PDA

View Full Version : SnowBLOWS

WX7P
01-05-2014, 03:19 PM

This is the look outside the window by my computer. That's supposed to be a driveway.

The photo doesn't capture the blowing snow out there. I've never seen drifty snow before, it didn't do that in Tulelake.

My friend N6LDP had a BBQ last night in the Bay Area. It was 70 degrees. Bastid.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Looks a lot like here.

WX7P
01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Looks a lot like here.

I shouldn't complain. You guys always get it a lot worse...

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 03:36 PM
72°F and sunny here at the moment. Want me to send you an orange off my tree?

WØTKX
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Doooodooodooo, looking out my back door. It's 9 degrees and dropping.

Oh, look, it's an "Elk". ;)

https://yfrk3g.blu.livefilestore.com/y2prvW01znpEo5G1eXBq47LL_UIIMjfvg5JvFKqDwslOQpuRWQ 5IIIu3uMyDv9LENN5KOURzK0_ei4DEX0ipX5QoeM-LutPodZFDxCIKFvzxLs/WP_001387.jpg?psid=1

KC9ECI
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Warmed up to -2 here. Similar snow cover. Schools have been cancelling Monday classes since Saturday night. I'm ready for summer. I'm much happier bitching about how hot it is.

KG4CGC
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I hate snow. It makes stupid people stupider. Get off my lawn.

n2ize
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Temperatures are gonne be up in the 50's. Gonna melt that sno and ice.

KC9SQR
01-05-2014, 06:58 PM
I hate snow. It makes stupid people stupider. Get off my lawn.

Ya know, I tried telling the snow to get the fuck off my lawn... It didn't work.. :(

It just sat there, with only a few flakes being compliant and blowing away, but quickly being replaced by more from neighboring yards...

I could try shooting at it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that all that's gonna accomplish is pissing my neighbors off, followed shortly after by some upset cops.. lol

VE7DCW
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
72°F and sunny here at the moment. Want me to send you an orange off my tree?

It's -2 Celsius and we have'nt seen snow in about 3 weeks.....looks like we're going to be a little cooler than normal in British Columbia this winter with a lack of precipitation for Vancouver Island! ........ it's acting like a La Nina winter.....but it's been neutral conditions around the world for 2 years now...... we had a very unusal past summer.....a very unusual fall.....now into a different type of winter for us!

Janet.....have you thought it might not have been the right idea to leave California? ......even for the weather alone?
They let Carl stay in the state....... that says a lot for what even the people of California are willing to put up with besides earthquakes and other natural disasters we hear about there from time to time :-D

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Is that a TEA BAG I see?

W7XF
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Janet....you're probably the only non-CDL holder in the Corn Desert that knows how to chain up...

KG4CGC
01-06-2014, 03:09 AM
Janet....you're probably the only non-CDL holder in the Corn Desert that knows how to chain up...

And work on diesels.

KG4CGC
01-06-2014, 03:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051ddIvQ2hI

w2amr
01-06-2014, 03:40 AM
57degrees @ 3:30 AM. Low tonight 6. WTF? over.

PA5COR
01-06-2014, 05:10 AM
+ 12 C here now some sunshine but windy, exceptionally warm here but that has been so the whole "winter" we had up to now....

W5BRM
01-06-2014, 08:29 AM
IM in Indianapolis. The truck thermometer reads -7. Temps supposed to be dropping. Online weather sites have the temp at around -10. Bunk heater is sorta keeping up. I have about 58 in the truck. Sat a cup of soda on the floor last night with ice in it and the ice is still there this morning....lol

WX7P
01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Sarah managed to drive her car into a snowdrift this morning at 5:45 AM. The car is stuck right in the middle of the road and AAA won't be able to get to it for another hour. The road to Bloomington is also closed.

Good times.

KC2KFC
01-06-2014, 09:13 AM
I never could understand people who say they love winter weather.

WØTKX
01-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Well, I know I'm frequently misunderstood. ;)

Winter Rocks!

Have you seen my QSL card? :lol:

KK4AMI
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM

This is the look outside the window by my computer. That's supposed to be a driveway.

The photo doesn't capture the blowing snow out there. I've never seen drifty snow before, it didn't do that in Tulelake.

My friend N6LDP had a BBQ last night in the Bay Area. It was 70 degrees. Bastid.

