PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler in Europeaan hands

PA5COR
01-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Fiat bought the remaining stock to become 100% owner of Chrysler.
They want to expand on the USA market with cars and for 2.7 billion Euro bought the remaining stock to become 100% owner of the Chrysler brand.

N2NH
01-02-2014, 07:34 AM
I can't imagine coming up with something for Chrysler that will beat

Fix
It
Again
Tony

But this still beats this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/260ybuh.jpg

W3WN
01-02-2014, 08:12 AM
So what?

WØTKX
01-02-2014, 08:17 AM
The Alfa Romeo Giulietta slightly reworked is the new Dodge Dart.
It's been reasonably successful...

Wonder what they're gonna call the Panda over here? ;)

PA5COR
01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
The Peanut as it's nickname is here ;)

KK4AMI
01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Huh, at least my 2003 Dodge Ram is still a Benz.

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Obama is shipping American jobs to Europe!

N2NH
01-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Please don't give the clueless any ideas. :lol:

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Please don't give the clueless any ideas. :lol:

8 months ago when they started building Jeeps in China for the Chinese market, they said that Obama was closing down Jeep factories and sending Jeep jobs away to China. So, why not give the ignorant gasoline and a lighter?

KC9SQR
01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
8 months ago when they started building Jeeps in China for the Chinese market, they said that Obama was closing down Jeep factories and sending Jeep jobs away to China. So, why not give the ignorant gasoline and a lighter?

Actually a lot of those Jeeps that are shipped to China are built in the Belvidere assembly plant.. My brother works there and tells me there are quite a few of the jeeps that are being built for China with a diesel engine in them that is not available to the U.S. market.. So as far as I know quite a few of the jeeps destined for China are built right here in the U.S.

KB3LAZ
01-02-2014, 05:33 PM
I have a Fiat 500 and if they are any indication of what other Fiats are like, you can keep them.

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Actually a lot of those Jeeps that are shipped to China are built in the Belvidere assembly plant.. My brother works there and tells me there are quite a few of the jeeps that are being built for China with a diesel engine in them that is not available to the U.S. market.. So as far as I know quite a few of the jeeps destined for China are built right here in the U.S.

I suspect that is true and that they get excellent fuel mileage. We do build VWs for the European market with 75 mpg diesel engines.

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I have a Fiat 500 and if they are any indication of what other Fiats are like, you can keep them.

But dood! The commercials make them look like laser lightspeed bronie wagons from hell!

NA4BH
01-02-2014, 07:59 PM
But dood! The commercials make them look like laser lightspeed bronie wagons from hell!

They can drive underwater too. Don't forget to mention that.

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
They can drive underwater too. Don't forget to mention that.

That and the black model makes women take off their tops.

ad4mg
01-02-2014, 08:07 PM
That and the black model makes women take off their tops.

What color was the one the ass-grabbing crab rode in? :-D I though that commercial was rather cute... and I wonder who took care of all the little boo-boo's those poor girls suffered at the claws of that crab?

KG4CGC
01-02-2014, 08:10 PM
What color was the one the ass-grabbing crab rode in? :-D I though that commercial was rather cute... and I wonder who took care of all the little boo-boo's those poor girls suffered at the claws of that crab?

LOL! Red or yellow?
I like the first one where the young woman speaking Italian that was a figment of a poor nerd's active imagination. Rawr.

WØTKX
01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
:lol:

http://youtu.be/Whs6dQIN_HI

http://youtu.be/Whs6dQIN_HI

KB3LAZ
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Mine is a 500L which is about three times the size. It is like a giant egg and a pain in the ass. Not fun to park, it has many blind spots, really uncomfortable with what I could only think of as coach seats from a plane, and the list goes on. Good fortune has it that it is a lease and it isn't even one that I paid for. I just happen to be using it for the time being. Good thing because I hate it.

