PDA

View Full Version : New Vertical!

N2CHX
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
So I just braved the elements for a couple of hours and put up a new vertical. What a difference in signal on 20 meters. It's not quite 1/2 wave, so I have to use a tuner with it. (No big deal to me). I just cobbed some shit together and got the tallest thing put together that I could. It's about 28 feet plus a top hat.

NOW let's try some 20 meter PSK or phone :)

WØTKX
01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I'll be home from skiing in about 2 hours or less. So, mebbe, if the band is still open.

N2CHX
01-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I'll be home from skiing in about 2 hours or less. So, mebbe, if the band is still open.

That'd be cool. Made a contact within 5 minutes of connecting it to the rig. Someone from Charles' neck of the woods :)

N8YX
01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Careful in this weather. You'll put your eye outfreeze your nippers off! :shock:

KG4CGC
01-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Because the best antennas are built in the freezing snow in January.
Did you beat the cold ground with a post hole digger?
Is that fiberglass?

N2CHX
01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
It's aluminum and copper.

I'm on 3.867 LSB calling CQ right now.

WØTKX
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Just got home. Local 3.868 gang is loud, and I'm part of the "OTH" bunch.

N2CHX
01-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Just got home. Local 3.868 gang is loud, and I'm part of the "OTH" bunch.

Yeah, some folks just kinda tuned up and took over while I was calling CQ :(

Will be back on later.

kb2vxa
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
The base of that vertical looks familiar. Is that from an old Hy Gain 5/8 wave CB antenna?

NY4Q
01-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I've been messing around a lot with JT65 & JT9; maybe I'll see ya on the waterfall!

KC9ECI
01-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Because the best antennas are built in the freezing snow in January.
Did you beat the cold ground with a post hole digger?
Is that fiberglass?

I thought about that yesterday morning when it was -20. I should have stripped naked, doused myself with water and ran outside to put up a new wire antenna. What with the windchill, that thing should have allowed me to work DXCC QRP in under an hour on 5 bands.

W3WN
01-07-2014, 09:41 PM
I thought about that yesterday morning when it was -20. I should have stripped naked, doused myself with water and ran outside to put up a new wire antenna. What with the windchill, that thing should have allowed me to work DXCC QRP in under an hour on 5 bands.Kinky. But if you really want to look like a Smurf, there are easier ways to turn yourself blue.

WØTKX
01-08-2014, 05:23 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_3GPuU5Rnyo/UG3DjBCv3lI/AAAAAAAAAlo/ErbOZv-hLRA/s1600/20143_CB_Operator_Smurf_B.jpg

N2CHX
01-08-2014, 08:14 AM
You guys crack me up.

The vertical is made of a 10 foot steel pipe that was pounded into the ground 4 years ago and only the last 5 feet is above ground. Clamped to that is a 10' piece of 1" copper pipe, using an old 2' long fiberglas insulator from a defunct broadcast transmitter as -- you guessed it, a base insulator. Attached to the top of the copper pipe is what used to be a 6 meter aluminum vertical that I've had kicking around for a decade and was missing half its parts. Yeah, dissimilar metals, I know. I don't expect this configuration to be permanent, but it's working really well right now...

W3WN
01-08-2014, 10:52 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_3GPuU5Rnyo/UG3DjBCv3lI/AAAAAAAAAlo/ErbOZv-hLRA/s1600/20143_CB_Operator_Smurf_B.jpgNice. I may just have to steal that for a future issue of the club newsletter.

W3WN
01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
You guys crack me up.

The vertical is made of a 10 foot steel pipe that was pounded into the ground 4 years ago and only the last 5 feet is above ground. Clamped to that is a 10' piece of 1" copper pipe, using an old 2' long fiberglas insulator from a defunct broadcast transmitter as -- you guessed it, a base insulator. Attached to the top of the copper pipe is what used to be a 6 meter aluminum vertical that I've had kicking around for a decade and was missing half its parts. Yeah, dissimilar metals, I know. I don't expect this configuration to be permanent, but it's working really well right now...Ya'know, there used to be an annual activity for people who made antennas out of... unexpected resources. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Kel, the important thing is: The damn thing works. Right?

If you're on tonight, I may keep an ear open. I snagged W1AW/4 SC last night, and W1AW/7 UT this morning, but I'm always looking for "backup" QSO's on a second or third band...

kb2vxa
01-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Oh noes, it looks like a picture you took at Winterfest!

I see, the crafty engineer at that now dark transmitter site used the mounting bracket of an old CB antenna for a base insulator, cool. I'm sure you'll find a more permanent solution to the dissimilar metals and I'm sure glad you now have a much better antenna for present activities. Unlike a certain broadcast engineer/ham I know you're more ham than engineer. Use whatever is on hand whenever possible, throw away the book and whatever works, no matter how illogical, is the HAM RADIO creed.

W9JEF
01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
You guys crack me up.

The vertical is made of a 10 foot steel pipe that was pounded into the ground 4 years ago and only the last 5 feet is above ground. Clamped to that is a 10' piece of 1" copper pipe, using an old 2' long fiberglas insulator from a defunct broadcast transmitter as -- you guessed it, a base insulator. Attached to the top of the copper pipe is what used to be a 6 meter aluminum vertical that I've had kicking around for a decade and was missing half its parts. Yeah, dissimilar metals, I know. I don't expect this configuration to be permanent, but it's working really well right now...

The dissimilar metals junction won't be that much of a problem

if you can manage to fashion a shim out of stainless steel. :)

KC9ECI
01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I snagged W1AW/4 SC last night, and W1AW/7 UT this morning, but I'm always looking for "backup" QSO's on a second or third band...

Speaking of which, I will be on as W1AW/0 Feb 2nd.

W3WN
01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Speaking of which, I will be on as W1AW/0 Feb 2nd.Looking forward to it.

I'm going to have to work W1AW/3 PA the first time around (every state gets two goes), with AA3B running the show. The second time will be K3LR. Yuck.