PDA

View Full Version : Up and running!

N7YA
12-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Finally! Thanks to our own Bob, NA4BH, lending me his IC706MKIIIG...i am back on the air. :)

I had to order, then cannibalize, a power cable, but its a perfect fit. Then i had to run the ground, PS, tuner and low pass filter down the line. Then bring out my Vibroplex and cans...even brought out the heavy Chinese hand key as a backup...log books, scratch pad, pens, coffee, double check the connections and follow the chain of command to make sure i have everything run correctly...ready at the desk...but first, have to put the Vee back in the sky. Its been down for nearly a year just leaning against my back balcony.

I went to grab the Balun and both ties holding it on crumbled in my hands, so did the tape i had on there to stabilize it. So i went with wire to hold it. Once the Vee was back up and anchored, i head back to the desk. I hit the power supply and the switch lights up...good sign. Then i power up the 706...it springs to life right in the middle of the 20m phone band. The big step is out of the way.

Being after dark, the band is quiet, i knock it down to 30m and the first signal i hear is the always reliable ZP6CW. The rig is in rx mode still so i didnt call him (i need him on 30 too), i want to make sure i am set up to transmit. I key quickly and nothing happens, so i bring up the manual pdf and scroll down to the programming part, find the part about switching to a bug and make the proper adjustments on the menu, hit the paddles and i have output! I move on down the list of steps...power adjustment, tuning, split, full-break keying, etc...then jump down to 40 cw.

I can hear a few loud W's, and a few weak EU stations...it sure is nice to hear DX again! This is the part of the night where EU fades, W comes up, then later JA/PAC starts in. Since we are night owls, i am going to attempt some reports from JA later.

For now, i shut it down as i am ever cautious...the fan came on and i got nervous. When the internal fan on the old 757 came on, the SWR was getting high. I know the Vee was running 1:1 on 40 nicely earlier, but the rig was getting warm. I just like to take my time and examine each step. Especially since its not my gear. I still have to really study the entire menu system to get the most out of this rig. Menus are kind of a new thing for me. All my previous rigs have been old lunkers. The FT757 was the most up to date rig i've ever owned...it was built in 1985.....yeah. I mean, i still use paper logs, wire antennas and hand keys! But it works for me...230 countries with that set up. I should be able to figure out a damn menu. :lol:

We are going to see 47 Ronin with the incredible and amazing Keanu Reeves...:roll:, then i will come back and check 40 to see whats happening. Ill run the rig a little longer and see how it goes. The last log entry here was Jan 15. Only 14 qso's in the log for the entire year of 2013...that sucks! One new band country and thats all i have to show for it. I need to have a working rig in my possession at all times from now on! Ill update how it goes. Im excited.

Once again...Thank You, Bob. Most Humbly. :bowdown:

PA5COR
12-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Good to see you back, have fun now ;)

N7YA
12-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Thanks Cor. So far, i landed St. Kitts, Saba and Navarino Island (SA-050) off the southern tip of Chile, in Antarctic waters...two new band countries tonight. I am VERY happy to be back on the air! :)

W2NAP
12-26-2013, 05:53 AM
I need to get my HF antenna up.. sometime soon. then maybe I will end up working ya somewhere.

N2CHX
12-26-2013, 09:03 AM
That's a nice radio; I had one. My bitx20 is together but not in a case yet. It's working on the bench but something isn't quite right, so I'm troubleshooting.

PA5COR
12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm mostly on 160, worked a bunch of Ruskies last night into the Ukraine, and one from Algeria.
Some Italians, but i hear them every day at nausea....
I'll have a pop over to a friend now, and later have a look at 160 again, when i get back 40 will be winding down anyway.
Maybe some noisemaking on 80 meters....

Hope things work out fine, looking at what you already do, it looks like the setup works as wished.

KJ3N
12-26-2013, 10:03 AM
For now, i shut it down as i am ever cautious...the fan came on and i got nervous. When the internal fan on the old 757 came on, the SWR was getting high. I know the Vee was running 1:1 on 40 nicely earlier, but the rig was getting warm.

The 706 (and the 7000, for that matter) gets warm just sitting there. It draws about 2 amps just on RX. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. There's just not quite enough heatsink there to efficiently dissipate the heat.

You could add a small computer-type 12VDC fan to the radio to assist in cooling. Power is available on the 4-pin Molex on the back of the radio. You shouldn't need anything larger than a standard CPU-sized fan, and you could put in a dropping resistor to bring the RPMs down to something that's not too loud.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Fan706RevA.pdf

K7SGJ
12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
You missed the addendum to the manual which may be helpful. It reads:

If you are using a borrowed radio from a rat bastid named Bob, please read and do the following

To insure cooler operation, simply drill a 1/2 inch hole in the side of your refrigerator. Place the radio on the middle shelf next to the yogurt, and run the necessary cables to and from the radio out the 1/2 inch hole.

Special note to Contesters:

Prior to using the 706 series radio during contests:

Disconnect all cables, and put radio in dresser drawer beneath several layers of underwear, and leave it there until the contest ends.

I hope this will help you out. Which way did you come in?

N8YX
12-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Nice to see you up and running, Adam!

