PDA

View Full Version : Jet Flame Lighters

n2ize
01-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I recently bought anexpensive jet flame lighter. Although I don't smoke I figures it is a handy thing to have a portable device that produces a hot blue jet torch flame on demand. So far I like it. In the winter it's great for relighting my pocket warmer outdoors in wind. It has already come in handy for that twice. I was having some trouble with it yesterday as it would notignitye. But I managbed to fix that problem by adjusting the flame height valve. I also had trouble filling it but I was using an old butane can with a faulty top. A new can of Ronson butane solved that problem and I got it filled to the top. Third problem is the flip top cap that covers the burner when its not in use. The little pin came out and the top came off. However I was able to fix that with a paper clip. Since it is a cheap model I don;t know how long it will last. So far though it is pretty good and much like a pocket knife it is a handy device to carry around.

Since I like the device I was thinking of eventually buying a better quality. I was looking around on line and for $20.00 and up they have some nice looking models, some with multiple jets. Wonder if anyone uses these types of torches and, if so, what is a good reliable brand.

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's my Jet Flame Lighter:

http://defense-update.com/images/f135.jpg

Anything less is for wimps.

n2ize
01-04-2014, 02:27 PM

You must be pretty strong to cartry that thing around with you... LOL :lol:

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 02:32 PM
You must be pretty strong to cartry that thing around with you... LOL :lol:

Yeah, but it's guaranteed to light anything in any conditions. Usually, though, I just end up lighting my hair on fire.

W3WN
01-04-2014, 02:42 PM

I was always partial to this one, ever since I was a kid
http://dupontregistry.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/flamethrower.jpg

KG4CGC
01-04-2014, 03:47 PM
In a pinch, you can use them to solder wires.

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Ah yes, the prototype of the 1955 Lincoln Futura that never saw production, but in 3 weeks in 1965 it was tweaked into the first Batmobile. Batman not only drove it, he also used for his batlighter. Here it is with Nomad looking on getting ready to sterilize Batman and Robin. Here it is again sterilizing the Enterprise a couple of centuries later.

WØTKX
01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
http://youtu.be/zGpEDZ1vqaE

http://youtu.be/zGpEDZ1vqaE

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
In cartoons anything is possible, including dead characters coming back to life in the next one. So where is Brian?

KG4CGC
01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
<snip> So where is Brian?

humping
your
leg

n2ize
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Put a clean flame on it. Like the flame you get from an old Zippo with the wick pulled way up.

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
With gasoline in it! <cough> <choke> I ran out of naphtha once......

n2ize
01-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Yeah. You could also use "white gas" which is basically naphtha. In this very cold weather I carry around one of those old fashioned flame-less "Jon-e pocket warmers" that were popular among hunters, fishermen and outdoors-men in the 1940's and 50's. . It burns naphtha (white gas) but instead of a flaming wick it uses a small platinum catalytic burner. It will run 8-12 hours per filling but I generally don't run it for that long, I extinguish it when i am indoors and put a plastic seal over it to keep the residual naphtha from evaporating. I generally run it on Ronsonol lighter fluid but it will burn just as well on almost any fuel with a high percentage of naphtha. One of it's biggest problems is that it tends to go out every so often and, when you are outdoors in winter it's next to impossible to relight it as the wind blows out a conventional match or cigarette lighter or the starter wick. This is where the jet flame lighter comes in handy. The jet flame lighter burns with a hot blue cone shaped flame that can be aimed in any direction, even upside down and it stays burning even in some pretty heavy wind. If the warmer goes out all I need to do is take the cover off and fire the jet flame lighter at the burner for 5 or 10 seconds and ... viola' it is relit. The jet flame torch lighter makes a task that was impossible to do outdoors with conventional ignition sources a cinch. It is the best portable ignition source to come along since the Zippo windproof lighter. And for the most part with it's hot blue torch flame it's better and more reliable for a wide range of outdoor ignition needs. As long as you keep it filled wth butane it's always ready to go.

n2ize
01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
In cartoons anything is possible, including dead characters coming back to life in the next one. So where is Brian?

How many times did that coyote fall off that 10,000 foot ledge hitting the ground so hard that he formed an impact crater and then just climbed out and was back on the chase ?

kb2vxa
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah. You could also use "white gas" which is basically naphtha.

Er, no. Amoco Premium aka white gas because it has no branding dye was the only unleaded gasoline before the latter was banned. That's what I put in the lighter from the lawnmower filling can.

n2ize
01-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Yeah. You could also use "white gas" which is basically naphtha.

Er, no. Amoco Premium aka white gas because it has no branding dye was the only unleaded gasoline before the latter was banned. That's what I put in the lighter from the lawnmower filling can.

I am speaking of the other kind of "white gas". Sometimes it's sold in hardware stores as Coleman fuel. Naphtha btw is a mixture of hydrocarbons distilled over a range of temperatures. various hydrocarbon mixtures fall under the category of naphtha. Naphtha is also a component of quality gasoline.

