with someone who would make her happy and provide her with a lifestyle to which she had become accustomed to, we would not object.

So a few months later she calls us and tells us to meet her at the airport to meet her new husband!

She gets off the plane and standing next to her is an African gentleman in full tribal dress.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-drjkr8l3UiM/Txi1uTlnmZI/AAAAAAAAIIE/JBf0JV9FuSg/s1600/witchdoctor1.jpeg

Her mother screams, "No sweetheart!! We told you to marry a rich doctor!!!"

kb2vxa
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
It could be worse, are you Jewish? (;->)

As far as prostate exams go, joke or no joke it's no laughing matter! I can put the next one off for a while (talk about things getting worse) since late last year I had that dreaded colonoscopy. Yeah, the actual procedure is no big deal I being asleep, what happens the day before is the problem!

Oh, that reminds me of the wartime pre-induction exams. For me the bad one was drawing blood, I soaked a few towels and left puddles on the floor. I never took the prostate exam, the doctor was a little too frisky with the balls and the guy ahead of me punched the doctor's lights out. I stepped over the body and hobbled on like Quasimodo on to the next room. Then came the eye exam, look into the machine and read the letters. What letters? Being blind with flat feet got me 1Y later reclassified 4F, that and my lottery number being 318 (also my HS home room number) saved me from coming home in a box. Oh and thanks Pete Seeger, Joe McDonald and Arlo Guthrie for some great songs, Bob Dylan had me worried for a while.

One last thing, even with a General you wouldn't find me on 75 in The Lumbago Net, I'd be in the AM window with my favorite AM Gangstas and WA1 Henry Yell Arrr who has been entertaining me since 1965. I'll never forget New Year's Eve 1970, The Night Of The Slimatron, a date that will live in infamy, with his Howaad Cosmell broadcash from Porkrot, Assolchewshits on 3885.

suddenseer
03-02-2014, 06:18 PM
This is 24 for me. By this time next year, I'll qualify for QCWA. Geratol here I come. ;)I qualified 13 years ago. I did not sign up. I went to a local chapter meeting, and those old coots scared the bejeebus out of me. There used to be the GERATOL net on 75M phone. I got WAS 75 phone in 2 weekends plus 4 cases of beer.