I have somewhat of a pipeline to NV/AZ on 20M. You up for a sked there some time in the next week or so?

W9JEF
12-26-2013, 11:43 AM
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11294&d=1388032621
Nice little radio. I've had the original IC-706 as my main rig for over 17 years, now.

It was a gift from K9BMC (SK).

I guess he got tired of continually tracking my old drift-o-matic HW-100.

Still works like a charm on HF. Some intermittent problem on 2 meters

--maybe a loose screw (but I don't use that band, nohow).

Just last year, I installed the 250 Hz CW filter (don't know who I ever got along without it).

(Also cleaned out a decade or so's worth of dust, etc.)

It does heat up a bit, seeing a typical 3:1 SWR, driving my 500 watt amp.

Like you, I also "...still use paper logs, wire antennas and hand keys!"

Thirty and forty have been good to me... Solomon Islands (H40TA) on 7.012. :)

N7YA
12-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Im usually on 40-30-17-15 cw. But now im going to be doing 10 and 12 as much as possible. I will be happy to meet up on those places...12 doesnt load up as well as i would like, but im great on 40 at night. I dont do much phone.

Good to hear about the rig heat and fan. After running for a while last night, i determined it was normal. New rigs arent a problem. Have to get out of old rig babysitting mode. :lol:

"Thirty and forty have been good to me... Solomon Islands (H40TA) on 7.012." ....for the record, thats Temotu Province...its more rare than Solomon. :yes:

K7SGJ
12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear you're back on again. I have to have some surgery on Saturday to remove a rather large lump on my wrist that is of some concern to the Dr. The quack says I can't do much for awhile, so it looks like all my projects will be on hold for a bit, and I can fire up the rig and get back on without guilt for a week or two. Since it's the left hand, I'll have my right hand free for the key or paddle. Might do some sideband as well. I haven't talked to that guy in Lemon Grove on the radio for awhile, so maybe we can get a three way going. I know he is always interested in a three way of most any kind. If anyone else is around, perhaps we can make it an Island orgy.

KJ3N
12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I haven't talked to that guy in Lemon Grove on the radio for awhile, so maybe we can get a three way going. I know he is always interested in a three way of most any kind. If anyone else is around, perhaps we can make it an Island orgy.

Will it be as kinky as stampeding cattle through the Vatican?

K7SGJ
12-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Will it be as kinky as stampeding cattle through the Vatican?

Holy hell, I hope not.

NQ6U
12-26-2013, 09:57 PM
I haven't talked to that guy in Lemon Grove on the radio for awhile, so maybe we can get a three way going. I know he is always interested in a three way of most any kind. If anyone else is around, perhaps we can make it an Island orgy.

Out of town until Sunday afternoon but after that I'm game for pretty much—anything except CW, anyhow. My code would probably just piss you two off.

VE7DCW
12-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Out of town until Sunday afternoon but after that I'm game for pretty much anything-anything except CW, anyhow. My code would probably just piss you two off.

A pope who knows nothing of the Da Vinci code? ....... I'm shocked! :lol:

kb2vxa
12-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Eh, you can't put a fan in it, there's no room. No matter, it has a fan in it already and it always comes on to cool so much stuffed into such a small (mobile) box. Not to worry, it won't overheat and the SWR power foldback works quite well. I love my Mark, it does everything I could ever want but one thing, transmit full fidelity plate modulated AM so the AM Gangstas, particularly Timtron wouldn't like the inserted carrier sideband telephonium quality audio. (;->)

As for our Pope and the da Vinci code I have no comment... for once in my life. (;->)

W7XF
12-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Glad to hear you're back on again. I have to have some surgery on Saturday to remove a rather large lump on my wrist that is of some concern to the Dr. The quack says I can't do much for awhile, so it looks like all my projects will be on hold for a bit, and I can fire up the rig and get back on without guilt for a week or two. Since it's the left hand, I'll have my right hand free for the key or paddle. Might do some sideband as well. I haven't talked to that guy in Lemon Grove on the radio for awhile, so maybe we can get a three way going. I know he is always interested in a three way of most any kind. If anyone else is around, perhaps we can make it an Island orgy.
Do I have to ride up to New River and dump some D-Con?????? :lol:

NA4BH
12-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Glad you're back on the air, have fun with it.

N7YA
12-29-2013, 04:48 AM
Glad you're back on the air, have fun with it.

Thank you, sir, i certainly am.

Your contribution has helped a DXer in need. In the 24 contacts i've made so far, i have 11 countries on 4 bands, 2 new band countries and one new IOTA from Caribbean, North/south/central America, JA, UA and Antarctica. Even pulled down a good handful of VE stations for RAC. I'm quite stoked! :)

kb2vxa
12-29-2013, 08:33 PM
"Have to get out of old rig babysitting mode."
Yeah, like the time I absent mindedly made the mistake of tuning the antenna at full power with a Drake TR-4 and blew the finals... OOPS! The owner was pissed but soon new transistors arrived and all was well, including another 20W for some strange reason.

It's good to know all is well with DXing, you're stoked and groovin' is groovy. The little Mark is a cherry bomb.........
There I go stealing lyrics again, shut up Warren!