PDA

View Full Version : Online log book

N2CHX
01-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Does anyone use an online logbook of some sort? I've heard of LoTW and a few others. Just wondering what others thought of what's available out there. I don't have time for paper QSL's. I'm also not really interested in winning any contests, so "official" logbooks recognized for contesting isn't really necessary.

KC9ECI
01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I log all to eQSL and LoTW. Both are fairly pain free.

N2CHX
01-01-2014, 10:19 AM
I log all to eQSL and LoTW. Both are fairly pain free.

So do you go to both sites for each QSL or do you use them for different QSO's depending on the type? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never kept anything but a paper log before, and I haven't sent a QSL card out in 20 years.

Also, what do you think of this site? They claim to connect to both eQSL and LoTW: http://www.hrdlog.net

WX7P
01-01-2014, 10:28 AM
I hate to be a crabby patti, but I never was much for online qsl'ing.

I have boxes of QSL cards that are fun to look through once in awhile. The JA cards especially are a scream.

N2CHX
01-01-2014, 10:32 AM
I hate to be a crabby patti, but I never was much for online qsl'ing.

I have boxes of QSL cards that are fun to look through once in awhile. The JA cards especially are a scream.

Everyone has their preferences. Nothing wrong with that. I used to love sending and getting QSL cards when I was first in the hobby, but then having a family kinda came along and I didn't have much time for ham radio, let alone mailing out a bunch of QSL cards.

I am working on an apache/php based QSL card generator that I may use on my own website. If ya want a paper copy, print it out :p

WØTKX
01-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I have new cards (see the K1NSS threads) and have sent out a few. Would love to send some to Islanders.

Some people poke info at me via QRZ (not many), and then there is eQSL. I don't use LOTW.

Not very organized with this stuff, and I should be now that I have "real cards".

kb2vxa
01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I hate to rain on your parade, but I never used one being old school, when I still had antennas I printed my QSL as needed and sent them by snail mail. As far as logs go besides keeping you warm in winter, I transferred my paper logbook to the old DOS computer log used by many on Field Day (forgot the name) and added to it with a slew of 6M contacts. I just love the magic band, during the 1999-2000 sunspot maximum once the MUF rose into the 60MHz region and I made a DX contact to the southernmost tip of Argentina from central New Jersey and have the card to prove it. I'd post a scan for bragging rights but I forgot where I squirreled them away.

As a humorous aside, during my stay at the K2PG shack I filled his paper logbook (he's REALLY old school) with rare DX and often I'd take a break, and locate him to ask where an unfamiliar prefix was located. He'd yell HOLY SHIT and drop everything, run inside and make the contact. One time he was in the shower, he yelled the usual, ran into the shack dripping wet making puddles on the floor as he made and logged it. That day he got the nickname "tube worm" for reasons best left unmentioned.

Another funny one that may surprise some, one day he tried to make a 20M contact with the UK so he turned the beam east and the signal dropped considerably. He called and called to no avail, while he was distracted I turned the beam northeast and he made the contact with a genuine 5 and 9 signal both ways. Later I pointed out the world is round, he pointed the beam at the Middle East. Hail Christopher Columbus!

KC2UGV
01-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I tend to log using FLDigi, upload to eQSL, then download the eQSL exports and sign with TQSL for LoTW. Needless to say, LoTW tends to be out of date for me by about a month or so.

NQ6U
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I use eQSL. I was signed up with LoTW but found it too much of a hassle to use on a regular basis, then when I tried to re-up with it last year the process failed. It means I can't get a lot of ARRL awards but that's not a major concern for me.

KC9ECI
01-01-2014, 02:58 PM
So do you go to both sites for each QSL or do you use them for different QSO's depending on the type? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never kept anything but a paper log before, and I haven't sent a QSL card out in 20 years.

Also, what do you think of this site? They claim to connect to both eQSL and LoTW: http://www.hrdlog.net

I use ACLog for logging and once I'm done with whatever number of QSO's I've just worked it's just a simple button click to send all not previously uploaded to LoTW and another to send them all to eQSL. With eQSL you could also on whatever schedule you choose export all QSO's you need to send as an ADIF file and submit via the web form.

n0iu
01-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I use eQSL. I was signed up with LoTW but found it too much of a hassle to use on a regular basis, then when I tried to re-up with it last year the process failed. It means I can't get a lot of ARRL awards but that's not a major concern for me.

How was it a hassle? I use HRD and all I have to do is highlight the entries in my log and hit the "Upload to LoTW" button and that's it. I do this immediately after every contact (unless I am in a dreaded contest -- of which there are too many of!) so I have no backlog. There are other electronic logs out there that also have LoTW upload utilities. Really, it couldn't much simpler.

All of these are from using LoTW exclusively and I am pretty close to getting a few more:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/shack2_zpsf595049b.jpg

KJ3N
01-01-2014, 07:40 PM
eQSL here. Been on it almost since it started.

Due to contesting activities, the club call has the eQSL versions of WAS, DXCC, and I've got a little over 600 prefixes for their version of CQ Magazine's WPX. I can also apply all those prefixes to CQ Magazine, if I want.

