PDA

View Full Version : FBOM WX

w2amr
12-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Sunny today, high 68. Kath and I took the Chevelle out for a nice ride, then I took the bike out for a while. After all the shitty weather this month, a day like this is a real mood elevator. :agree:

WX7P
12-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I wish. Sounds like fun.

We are in the midst of 33 degree weather with ice pellets and general gloom.

I love the Midwest.

w2amr
12-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I wish. Sounds like fun.

I love the Midwest.Warm WX is headed your way, it's only a matter of time.:mrgreen:

N2NH
12-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Got to 56oF here today. Not bad for the first day of winter. Didn't you get this weather earlier this week Janet?

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Warm WX is headed your way, it's only a matter of time.:mrgreen:

Yeah, 6 months or so.

NQ6U
12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
I wish. Sounds like fun.

I love the Midwest.

See here (https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26852-Longest-Night-of-the-Year-Tomorrow?p=570299&viewfull=1#post570299), and remember it next time you give me shit about Lemon Grove!

WX7P
12-21-2013, 05:02 PM
See here (https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26852-Longest-Night-of-the-Year-Tomorrow?p=570299&viewfull=1#post570299), and remember it next time you give me shit about Lemon Grove!

Nice. Fuck you.

NQ6U
12-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Nice. Fuck you.

Well, okay, but you have to at least buy me that Round Table pizza first.

WX7P
12-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, okay, but you have to at least buy me that Round Table pizza first.

get on the chat, jack

do it again.

K0RGR
12-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Is that 'FB OM' WX or 'F-bomb WX'? We certainly have the latter here. I probably used a dozen F-bombs getting from my pickup into the mall last night, alone.

WX7P
12-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Is that 'FB OM' WX or 'F-bomb WX'? We certainly have the latter here. I probably used a dozen F-bombs getting from my pickup into the mall last night, alone.

Relax, SJ ex-pat.

Carl and I are just exchanging East Bay/West Bay pleasantries. (He's from San Mateo, I'm from Fremont. That's why he's an idiot and I'm great...)

Hey, I sent Carl a signed copy of Herb Caen's Baghdad by the Bay book. Being the West Bay jerk that he is, I never got his ham radio license plate....

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Relax, SJ ex-pat.

Carl and I are just exchanging East Bay/West Bay pleasantries. (He's from San Mateo, I'm from Fremont. That's why he's an idiot and I'm great...)

Hey, I sent Carl a signed copy of Herb Caen's Baghdad by the Bay book. Being the West Bay jerk that he is, I never got his ham radio license plate....

The plate is all that's holding his vehicle together.

WX7P
12-21-2013, 07:43 PM
The plate is all that's holding his vehicle together.

Probably.

He's living in the groovy Lemon town, and probably drives a Ford Ranger which Allah tells us is held together by bailing wire.

VE7DCW
12-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Probably.

He's living in the groovy Lemon town, and probably drives a Ford Ranger which Allah tells us is held together by bailing wire.

Is'nt that Allah something? ...... remember..... "you can trust your car to the man who wears the star" :rofl:

w2amr
12-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Yeah, 6 months or so.Yep

w2amr
12-22-2013, 05:37 AM
65degrees @ 5:30 AM. WTF is going on?

PA5COR
12-22-2013, 05:44 AM
Just had our 3 rd storm here in 6 weeks time, the next one is heading towards us for 1st Xmas day with 100 M/pH winds.... lucky us here, never seen so many strong storms in a row in 6 weeks time this season of the year...

WX7P
12-22-2013, 05:52 AM
65degrees @ 5:30 AM. WTF is going on?

I'm jealous. It's cat freezing cold here. My Ragdoll, the Bhutan wants in.

He's usually wanting to stalk rabbits.

N2NH
12-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Got to 56oF here today. Not bad for the first day of winter. Didn't you get this weather earlier this week Janet?

Sure sign I'm on her ignore list. :lol:

WX7P
12-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Sure sign I'm on her ignore list. :lol:

No slight intended. I missed the post!

When I ignore someone, I tell them...:lol:

BTW, I love trains.

n2ize
12-22-2013, 06:30 AM
It's so warm that I am running the air conditioning again. I didn't think I'd be using it anymore this year but last night it became uncomfortably warm and humid so on came the AC. Looks like the AC will stay on for the next few days until things cool down again on Tuesday. It's also supposed to rain like a SOB for the next few days. Wonder if we'll see any very severe weather when the next arctic blast breaks through Monday into Tuesday... Maybe thunderstorms for Christmas ?

N2NH
12-22-2013, 06:39 AM
No slight intended. I missed the post!

When I ignore someone, I tell them...:lol:

BTW, I love trains.

That's what the NH is in N2NH, the New Haven RR. Became a fan when I was 7 and saw them on the Park Ave. Viaduct in East Harlem. That is a vintage NH FL-9 used from the mid 50s to 2005. Diesel and Electric and when the NH became a fallen flag, ConRail, Amtrak, LIRR and Metro-North all used them. I'm sure there's quite a few lines near you. The upper mid-west is full of great lines. We now have Amtrak, MetroNorth and CSX here. It's so quiet that I can hear the horns of each of them even though they're up to 25 miles away.

n2ize
12-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I hear that there have already been tornado warnings in some places. Friend of mine is getting thunder upstate. Summer-like air may feel nice if you are a warm weather buff but in winter it usually leads to severe weather.

