PDA

View Full Version : Russian drivers......

w2amr
01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
...... are really bad. And, everybody has a dash cam. Or so it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ipipKkmNuI

K7SGJ
01-02-2014, 03:27 PM
That's going to leave a mark.

W5BRM
01-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Look up the trucking versions of that...lol them russian truckers are nuts!!

N2CHX
01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Since when does Russia have BNSF trains?

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
They do drink more in Russia even with stricter DUI punishment.
Dashcams. Because it's impossible to collect on an insurance claim without one over there.
Helmet cams on motorcycles here have proved (one way or the other) many accidents in a courtroom over here.

I noticed a lot trucks just turning over. Not big rigs so much but those military looking tankers and haulers. I can only surmise that safety regulations are lax in Russia. You know, rugged individualism and personal responsibility.

WØTKX
01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Watched the vid, no BNSF train. Weird.

NQ6U
01-02-2014, 08:34 PM

BNSF ees Rrrussian inwention, tovarisch. Like Aeroplane.

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Watched the vid, no BNSF train. Weird.

Yep.

VE7DCW
01-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad.....and I agree I know the communist Soviet Union Fell..... but I did'nt know it fell that much to allow that railroad into the country....... Da?:mrgreen:

K7SGJ
01-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad.....and I agree I know the communist Soviet Union Fell..... but I did'nt know it fell that much to allow that railroad into the country....... Da?:mrgreen:

What? You didn't know? Hell, they ran the tracks to Russia right through Canada. Or were you out back taking a toke with Rob?

VE7DCW
01-03-2014, 02:30 AM
What? You didn't know? Hell, they ran the tracks to Russia right through Canada. Or were you out back taking a toke with Rob?

Naaaaaw Eddie..... none of that dopehead garbage for me...... as for the tracks... you sometimes see BNSF and Union Pacific locomotives tied in with Canadian Pacific engines running on CP tracks this side of the border.....maybe the 3 railroads are attempting a run to Russia.....:lol:

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Naaaaaw Eddie..... none of that dopehead garbage for me...... as for the tracks... you sometimes see BNSF and Union Pacific locomotives tied in with Canadian Pacific engines running on CP tracks this side of the border.....maybe the 3 railroads are attempting a run to Russia.....:lol:

What? Trains in Canada? I thought you all used sled dogs except during Summer, which would be July.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/gichigami-express-dog-sled-race-2013-1-_2679copy_zps5270cb74.png

VE7DCW
01-03-2014, 02:55 AM
What? Trains in Canada? I thought you all used sled dogs except during Summer, which would be July.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/gichigami-express-dog-sled-race-2013-1-_2679copy_zps5270cb74.png

Actually more like June in warmer summers..... :-?

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 09:50 AM
I drive about 5 or 6 miles along the old NY Central main line every day on my way to work. This morning I passed by a train with a MD&E and an Indiana railroad engine at the head, parked at one of the crew swap stops. Nice to seem colors other than the CSX blue.

WX7P
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I have a dashcam. They're cheap. It runs when the car is on and tapes over the old stuff.

AC8KF WALT
01-03-2014, 01:25 PM
i plan on getting a pair for the wifes truck as well as my own. saves a lot of lawyer and court time.

NQ6U
01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
One trucking company I drove for had dash cams installed in all their trucks. The drivers didn't like it at first, thinking that the company was trying to catch bad driving but it turned out that, even though a couple of guys did lose their jobs for doing dangerous stuff (one guy ran right through a lowered SD Trolley crossing gate and narrowly missed causing a horrific accident), the cameras more often than not proved that they were not the driver at fault in accidents.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I have used cams on my Ninja for a couple of years now. Last summer I bought a pair of sunglasses that have a camera built-in...

Among other things, I got nice video of some dumb bitch in a luxury car who didn't give a damn that I was already in the lane she wanted to move into.

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 04:39 PM
BNSF street running in Russia, Canadian Northern has tracks all over the US from the north, Ferrocarril Nacional de México from the south, Iowa Interstate runs Chinese seam locomotives, and then there's G&W that gobbled up so many American short lines and Genesee & Wyoming Australia that absorbed the Australian Railroad Group, stole the livery, and gave it to the entire holding company's locomotives so you can't tell one from another, railfans are confused.