KJ3N
01-01-2014, 07:45 PM

You also can't get any awards through LoTW unless you're an ARRL member (U.S.A. & possessions). No incentive for me to use it.

:sadwave:

W3WN
01-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Kel,

Right now, there are basically three "major" players with the online logging databases... Logbook of the World, eQSL, and ClubLog. Each of them have their pluses and minuses.

I've dabbled in all of them. For a variety of personal reasons, I will not upload my logs to eQSL, on principle. I haven't made a final decision on ClubLog, but it is very useful, for me, for easily confirming contacts with selected rare DX stations, and many relatively recent DXpeditions. (Yes, I know this is not of interest to you, but it may be to some reading)

I have uploaded all of my logs (save a couple of contest logs that were lost in a computer crash years ago) to Logbook of the World. You do not need to be an ARRL member to use it; that only comes into play if you want to use LotW to apply for an ARRL award.

I will warn you that getting your initial access to LotW can be tedious. I think you have enough of a computer background that you won't find it difficult. Essentially, for US amateurs, the League confirms your identity via the FCC database, and goes through a couple of hoops to ensure that you are who you say you are. Because snail mail is involved, the process takes about 10 days to 2 weeks. (And it should be updated, IMHO, but right now that's neither here nor there)

The two biggest gripes about LotW are getting the initial access, and in the log encryption software. That software, TQSL, recently had a 2.0 release, and it's now much easier than ever; I can encrypt my log & the software will automatically upload it for me.

But... don't take my word for this. Look at the major players, see which one suits your needs the best, and move forward from there. Keep in mind too that the three are not mutually exclusive, so if you feel the need, there's no reason you couldn't use more than one.

KC9ECI
01-01-2014, 10:34 PM
You also can't get any awards through LoTW unless you're an ARRL member (U.S.A. & possessions). No incentive for me to use it.

:sadwave:

Other than it is the final courtesy of the QSO for the other op who may be a member. That was all the incentive I needed anyway. No skin off my sack to do a quick upload and make someone else happy.

n0iu
01-02-2014, 06:06 AM
You do not need to be an ARRL member to use it; that only comes into play if you want to use LotW to apply for an ARRL award.

So technically, LoTW is not actually a log book at all. It is ARRL's electronic contact confirmation solution that can be used as an alternative to turning in paper cards for their awards.

NY4Q
01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I use Aether (Mac). It automatically syncs with eQSL & LoTW.

http://www.aetherlog.com/

W3WN
01-02-2014, 02:29 PM
So technically, LoTW is not actually a log book at all. It is ARRL's electronic contact confirmation solution that can be used as an alternative to turning in paper cards for their awards.No.

It is an online logbook. You can use it for nothing else if so desired.

It will also automatically confirm contacts for you, using a double-blind system. Unlike other systems, for example eQSL, you aren't told (directly or indirectly) that someone else's log holds a QSO for you. However, if I work you... we both upload our logs to LotW... and the information entered is accurate & matches... then we will each be notified that the contact is confirmed. No match means either one of us made a data entry error, or that the other log simply hasn't been uploaded (yet).

Now... with that in mind... IF you want to apply for an ARRL sponsored award that's currently supported on LotW (so far, DXCC, WAS and VUCC), and IF you are an ARRL member (condition does not apply to non-US amateurs), you can use your LotW confirmed contacts without need to submit paperwork, including QSL cards. It can all be handled online. There is a fee involved beyond the base cost of the award itself, which helps cover LotW costs. The fee is 25 cents per confirmed contact, although there are discounts when a large number of confirmations are used (down to 15 cents each in large enough quantity).

If that fee seems high, consider this... what does it cost you, today, to confirm all 50 states for WAS? Postage alone is over twice that fee, plus cost of envelopes and QSL cards. And that's assuming that you don't include an SASE. It can easily cost you, if you did it all in 1 shot, $60 - 80 (once you figure in duplicates to cover cards unanswered) or more, just to get the cards. So suddenly, that per-confirmed contact fee isn't so bad.

And that's just WAS. Now consider the same scenario for basic DXCC -- 100 confirmations. Postage costs can easily double or treble for cards being requested from outside the US. To say nothing of the cost of IRC's or green stamps. And requested "donations" to some DXpeditions (or DX holidays... DX a little & get other hams to cover some of the costs of your vacation, nice work if you can get it). And international mail theft...

So, if you do all of your confirmations electronically via LotW, and don't pay out-of-pocket for QSL cards, you actually can save quite a bit of money.

...The CQ WPX awards are now also available on LotW, but I don't know offhand how all the mechanics of that work, in terms of costs etc.

KB3LAZ
01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I use a paper log. Then again, I normally talk to the same people on the same days every week at the same time. Or rather, I did when I was still stateside.

N8XE
01-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I use LOTW myself. I earned my DXCC that way. I moved computers and have not moved my cert yet.

Jason N8XE

W3WN
01-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a lot of work to me. I use a paper log. Then again, I normally talk to the same people on the same days every week at the same time. Or rather, I did when I was still stateside.It's not a lot of work. It's a little tedious or cumbersome to get set up, but that's it.

