PDA

View Full Version : Icom 730 question...

N2CHX
01-02-2014, 10:08 PM
So the rig arrived today. It's in practically perfect condition. Everything seems to work, except I have one question for anyone who has used this rig before...

The tuning has three rates: 1 kHz, 100 Hz & 10 Hz. When I switch between those, the frequency displayed, as expected, changes in those increments (except you can't tell with 10 Hz because the display resolution is 100 Hz, but anyway...)

The display changes as it should, but weirdly, the frequency seems to only change in 1 kHz. steps. In other words, if I tune from 14.100.0 to 14.100.9 (900 Hz), there is no change in the received signal, but as soon as the display changes to 14.101.0, it shifts up 1 kHz.

Is this normal for this radio or is there something wrong? Probably a stupid question because I don't think it's normal, but I also wonder if there isn't some switch I need to flip that I am overlooking, rather than there actually being something wrong with the radio.

Thoughts?

W3WN
01-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Kel,

I don't know if this pertains to the IC-730, but I do recall that rigs of a certain era would sometimes require a minor change to display that extra digit (.1 kHz in this case) of precision.

I also see some pictures of the rig on Universal Radio's site, and it shows a .1 kHz digit. Is it possible that your rig's display is simply not showing this digit for some reason?

N2CHX
01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Kel,

I don't know if this pertains to the IC-730, but I do recall that rigs of a certain era would sometimes require a minor change to display that extra digit (.1 kHz in this case) of precision.

The 730 was designed with the 100 Hz. display resolution. But the problem isn't the display, it's the fact that the receiver will only tune in 1 kHz steps. The rate of tuning displayed and the rate of which the tuning changes with each rotation of the knob is consistent with the tuning rate selected, but the actual frequency only jumps in 1 kHz increments no matter how the rate switches are set. In other words, you can change the tuning from 14.100.0 to 14.100.9 and the signal doesn't change at all. You'd expect to hear it jump up in 10 Hz steps if you have the rate set to 10 Hz, but it doesn't do that. The actual signal only changes every 1 kHz.

N2CHX
01-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Well, I've determined that this is NOT normal (duh!) and I've begun some troubleshooting before I even open up the cover. Unless the C & D outputs of the processor chip are both bad (unlikely), the problem could be as simple as a bad solder joint on a 2 pin plug (J7 on the logic board), a bad wire/connector related to that, a bad or dirty 10k pot (R93), or a bad 4558 op-amp. Those are the only things common to losing data from both the 10 Hz and 100 Hz control to the oscillator that provides those frequency steps. In any case, likely a very simple fix. I will open the case sometime this weekend and get to the bottom of it.

I've also ordered parts for the 20 amp power supply that KJ3N generously sent my way awhile back... For now, I'm running the rig off a car battery.

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Good luck with the 730, don't you miss the good old fashioned VFO you could zero beat with no fuss no muss? (;->) You're a ham after my own heart, my first power supply was a car battery and 4A regulated Rat Shack supply on 24/7 in the closet, out of sight, out of mind. True to ham tradition, whatever works.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Good luck with the 730, don't you miss the good old fashioned VFO you could zero beat with no fuss no muss? (;->) You're a ham after my own heart, my first power supply was a car battery and 4A regulated Rat Shack supply on 24/7 in the closet, out of sight, out of mind. True to ham tradition, whatever works.

The only radio I ever owned that had a VFO instead of crystals or microprocessor/PLL control was the Atlas 210x. Decent radio but very drifty with temperature and vibration, which is why I gave it up. Too drifty to reliably do PSK. My early radios were al crystal controlled. Ah, except the HW-101. I almost forgot I had one of those. Anyway, I operated with a Viking Challenger and a Heathkit GR-81 as a transmitter/receiver pair for years when I as first licensed.

As for the car battery, yes, I keep it trickle charged with two 10 watt solar panels :)

W2NAP
01-03-2014, 07:41 AM
I am reminded again why I need to get my HF antenna up.