The best thing I see in that picture is a neighbor with a John Deere (hopefully with a plow). Is that a Tea Bag hanging there... ol buddy, ol compatriot? :lol:

N2CHX
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Brrrrr! It's once again colder than a sled-dog's butt outside.

WØTKX
01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Tea Bag at the door keeps 'em guessing?

Outdoor potpourri?

Or a suet bag for the birdies?

kb2vxa
01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Eh, the kid discovered how a snow making machine works. That's great left hand action, good exercise, but which hand does he use for midnight adventures?

"I never could understand people who say they love winter weather."
Then you're not a skier, you're missing the best part of the season... this.

WØTKX
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Cool, a telemarking ski bunny!

http://youtu.be/R_ZF39g1K3g

http://youtu.be/R_ZF39g1K3g

KC2KFC
01-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Eh, the kid discovered how a snow making machine works. That's great left hand action, good exercise, but which hand does he use for midnight adventures?

"I never could understand people who say they love winter weather."
Then you're not a skier, you're missing the best part of the season... this.
I stand corrected.

WX7P
01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
The best thing I see in that picture is a neighbor with a John Deere (hopefully with a plow). Is that a Tea Bag hanging there... ol buddy, ol compatriot? :lol:

That would be a finch sock, Mikademus. Keeps the cats entertained...

Actually, the guy next door got out the big shovel and did our driveway for his. Nice guy.

The bad part is I think I spun the main bearing on my Sable. Got the RPM to high in zero degree weather and now the car runs like shit.

W9JEF
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Back in Green Bay, in the '60's, Leo, W9VMZ (SK),

one of my fellow WJPG (now WNFL) transmitter engineers

told me that 20 degrees (F) was what he'd like it to be all the time.

A few years later, while shoveling snow, he died of a heart attack. :(

Our overnight low here was -3, and it's now sunny and +9 F.

N2CHX
01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
The view outside my office right now...

NQ6U
01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
View outside my back window right now...

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/photo-3.jpg

W9JEF
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM

We could tell you what you can do with that thermometer

...but it wouldn't be very comfortable. ;)

N2CHX
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
You may have warmth but you do not have my sexxxayness to keep you company :snicker:

w2amr
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
That would be a finch sock, Mikademus. Keeps the cats entertained...

Actually, the guy next door got out the big shovel and did our driveway for his. Nice guy.

The bad part is I think I spun the main bearing on my Sable. Got the RPM to high in zero degree weather and now the car runs like shit.
If you spun a main bearing I doubt if it would be running at all. It's more likely you broke a valve spring or something.

NQ6U
01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
If you spun a main bearing I doubt if it would be running at all. It's more likely you broke a valve spring or something.

I concur—if you had spun a bearing, it would be making some fairly loud, unpleasant noises. Don't ask me how I know about this. Valve spring or, if it's not an OHC engine, a bent pushrod.

WX7P
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I concur—if you had spun a bearing, it would be making some fairly loud, unpleasant noises. Don't ask me how I know about this. Valve spring or, if it's not an OHC engine, a bent pushrod.

Thanks to both of you for the input.

I did some more research, and the valve spring appears to be a likely suspect. I'm going to have it looked at tomorrow.

I'm not going to take any chances especially in this weather. I'm going to have it towed. That'll be two AAA service calls in 2 days!

NQ6U
01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
But, in the end, I put it here just so we don't bring that freakin' zombie back to life.

Polar Vortex Causes Hundreds of Injuries as People Making Snide Remarks About Climate Change Are Punched in Face

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/01/polar-vortex-causes-hundreds-of-injuries-as-people-making-snide-remarks-about-climate-change-are-pun.html#entry-more))—The so-called polar vortex caused hundreds of injuries across the Midwest today, as people who said “so much for global warming” and similar comments were punched in the face.

Authorities in several states said that residents who had made ignorant comments erroneously citing the brutally cold temperatures as proof that climate change did not exist were reporting a sharp increase in injuries to the face and head regions.

In an emergency room in St. Paul, Harland Dorrinson, forty-one, was waiting to be treated for bruising to the facial area after he made a crack about how the below-freezing temperatures meant that climate-change activists were full of shit.

“I’d just finished saying it and boom, out of nowhere someone punched me in the face,” he said. “This polar vortex is really dangerous.”