Yeah, I remember Amoco unleaded. Back in the old days Amoco (American) was the only gasoline my father would put into his car. In my old snowthrower there was a label that said "leaded gas only". When leaded gas was
no longer available I used to have to buy a lead additive. My new snowthrower has a similar label except that it says "regular unleaded gas only".

Sometimes we would fill wick type lighters with benzene. And it worked well too. In fact on the benzene cans one of the recommended uses was as a cigarette lighter fuel. But it didn't work very will in the old "Jon-e" pocket warmers. In fact it would foul up the catalytic burners. For those then and now I just use Ronsonol, Zippo fuel, Coleman fuel or naphtha from the hardware store. These days it's rare to find benzene. It fell out of favor due to its carcinogenic potential.

kb2vxa
01-11-2014, 06:29 AM
I never heard Coleman fuel called white gas, you should have called it Coleman fuel in the first place. I saw lead additive too but never used it, when unleaded regular came out (regular is always cheaper) that's what I put in the car, bye bye lead fouling. Since octane went up to balance the anti knock properties of lead it didn't matter. Before benzine fell out of favor, on my first job in 1968 we used it to remove epoxy from reclaimed/recycled, the failed 1 & 2lb non refillable fire extinguishers we made. Of course it had to be removed before it set. Once upon a time I scared the shit out of the boss when I put a cigarette out in it and everybody laughed, except him. No big deal, you'd have to do something far worse to get fired from that sandbox.

Oh, since Coleman fuel was too expensive we used Amoco in the stove and lantern without any problems. Why buy Coleman when you're on the road and would have to go searching for a sporting goods store when all you have to do is pull into an Amoco station?

n2ize
01-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I never heard Coleman fuel called white gas, you should have called it Coleman fuel in the first place.

The local vernacular varies from place to place and person to person. Some call it "white gas". Others call it "naptha" Some call it "Coleman gas" and some call it "camping gas". Either way it's mainly naptha. Many coleman lanterns and stoves are designed such that they will run on Coleman fuel or on unleaded gasoline. In fact Coleman uses this fact as a selling point for many of its camp stoves and lamps. Round here I never used a gas mantle type lantern. I always used the old fashioned wick type kerosene lanterns outdoors and the old style oil lamps indoors. Every now and then they get pressed back into service. For instance after Hurricane Sandy they were in service here for close to a full week and I was running low on kerosene. No wonder they call them "Hurricane lamps". These days LED emergency lamps are becoming so practical and efficient that I probably won't need the oil lamps next time round. The LED lamps are much safer too. But there is something kind of "quaint" about doing desk work by the light of an old cylindrical wick oil lamp.

I saw lead additive too but never used it, when unleaded regular came out (regular is always cheaper) that's what I put in the car, bye bye lead fouling. Since octane went up to balance the anti knock properties of lead it didn't matter. Before benzine fell out of favor, on my first job in 1968 we used it to remove epoxy from reclaimed/recycled, the failed 1 & 2lb non refillable fire extinguishers we made. Of course it had to be removed before it set. Once upon a time I scared the shit out of the boss when I put a cigarette out in it and everybody laughed, except him. No big deal, you'd have to do something far worse to get fired from that sandbox.

You put a cigarette out in benzine !!! You are crazier than me when it comes to flammables...LOL. I know it can be done if you dunk it fast as it;s the vapors mixed with oxygen that ignite. But I'd be a bit scared to try it myself.,.,.

Oh, since Coleman fuel was too expensive we used Amoco in the stove and lantern without any problems. Why buy Coleman when you're on the road and would have to go searching for a sporting goods store when all you have to do is pull into an Amoco station?

Yep. And these days that is one of Coleman's selling points. Most of their stoves and equipment can accomodate unleaded gas.

kb2vxa
01-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Ah yes, the hurricane lamp, not to be confused with a hurricane torch that when removed from the bracket makes a good Molotov cocktail. I don't know why they call them hurricane lamps when I know them as railroad lanterns. Those with red lenses were hung on the rear of the caboose before the days of fixed red lamps and carried back along the track behind a stalled train to stop following traffic in "dark territory", no electric signals, or anywhere before they were invented. Yeah, leave it to a railfan.

Back in West Creek, NJ which is quite rural where branches easily bring down power lines and in days past power went out frequently in lightning storms we were well equipped like everybody else. The floor gas furnace, common here at the shore, with an electric thermostat that mysteriously has no connection to mains power and no battery. This was backed by a wood stove and we had kerosene lanterns that were only used occasionally for atmosphere, I used the kero for lighting the wood stove to save gas. It's ideal because it lights up slow and allowed to soak into the split logs we used it lasted long enough to ignite them without kindling.

Undoubtedly I'm crazier, but for other things I did in my feckless youth like putting a propane cylinder on top of some sticks and leaves and setting it on fire back in the woods. I retreated to a safe distance but hadn't counted on the explosion scattering burning sticks all over the place starting more fires than I could put out. Needless to say I got the heck out of there before the fire department arrived. As for the benzine, it was in a shallow dish in a well ventilated area, plus the fact it's not all too volatile so no fumes to ignite. That reminds me of a joke.