Normally we only have one car and on the rare occasion that my wife and I need to do different things at the same time then one of us takes the tram. Which is normally me as I don't like driving here. However, this 500L was going to waste while my SIL is in Ireland and I am on vacation. I like the tram better, lol.

I think my favorite car that I have tried in the EU thus far is the Citroen DS4. Decent fuel econ, fair price, uber comfy, diesel (which is cheaper here), roomy, etc. I rented one for a month up north when Pili and I were vacationing in the countryside, loved it. Though it did throw me for a loop for the first few days. If you took it out of gear and let out the clutch it would turn off but simply pushing in the clutch turned it back on. Found a button that turned that off. I assume it is some sort of fuel saving feature or something. Diesels seem slower on take off as it is, I don't need to wait for it to start, lol. Seriously, that is the only issue I could find and it was not an issue as it could be turned off.

As for what we use daily, Opel Astra. It is more or less a mid level Chevy. Think Malibu. Maybe not even that nice, lol. However, I like it. Aside from reverse being in the wrong place!

I miss driving my Camaro or Road Runner on the back roads. No fighter plane dash panel and no traffic. :P

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 12:43 AM
When Ford bought Jaguar they made Fags. Since Fiat bought Chrysler will they make Fialers? OOOoooh, sexy! Well, to assimilate Chrysler, the Borg had fiat: an authoritative determination.

NQ6U
01-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Mine is a 500L which is about three times the size.

That's the one that's pretty much a rebodied Fiat Panda, right?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Fiat_Panda_front_20070926.jpg/280px-Fiat_Panda_front_20070926.jpg

W7XF
01-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Just think, Travis....soon at a Fiat dealer near you..... a Dodge Ram 3500 dually!!!

KB3LAZ
01-03-2014, 05:24 AM
That's the one that's pretty much a rebodied Fiat Panda, right?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Fiat_Panda_front_20070926.jpg/280px-Fiat_Panda_front_20070926.jpg

No idea. It looks just like a big version of its little brother.

KB3LAZ
01-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Just think, Travis....soon at a Fiat dealer near you..... a Dodge Ram 3500 dually!!!

Yeah...with gas prices of 1.46€ per liter, I don't think so.

KK4AMI
01-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah...with gas prices of 1.46€ per liter, I don't think so.

Hey, Don't sell the Ram 3500 pick-up short. The Cubans drive pick-ups to the US all the time. Just think, pack all your belongings in the truck and set sail for the US. With the hemi engine, you should be back in the US in a couple of weeks! :lol:

W2NAP
01-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I suspect that is true and that they get excellent fuel mileage. We do build VWs for the European market with 75 mpg diesel engines.

you would THINK, we would have the 75MPG diesel engines.....

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Looks like somebody didn't think, Travis said in Spain unlike the US, Diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. Despite the fact it's more expensive here I occasionally hear the rattle and roar of a Diesel pickup engine because they have higher torque in the low end so they have greater hauling power for professional rather than hemi showoff look at me macho man use. Now unless I'm mistaken, Diesel engines have hemi heads too. <a big macho razz>

KK4AMI
01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Looks like somebody didn't think, Travis said in Spain unlike the US, Diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. Despite the fact it's more expensive here I occasionally hear the rattle and roar of a Diesel pickup engine because they have higher torque in the low end so they have greater hauling power for professional rather than hemi showoff look at me macho man use. Now unless I'm mistaken, Diesel engines have hemi heads too. <a big macho razz>

The HEMI, hemispherical combustion chamber was designed to improve gasoline combustion utilizing dual spark plugs. I don't know of even one spark plug in a diesel????

Didn't the diesel engine crash here in the US (around 80s) because too many people bought them and the Greenies complained about soot levels in the US?

NQ6U
01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
unless I'm mistaken, Diesel engines have hemi heads too. <a big macho razz>

I believe you're mistaken. A hemispherical combustion chamber wouldn't allow the high compression ratio (22:1 is not uncommon) a diesel engine needs to operate.