KC2UGV
01-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Dumb question: If there a "Ham" button, or "Fast" button? I know my FT840 has "Ham Band" which sets the bands to the ham bands, and tunes in 10Hz steps. Push it again, and it defaults to the broadcast bands, and moves in 100KHz steps. Fast makes every slight bump on the knob move by 100KHz.

WX7P
01-03-2014, 09:04 AM
So the rig arrived today. It's in practically perfect condition. Everything seems to work, except I have one question for anyone who has used this rig before...

The tuning has three rates: 1 kHz, 100 Hz & 10 Hz. When I switch between those, the frequency displayed, as expected, changes in those increments (except you can't tell with 10 Hz because the display resolution is 100 Hz, but anyway...)

The display changes as it should, but weirdly, the frequency seems to only change in 1 kHz. steps. In other words, if I tune from 14.100.0 to 14.100.9 (900 Hz), there is no change in the received signal, but as soon as the display changes to 14.101.0, it shifts up 1 kHz.

Is this normal for this radio or is there something wrong? Probably a stupid question because I don't think it's normal, but I also wonder if there isn't some switch I need to flip that I am overlooking, rather than there actually being something wrong with the radio.

Thoughts?

I've had two of those rigs in the past. I think I might have a manual and schematic lying around here.

I'll send them to you if you want them.

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Oh no, I'm reminded of my Viking 1 with (sexy) mating VFO modified for PSK stored in a ham friend's basement that I had to abandon when I sold my boat anchors to downsize the shack having moved into cramped quarters. Kel, lucky yours wasn't Meisner Signal Drifter that QSYed all by itself. Crapstals, I remember them well, those FT-243s we ground or "leaded" to shift frequency or rubberized with padder caps. I used a couple of 8MHz ones along with the mating VFO to my Gonset Communicator 2, the old reliable Clegg design for 15W of 2M AM. Since they don't make them anymore, I had 4 HC-17 ones made for my RCA Car Fone 60W VHF base transceiver I modified for 2M FM. I stuck them in the octal oven sockets and dispensed with the ovens since they were stable enough without them. You may recognize it if you've seen The Blob starring Steve McQueen, it's the one in Phoenixville, PA police headquarters the sergeant on the overnight used to play radio chess with his counterpart in Doylestown which shared the frequency. (This was before PL, hi.)

A couple of 10W solar panels, ah, green power. (;->)

"If there a "Ham" button, or "Fast" button?"
I don't know, but Fat Ham buttons abound at any hamfester. We all know about festering hams at the roach coach, the circuit behind the button.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Dumb question: If there a "Ham" button, or "Fast" button? I know my FT840 has "Ham Band" which sets the bands to the ham bands, and tunes in 10Hz steps. Push it again, and it defaults to the broadcast bands, and moves in 100KHz steps. Fast makes every slight bump on the knob move by 100KHz.

Like I said in the OP, there are three buttons for tuning increments of 10 Hz, 100 Hz and 1 kHz. The 1 kHz tuning uses a different oscillator that is mixed and then the 100 Hz and 10 Hz rates use a second oscillator that is also mixed in. The frequency is varied by using a binary step output from the microprocessor, which is then sent to a resistor network/adder to the input of the op-amp. The output of the op-amp is a control voltage that controls the oscillator frequency. Something is non-functional between the 8 bit output of the processor and the oscillator.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I've had two of those rigs in the past. I think I might have a manual and schematic lying around here.

I'll send them to you if you want them.