Right now, I export my log about once or twice a month, convert it to the proper format... something I have to do because I keep my logs in dBase, not in a standard generally recognized logging program, but that's by my choice... and encrypt it with TQSL. That's it. TQSL 2.0 automatically uploads the file, so I don't have to handle that myself.

Contest logs are even easier. I still use CTWin, so I just take the exported Cabrillo log, encrypt it with TQSL, and done. No muss, no fuss, zippity doo dah day.

KJ3N
01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
No.

It is an online logbook. You can use it for nothing else if so desired.

It will also automatically confirm contacts for you, using a double-blind system. Unlike other systems, for example eQSL, you aren't told (directly or indirectly) that someone else's log holds a QSO for you.

And that's enough of a reason for me to not use it. Different strokes, and all that.

Now... with that in mind... IF you want to apply for an ARRL sponsored award that's currently supported on LotW (so far, DXCC, WAS and VUCC), and IF you are an ARRL member ....

There's the catch. Too bad they won't even consider a separate fee schedule for non-members. Oh, well.... :sadwave:

... what does it cost you, today, to confirm all 50 states for WAS?

It cost me a whole $15. https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/25396-It-s-heeeeerrrrrreeeee!

:neener: ;) :rofl:

KB3LAZ
01-02-2014, 05:17 PM
It's not a lot of work. It's a little tedious or cumbersome to get set up, but that's it.

Right now, I export my log about once or twice a month, convert it to the proper format... something I have to do because I keep my logs in dBase, not in a standard generally recognized logging program, but that's by my choice... and encrypt it with TQSL. That's it. TQSL 2.0 automatically uploads the file, so I don't have to handle that myself.

Contest logs are even easier. I still use CTWin, so I just take the exported Cabrillo log, encrypt it with TQSL, and done. No muss, no fuss, zippity doo dah day.I have never had a PC in my shack, though. So, I would have to log on paper, transfer to some kind of computer program, convert it and upload it all of the popular hangouts. All to send maybe two QSL's a year. :P Again, I normally hangout in the same roundtables, on the same nets, etc.

That being said, I assume that I can do direct input as well. If that is the case then all would be fine and dandy because on the rare occasion I decide to make some random contact via calling or answering a CQ then I could put that one contact into the database.

Now, were I into contesting it sounds like a lot of work to do everything twice. Paper and then PC. Personally, I wouldn't do it. At that point I'd have to have a contest shack and general purpose shack. However, that is very unlikely for me. I'm simple, be that good or bad it is what it is.

n0iu
01-03-2014, 07:18 AM
That being said, I assume that I can do direct input as well.

Yes, you can do direct input through the TQSL program. All that is required is the other station's callsign, date, time and band. Everything else is optional.

N2CHX
01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Based on the responses here, I think I am going to use HRD to upload logs to LoTW and eQSL. Also, I am creating a QSL card generator that makes a PDF QSL card, which will then be available to download from my website.

KB3LAZ
01-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Yes, you can do direct input through the TQSL program. All that is required is the other station's callsign, date, time and band. Everything else is optional.

Thanks for the confirmation. That would be more fitting for my style, log those that may be looking for a QSL. For example, I know that there would be no need to log my ragchews each night. In fact it would become rather cumbersome to do so. Online, that is. I always mark it down in the log book. Not that we need to do that these days but it is a habit I picked up from my elmers.

KC9ECI
01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I quit using HRD. The group that bought it off Simon and now charge for it come across as real dicks in various postings I've seen them make.

KJ3N
01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
I quit using HRD. The group that bought it off Simon and now charge for it come across as real dicks in various postings I've seem them make.

You mean postings like this wholly unsubstantiated claim?

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?387752-Ham-Radio-Deluxe-Update-April-2013

During their support of the product, the HRD Support team has discovered many issues that some hams are running is the result of using pirated or leaked copies of Microsoft Windows. Since these copies come from peer-to-peer sites, many hams are not aware that the copies of Microsoft Windows may contain viruses and spyware as well as Trojan horses that can steal personal information. HRD Software LLC recommends that all hams have a genuine copy of Microsoft Windows, otherwise the support team may not be able to help you with issues you may have with HRD on those platforms.

n0iu
01-04-2014, 10:07 AM
I quit using HRD. The group that bought it off Simon and now charge for it come across as real dicks in various postings I've seen them make.

But the free version is still out there and works just fine with LoTW. The only thing I wish it would do is FSK RTTY, but I have MMTTY for that. It just isn't worth a Benjie to have that feature in HRD when everything else does what I need/want it to do.

KJ3N
01-04-2014, 10:39 AM
But the free version is still out there and works just fine with LoTW. The only thing I wish it would do is FSK RTTY, but I have MMTTY for that.

I stopped using HRD nearly 4 years ago because I got tired of waiting for FSK RTTY support. Looks like I made the right move when I abandoned version 4.1. I'm using an older version of MixW for my digital needs.

It just isn't worth a Benjie to have that feature in HRD when everything else does what I need/want it to do.

$100 for the initial SW and $50 a year for support? That takes balls.