K0RGR
01-03-2014, 03:17 PM
The HEMI, hemispherical combustion chamber was designed to improve gasoline combustion utilizing dual spark plugs. I don't know of even one spark plug in a diesel????

Didn't the diesel engine crash here in the US (around 80s) because too many people bought them and the Greenies complained about soot levels in the US?

There have been successful diesel cars here, but there have been many flops, and as a result, people are reluctant to buy them. Most of the diesels in U.S. cars featured reworked gasoline engines that weren't designed to handle diesel stresses, and most didn't. As a result, the automakers haven't really tried to market diesels here very much.

NQ6U
01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
There have been successful diesel cars here, but there have been many flops, and as a result, people are reluctant to buy them. Most of the diesels in U.S. cars featured reworked gasoline engines that weren't designed to handle diesel stresses, and most didn't. As a result, the automakers haven't really tried to market diesels here very much.

Try to find a new VW Jetta TDI Sportswagon around these parts and you'll see that there are indeed successful diesel cars. The dealers can't keep them in stock.

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 04:55 PM
you would THINK, we would have the 75MPG diesel engines.....

Strictly verboten.

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

This. Oldsmobile offered a diesel version of the 300something displacement V8 and many people didn't get more than 50K miles out of them before the dealers refused to work on them and basically said, "Yeah, we screwed you. What are you going to do about it?"

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Try to find a new VW Jetta TDI Sportswagon around these parts and you'll see that there are indeed successful diesel cars. The dealers can't keep them in stock.

And as you well know, if you are refining oil to produce gasoline, it costs nothing to produce diesel.

WØTKX
01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
And of course, we got Lancia, Alfa, Maserati, Ferrari. Fiat has also been partnering with Mazda for a couple of years on a RWD sports car project. This is going to be interesting in the next few years.

n2ize
01-03-2014, 06:53 PM

No, but as his predecessors he is shipping jobs overseas. Or, doing little to prevent it from happening.

n2ize
01-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Leave it to the greenies. Their solution is to go back to living in caves. In my late teens and early 20's I was strongly in concert with the Greenies. Then I got older and wisdon, knowledge, common sense, and logic prevailed.

KG4CGC
01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Today's "Greenies" are not proposing we go back to living in caves. That's simple propaganda from big oil and all that is associated with conservative think tank speak.

Today's Greenies are proposing wind, solar and renewable alternatives to gasoline. Methane produced through biomass is a perfect replacement to gasoline and can be made ANYWHERE!

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
"In my late teens and early 20's I was strongly in concert with the Greenies."
How unfortunate.

W3WN
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Leave it to the greenies. Their solution is to go back to living in caves. In my late teens and early 20's I was strongly in concert with the Greenies. Then I got older and wisdom, knowledge, common sense, and logic prevailed.Really? Then when are you going to start using them...

...ok, ok, it was just too good a straight line to pass up, I didn't really mean it...

ka4dpo
01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
The last Chrysler product I had was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi. It ran really strong and was a really nice truck but the transmission, actually the torque coverter started going bad after only about 15,000 miles so I got it fixed and sold it. I found out afterward that all of the 4wd Ram pickups with atomatics had problems so I swore them off.

I since have bought a new truck so I'm getting one of these, it's fast, affordable, and surprisingly fuel efficient.

http://bcove.me/0ilhxn4i

N2NH
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
And of course, we got Lancia, Alfa, Maserati, Ferrari. Fiat has also been partnering with Mazda for a couple of years on a RWD sports car project. This is going to be interesting in the next few years.

Doesn't Ford own a stake in Mazda too? I know the Mercury Milan was basically a Mazda I-6.

KG4CGC
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Doesn't Ford own a stake in Mazda too? I know the Mercury Milan was basically a Mazda I-6.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, Mazda made the Focus and Ford made the M5.

kb2vxa
01-07-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd be just a little suspicious of a hemi with a 'matic, they usually can't stand the strain of all that power. Maybe that's why I never saw a muscle car with one, but then the owners were macho types.

