PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Build - Soma B-Side

NY4Q
01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Soma B-Side 650b - I took it out for its first spin today - got some adjusting to do on the shifting, but it sure rolls nice.

http://168.8.96.100/~pheaton/soma-b-side.jpg

WØTKX
01-26-2014, 03:46 PM
That looks real nice, how much does it weigh? Don't fall asleep on yer Soma! ;)

I have an ancient Marin, no shocks, a bit heavy. But it fits me very well, short legs, long back.

NQ6U
01-26-2014, 05:32 PM
With those skinny tubes, the frame must be steel.

kb2vxa
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Not necessarily. Some years back a friend built a mountain bike so light I could balance it indefinitely on one finger. It was the best ride ever, I had to look down to confirm there was a bike under me. Mountain bikes take a beating, you'd be surprised how strong titanium alloy is. Today my SUB, sport utility bicycle has a strong steel frame, wide seat and handlebars for comfort and twin baskets over the rear tire for hauling groceries. For the occasional wide load or overflowing baskets there are bungee cords. It's a big, heavy monster but rides nice and easy with gear ratios that fit the terrain and conditions.

NY4Q
01-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Well right now it's probably up near 30lbs, but that pack under the seat has about 5lbs of tools in it!

Steel frame - I was riding aluminum and while the stiffness is great in climbs, it was a bit bumpy for my frame descending fast or in singletrack (I have Psoriatic Arthritis).

I was riding a 26'r and this is a 27.5'r. I've ridden a 29'r but those are just a tad too large for me.

I've only ridden it once, but I look forward to comparing my times on some of the trails when I get used to it and get my fitness back some after this Winter.

I'd like to have a Ti frame, but that stuff is a hard on a feller's wallet.

KC2UGV
01-27-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm jealous :) Wont be riding for a couple of weeks at least here...

KB3LAZ
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Nice bike. I haven't rode a bike in...erm...well since I found out that you could get a bike with a motor. I probably should though. I've lost a good amount of weight and stopped smoking. Should do something to improve the cardio. My wife likes bicycles so maybe we will get into trail riding or something when I get back stateside. Trying to ride one here is a death wish!

It seems that we have a lot of people on the island that are really into bicycles. I would probably get a walmart special, lol.

WØTKX
01-27-2014, 07:35 PM
My Marin is about 32 lbs. I may add front shocks this year, and I have a package shelf over the back wheel that gets used.

I've rented some fancier bikes , like in Moab, but for the money a bike that fits really well is better, even if it's heavier.