They're nice rigs, aren't they? I downloaded the manual and schematics and the quality is legible. However, if you have a printed manual and/or schematic I will happily throw some shekels your way for them.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Oh no, I'm reminded of my Viking 1 with (sexy) mating VFO modified for PSK stored in a ham friend's basement that I had to abandon when I sold my boat anchors to downsize the shack having moved into cramped quarters. Kel, lucky yours wasn't Meisner Signal Drifter that QSYed all by itself. Crapstals, I remember them well, those FT-243s we ground or "leaded" to shift frequency or rubberized with padder caps. I used a couple of 8MHz ones along with the mating VFO to my Gonset Communicator 2, the old reliable Clegg design for 15W of 2M AM. Since they don't make them anymore, I had 4 HC-17 ones made for my RCA Car Fone 60W VHF base transceiver I modified for 2M FM. I stuck them in the octal oven sockets and dispensed with the ovens since they were stable enough without them. You may recognize it if you've seen The Blob starring Steve McQueen, it's the one in Phoenixville, PA police headquarters the sergeant on the overnight used to play radio chess with his counterpart in Doylestown which shared the frequency. (This was before PL, hi.)

A couple of 10W solar panels, ah, green power. (;->)

"If there a "Ham" button, or "Fast" button?"
I don't know, but Fat Ham buttons abound at any hamfester. We all know about festering hams at the roach coach, the circuit behind the button.

Oh, I did some frequency tweaking with the HC-8 crystals. Broke a few too. As a young ham I was given a lot of stuff. I had a boatload of crystals but a lot of them were out of the novice band so they were fairly useless until I upgraded, unfortunately.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Well, update on the 730... Took it apart and quickly realized that someone who shouldn't own a screwdriver opened this poor thing up and did some diddling. So I went through the entire alignment procedure. Fortunately they didn't mess with anything really important, like bandpass filters and such, but they did tweak both local oscillators and some other stuff. I was right about R93. When I opened it up, R93, which controls the voltage to LO2, was turned all the way down. Turning it up just a hair made the radio suddenly respond to small changes in the dial position. But, it was all off and I couldn't get it right by simply adjusting R93. I could get it to tune 10 Hz steps, but as soon as it hit a 1 kHz increment, the frequency would suddenly jump. That's when I realized there was more wrong with it.

So I printed out the alignment procedures and got to work. Both local oscillators were off, the IF shift was WAY off, RIT control voltage was way at one end...

So anyway, in a nutshell, the alignment procedures worked nicely and I now have a nice little properly functioning HF rig.

WØTKX
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
SaaaaaaWEEEET. We'll yak soon on SSB. :monkeydance:

What's your antenna situation?

N8YX
01-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Good to hear, Kelli.

And thus, many a good rig was in its day sent off to the Radio Graveyard by "Diddlesticks" (whom I visualize as a David Crosby lookalike, albeit with a gravy stained D-104 in one hand and a Weller soldering gun in the other)...

KJ3N
01-03-2014, 06:43 PM
... and I now have a nice little properly functioning HF rig.

I await your arrival on 40m or 75m phone.

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Well, update on the 730... Took it apart and quickly realized that someone who shouldn't own a screwdriver opened this poor thing up and did some diddling. So I went through the entire alignment procedure. Fortunately they didn't mess with anything really important, like bandpass filters and such, but they did tweak both local oscillators and some other stuff. I was right about R93. When I opened it up, R93, which controls the voltage to LO2, was turned all the way down. Turning it up just a hair made the radio suddenly respond to small changes in the dial position. But, it was all off and I couldn't get it right by simply adjusting R93. I could get it to tune 10 Hz steps, but as soon as it hit a 1 kHz increment, the frequency would suddenly jump. That's when I realized there was more wrong with it.

So I printed out the alignment procedures and got to work. Both local oscillators were off, the IF shift was WAY off, RIT control voltage was way at one end...

So anyway, in a nutshell, the alignment procedures worked nicely and I now have a nice little properly functioning HF rig.

That's hot. Yeah, yeah, hot.

W3WN
01-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Well, update on the 730... Took it apart and quickly realized that someone who shouldn't own a screwdriver opened this poor thing up and did some diddling. So I went through the entire alignment procedure.