NQ6U
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I since have bought a new truck so I'm getting one of these, it's fast, affordable, and surprisingly fuel efficient.

http://bcove.me/0ilhxn4i

I want that guy's job.

ka4dpo
01-07-2014, 10:39 PM
I'd be just a little suspicious of a hemi with a 'matic, they usually can't stand the strain of all that power. Maybe that's why I never saw a muscle car with one, but then the owners were macho types.

I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's Chrysler made the A727 Torqueflite auto and they were indestructable. A lot of drag racers used them and might still but I do know that you could get a 427 Hemi Cuda with a torqueflite tranny in it in 1970 that would wrinkle the pavement. I don't know what specific transmission was in my truck other than it was a four speed auto but they used it in all of the 2001 through 2008 Ram 1500 and 2500 series trucks and they had a lot of problems with them.

I was tempted to buy buy another Ram 1500 last summer but I went with the Ford F-150 platinum. It had more features than the Ram and a high reliability rating. Not as much HP as the Hemi but not bad for a 5.0 liter and it runs on regular or even E-85 although I have never seen any around here. The Hemi has to have premium and since I rarely haul anything anymore except beach stuff I don't need a big engine anyway.

NA4BH
01-07-2014, 10:43 PM
427 HEMI Cuda? 426 maybe?

ka4dpo
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
427 HEMI Cuda? 426 maybe?

Yup, had Chevy on the brain. By the way Chrysler also made a 392 Hemi in the early 60's and it went into a lot of production cars like your grandparents would drive.

kb2vxa
01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
"A lot of drag racers used them and might still but I do know that you could get a 427 Hemi Cuda with a torqueflite tranny in it in 1970 that would wrinkle the pavement."

Maybe so, but how long did they last before the pavement wrinkled THEM? While I know that a few were used as far as I know they were after market, drag racers except stockers ran heavily modified production cars. I didn't know the 'Cuda had that option, not being a motor head the only muscle cars I knew were owned by local showoffs, street racers and a girlfiend's parents. He had a stick, she had a 'matic and it was cool to look at the twins when parked in the driveway, no hemis though, they being parents didn't race them.

Then one of the Linden, NJ street racers was a chick with a sign on the back of her car; if you can beat me you can eat me. She blew them all off (cars, dummy) for years and finally the day came, good thing the cops didn't drop by and interrupt the gathering watching the show.

The hottest car around never was raced on the street but on the track at the famous then advertized on WABC Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ with a never to be forgotten intro to the upcoming event. Those in the area listening to the station know the one, too bad I don't have a clip to post. That was She's All Mine, a '57 Chevy with a 283 bored out to 301 owned by Art, the owner of Art's Roselle Esso on the corner of Chestnut St.and St. Georges Ave., Rte. 27/35. He sold 100+ octane Aviation gas too which reduced theft from Linden Airport. (;->) He kept his car up on a lift when the station was closed for the night, he had so many trophies in the office and on shelves around the bays the place was overflowing with them.

Those were the days when motor heads and Saturday driveway mechanics ruled, listening to the radio when AM rock and roll was king with Elvis, Emperor by now presiding. Dixie Chicks CDs are harder to break than those devil rock and roll records, but just as easy to burn as Elvis The Pelvis aka Swivel Hips movies, still it's not easy to kill a die hard.

Now if you want to see some fireworks, just put an old CD you don't want in the microwave shiny side up, but set the timer for no more than 10 seconds. Any longer and it'll catch fire, the room will stink like hell and linger in the microwave for months. You don't want to get gassed out every time you use it now do you? Remember, no longer than 10 SECONDS! I don't know why I told you this, that is unless you want to play a practical joke on someone... MUAHAHAHAAAaaa.

ka4dpo
01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
"A lot of drag racers used them and might still but I do know that you could get a 427 Hemi Cuda with a torqueflite tranny in it in 1970 that would wrinkle the pavement."

