PDA

View Full Version : Fist Prost...

N8YX
01-19-2014, 12:25 PM
From my Windows 7 upgrade/reconfig project.

Have a pair of older Shuttle mini-ATX cubes (3GHz P4; 2GB RAM) that were set up as radio control systems and were running XP. Into each I dumped a GeForce 6200 AGP video card, a Siig combo SATA/USB/Firewire PCI I/O card and an Intel 180GB SSD then loaded them up with Win7. MS' Virtual PC and "XP Mode" VM didn't quite seem to cut it with regards to host-to-guest serial IO so I got hold of VirtualBox, installed on each system then built XP-SP3 VMs on them.

After hours fiddling with recalcitrant USB-to-serial adapters, null modem cables and whatnot I finally have things talking. That is, the two BC996XTs...two Pro-2052s...and a KAM. I have a neat host-mode program for that TNC (XpWare for Windows) which will NOT install or operate on Win7 or above. Thus, it must be run "in the can" and connect to the TNC using guest-to-host bridging. There is a lot more to build yet, but this phase of the transition is done.

Come April I'll remove the guts of the desktop I usually post with then throw them into a spare server case along with a few other peripherals and firewall it off from the Internet. The system is still useful as a general-purpose I/O and media authoring platform but time (and the vulnerability landscape) marches on.

PA5COR
01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
First pros(it) then ;)

KK4AMI
01-19-2014, 04:12 PM
It would be nice to clean that up a bit.

"I have a neat host-mode program for that TNC (XpWare for Windows) which will NOT install or operate on Win7 or above."

Have you tried to install this on Windows 7 using the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" function. I've been able to get a lot of XP Drivers and printer software to be compatible with Windows 7. Not sure how it might work with more complicated 3rd Party software.

WØTKX
01-19-2014, 04:30 PM
I've been curious about those Shuttle mini boxes for quite a while...

N8YX
01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Have you tried to install this on Windows 7 using the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" function. I've been able to get a lot of XP Drivers and printer software to be compatible with Windows 7. Not sure how it might work with more complicated 3rd Party software.

Unfortunately, no...there are some 16-bit DLLs which simply will not copy and register properly in Win7, even when installed in Compatibility Mode. I'm not the first person who has run into this, and since the author isn't going to update the software then a VM is the best solution.

N8YX
01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I've been curious about those Shuttle mini boxes for quite a while...

Get this one, Dave:

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/models/sh67h3.html

Throw your favorite optical drive in the 5.25" bay and one of these in the 3.5" slot underneath:

Then load it up with an i7 of your choice, 32GB RAM and your favorite SATA-III SSD.

I'm going to build two of that particular model and look around for a decent dual-output PCI-e video card along with a 4-port RS232 card that incorporates 16550 or faster buffer technology or a dual-input sound card. These will be used for PSK, RDP to the other systems and general-purpose computing. The two existing SB51s will be bookshelved and run as headless, dedicated radio control platforms. They're built exactly as I described with regards to peripherals and I/O but can only take 2GB RAM. That seems to be enough if I don't go nuts with the VM resource assignments, but the SH67 builds ought to be able to handle several XP or Lunux VMs running simultaneously.