That was a great PIT maneuver in the opener, spun a truck no less! Then there was the mule galloping across the road, what a hoot! Russians are such bad drivers most have dash cams to prove who was at fault, no kidding. They don't have bumper cars in amusement parks so they have them on the highways and city streets, much more fun but expensive.

W5BRM
01-03-2014, 09:07 PM
I dont mind having a camera on vehicles as long as its for protection. It's just when the camera can be used against its owner without the owners knowledge thats what gets me worried. Whether its by the govt, your employer, your insurance company, LEO or whoever

Company I work for is experimenting with a product called Mobile Eye. I have a permanently mounted camera center top of my windshield that is constantly on. It does a whole variety of things. I have a little digital readout on my dash that is connected to the camera.

It tells me:
How many seconds following distance I have to the vehicle in front of me.
If I am about to have a front end collision
When I am supposedly wandering and weaving in my lane.
If I'm speeding.
If I brake too hard.
If I turn too hard (vehicle upset warning)
If there are pedestrians in front of me

The following distance option is a real work of wonder. Its supposed to tell me how close I am in seconds to the vehicle in front of me. Only problem is, it doesnt have any depth perception. I can be a full quarter mile away from a vehicle and it will tell me I have a .5 second following distance. I can catch up to another vehicle and be on thier bumper and it wont see the vehicle at all. I've had times where it reports me for following too close when I'm totally parked and not moving.

The front end collision warning system just plain doesnt work. I can go under a bridge and the warning tone goes off and a critical event is reported even though there isnt a vehicle within a mile of me...lol. It registers the big green overhead street and city name signs as vehicles I'm about to hit and reports me to the company.

The lane wandering options is totally worthless. If I "wander" in my lane more then 3 times in a 10 second period, it initiates a critical lane event and sends a msg to the company. When I come into a construction zone where all the lanes are mopved around and the lane markers are shifted all over, ity freaks out and cant follow any particular lane so its constantly has the warning bell going off and sends reports to the company until I get out of the construction. It also doesnt like the local 2 lane roads built by the local town barn guys who work for beer money...lol They cant lay a straight line when they repave or relane the roads and that just drives the computer bugshit...lol

The speeding portion of the software is supposed to read speed limit signs. It does. ALL of them! If I am in a 20mph school zone at 2am and I'm doing 30mph, it goes off. When I'm on the interstate it reads the minimum speed limit signs so constantly beeping and tells me I'm doing 20-25mph over the speed limit. It reads the offramp speed limit signs when I drive by them and tells me I'm doing 35-40mph over the limit.

The hard braking warning is about the only thing that works... except when you are sliding on ice. It reads rapid deceleration of the drive train at the time it goes off. if on dry pavement it looks for deceleration of more then 9mph in a 1 second period. On ice, the brakes stop the drive train when u slide so it initiates a hard braking critical event report even though you were sliding and NOT stopping...lol.

Haven't had a hard turn warning yet so I dont know if that works or not...lol

The pedestrian warning is about the only useful tool in that whole package

Needless to say, the company is NOT pleased with this product. We have it installed in about 200 trucks. They started the project in April of this year and they have had to turn off almost ALL of the critical event reports. They were getting a THOUSAND reports a day and they only had 3 personnel to handle it...lol

I dont mind having cameras in vehicles but when the time comes that big brother begins watching (and it already has as evidenced by my employer) I think it will be time start having a word with our elected officials about privacy. Keep the cameras DISCONNECTED from the net and I'll be happy.

kb2vxa
01-04-2014, 01:32 AM
"...one guy ran right through a lowered SD Trolley crossing gate and narrowly missed causing a horrific accident...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc

W2NAP
01-04-2014, 08:28 AM
I get the feeling those russians just don't give a shit.

kb2vxa
01-06-2014, 01:50 AM
No! Vee sell it comrade! You say never pay for sometink you can get for free, vee say never give avay anythink you can get many rubles for.

W2NAP
01-06-2014, 06:06 AM
Niet, Ruskie no care. drive like 500 daytona.

W7XF
01-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Remind me to refuse a Russian vacay!

kb2vxa
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
For some Americans the Civil War never ended. For some Russians the Cold War never ended. DUCK you sucker!

Oh, here's what inspired me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THn36Mwmv7U The original, first run title was Duck You Sucker, James Coburn's tag line. It was one of Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns, what made it even funnier was the theme music running through it with the vocal WOP WOP WOP. Just thought you'd like to know, if you want to watch it: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-You-Sucker-Fistful-Dynamite/dp/B002BS2R78