Maybe so, but how long did they last before the pavement wrinkled THEM? While I know that a few were used as far as I know they were after market, drag racers except stockers ran heavily modified production cars. I didn't know the 'Cuda had that option, not being a motor head the only muscle cars I knew were owned by local showoffs, street racers and a girlfiend's parents. He had a stick, she had a 'matic and it was cool to look at the twins when parked in the driveway, no hemis though, they being parents didn't race them.

Then one of the Linden, NJ street racers was a chick with a sign on the back of her car; if you can beat me you can eat me. She blew them all off (cars, dummy) for years and finally the day came, good thing the cops didn't drop by and interrupt the gathering watching the show.

The hottest car around never was raced on the street but on the track at the famous then advertized on WABC Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ with a never to be forgotten intro to the upcoming event. Those in the area listening to the station know the one, too bad I don't have a clip to post. That was She's All Mine, a '57 Chevy with a 283 bored out to 301 owned by Art, the owner of Art's Roselle Esso on the corner of Chestnut St.and St. Georges Ave., Rte. 27/35. He sold 100+ octane Aviation gas too which reduced theft from Linden Airport. (;->) He kept his car up on a lift when the station was closed for the night, he had so many trophies in the office and on shelves around the bays the place was overflowing with them.

Those were the days when motor heads and Saturday driveway mechanics ruled, listening to the radio when AM rock and roll was king with Elvis, Emperor by now presiding. Dixie Chicks CDs are harder to break than those devil rock and roll records, but just as easy to burn as Elvis The Pelvis aka Swivel Hips movies, still it's not easy to kill a die hard.

Now if you want to see some fireworks, just put an old CD you don't want in the microwave shiny side up, but set the timer for no more than 10 seconds. Any longer and it'll catch fire, the room will stink like hell and linger in the microwave for months. You don't want to get gassed out every time you use it now do you? Remember, no longer than 10 SECONDS! I don't know why I told you this, that is unless you want to play a practical joke on someone... MUAHAHAHAAAaaa.

As an old time drag racer I can say that the stock Chrysler Torqueflite and Borg Warner Hydro-matic transmissions could handle well over 600 hp which made them ideal for modified dtreet and even AA gassers in the 60's and early 70's.

As for Fiat buying Chrysler it's kind of a so what. The last ten years most of Chrystlers production was in Canada so it impacts the Canadian factories more than anything here.

kb2vxa
01-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Borg-Warner, a once familiar name I had forgotten. Thanks for refreshing my memory, you being an old time drag racer I can take your word for it. When it comes to grizzlies in the East, not so much.

KG4CGC
01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
As an old time drag racer I can say that the stock Chrysler Torqueflite and Borg Warner Hydro-matic transmissions could handle well over 600 hp which made them ideal for modified dtreet and even AA gassers in the 60's and early 70's.

As for Fiat buying Chrysler it's kind of a so what. The last ten years most of Chrystlers production was in Canada so it impacts the Canadian factories more than anything here.

And Mexico. The truck division does most assembly in Mexico. At least up to 2006. I lost track after that.

N2NH
01-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Borg-Warner, a once familiar name I had forgotten. Thanks for refreshing my memory, you being an old time drag racer I can take your word for it. When it comes to grizzlies in the East, not so much.

I dunno. Grizzly Jon. It has a sort of ring to it. I believe he saw grizzlies, but then again, I'm dyslexic.

NQ6U
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I dunno. Grizzly Jon. It has a sort of ring to it. I believe he saw grizzlies, but then again, I'm dyslexic.

I seent Artesians.

kb2vxa
01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it has a ring to it but who's putting sponge in the bells I once rung and taking my gypsy before she's begun? And who's all hung-up on that happiness thing? Who's trying to tune all the bells that he rings? And who's in the corner and down on the floor with pencil and paper just counting the score? Who's saying, baby, that don't mean a thing 'cause nowadays Clancy can't even sing.