PDA

View Full Version : Worked PY3CEJ on 160

PA5COR
01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Worked Al on 160 PY3CEJ on 160 00.30 local time with our happy band of 160 peeps.
got 4/5 back from my signal.
6681.4 mi (10752.7 km) from my spot in the Netherlands here.
Not bad for some aluminium pipe and 3000 feet copper in the ground...and the 600 watts from the Heathkit SB-1000 might have helped a bit, didn't want to run the amp full out.

Reception here was on the homebrew amplified loop.
The day started well ;)

W3WN
01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
That's right. Rub it in.

PA5COR
01-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Nah, not rubbiing it in, i have a midle of the road station, just trying to work you guy's up to get cracking ;)

N2NH
01-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Nah, not rubbiing it in, i have a midle of the road station, just trying to work you guy's up to get cracking ;)

Brazil? Not bad. Wish we had their weather. And girls. And beaches... Good DXing.

W3WN
01-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Nah, not rubbiing it in, i have a midle of the road station, just trying to work you guy's up to get cracking ;)In light of this...
https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26948-It-s-Dead-Jim
... yes, it's rubbing it in. That was my 160 antenna that they took out!

PA5COR
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM
I feel for your loss of the 160 antenna.
Lost 2 earlier versions of the L through storms before i realised i had to get off my butt and build something that our climate and storms won't put to the ground with 60 miles per hour wind.
Hence he all new bomb proof one ( till it dies) that withstood the first 105 mile per hour winds in November.
That kind of windspeed is exceptional here, so it looks i did a good job after the first 2 fails....
I hope you can repair the damage fast and get the stuff together, now is the best time for DX on 160.

NQ6U
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Brazil? Hell, my log is full of Brazil stations. Piece of cake from here.

PA5COR
01-07-2014, 11:09 AM
LOL
Takes a bit more effort from my place, though the european and Russky stations are daily added into the log, even Asiatic Russky 8 - 9000 km away.
Strangest thing though i find it much easier to work Asiatic Russia as the USA which is a shorter distance and mostly over the ocean path.
One would expect the opposite...i'm not complaining, i scored my bunch of USA and Canadian stations on 160, but it always seems more difficult as the other way up...
5 0'clock in the evening now, darkness descends upon us waiting for the DX to start ;)

NQ6U
01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Asiatic Russia is also easy from here, second only to Japan in the number of Asian stations in my logbook. Europe is a tough area to work out of California and I still haven't managed a QSO with anyone in Africa. Gotten pretty close, the Canary Islands, but no one on the continent itself.

KJ3N
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Asiatic Russia is also easy from here, second only to Japan in the number of Asian stations in my logbook. Europe is a tough area to work out of California and I still haven't managed a QSO with anyone in Africa. Gotten pretty close, the Canary Islands, but no one on the continent itself.

Which do you value more? Warm climate, or DX? ;)

EU & Africa, no problem. JAs are always a treat, but I've worked enough at this point. My biggest headaches are SE Asia and China. The Pacific islands West of HI are always problematic, but that's more to do with activity from them, than anything else.

WX7P
01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm stuck in the corn desert. Sorry, I'm throwing my own pity party.

NQ6U
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM

DX, of course. One must keep his priorities straight.

EU & Africa, no problem. JAs are always a treat, but I've worked enough at this point. My biggest headaches are SE Asia and China. The Pacific islands West of HI are always problematic, but that's more to do with activity from them, than anything else.

I've worked a few SE Asia stations but there's not a lot of activity there other than in Indonesia. I was happy to get Cambodia a few weeks ago. Pacific islands aren't too bad but, as you said, not a lot of activity there either. I've worked six continents (including McMurdo Station on Antarctica, which got me all jazzed up) but still need Africa. Maybe I ought to put my 15m Moxon back up and aim it that way. I assume most of the ham radio activity on the continent is from South Africa?

W3WN
01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I feel for your loss of the 160 antenna.
Lost 2 earlier versions of the L through storms before i realised i had to get off my butt and build something that our climate and storms won't put to the ground with 60 miles per hour wind.
Hence he all new bomb proof one ( till it dies) that withstood the first 105 mile per hour winds in November.
That kind of windspeed is exceptional here, so it looks i did a good job after the first 2 fails....
I hope you can repair the damage fast and get the stuff together, now is the best time for DX on 160.Thanks.

Replacement aluminum is on it's way from Butternut.

What I need now is a relatively nice day to take the antenna down, and either repair it or replace it. Maybe Saturday, if it doesn't rain (40% probability right now)

Pardon my frustration. But there's just not a damn thing you can do... how does the saying go? You think you made something fool proof, and then a bigger fool comes along to prove you wrong...

KB3LAZ
01-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Neither! Cold weather without snow and ragchew. DX ragchew is fine.

PA5COR
01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Worked all contiinents from 10 down to 40 several times, that wasn't a biggie.
80 have to check think i miss one, most on the inverted L though
160 North and South America, Europe the lot all countries up to China, North Africa, Middle East, not really trying though.
I'm more the casual one not actively looking for DX, mostly i have to stumble upon it ;)
And i'm not prpared to leave my bed at 06.00 to chase possible DX too, hey i'm getting old and the bed is nice and warm then....

kb2vxa
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Congratulations on the 160M DX and let nobody tell you otherwise! Frankly I'd prefer a warm climate AND DX but I can't have cake and eat it too. Besides, cake makes a lousy antenna.

PA5COR
02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
He confirmed the QSO

2014-01-06 23:27:00
PY3CEJ (http://www.qrz.com/db/PY3CEJ/)
160m
SSB
GF49jv (javascript:sgrid('GF49jv');)
ALENCAR ALDO FOSSA
http://files.qrz.com/static/icons/16x16/star.png

Done. ;)

W9JEF
02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Loading 500 watts into my 80 m turnstile as an umbrella vertical
(fed against the powerline neutral and about 30 radials),
got me Christmas Island during the ARRL 160 meter CW Contest.

Between the League's and CQ 160 'tests worked all states except AK. :) :(

PA5COR
02-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Congrats!, doing a business fair now till thursday, not much radio till friday it is...
Another bunch of 10"5+ KM/H storms on their way....