< snip >

So anyway, in a nutshell, the alignment procedures worked nicely and I now have a nice little properly functioning HF rig.Excellent! Can't wait to hear/work you!

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
:) I have to get a good antenna up. Right now I'm working with a piece of wire which is the remaining leg of the 30 meter dipole I had up, which came down in one of the big wind storms we had.

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
So this morning, Dan ran out to RS and bought me some new coax. I have an old Cushcraft 6 meter vertical that I modified a long time ago to use as a vertical for the AM broadcast band. My son and I are going to set it up to be a 20 meter 1/4 wave vertical with a small capacitance hat. Should be done in a few hours. Pics and hopefully QSO's to follow...

WX7P
01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
So this morning, Dan ran out to RS and bought me some new coax. I have an old Cushcraft 6 meter vertical that I modified a long time ago to use as a vertical for the AM broadcast band. My son and I are going to set it up to be a 20 meter 1/4 wave vertical with a small capacitance hat. Should be done in a few hours. Pics and hopefully QSO's to follow...

Let us know.

there's nothing else to do in this fucking place except watch the wind blow. At least on the west coast, the football starts somewhat early

You need a tuner? I've got an extra MFJ sitting around here gathering dust I can send to you.

K7SGJ
01-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Let us know.

there's nothing else to do in this fucking place except watch the wind blow. At least on the west coast, the football starts somewhat early

You need a tuner? I've got an extra MFJ sitting around here gathering dust I can send to you.

Would that be an uber famous "Ike and Tina Tuner'?

W9JEF
01-04-2014, 01:23 PM

UGV has you on the right track. I haven't read past

page one of this thread, so this may be a dupe.

The manual would be your friend here, for sure. :)

If it's anything like my Icom 706, you should be able to

peruse the menus and find a way to change the tuning increments.

My radio ignores my changes on AM, reverting to its default setting.

But its minor flaws? No big deal for an otherwise excellent radio.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :yes:

EDIT:

Shuddaread... them other posts. :oops:

(Apologies to Paul Westmoreland)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detour_(song)

;)

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Would that be an uber famous "Ike and Tina Tuner'?

No, it's Charlie Tuner.

http://www.starkist.com/sites/all/themes/Starkist/Starkist/images/charlies-page.png

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Let us know.

I just put up something that sorta resembles a dipole, sorta resembles an end-fed Zepp. I've got the bramble bush scars to prove it. Anyway, it has been decided that the party room will now double as a ham shack. I have some cleaning and re-arranging to do and then maybe later tonight we can try a QSO. Thank you for the offer BTW, but I do have an MJF Versa-Tuner II, which definitely comes in really handy.

N8GAV
01-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Let me know when your up and running maybe we could QSO

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
OK... Got the "party room" all cleaned and rearranged. Got rig set up. Holy wow. SIGNAL!

N8GAV
01-04-2014, 05:39 PM
OK... Got the "party room" all cleaned and rearranged. Got rig set up. Holy wow. SIGNAL!

Where you at?

K7SGJ
01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
The party room. Don't you pay attention?

N8GAV
01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
The party room. Don't you pay attention?

I walk right into that one Eddie, good one

K7SGJ
01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I walk right into that one Eddie, good one

Couldn't pass that one up.

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Couldn't pass that one up.

LOL you guys crack me up... Unfortunately having a bit of a setback. Had to open up the rig and make some repairs to the PC board near the preamp. Someone had made a mod of some sort and it was intermittent. REALLY bad solder job.

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
OK... I'm on 7.235 right now...

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
OK... I'm on 7.235 right now...

Calling on 7.235

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Okay, 7.235 is now in use. You there, Kelli?

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, not hearing anything :(

N2CHX
01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Well, was gonna try some PSK but there is nary a PSK station to be heard. The entire CW portion of every band seems to be RTTY contesters.

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Nope, no joy. We can try again sometime, though.

KJ3N
01-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, was gonna try some PSK but there is nary a PSK station to be heard. The entire CW portion of every band seems to be RTTY contesters.