The meteorology professor Davis Logsdon, of the University of Minnesota, issued a safety warning to residents of the states hammered by the historic low temperatures: “If you are living within the range of the polar vortex and you have something idiotic to say about climate change, do not leave your house.”

kb2vxa
01-06-2014, 06:41 PM
"Brrrrr! It's once again colder than a sled-dog's butt outside."
Well tan my hide! Kelli is the Buffalo version of Lizard Lickin' Ron Shirlay.

"That would be a finch sock."
Have pin will post.

"View outside my back window right now..."
Have gun will travel.

"You may have warmth but you do not have my sexxxayness to keep you company."
Uh oh.

"The bad part is I think I spun the main bearing on my Sable."
That sucks.
"I did some more research, and the valve spring appears to be a likely suspect."
I sure hope so, a crank shaft bearing replacement costs more arms and legs than you have. That reminds me of my '73 Impala, one day on a local highway (thankfully not in Lower Petuch) I heard a loud bang and knew instantly what it was, lost a rocker arm. I removed the valve cover and found the shattered remains of the one that actuated the exhaust valve so to prevent serious damage I removed the other one. A dead cylinder is quieter than one trying to exhaust with a closed valve BTW. I found the same 350 engine outside a shop, no rust, and got permission to remove the rockers. I changed mine so they all had the least wear, set the clearances, problem solved.

How sad, today's cars killed the Saturday driveway mechanic. Hey, I could rewrite Video Killed The Radio Star but 1971 has come and gone.

VE7DCW
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM

Yeah....... that's about one of the easiest thermometers to "fix" .....:mrgreen: 20 degrees C .....my ass!

(I only say this Carl because it did'nt get above 2 degrees C here today and we are looking at another -3 night like last night that somehow makes this house feel cold despite the fact the electric heaters are going full!)

I paid about a thousand bucks to blow hugh amounts of insulation into the attic last year as well!

kb2vxa
01-06-2014, 09:57 PM
I hope you have humidifiers going full too. Electric heat is dry heat that sucks moisture from everything, your skin, nose and sinuses, furniture, woodwork, the lot. Once upon a time a girlfriend and I rented a time share lakeside "chalet" in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania with electric baseboard heat and all the wood was dry and cracked. Good thing it was summer or we would have ended up the same way. Since then PSE&G prices shot through the roof, electric heat was disconnected and propane fired heat, hot water and stoves installed. Sorry, in rural areas there is no natural gas except mine when we were there, but it's not the best gas to cook with.

W9JEF
01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I hope you have humidifiers going full too. Electric heat is dry heat that sucks moisture from everything, your skin, nose and sinuses, furniture, woodwork, the lot. Once upon a time a girlfriend and I rented a time share lakeside "chalet" in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania with electric baseboard heat and all the wood was dry and cracked. Good thing it was summer or we would have ended up the same way. Since then PSE&G prices shot through the roof, electric heat was disconnected and propane fired heat, hot water and stoves installed. Sorry, in rural areas there is no natural gas except mine when we were there, but it's not the best gas to cook with.

Here in rural Northwest Arkansas, we do have natural gas.

Which is a blessing, especially during a power outage;

the Great Ice Storm of '09 blacked us out for 6 days,

but we still had heat. :)

K0RGR
01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
It's 1 above zero right now, with a wind chill of -13. It feels like springtime compared to what we've had the last few days. I actually stood outside enjoying the 'warm' breeze for a while.

As reported elsewhere, we were colder than Mars and the South Pole out here on the frozen tundra yesterday. I am not missing it. It may rain on Friday - just what we don't need. I'd be happy enjoying ham radio right now, but all of a sudden, I have a horrendous noise on the lower HF bands. I sure hope the old lady next door didn't get a plasma TV for Christmas. It's S9 even on the antenna that's over 100' from anything else.

kb2vxa
01-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Mars weather I can live with hibernating in the back of my bear cave but a plasma TV... NO DICE! Those things not only radiate, but the AC mains become a big antenna. Worse yet, if you're on the same pole pig the hash is conducted right into your house... or maybe you already knew that.

W2NAP
01-10-2014, 04:35 AM
remember when moving that snow crap out of the way... 1 wrong move can make for a very bad day. and a back that will hurt for weeks.