PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into robotics

K7SGJ
12-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Sparkfun looks like they are now carrying some interesting stuff. Robotic building blocks and parts, plus Rasberry Pi, Arduino, and a bunch of other stuff.

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1345?utm_source=SparkFun+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=db9ecec2a1-actobotics_newsletter12_19_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa5287abaf-db9ecec2a1-60599425

KG4CGC
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
SHHHH!
No one here like robotics.
shhhh.

K7SGJ
12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
SHHHH!
No one here like robotics.
shhhh.

Some people here ARE robotics.

KG4CGC
12-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Agreed. Robo-pokers.

OK, what you got on robotics. I want to build one that hovers using guitar pick ups.

K7SGJ
12-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Speak with NSA, I'm sure they have several.

NQ6U
12-20-2013, 04:36 PM

In fact, I'm nothing more than a simple AI running on a Commodore 64 in someone's closet.

NA4BH
12-20-2013, 04:41 PM
In fact, I'm nothing more than a simple AI running on a Commodore 64 in someone's closet.

Artificial Insemination? EEeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww

KG4CGC
12-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Speak with NSA, I'm sure they have several.

Most guitar pick ups become electro magnets when you run DC through them. Just like the nail and wire wrap we all made in school.
Now, imagine running high frequency AC through one that is modulated to repel gravity in varying degrees.

N8OBM
12-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Most guitar pick ups become electro magnets when you run DC through them. Just like the nail and wire wrap we all made in school.
Now, imagine running high frequency AC through one that is modulated to repel gravity in varying degrees.

Guitar pickups are made using permanent magnets to begin with. Fender typically uses Alnico 5 for the pole pieces. Very early on they used Alnico 2. On the Mexican made Stratocasters they use mild steel for the pole pieces with a pair or ceramic bar magnets underneath. Gibson used mild steel for the pole pieces and a bar magnet underneath the coils. The earlier ones were either Alnico 2 or Alnico 5 but later on in the late 70's they started using ceramic magnets. The coils are usually wound from #42 or #43 wire so, You can't put much current through them.

Good luck with your project.

Archie N8OBM

KG4CGC
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Guitar pickups are made using permanent magnets to begin with. Fender typically uses Alnico 5 for the pole pieces. Very early on they used Alnico 2. On the Mexican made Stratocasters they use mild steel for the pole pieces with a pair or ceramic bar magnets underneath. Gibson used mild steel for the pole pieces and a bar magnet underneath the coils. The earlier ones were either Alnico 2 or Alnico 5 but later on in the late 70's they started using ceramic magnets. The coils are usually wound from #42 or #43 wire so, You can't put much current through them.

Good luck with your project.

Archie N8OBM
I was trying to simplify the concept. It has already been done to a small degree with hoverboards although now we are told that they never existed. Seen one in use back in the 90s. Very simple. Hard to balance on.

n2ize
12-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I was trying to simplify the concept. It has already been done to a small degree with hoverboards although now we are told that they never existed. Seen one in use back in the 90s. Very simple. Hard to balance on.

True anti-gravity devices never existed. devices that simulate anti-gravity do exists however the are not true antigravity devices. At present antigravity is about as feasible as zero-point energy.

kb2vxa
12-24-2013, 06:21 AM
"Guitar pickups are made using permanent magnets to begin with."
So were magnetic phono cartridges, GE made one of the first, a "variable reluctance" mono pickup used in broadcast turntables. I used to have one kicking around that came from a local AM station I kept just for fun, my Empire Troubadour already had their classic high compliance stereo unit.

Back to robotics, once upon an OBARC club meeting that if memory serves was held at the Elks Lodge in Manahawkin, NJ before moving to the Community Center, a member brought his wheeled robot built entirely from scratch. It used 6M for remote control, 70cM ATV and 2M simplex for talk-back, after the meeting he sent it into the bar next to the meeting hall for a little fun. We watched the monitor as he sent it up to some of the bar flies and said hello, they had some rather interesting and funny conversations with his miniature version of WALL-E.