That would the ARRL RTTY Roundup. http://www.arrl.org/rtty-roundup

NQ6U
01-04-2014, 10:31 PM
That would the ARRL RTTY Roundup. http://www.arrl.org/rtty-roundup

Danged contesters are gonna be the death of amateur radio.

K7SGJ
01-04-2014, 11:22 PM
They ARE the ebil....................

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 01:35 AM
"Danged contesters are gonna be the death of amateur radio."

But cunttesters will bring it back.

WØTKX
01-05-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm on 14.295 right now, OMIK net is starting at the top of the hour.

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Nets are the ebil... :neener:

WØTKX
01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Not that one... I'm diggin' being a member of OMIK, Mr. Horse Meat Tenderizer. :neener:

FWIW...upper bands are rocking, all the way thru 10 meters. 8)

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm on 14.121.8 right now, PSK31 if anyone wants to give it a go.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 01:26 PM

If you can hang out for a another 20 minutes, I'll join you.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
If you can hang out for a another 20 minutes, I'll join you.

OK :)

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Why the hell are you that far up the band?

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Sorry, was delayed. I'm heading out to the shack right now.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Weird. I can hear the audio of a PSK signal but I can't see it on my waterfall display.

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Weird. I can hear the audio of a PSK signal but I can't see it on my waterfall display.

At 14.121.8? All I heard was RTTY.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
At 14.121.8? All I heard was RTTY.

Yeah, my bad. What I was hearing was RTTY up 1MHz.

Kelly, if you're still on the air, try tuning to 14.070.15. That's the usual 20m PSK-31 frequency.

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 02:31 PM

I assume you meant 1Khz.

Kelly, if you're still on the air, try tuning to 14.070.15. That's the usual 20m PSK-31 frequency.

That's what had me confused. Don't understand how she wound up that high in the digital subband.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
I assume you meant 1Khz.

Shaddup! (Of course that's what I meant)

That's what had me confused. Don't understand how she wound up that high in the digital subband.

It's way outside the usual digital band which, on most bands, is down low somewhere in the CW area but that's doesn't mean you can't operate there if you choose. It's still just a SSB signal.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Why the hell are you that far up the band?

Because it's the only place relatively free of RTTY contesters. Down around where PSK normally is, was jam-packed with RTTY contesters. They're a plague, lol.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Give me another half hour. I had to stop for a bit to practice a song with my daughter, as I promised her.

EDIT: Yeah, that frequency was inundated with RTTY earlier, like a metric shit-ton of RTTY stations, which is why I went further up where there was actually some space between signals.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Okay, see you then. The RTTY QRM on 14.070.15 has abated, nothing but PSK31 there now.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Okay, see you then. The RTTY QRM on 14.070.15 has abated, nothing but PSK31 there now.

OK. Setting it up now.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Monitoring 14.070.15...

kb2vxa
01-05-2014, 03:09 PM
"It's still just a SSB signal."

As long as you pedants are picking each other apart... PSK-31 is AFSK.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Monitoring 14.070.15...

There's a station on that freq now. If my settings are correct, I should be on 14.070.2. Calling CQ now.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
There's a station on that freq now. If my settings are correct, I should be on 14.070.2. Calling CQ now.

Grrr. Had to move. Now I'm on 14.070 + 1260

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Grrr. Had to move. Now I'm on 14.070 + 1260

Kelly, there are always stations on that frequency. The normal SSB bandpass of 2KHz will handle dozens of PSK31 signals.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Kelly, there are always stations on that frequency. The normal SSB bandpass of 2KHz will handle dozens of PSK31 signals.

Yes, I know. All I'm saying is that I had to move up from where I was :p

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm calling on 14.069.5+1200.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
:-/ I think I'm gonna give up. Plenty of power going out, looks good, can see/hear other stations but I've been calling for quite a while and.... nothing.

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Never saw your trace. WTF?