N2NH
12-22-2013, 06:51 AM
I hear that there have already been tornado warnings in some places. Friend of mine is getting thunder upstate. Summer-like air may feel nice if you are a warm weather buff but in winter it usually leads to severe weather.

No thunder here, but a lot of overnight fog with some rain and temps that rose from 38 to 61oF right now. The foot plus snow on the ground is all but gone.

PA5COR
12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
And another 90 MpH hurricane for us on tueasday/wednesday..... LOL

A rapidly deepening area of low pressure will bring very strong winds across Scotland and Northern Ireland on Tuesday. There is the likelihood of widespread gales, with gusts to around 70 mph for much of Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Gusts of 80-90 mph are possible, the greatest likelihood of these values being towards the northwest where there will also be frequent wintry showers.
The public should be aware of the potential for significant disruption to travel due to the very strong winds.
That's what we get here too...
http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/sneek

Time to test the antenna's again...

N2CHX
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
That's what the NH is in N2NH, the New Haven RR. Became a fan when I was 7 and saw them on the Park Ave. Viaduct in East Harlem. That is a vintage NH FL-9 used from the mid 50s to 2005. Diesel and Electric and when the NH became a fallen flag, ConRail, Amtrak, LIRR and Metro-North all used them. I'm sure there's quite a few lines near you. The upper mid-west is full of great lines. We now have Amtrak, MetroNorth and CSX here. It's so quiet that I can hear the horns of each of them even though they're up to 25 miles away.

When I was little I called those "cat-nose engines". The only cool diesel engines AFAIC. Too bad they took that one out of service in 2005.

PA5COR
12-22-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/22/1264611/-Siberians-marvel-that-there-is-no-snow

Siberians marvel that there is no snow...
The driven snow and ice covered vistas that most of us imagine when thinking of Siberia are not to be found in large swaths of the region. Some of the northern areas of Russia now are snowless, with driving rain, green grass and flowing rivers. Usually at this time of year, many Siberians drive their vehicles over the thick ice of frozen rivers to their favorite ice fishing spots.

Anna Liesowska (http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/casestudy/features/no-snow-in-siberia-locals-marvel-and-worry-at-the-snow-shortage/) highlights images taken in recent days in two Siberian cities Krasnoyarsk and Barnaul showing scenes that locals insist are unprecedented in living memory. The startling pictures from Krasnoyarsk show an almost total absence of snow yet as every school child around the world knows, snow is what Siberia is all about.

The snow shortage in Siberia during the past few weeks in the latest weather to defy expectations this year. The summer saw bikinis in the Arctic, as residents in Norilsk sunned themselves in temperatures as warm as Nice and Naples.

But the Far East of Russia experienced devastating floods over many weeks, from which locals are still recovering as the Amur River spilled its banks.
Recently, experts have sounded warnings about the impact of climate change, with one warning that the energy-rich Yamal Peninsula in Siberia could be flooded due to a rise in sea levels - along with some famous cities.

Alexei Kokorin, head of the WWF project 'Climate and Energy' predicts a one metre rise in ocean levels by the end of the century. 'The problem of flooding will primarily affect tropical countries and such metropolises as Hong Kong, Calcutta, Shanghai - they will simply cease to exist. In Russia, in danger of being flooded are the Yamal Peninsula, the federal city of St Petersburg and the Leningrad region.
'
'We should prepare for extremes of heat, an increase in drought (the difference will be noticeable in the next 10-20 years). With the increase in average temperature may appear insects, unusual for a particular locality. Speaking globally, in the coming decades climate will become even more unstable: the number of hazards (ice rains, drought, floods) will increase by two to three times. And Russia is no exception.

N2NH
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
When I was little I called those "cat-nose engines". The only cool diesel engines AFAIC. Too bad they took that one out of service in 2005.

Yah. There were two left as standby engines on an isolated line of MetroNorth in Connecticut. They were pretty unique in their dual-powered role Diesel outside of NYC and electric (3rd rail) in the city. The new engines are big and boxy, but do a pretty good job and are more powerful. Apparently lighter too as it doesn't have the A1A-B wheel arrangement of the FL-9 - needed for the Park Ave. Viaduct to Grand Central Terminal. It redistributed the weight.

http://i42.tinypic.com/xbh9ie.jpg

ON TOPIC: 65 here and snow's gone.

n2ize
12-23-2013, 12:47 PM
No thunder here, but a lot of overnight fog with some rain and temps that rose from 38 to 61oF right now. The foot plus snow on the ground is all but gone.

Yeah, no thunder down here either (so far). The friend upstate who was getting the thunder is a long ways upstate relative to your location, he's in the Adirondacks. BTW the cold front is finally starting to come through here. Heavy rains and winds picking up.

n2ize
12-23-2013, 12:49 PM
It was even warm in the Yukon Territory this weekend. It got as high as 7 degrees F in Dawson City.