Back in the days of hub caps which dates this joke a man was driving past an insane asylum when he got a flat. He pulled over to put on the spare when an inmate came over by the fence and stood there watching him. He put the lug nuts in the hub cap and as he was walking to the trunk to get the spare kicked it sending the lug nuts down the storm sewer grate. He was all bewildered wondering what to do when the inmate told him to take one nut off each of the three other wheels and use them to fasten the spare. The man asked the inmate how he knew to do this to which he replied "I'm in here because I'm crazy, not for being stupid."

n2ize
01-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Ah yes, the hurricane lamp, not to be confused with a hurricane torch that when removed from the bracket makes a good Molotov cocktail. I don't know why they call them hurricane lamps when I know them as railroad lanterns. Those with red lenses were hung on the rear of the caboose before the days of fixed red lamps and carried back along the track behind a stalled train to stop following traffic in "dark territory", no electric signals, or anywhere before they were invented. Yeah, leave it to a railfan.

I never heard of the railroad lenterns or the outdoor lanterns referred to as "hurricane lamps". I always heard the term "hurricane lamps" defined as the glass lamps with the fluted chimneys that were commonly used indoors. Don't know where the term "hurrican lamps" came from as they were used for general purpose indoor lighting in the old days. Perhaps is was a later term derevied after the days when electricity became more common, from the fact that at that point they were generally used when the electricity went out...a common effect of hurricanes. Don't know for sure. I remember seeing kerosene signal lanterns being used by track workers in the NYC Subway System well into the 1970's.

Back in West Creek, NJ which is quite rural where branches easily bring down power lines and in days past power went out frequently in lightning storms we were well equipped like everybody else. The floor gas furnace, common here at the shore, with an electric thermostat that mysteriously has no connection to mains power and no battery. This was backed by a wood stove and we had kerosene lanterns that were only used occasionally for atmosphere, I used the kero for lighting the wood stove to save gas. It's ideal because it lights up slow and allowed to soak into the split logs we used it lasted long enough to ignite them without kindling.

I've been spoiled by living in areras where our power rarely goes out. yeah, kerosene has a higher flash point and doesn't ignite violently as gas. In fact i have used kero as charcoal ligher.

Undoubtedly I'm crazier, but for other things I did in my feckless youth like putting a propane cylinder on top of some sticks and leaves and setting it on fire back in the woods. I retreated to a safe distance but hadn't counted on the explosion scattering burning sticks all over the place starting more fires than I could put out. Needless to say I got the heck out of there before the fire department arrived. As for the benzine, it was in a shallow dish in a well ventilated area, plus the fact it's not all too volatile so no fumes to ignite. That reminds me of a joke.

Reminds me of some kids I observed who happened to find an old propane cylinder laying in a vacant lot among scattered junk & debris. They were eagerly leaning over it attempting to breach the cylinder by hammering it with rocks. On the return trip i spotted them and they were still hammering away. As i passed (walking by) they apparently breached the cylinder and a loud hisss of escaping gas could be heard throughout the general area. One kid screamed "SHIT...IT'S GONNA EXPLODE !!" and they booked the hell outta there scared shitless. As the gas escaped and I walked along thinking too myself how lucky they were their actions didn't induce even a tiny spark else they would have unleashed an untamed flamethrower or... perhaps even one huge... KABOOM !!

Back in the days of hub caps which dates this joke a man was driving past an insane asylum when he got a flat. He pulled over to put on the spare when an inmate came over by the fence and stood there watching him. He put the lug nuts in the hub cap and as he was walking to the trunk to get the spare kicked it sending the lug nuts down the storm sewer grate. He was all bewildered wondering what to do when the inmate told him to take one nut off each of the three other wheels and use them to fasten the spare. The man asked the inmate how he knew to do this to which he replied "I'm in here because I'm crazy, not for being stupid."
[/quote]

LOL... As Timtron would say... NIce One !!!

kb2vxa
01-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Lanterns and indoor kero lamps are both called hurricane lamps so we're boh right. I've also heard those Tiki torches used at luaus referred to as hurricane torches so confusion is easy to come by.

Right, kerosene signal lanterns were used into the 70s and not only by subway workers. Kerosene switch heaters were still around too, railroaders are thankful those messy and maintenance intensive things were replaced by propane and electric. When snow gets too much for them mobile switch heaters come out, flamethrowers and the newer jet engines like the picture I posted in another thread a while back. Then there were those kerosene "bombs" used along with saw horses to protect road and buried utility repair sites that later were replaced by battery powered flashers. I called them bombs because of the strong resemblance to that round, black bomb in cartoons that was actually an early hand grenade. Those flashers were interesting devices, two 6V lantern batteries in the main compartment lasted next to forever with the short flashes of a low current bulb physically resembling the classic #47 in boat anchor radios. Kids stole them and put those cool looking things in their rooms when they figured out how to get the nut and bolt that required a special tool (;->) off that mounted them to the horse. Sometimes I write from experience........

Trying to smash a propane cylinder with rocks is as dumb as my putting one in a fire. They better not try that on my lawn!

Timtron, entertaining hams and SWLs since 1965 and still going strong! These days he looks like Grizzly Adams, some say more like the bear.