WØTKX
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm around today... have you tried tuning up on 10 meters?

It's open, and I'd prolly hear your SSB signal... :dunno:

NQ6U
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm up for a try on 10m. Got to get out the antenna rotator (AKA, a pipe wrench) and aim the Moxon in your direction.

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm going to head to the shack and see if I can find a reasonable clear 40m SSB frequency. Maybe Kelli and I will have better luck, if she's up to it.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Just found that my rig is WAY off frequency on 10 meters, so that's out for now. Not sure why it's off, but...

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:26 PM
How about 40m LSB? 7.299?

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
How about 40m LSB? 7.299?

Lesbians on 40 meters? I'll be right over.

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Lesbians on 40 meters? I'll be right over.

Film at 11. :rofl:

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Film at 11. :rofl:

:snicker:

I just heard someone on there. Was that you?

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Calling ....

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
not hearing much except some BC QRM at about s5.

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 05:42 PM
not hearing much except some BC QRM at about s5.

same here

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Do you hear anything on 7.294?

N2CHX
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Do you hear anything on 7.294?

Yes. Sounds like a SWBC station

KJ3N
01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Can you get the antenna to load on 75?

N8OBM
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Kelli, I think you might need to post a schedule of when you will be on the air, mode and band. I know I certainly want to add you to my log book. I think there are a number more who wish to as well. Sadly, I don't have the 765 wired up to the computer yet so, no PSK send. I can receive PSK using the PCR-1000.

Archie N8OBM

N2CHX
01-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Kelli, I think you might need to post a schedule of when you will be on the air, mode and band. I know I certainly want to add you to my log book. I think there are a number more who wish to as well. Sadly, I don't have the 765 wired up to the computer yet so, no PSK send. I can receive PSK using the PCR-1000.

Archie N8OBM

I will probably have a status/mode/band/freq listed on my website: n2kkm.com

KJ3N
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I will probably have a status/mode/band/freq listed on my website: n2kkm.com

Just a suggestion, but a time-stamp would be helpful.

N2CHX
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Just a suggestion, but a time-stamp would be helpful.

LOL I haven't really done anything with that yet. I'll get to it, probably this weekend.

kb2vxa
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
"Just found that my rig is WAY off frequency on 10 meters, so that's out for now. Not sure why it's off, but..."

The VFO is off a bit like my Mark2G, a small error is compounded the higher in frequency you go while the readout appears correct. No problem, with a counter and golden screwdriver in the right hands, yours, it can be corrected. BTW, my 2M FM isn't a problem since it's within tolerances, but when I give the frequency I'm going to they can't find me on SSB without tuning around a bit. I never got around to fixing it, sans antennas these days it's become a moot point.

"I will probably have a status/mode/band/freq listed on my website: n2kkm.com"
This page is not yet complete... However, N2KKM is likely somewhere near 14.070 kHz on PSK31...

N2CHX
01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
"Just found that my rig is WAY off frequency on 10 meters, so that's out for now. Not sure why it's off, but..."

The VFO is off a bit like my Mark2G, a small error is compounded the higher in frequency you go while the readout appears correct. No problem, with a counter and golden screwdriver in the right hands, yours, it can be corrected. BTW, my 2M FM isn't a problem since it's within tolerances, but when I give the frequency I'm going to they can't find me on SSB without tuning around a bit. I never got around to fixing it, sans antennas these days it's become a moot point.

"I will probably have a status/mode/band/freq listed on my website: n2kkm.com"
This page is not yet complete... However, N2KKM is likely somewhere near 14.070 kHz on PSK31...

I never posted an update to this... I checked the frequency with a counter and it is indeed correct. Not sure why pskreporter.info was reporting my frequency on 10 meters to be one thing when it was definitely completely another.

kb2vxa
01-11-2014, 03:32 AM
My on air off frequency is a moot point, your pskreporter is likewise. Never try to make sense out of nonsense, it's non sense.